Who remembers.....?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Who remembers.....?

In an article on the trick play the Angels recently used to beat the Yankees in the ninth inning, Tori Hunter commented after the game that he hadn't seen this play work since the days when he played in Little League.

For those who missed it, that ol' fake-to-third, throw-to-first pickoff play that never, ever works, worked quite well for rookie closer Jordan Walden who pulled the much-maligned trick with runners on 1b and 3b in the ninth inning and trapped Curtis Granderson off 1b for the final out.

Now my question, I can hazily remember seeing a Red Sox pitcher pull this play off and successfully nab the runner at 1b, but for the life of me, I cannot seem to remember which pitcher it was.  I'm leaning toward Gary Waslewski. 

Anybody else remember the play and the pitcher and year that this occured in the annals of Red Sox history?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Who remembers.....?

I searched the annus of my mind and I don't remember ever having seen that play work. Not even in Little Leage. But it gives me a warm feeling to hear that it worked against the Yankees.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I though Wake did it recently...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In Response to Re: Who remembers.....?:
    [QUOTE]I though Wake did it recently...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]
    yes he did.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Sorry I missed that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

My first thought was Wakefield did it and I see that some of our more astute minds have recalled this also.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Wakefield had one called for a Balk this season and the runners moved up / scored. I know it worked for the Sox this season another time and it may well have been Wakefield since He is the One Sox Pitcher that uses it quite a bit. Nevermind here it is, It was against Seattle on their last trip to boston:

Mid 5th, Red Sox 5-3: Because of his rather basic delivery, Tim Wakefield gets guys on the old fake-to-third-throw-to-first pickoff move more than others.

The casual lift of the left leg looks the same if he goes to home or to third. Someone with a more dramatic delivery cannot pull that off nearly as much.

It worked in the fifth, and may have helped Wakefield limit some damage.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Great research AL...,

Didn't I see you on CSI last season?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chipvan. Show chipvan's posts

I remember Jeff Sellers did it against Alan Wiggins of the Orioles. That was in 1986. On the Granderson one the other night, he was actually trying to steal. He's got to go on first movement and that's what he did. He can't wait until the righty is actually going to the plate. He would get thrown out easily. He did wait until Texeira had two strikes on him. Walden had previously tried it twice and Granderson wasn't fooled.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It may never work in MLB or even in major college today, but it sure still works in Sunday baseball leagues. I use it all the time, and it works a lot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Re: Who remembers.....?:
    [QUOTE]Great research AL..., Didn't I see you on CSI last season?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

No, that was the guy in Toronto, Caught Stealing Ingame Signs !!

Poor attempt at Humor and Thanks but, google actually did the research I just sat here and watched it happen !!  BTW Good luck in the upcoming election !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Wakefield loves to try that play. WAkefield likes to try a lot of things that never work.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I did the play again on Sunday, again it worked...guy from 2nd gets in rundown, we throw out the runner at 3b trying to get back. The 1st and 3rd play is an easy play to orchestrate, and it's an easy play to catch a runner napping, especially if you are going on first pitch, or you are assuming either the pitcher is too slow to the plate or the catcher can't get rid of the ball fast enough. Either way, it's an effective play that can work quite well especially at the college level.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Ya like that one?  Here's another one that works at just about every level:

Situation:  Runners on 1st & 3rd, runner on 1st breaks for 2nd w/ double steal in mind. The runner on 3rd takes a few steps down the line to give himself a bit of a head start. 

Now, what are the catchers trained to do to get the ball to 2nd?  Throw just over the pitcher's head, right?

The pitcher intercepts the ball and makes a snap throw to the 3rd baseman who's covering the bag.  More often than not the runner at 3rd is still looking for the ball - the ball that the runner thinks is on its way to 2nd.  The 3rd baseman catches the ball and tags the runner out.
    This has to happen really quickly but it works an amazing percentage of the time.  I got my own son picked off in a HS intersquad game using that play, and he knew it was coming!