Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox?

In Response to Re: Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox?:
    Kevin Millar? Eric Wedge i think would be a good fit. Who really wants to go to Boston now after they just let the best manager go? Ownership and management have  shown their true colors, we screw up let's get rid of the best managers in the game. Money does not make a team a team of players that have no egos and play the game as a team at any cost win games. Crawford and a few others who are grabbing big money should be ashamed of yourselves, but if someone is dumb enough to give it to you then they should be let go. Thanks Tito you are well respected in my book. You have nothing to prove, good luck in your next endeavour.
    Posted by vertmont

tito is a pretty good manger, and grateful he helped us to 2 ws wins, but joe madden is twice the mgr tito is (re tito is the best manager in baseball).
    and this year proved he is not. he lost the clubhouse and is too friendly to the players

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Joe Maddon. Give them Lackey, Lowrie, and any other complaining and hurts players
    Posted by boissroy

no reason for maddon to leave tampa, but id jump on it in a second if he would.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox? : Would he be available? I would think that Detroit will try to hang on to him. Besides, why would he leave there to take on the mess in Boston?
    Posted by antibody

His contract ends this year: that means he's available. Detroit can try all they want to hang on to him, but if we offer more he may come here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Jim Leyland again. Seriously, what makes anyone think that Leyland would take the job?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Approved by both Bosox1941 & the Sox veterans

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Approved by both Bosox1941 & the Sox veterans
    Posted by georom4

Someone get that monkey a beer!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Bochy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

In Response to Re: Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox? : The mess in Boston had the best or second best record in baseball until Sept. happened. Francona rested the players for crunch time and it cost him, and the team, a place in the playoffs.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

Now to are concentrating Tito's failure on Sept.? Weren't you against him everyday for the last four seasons - every day? Try to be a bit honest, sincere, and consistent. You disliked his every move every day and now you are only talking about Sept.?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In Response to Re: Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox? : Total agreement here. Tony Pena led the Royals to their only winning season in the last 17 years. High character as you said. He'd be right for this job. Also a big NO to Valentine ... what everyone see in this guy escapes me.
    Posted by LloydDobler

I have always wondered this myself.  He seems too full of himself to be an effective manager.  .490 is not gonna get it done!

I have always liked Pena.  Isn't he a Yankee coach right now?  He's been around some good managers and teams, so why not?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In Response to Re: Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox? : no reason for maddon to leave tampa, but id jump on it in a second if he would.
    Posted by bredbru

Me three!  He'd light a fire unders some buns and get some results.  Plus-he could help Crawford gain some more comfort.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nirree. Show nirree's posts

Bud Black would be perfect but he's on contract through 2013

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

LaRussa and Duncan as a team. Or one of the Rays Top guys Hickey or Martinez.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Tony LaRussa if he'd consider it and is available.  The Red Sox would have to make a ridiculous offer to woo him.   Personally, I don't care for him and his monstrous ego, but I have enormous respect for his managerial talents.  While the FO is going to have to give him a lot more leeway than anybody else, I know that LaRussa is a numbers guy and would not likely be dismissive of the FO.  I like the idea of Leyland as well, but I'm not sure he'd be as receptive to input form the Sabermetric geeks.  I also sense Leyland can be very sensitive at times and may not not respond well to the Boston media.  LaRussa will likely create major stirs as well, but I sense he has the thickest emotional shell out there, so the public blowups will just be par for the course.  His ego may thrive on the challenge.

I think they need a manager with this kind of stature at this time given the contracts they are beholden to.  They just can't afford to scrap all the problem children and will have to find a way to work with them.  They may also come up a little short in critical areas like pitching given their current position and limitations of the market and need a miracle worker to gain any extra edge possible to succeed within the AL Beast. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox?:
    Boston Globe: DAVE MARTINEZ, Rays bench coach Age: 47 History: A moderately successful big leaguer for 16 seasons, he’s been Joe Maddon’s lead assistant in Tampa since 2007. DON WAKAMATSU, Blue Jays bench coach Age: 48 History: In line with the Sox’ way of statistical influence, and turned 101-loss Mariners into 85-game winners in 2009. TREY HILLMAN, Dodgers bench coach Age: 48 History: Parlayed success in Japan to top job with Kansas City for two full years, fired just 35 games into last season. DeMARLO HALE, Red Sox bench coach Age: 50 History: Sox third base coach from 2006-09 and bench coach for two years. Last managed in 2001 with Texas’s Triple A team. BOBBY VALENTINE, ESPN analyst Age: 61 History: Career winning percentage of .490 in 15 years running Rangers and Mets, with two tenures managing in Japan
    Posted by 2004Idiots

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Who is your choice as next manager of the Red Sox?:
    Boston Globe: DAVE MARTINEZ, Rays bench coach Age: 47 History: A moderately successful big leaguer for 16 seasons, he’s been Joe Maddon’s lead assistant in Tampa since 2007. DON WAKAMATSU, Blue Jays bench coach Age: 48 History: In line with the Sox’ way of statistical influence, and turned 101-loss Mariners into 85-game winners in 2009. TREY HILLMAN, Dodgers bench coach Age: 48 History: Parlayed success in Japan to top job with Kansas City for two full years, fired just 35 games into last season. DeMARLO HALE, Red Sox bench coach Age: 50 History: Sox third base coach from 2006-09 and bench coach for two years. Last managed in 2001 with Texas’s Triple A team. BOBBY VALENTINE, ESPN analyst Age: 61 History: Career winning percentage of .490 in 15 years running Rangers and Mets, with two tenures managing in Japan
    Posted by 2004Idiots

Jesse Ventura

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Bochy.
    Posted by PetesCall

Italian lawn bowling?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from daluedke. Show daluedke's posts

what about varitek ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

To get a players' guy would be foolish as that is who they just fired.  If they are going to shake up the roster, they might as well go whole hog.  Go with Valentine, he is an obnoxious s.o.b. but he knows the game and he will jolt those who need it and if they don't respond, then it's on the front office to replace them.  In five years, they will have tuned Valentine (or whoever of that style) out and the next player's type will be in place.

I can't imnagine not putting out as a player, but then I don't have 1/100th of that talent and don't know what it is like to be in that setting.  Coaches in all sports screw up as do players, but by and large I feel it is on the players to do their best.  Another team may do better, but if you tried and did it right, you hold your head high. If not, you are, apparently the 2011 Sox.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Joe Torre!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sixtor. Show sixtor's posts

Bobby v. is the man! 490? what about Tito's record before 2004?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Joe Girardi or Don Mattingly. Maybe Scoscia

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from esaslaw. Show esaslaw's posts

I have heard that Terry Francona is available, having not be renewed by his former club.  I think he is right guy for this job.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Dustin Pedroia, player-manager.

Except he'd be fired within two months.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

I agree with bredbru Madden would be great   bring in his gm to.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Leyland will be 67 next season. I'd rather not go with a guy knowing there's little chance for a long term relationship there. Another 8 years? 75? I know 8 isn't typical for a Sox manager, but I'd like to think, or hope things will be better than years past (pre-2000).

Varitek, to me, would need to start in the minors. Who knows if he actually has what it takes to be a ML manager, and trying to do so on a team wih former teammates and current friends would make it more difficult.

Tony Pena! Give him a shot. Try something a little different. And yes, he's the Yankees bench coach. He interviewed when Girardi did. Went from 3rd, to 1st, to bench. Typical progession, and I'd expect he WILL be managing somewhere soon. Why not? I'd figure at worst, it doesn't work out, but he always handles himself with class and professionalism. I wonder how much he has to do with the Yankees holding it together?

Sections
Shortcuts