Who leads this team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Who leads this team?

First, that's a tall order for one player, so Peter Abraham or someone else recently wrote that the opinion leaders on the Boston Red Sox are AGon, Youkilis, Pedroia, Ortiz, Beckett, and Lester.  All good choices, all established, even excellent players. Plus, really, all six are having pretty good years in 2011. 

And through the first 3-4 months, at least until the All-Star Game, I think you can make a case that AGon was very possibly the leader.  He was hitting up a storm, plus he is articulate and not afraid to state his opinion.  And he was willing to play right field twice in that NL road trip from heck. 

But right now the Sox are struggling a little, and watching these three games against Tampa suggest that, of the opinion leaders, only Lester is putting his performance where his mouth is. 

AGon in particular is struggling.  In August he has 0 dingers and just 2 rbi's, and he wasn't much better in July after the All-Star game.  In August Pedey has 1 dinger and 5 rbi's and Youk 2 dingers and 4 rbi's.  Of the opinion leaders, only Ortiz has delivered in August with 4 dingers and 11 rbi's, but now he is riding the pine and could go on the DL with a bad foot. 

I think Ellsbury is the closest the Sox have to a leader in these hard times (which will hopefully be brief).  For the month of August, AGon, Pedroia, Youk, and Ortiz have a collective total of 7 dingers and 27 rbi's, whereas Jake has 5 dingers and 16 rbi's by himself.  Not too shabby. 

Ironically, there is no way Ellsbury can lead this team.  Last year one of the opinion leaders, Youkilis, unwisely and publicly chastised him for going to Arizona to get healed.  Worse, no one on the team defended Ellsbury--least of all, any of opinion leaders (as far as I know). 

So I think that makes Ellsbury a bit of a pariah.  This year, given the opportunity to back off a little from his rather strident statement last year, Youkilis stoutly maintained that he was taught you stay with the team no matter what and that was that. 

So right now my answer to the title question is:  no one.  It can't be Francona, of course, because a real leader must lead by example. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Who leads this team?

In Response to Who leads this team?:
    [QUOTE]First, that's a tall order for one player, so Peter Abraham or someone else recently wrote that the opinion leaders on the Boston Red Sox are AGon, Youkilis, Pedroia, Ortiz, Beckett, and Lester.  All good choices, all established, even excellent players. Plus, really, all six are having pretty good years in 2011.  And through the first 3-4 months, at least until the All-Star Game, I think you can make a case that AGon was very possibly the leader.  He was hitting up a storm, plus he is articulate and not afraid to state his opinion.  And he was willing to play right field twice in that NL road trip from heck.  But right now the Sox are struggling a little, and watching these three games against Tampa suggest that, of the opinion leaders, only Lester is putting his performance where his mouth is.  AGon in particular is struggling.  In August he has 0 dingers and just 2 rbi's, and he wasn't much better in July after the All-Star game.  In August Pedey has 1 dinger and 5 rbi's and Youk 2 dingers and 4 rbi's.  Of the opinion leaders, only Ortiz has delivered in August with 4 dingers and 11 rbi's, but now he is riding the pine and could go on the DL with a bad foot.  I think Ellsbury is the closest the Sox have to a leader in these hard times (which will hopefully be brief).  For the month of August, AGon, Pedroia, Youk, and Ortiz have a collective total of 7 dingers and 27 rbi's, whereas Jake has 5 dingers and 16 rbi's by himself.  Not too shabby.  Ironically, there is no way Ellsbury can lead this team.  Last year one of the opinion leaders, Youkilis, unwisely and publicly chastised him for going to Arizona to get healed.  Worse, no one on the team defended Ellsbury--least of all, any of opinion leaders (as far as I know).  So I think that makes Ellsbury a bit of a pariah.  This year, given the opportunity to back off a little from his rather strident statement last year, Youkilis stoutly maintained that he was taught you stay with the team no matter what and that was that.  So right now my answer to the title question is:  no one.  It can't be Francona, of course, because a real leader must lead by example. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I vote for Lackey max :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

IMO Pedroia is the leader of this team both on and off the field. He goes all out on every play, and from what I've read keeps team loose in the club house.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

attic-dan, an excellent choice, Pedroia.  Last night we saw him make two terrific defensive plays, but they were all for nought thanks to the bonehead play (s) by Lowrie. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Pedey and Papi - just like MasterBlaster in Mad Max beyond Thunderdome

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Leaders are overrated, just ask Curt Schilling and Carl Yastrzemski and Tom Brady and Tim Thomas and well, you know, leaders. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Henry's greenery.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Ortiz, as usual. If he is unable to return healthy to 2011 season form, this team is toast. There are players who play and make the team play better as a team. There are players who play fantastic and do nothing to make the team play better as a team. It's been called chemistry, but it's the intangible of inspirational leadership.

