Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Re: Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox?

The next manager must be sabermetric friendly, and a stat guru which is what John Henry wants.     Communication skills are of lesser importance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I just heard his name mentioned on the Baseball show and I think it makes a LOT of sense.

Tony Pena.

I like it. High character guy, knows how to handle a pitching staff, has managerial experience. Seems to be someone who garners a lot of respect within the clubhouse.

He'd be my early choice. I don't really like anyone on the list above. Valentine, BIG NO. Wakamatsu lost the Mariners before getting the Axe, no thanks. I don't see Hale as the answer. Martinez/Hillman...I don't know too much.

Tony Pena for Manager, 2012.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox?:
    [QUOTE]I just heard his name mentioned on the Baseball show and I think it makes a LOT of sense. Tony Pena. I like it. High character guy, knows how to handle a pitching staff, has managerial experience. Seems to be someone who garners a lot of respect within the clubhouse. He'd be my early choice. I don't really like anyone on the list above. Valentine, BIG NO. Wakamatsu lost the Mariners before getting the Axe, no thanks. I don't see Hale as the answer. Martinez/Hillman...I don't know too much. Tony Pena for Manager, 2012.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]
    Total agreement here. Tony Pena led the Royals to their only winning season in the last 17 years. High character as you said. He'd be right for this job.

Also a big NO to Valentine ... what everyone see in this guy escapes me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Regardless who the manager is, they will take their marching orders from BILL JAMES- the real coach behind the scenes.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

"Valentine has been on a handful of interviews the past few years" ....  didn't get any of them...'nuff said

My hope is the Sox FO does as well filling the position as they did in 2004

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

Kevin Millar? Eric Wedge i think would be a good fit. Who really wants to go to Boston now after they just let the best manager go? Ownership and management have  shown their true colors, we screw up let's get rid of the best managers in the game. Money does not make a team a team of players that have no egos and play the game as a team at any cost win games. Crawford and a few others who are grabbing big money should be ashamed of yourselves, but if someone is dumb enough to give it to you then they should be let go. Thanks Tito you are well respected in my book. You have nothing to prove, good luck in your next endeavour.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from darrenryan. Show darrenryan's posts

Lou Pinella haha.....love to see that guy explode on umps every other game....he is the fire that this team needs....but he's retired

so i will go with Eric Wedge

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]Regardless who the manager is, they will take their marching orders from BILL JAMES - the real coach behind the scenes.
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]

...and maybe this is where the REAL problem lies for the Sox acquiring talent - BILL JAMES!!

The Sox best players were drafted by the team and were not directly included in the Bill James sabermetrics bullcrap since it is more a best available talent thing.

One huge gap I see in James sabermetrics is it does not measure attitude or ability to handle big market type pressures.

Now back on topic...I think Tony Pena would be a decent choice, the Baseball Show also mentioned Eric Wedge, but he's under contract with the Mariners.

Names the MUST BE REMOVED from consideration are the dinosaurs Torre, Valentine and Pinella.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Bill Lee.

(Who says I have no sense of humor?)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]The next manager must be sabermetric friendly, and a stat guru which is what John Henry wants.     Communication skills are of lesser importance.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

Live by stats alone...

Die (and you will die) by stats...alone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox? : ...and maybe this is where the REAL problem lies for the Sox acquiring talent - BILL JAMES!! The Sox best players were drafted by the team and were not directly included in the Bill James sabermetrics bullcrap since it is more a best available talent thing. One huge gap I see in James sabermetrics is it does not measure attitude or ability to handle big market type pressures. Now back on topic...I think Tony Pena would be a decent choice, the Baseball Show also mentioned Eric Wedge, but he's under contract with the Mariners. Names the MUST BE REMOVED from consideration are the dinosaurs Torre, Valentine and Pinella.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]
     the biggest issue  to me is  like you said it does not take into account if the player can play in a  atmosphere like boston

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jim Leyalnd. 

His contract runs out this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]Jim Leyalnd.  His contract runs out this year.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Would he be available? I would think that Detroit will try to hang on to him. Besides, why would he leave there to take on the mess in Boston?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Terry Francona

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Image Detail

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nirree. Show nirree's posts

Pitching Coach should be

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]ESPN's Buster Olney reports that Bobby Valentine "has support in at least one important corner of the Boston front office" and "presumably" will get an interview for their vacant managerial position. Valentine is currently an ESPN analyst but has been looking to get back into managing and been on a handful of interviews the last few years. Olney speculates that other candidates for the job could include Giants manager Bruce Bochy, Mariners manager Eric Wedge and Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin. He notes that Bochy and Red Sox GM Theo Epstein know each other from their days in San Diego together, though that could be a moot point if Epstein winds up with the Cubs' GM job. Other names that have popped up as possibilities include Blue Jays bench coach Don Wakamatsu, Dodgers bench coach Trey Hillman, Diamondbacks bench coach Alan Trammell and Orioles third base coach John Russell.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]
    Please, not Wedge. He was the only manager that was worse than Francona, when Wedge was in Cleveland.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox? : Would he be available? I would think that Detroit will try to hang on to him. Besides, why would he leave there to take on the mess in Boston?
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

The mess in Boston had the best or second best record in baseball until Sept. happened. Francona rested the players for crunch time and it cost him, and the team, a place in the playoffs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boissroy. Show boissroy's posts

Joe Maddon. Give them Lackey, Lowrie, and any other complaining and hurts players

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Jim Leyland would be fine, but it is Epstein who is responsible for the 3 year debacle. VMart was a great clubhouse leader who Epstein faked on.

To sustain title success in MLB, the three pillars are:

1. Competent GM (he picks players to develop and discard and acquire)
    1. Strong MLBPA member player leadership (Not in great supply) 
    2. Ownership committed to winning
    3. Manager

GM is responsible for strong player leaders on payroll.

Red Sox have zero confidence GM in Epstein. Until he is fired, there will be no sustained success.

Sections
Shortcuts