Who joins the Red Sox when the roster expands to 40 players?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Who joins the Red Sox when the roster expands to 40 players?

Here's a look at some of the players who might get called up when the roster expands to 40 players.From ESPNBoston.com:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/13304/soxprospects-com-september-options

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Who joins the Red Sox when the roster expands to 40 players?

In Response to Who joins the Red Sox when the roster expands to 40 players?:
    [QUOTE]Here's a look at some of the players who might get called up when the roster expands to 40 players.From ESPNBoston.com: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/13304/soxprospects-com-september-options
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I would be surprised if they add more than 5-6 guys, since traditionally they do not call up a bunch.....the article has 7 definites and none are veterans(oki, atch, williams eg), so I would think Terry would want some more veteran presence, whihc means some of those definites will not be called up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think there is a good chance that JD Drew will rear his head like Moby Dick....I could be wrong.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Teams in the hunt tend to call up fewer guys then those that are playin out the string and instead try to get thier bench guys more playing time. Without checking the link above I'd have to think they'd like to get a look at Larvarnway against big league pitchers and giving Kalish (if his shoulders holding up) and Iglesias another "cup of coffee" are a few others...Pitcher's like Weiland, Doubront and Ranaundo depending on where thay are with innings and health, could get called up to make a spot start to give the regulars a blow or in the case of Weiland to be used out of the pen?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Who joins the Red Sox when the roster expands to 40 players?:
    [QUOTE]Teams in the hunt tend to call up fewer guys then those that are playin out the string and instead try to get thier bench guys more playing time. Without checking the link above I'd have to think they'd like to get a look at Larvarnway against big league pitchers and giving Kalish (if his shoulders holding up) and Iglesias another "cup of coffee" are a few others...Pitcher's like Weiland, Doubront and Ranaundo depending on where thay are with innings and health, could get called up to make a spot start to give the regulars a blow or in the case of Weiland to be used out of the pen?
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Without checking the link, you hit on the same guys that Sox Prospects did...other than Ranaudo. I think alot of the decions made will be dependant on where the Sox stand playoff wise come 9/1. If they have distanced themselves from the Yanks(and they finish a 3 game series with them on 9/1) then they will call up some kids to give them a taste, but if they are still in a dogfight for the division(and or WC) then terry will want veteran presence added to his bullpen and bench

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Who joins the Red Sox when the roster expands to 40 players?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who joins the Red Sox when the roster expands to 40 players? : Without checking the link, you hit on the same guys that Sox Prospects did...other than Ranaudo. I think alot of the decions made will be dependant on where the Sox stand playoff wise come 9/1. If they have distanced themselves from the Yanks(and they finish a 3 game series with them on 9/1) then they will call up some kids to give them a taste, but if they are still in a dogfight for the division(and or WC) then terry will want veteran presence added to his bullpen and bench
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

I agree...we also have to wait and see what if anything they do duiring the waiver period (trades?).

End of the day, teams use the September call ups for a miriad of reasons. I'm pretty certain that whoever gets the call, it'll be first and foremost to help the team to the finish line and secondly to allow the coaches and scouts to see how the "kids handle the big stage"...I'd love to get a first hand look at Lavarnway facing big league pitching and his approach in working the count...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

My sense is that we would only bring up players that can truly help us during the strech drive. That means some bullpen help for games that are out of hand either way. I really don't see any position players that fit that bill barring injuries to any of our current rostered position players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

To help this year, Oki, Weiland, Drew, maybe Doubront.  I'd like a couple of lefty arms for the BP to go L/R/L/R/L occasionally.  I wouldn't object to have Weiland or Doubront start the occasiona game to give the other SPs a breather, particularly Beckett and Lester.  We won't carry a full roster of pitchers for the ALDS, and maybe not afterwards, so I'd like to see if Drew can contribute.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

I had wondered why Oki has not been called up....now I know. I can't say as I blame him for wanting to be traded after his demotion. He is someone we could use for the PS run but Theo and Tito are obviously holding a grudge.
    Just goes to show they would rather hold him in contempt than do what's best for the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

Weiland, Doubront (barring injury), Kalish, Anderson, and Lavarnway (to rest Salty/Tek).  Iglesias doesn't deserve the call-up considering the way he's played this season.  With Scutaro, Lowrie, Aviles, and Sutton eating up the middle infield slots, his presence is redundant.  Tazawa might get called up, but they seem like they want to take it slow with him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I'd promote Atchison (R), Weiland (R), Bowden (R), Tazawa (R), Williams (L), Doubront (L) and Okajima (L) for the bullpen. There's no reason not to call up all those guys. It enables Francona to go L-R-L-R as much as he wants in the late innings. That's valuable, especially with 25+ games in September. Half of those pitchers can also go 2-3 consecutive innings, which is necessary on a team overusing Aceves.

For position players, I'd add Lavarnway (third catcher, pinch-hitter), Anderson (backup first baseman for Gonzalez, which allows late-inning pinch running), Kalish (pinch-runner, defensive replacement), Sutton (infielder/outfielder depth), and Drew (he's going to get paid either way, might as well let him sit on the bench and make the occasional pinch-hitting appearance).

That's a total of 12 promotions, which I know is a lot, but well within the rules. I bet most of these guys would be used effectively, even in limited fashion.

Sample game, with Red Sox leading by more than 3 in the late innings:

Wakefield 5 IP
    Doubront 1 IP
    Wheeler 1/3 IP, Williams 1/3 IP, Atchison 1/3 IP (R-L-R)
    Okajima 1/3 IP, Albers 1/3 IP, Morales 1/3 IP (L-R-L)
    Bowden 1 IP

PR Kalish for 1B Gonzalez in the 7th; Anderson enters at 1B.
    PH Lavarnway for SS Scutaro in the 7th; PR Sutton for Lavarnway; Sutton remains in the game at SS.
    PH Drew for C Varitek in the 7th; Saltalamachhia enters game as C.
    PR McDonald for DH Ortiz in the 8th.

Then the next night, under similar circumstances, maybe it's Weiland who pitches Doubront's inning and Tazawa who gets Bowden's inning, with Aceves and Bard in the mix for the 7th and 8th, Lowrie starting in place of Scutaro, and Aviles entering the game instead of Sutton.

All of these guys would get used.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Who joins the Red Sox when the roster expands to 40 players?:
    [QUOTE]Here's a look at some of the players who might get called up when the roster expands to 40 players.From ESPNBoston.com: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/13304/soxprospects-com-september-options
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway deserves it and should be added.  Even if he just gets a few AB the experience will be well worth it.  Regardless, we should see a lot of Ryan and Iglesias next season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Atchison has got to come up.  He has pitched lights out for Pawtucket all year. He can be stretched out for 2 or 3 innings and has been around the block so long he IS the block.

A guy like that could help you win a big game here and there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Lowrie should not start.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Lavarnway, Iggy, Kalish, Weiland, Doubrant.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Lavarnway, Iggy, Kalish, Weiland, Doubrant.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

What? No defensive catcher you have called for for 4 and 2/3 years?

(I agree with all your call ups plus Atchison and maybe Bowden. Also, we have to add Lavarnway to the 40-man to bring him up)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Maybe the "real" John Lackey will be added to the roster when it expands

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe we can bring back BHall, Cam and others.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Maybe Ortiz will leave bigoted Boston, so the only dark black face makes way for the new face of the franchise, HOF'er Tim Wakefield, and his new lifetime playing contract.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Moon & Softy,

Respectfully,
    Not sure how race has anything to do with "Who joins the Red Sox when the roster expands to 40 players". if you want to have a social discussion about race relations and/or the ethnicity of players past and present perhaps you guys can start your own thread...so those of us that want to talk baseball in a baseball forum can do so without trying to tackle a 200 year old social problem...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe Ortiz will leave bigoted Boston, so the only dark black face makes way for the new face of the franchise, HOF'er Tim Wakefield, and his new lifetime playing contract.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

Then why would Kemp ever "extend" here?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Moon & Softy, Respectfully, Not sure how race has anything to do with "Who joins the Red Sox when the roster expands to 40 players". if you want to have a social discussion about race relations and/or the ethnicity of players past and present perhaps you guys can start your own thread...so those of us that want to talk baseball in a baseball forum can do so without trying to tackle a 200 year old social problem...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Respectfully, my comment about BHall and Cam had nothing to do with race. It was you who mentioned it here. I was just pointing out two players (along with a defensive catcher) that softy has been crying about for about a year (concerning playing time and letting them go).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who joins the Red Sox when the roster expands to 40 players? : Respectfully, my comment about BHall and Cam had nothing to do with race. It was you who mentioned it here. I was just pointing out two players (along with a defensive catcher) that softy has been crying about for about a year (concerning playing time and letting them go).
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon,
    You and I both know the genesis of your retort to Softy (he's the guy that's constanly bringing up the race card and I'll leave it at that. I'm not a big fan of calling attention to racisim and certainly don't want to encourage further dialog on the matter. I respect where your coming from and I was not implying that your comments were racist or that you're a racist. simply that IMHO this forum and thread in particular is not the place to have said disscusion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m