Once Ortiz goes, it will be Pedroia. Lowrie and Ellsbury should be replaced, and soon will be. Theo already made the decision to replace Ellsbury, something he cant reverse, even if he admits regrets. Lowrie has been a Theo pet project for years. No way he can replace Youk when Youk goes, nor be the future everyday SS. Writing is on the wall for Lowrie, a player even Theo's execuses have run out on. Lowrie is a grumbling excuse maker. No way does he fit as a UIFer because he cant field an IF position other than first, without a butcher affect. He can't hit RHp and has no pop of any significance. 

Mid season, Theo had an opportunity to adjust and improve team balance and purge this team of albatrosses, but he chose to vacillate on the status quo. This team is floundering during the tipping point of the teeth of dog days schedule of division race. Unless it rights itself by going better than .500 out of KC and Texas, short of an injury to core Yankee starter, the AL homefield race is over.

If Buch returns effective, in time for PS, this team is still a contender for title. But, construction cracks are large, and massive Theo budget money spent allocation decisions is not going to produce a well oiled machine like PA.

It will take injury to core Philly pitcher or Yankee player for this Red Sox team to win it all. In other words, while no one will care if a title is won, this Red Sox team will have to back into it.

Catching defense is embarrassingly poor. Salty has improved but Varitek can hardly stand up. I'll take Lavarnway and inexperienced mistakes over Varitek and experienced ineptness.

OF balance does not exist.

Bench of Lowrie, Mac and Aviles is embarrassing.

Staring pitching is marginal and not impressive.

Enough to get in, but short of injuries to NY and PA, not enough to get out.

2010 and 2011 for Lackey and 2011 for Crawford are a total deriliction of duty on responsiblity to the team.

In KC and Texas, my eyes will be on Lackey and Crawford, and my eyes will be wishful but no confidence.

Buch's return is the single most important shot in the arm for this post season.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Who leads this team?:
    [QUOTE]First, that's a tall order for one player, so Peter Abraham or someone else recently wrote that the opinion leaders on the Boston Red Sox are AGon, Youkilis, Pedroia, Ortiz, Beckett, and Lester.  All good choices, all established, even excellent players. Plus, really, all six are having pretty good years in 2011.  And through the first 3-4 months, at least until the All-Star Game, I think you can make a case that AGon was very possibly the leader.  He was hitting up a storm, plus he is articulate and not afraid to state his opinion.  And he was willing to play right field twice in that NL road trip from heck.  But right now the Sox are struggling a little, and watching these three games against Tampa suggest that, of the opinion leaders, only Lester is putting his performance where his mouth is.  AGon in particular is struggling.  In August he has 0 dingers and just 2 rbi's, and he wasn't much better in July after the All-Star game.  In August Pedey has 1 dinger and 5 rbi's and Youk 2 dingers and 4 rbi's.  Of the opinion leaders, only Ortiz has delivered in August with 4 dingers and 11 rbi's, but now he is riding the pine and could go on the DL with a bad foot.  I think Ellsbury is the closest the Sox have to a leader in these hard times (which will hopefully be brief).  For the month of August, AGon, Pedroia, Youk, and Ortiz have a collective total of 7 dingers and 27 rbi's, whereas Jake has 5 dingers and 16 rbi's by himself.  Not too shabby.  Ironically, there is no way Ellsbury can lead this team.  Last year one of the opinion leaders, Youkilis, unwisely and publicly chastised him for going to Arizona to get healed.  Worse, no one on the team defended Ellsbury--least of all, any of opinion leaders (as far as I know).  So I think that makes Ellsbury a bit of a pariah.  This year, given the opportunity to back off a little from his rather strident statement last year, Youkilis stoutly maintained that he was taught you stay with the team no matter what and that was that.  So right now my answer to the title question is:  no one.  It can't be Francona, of course, because a real leader must lead by example. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

John Henry !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

i don't know who LEADS this team, but i do know who BLEEDS it: epstein.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I thought it was supposed to be the captain?