Who leads Sox in total bases?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Who leads Sox in total bases?

Same guy who leads in runs scored and stolen bases and is tied for 2d in rbi's and leads in hits. 

These are not great achievements.  The Sox are winning on great pitching and timely as opposed to solid hitting--and pretty good defense. 

Four runs off Masterson last night was ridiculous, but they were definitely earned.  In fact, they should have scored more because in two other innings (besides the 3 run 1st) they also had the bases loaded with 1 or no outs. 

Napoli doesn't look like much (but isn't half bad playing 1B), but he has 16 rbi's in 14 games. 

Right now the $39M for 3 years of Victorino look almost like a bargain.  Great D in right, and a real pain for opposing pitchers.  His non-bunts are almost as effective as his superb bunts, as Ellsbury will testify. 

Hitting should improve, but who knows?  Meanwhile, as the Globe headline says, the Sox "pen is mightier" than opposing bats, and the rotation has been remarkably effective. 

We are, however, still in the first inning of another long MLB season. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Who leads Sox in total bases?

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

I stopped at Napoli who is playing very well.

I often wondered what would happen if you drink vodka for breakfast. Your post tells me.

I don't see any wrong with that post.

I don't agree about Napoli.

After a slow start, he's beginning to heat up.

But, that's no reason to slam the post.

Perhaps you should go back to critiquing Softy and Bill.

They're more your speed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Napoli leads the team in RBI's and has 78% more RBI's than the second place guy (Ellsbury).  All of that despite a slow start.

He's been fine at first.

The only issue is the surprising lack of walks.  He usually draws a walk 1 out of 7 at-bats, this year its 1 in 60.

He's a big reason we are winning, but its been a weird year for him.

Usually he's about walking and power.  This year he's about timely hitting and doubles.  Leads the AL in doubles.  Weird.

If the timely doubles remain and the power and walks come....watch out

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Napoli isn't anyting other than a #5 hitter.... we need a clean-up hitter asap

Can you meet in the middle?  How about:

Napoli is a good #5 hitter, but he really isnt a cleanup hitter.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

That is okay with me. But Ortiz and Napoli as your 4, 5 is not like something you brag about. Especially when one or the other will be on the DL. You have to remeber we had Manny/Ortiz a long time..... it isn't the same.

This is unfair. It was a historical duo(and they were probably on juice). Will Middlebrooks is going to be the cleanup hitter in the future.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

That is okay with me. But Ortiz and Napoli as your 4, 5 is not like something you brag about. Especially when one or the other will be on the DL. You have to remeber we had Manny/Ortiz a long time..... it isn't the same.

If they are healthy, I think its a good 4,5 combo, but thats a big if.  I'll be holding my breath all season that they both remain healthy.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I often wondered what would happen if you drink vodka for breakfast. Your post tells me.

They're more your speed.

I've never seen this guy Conan post anything of value, only vitriol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

They're more your speed.

I've never seen Conan post anything of value, only vitriol.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Funny how softlaw can never find anything good to say about the Sox, even when they are 10-4, which is their best start in quite some time.  Why can't he say anything good?  Because he has made up his mind he and only he should be the Sox GM, and certainly not Theo Epstein, who he assured us on a weekly basis was a disaster, and certainly not Ben Cherington.

My OP was not intended to trumpet any particular player as much as it was to comment on how well all the pieces fit together.  Terrific pitching, just enough hitting, and pretty good defense.  And softlaw just can't stand that.  To him Red Sox success is worse than the curse of the bambino. 

softlaw wants Iglesias and Bradley to play every day, and probably so do most of the rest of us.  The difference is we are willing to be a little bit patient and don't mind seeing Nava in LF or Drew at SS out there in the interim.  I also think those young guys are great fun to watch because great defense is always that way.  But the prose of winning baseball is getting hits, and right now Nava/Gomes and Drew have the potential to do that better. 

Victorino might wear out, but I hope not.  If he does, maybe Bradley will be ready to come back because he too has a great arm. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to PaulLaCourse's comment:

They're more your speed.

I've never seen Conan post anything of value, only vitriol.

You mean its not my imagination?

17. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts