Who NOW is likeable on this team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Who NOW is likeable on this team?

I asked the question on opening day, and most people were disgusted with me for daring to even ask.

Well, most of the season has played out, they are certainly not headed anywhere, and in light of this recent mutinous news...I ask again, what players are likeable on this team?

I started the season mentioning Lester and Saltalamacchia as players I LIKED, with Pedroia being more liked than not but no 'slam dunk'. I also mentioned Crawford as someone I was pulling for.

I will add Cody Ross, he's been a non-distraction for the most part (though his 3 day benching for playing a ball into a triple was disturbing) and has produced. He seems to have a good attitude.

Obviously Ciriaco and Middlebrooks have little to be complained about.

People who I wasn't a huge fan of to begin with, and have taken a step back even from THAT:

Beckett
    Ortiz
    Pedroia (not with the above two though)

The most striking and obvious thing to me is those 3 players listed above SHOULD be the unquestionable leaders of this team and have been anything but with constant griping about a myriad of issues.

I think back to Pedroia saying "We don't do that around here, he'll figure that out soon enough." I kind of read into that now and wonder if Pedey KNEW management was going to speak to him. I don't know, curious wording, go back and watch for yourself, he looks awfully smug.

This team is entitled and pampered and complain about the most absurd things I've heard PROFESSIONALS whine about. It's disgusting. Wholesale changes must happen to change the identity of a team that has severely lost it's way.

The masses are growing, getting louder, and contrary to what the excuse makers and management would have you believe, it is NOT media driven. It's driven by people without blinders on who are tired of watching these spoiled brats act like children. I've seen better discipline on little league teams.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Who NOW is likeable on this team?

Good post. Pedroia sounds like a backstabber because his cribbage buddy Francona was fired.

And Gonzalez, wow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I like them all as they wear the RED SOX uniform.
    How they like or dislike their management has no bearing on that.
    Mainly because we actually may know only 10% (if that) of what goes on.

He11 I loved Elston Howard (a NEW YORK YANKEE) when he was traded to the RS in 1967.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Who NOW is likeable on this team?:
    [QUOTE]Good post. Pedroia sounds like a backstabber because his cribbage buddy Francona was fired. And Gonzalez, wow.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Gonzo is turning into what we thought he was - not carved out for Boston

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who NOW is likeable on this team? : Gonzo is turning into what we thought he was - not carved out for Boston
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

what makes you say this?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Manny is still my favorite Red Sox player going back the last 10 years. Nothing that he has done here or after, or what any other players have done here or after him has changed that feeling. Apparently the players didn't care for his antics, which were pre-meditated to force a trade after the Sox refused to re-up his 20 million after the 07 WS. He acted immaturely, I'll admit it. He always did though, so why was that a surprise back then? The manager after the fact finally conceded he got nightsweats trying to keep him from running amok. But you know what? The Sox won 2 WS titles with that guy, it was Camelot for the fans and for the media and now it's who is likeable on this team? You know what, Manny Ramirez is likeable, so yeah, I still like Pedroia, Lester, Gonzalez and guys who actually try to compete even if they have slumped or had issues.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I am seeing an equation that goes something like:  Player underperforming = unlikeable & a moment or two of inferred bad attitude > totality of actual performance

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

This is gonna be a very short list.  Before the season started it was a long list.  But 2 guys in particular have really hurt the character of the team.  Papi for one.  Does he really have to cry about making 8 figures EVERY year!!  He needs to live like Joe the plumber for a week and I bet the contract crying stops.  And Pedey.  It pains me to say that he really hung BV out to dry.  He's a leader, the so-called de-facto 'Captain' and he should have been the first to get on board with Bobby instead of his "that's not the way we do things here" BS.  It's getting tougher to find likeable guys on this team.  Tougher every day......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Pedroia was defending Youkilis, DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER THAT IS WAS BV WHO GOT PEDROIA TALKING IN THE FIRST PLACE? NOPE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

[QUOTE]Pedroia was defending Youkilis, DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER THAT IS WAS BV WHO GOT PEDROIA TALKING IN THE FIRST PLACE? NOPE
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Youk's a big boy.  He can take care of himself.  Someone should've told Pedey, "Guess what?  That IS the way we do things now.  All you players had it good with Tito but, you all took advantage, so now you get a little old school.  Shut up and go play second base"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Who NOW is likeable on this team?:
    [QUOTE]I asked the question on opening day, and most people were disgusted with me for daring to even ask. Well, most of the season has played out, they are certainly not headed anywhere, and in light of this recent mutinous news...I ask again, what players are likeable on this team? I started the season mentioning Lester and Saltalamacchia as players I LIKED, with Pedroia being more liked than not but no 'slam dunk'. I also mentioned Crawford as someone I was pulling for. I will add Cody Ross, he's been a non-distraction for the most part (though his 3 day benching for playing a ball into a triple was disturbing) and has produced. He seems to have a good attitude. Obviously Ciriaco and Middlebrooks have little to be complained about. People who I wasn't a huge fan of to begin with, and have taken a step back even from THAT: Beckett Ortiz Pedroia (not with the above two though) The most striking and obvious thing to me is those 3 players listed above SHOULD be the unquestionable leaders of this team and have been anything but with constant griping about a myriad of issues. I think back to Pedroia saying "We don't do that around here, he'll figure that out soon enough." I kind of read into that now and wonder if Pedey KNEW management was going to speak to him. I don't know, curious wording, go back and watch for yourself, he looks awfully smug. This team is entitled and pampered and complain about the most absurd things I've heard PROFESSIONALS whine about. It's disgusting. Wholesale changes must happen to change the identity of a team that has severely lost it's way. The masses are growing, getting louder, and contrary to what the excuse makers and management would have you believe, it is NOT media driven. It's driven by people without blinders on who are tired of watching these spoiled brats act like children. I've seen better discipline on little league teams.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]I'll go out on a limb and say they're all more likeable than you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]Pedroia was defending Youkilis, DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER THAT IS WAS BV WHO GOT PEDROIA TALKING IN THE FIRST PLACE? NOPE

Did BV put a gun to Pedey's head and force him to opine to the press?  Nope, wrong again Einstein - please accept our lovely parting gift.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yes he did by BV stating that Youkilis wasn't trying hard enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]yes he did by BV stating that Youkilis wasn't trying hard enough.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]Actually he never said that. What he said was that Youk didn't seem to have his A game. Of course I'm paraphrasing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

carnie, it doesn't matter what BV says, it's that the perception by the players that he doesn't have the players trust. That's really what all of this is about. Trust in your leader.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]yes he did by BV stating that Youkilis wasn't trying hard enough.

BV never said that - go back and actually listen to the quote.  And if BV was out of line (and I believe he was a tad), how did it concern Pedey?  He's now the official spokesman of the Sox.  "We don't do things like that here."  Who's we?  Pedey's in management now.  Is he signing the checks?  Is he the department head of the Sox' HR department?  Nope, just a player who made a sticky situation first by whining to the press instead of talking to BV about it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

jesus h. jiminy, you ever hear of paraphrasing. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]carnie, it doesn't matter what BV says, it's that the perception by the players that he doesn't have the players trust. That's really what all of this is about. Trust in your leader.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]The players need to suck it up, but I'm sure I've said that before. They brought BV onto themselves when they quit on Francona, who by the way, I really liked. Bobby was never my first choice for manager after Francona, but I think he at least deserves a real shot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

he's had a great shot, 2 games under .500 shot this late in the season. Time to move on.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

CC got irked, then the mutiny story...all after a 14-1 Sox win...only happens to BV, the guy is jinxed or is a jinx.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]he's had a great shot, 2 games under .500 shot this late in the season. Time to move on.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]You're kidding right? Ben (or Larry) wouldn't even let him name his own coaches. And that's leaving aside the point that the guy who really should be managing the Red Sox still has another year on his current deal. And what manager is going to want to come to Boston knowing they've fired two managers in two years?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]jesus h. jiminy, you ever hear of paraphrasing. 

jeasus h. jiminy, you ever think of logging off?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Right, let's trade Pedroia (double) and dump AGON instead, like your bloodthirsty friends want. Defend BV and finish 10 under, I still think the Sox have a chance. Sorry, to offend you guys who would rather cry about the players then see a situation for what it is--guys not peforming for the manager who doesn't have their support. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Right, let's trade Pedroia (double) and dump AGON instead, like your bloodthirsty friends want. Defend BV and finish 10 under, I still think the Sox have a chance. Sorry, to offend you guys who would rather cry about the players then see a situation for what it is--guys not peforming for the manager who doesn't have their support. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]I just am not seeing why keeping Valentine as manager is mutually exclusive with Pedey and Gonzo still being Red Sox. Am I missing something? You don't have to like your manager to be a very good baseball player. Have you ever worked for a manager you didn't like? I sure have.