Who Showed up for the Sox Offense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Who Showed up for the Sox Offense?

Holt, Pedroia, & Pierzynski all had multiple hits. JBJ added a hit. Where was the rest of the offense?

Ummm...let's think about this for a second. Does the Red Sox offense really feel as though all their opposing pitchers are pitching the game of their lives against the Red Sox? I wonder if the offense understands their role in making opposing pitchers look like Cy Young winners. Somehow..given those comments..it doesn't seem like it.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_07_01_chnmlb_bosmlb_1&mode=wrap&c_id=bos#gid=2014_07_01_chnmlb_bosmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=bos" rel="nofollow">http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_07_01_chnmlb_bosmlb_1&mode=wrap&c_id=bos#gid=2014_07_01_chnmlb_bosmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=bos

Our offense is once again abysmal...and another great outing by a Sox pitcher that will result in a 'no-decision'.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Re: Who Showed up for the Sox Offense?

I think the opposing teams are making their mark with Ortiz and consistently hitting around him. 

You could see his frustration with his last at bat and the early jaunt to first base. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the opposing teams are making their mark with Ortiz and consistently hitting around him. 

You could see his frustration with his last at bat and the early jaunt to first base. 

[/QUOTE]

Last year..it seemed like he hit a lot to the opposite field. This year it seems like he's really struggling to overcome the shift..so it's either power or nothing. I get that he's a power hitter and his job is power...but with RISP even a base hit means a run. 

I hope the offense as a whole breaks out of this soon..lol. Our pitching staff needs a break.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Before the 2013 season, I did not believe in team chemistry for a MLB team, but last year changed my mind.  This year it sure seems as though some kind of negative chemistry is at work because Ben C brought back most of last year's lineup that led MLB in scoring and OPS.

Pitchers hate errors which give opposing lineups the extra out.  But the same thing applies to boneheaded base running, which Pierzynski and Drew, both veterans, were guilty of last night.  Pierzynski took his time getting to 1B on a potential double, then charged on blithely assuming a bad throw and was out be a mile.  He didn't even bother to slide.  Had he hustled more or stayed at 1B, the Sox would have had two men on base and nobody out.   Then Drew got picked off 1B with a man on 3B.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Last year..it seemed like he hit a lot to the opposite field. This year it seems like he's really struggling to overcome the shift..so it's either power or nothing. I get that he's a power hitter and his job is power...but with RISP even a base hit means a run. 

I hope the offense as a whole breaks out of this soon..lol. Our pitching staff needs a break.

[/QUOTE]

Most of our team is struggling and with the lineup changing daily it just makes it that much more difficult for guys to find a comfort zone in the lineup, or have confidence in the players around you.  Like I said before this team should be 10 to 12 games back by now so the FO really needs to choose what players they plan on packaging for a big bat or two.  Besides Pede, Papi and Nap our lineup changes all the time, we need to solidify a few positions before being a real contender again.  If we lose Jon as a FA to one of our divisional rivals it may take even longer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not really.

http://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts.aspx?playerid=745&position=DH&type=battedball&pid2=745&ss1=2013&se1=2013&ss2=2014&se2=2014&cht1=battedball&cht2=battedball&vs1=ALL&vs2=ALL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

they only pitched around around Ortiz during that last at bat last night.  His 3rd at bat he got a few good pitches, one he let go by that even had remy talking, and he fouled off another good pitch.  Pitching around him the last at bat was the smart thing to do. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

There's no question they are pitching around Ortiz more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Before the 2013 season, I did not believe in team chemistry for a MLB team, but last year changed my mind.  This year it sure seems as though some kind of negative chemistry is at work because Ben C brought back most of last year's lineup that led MLB in scoring and OPS.

Pitchers hate errors which give opposing lineups the extra out.  But the same thing applies to boneheaded base running, which Pierzynski and Drew, both veterans, were guilty of last night.  Pierzynski took his time getting to 1B on a potential double, then charged on blithely assuming a bad throw and was out be a mile.  He didn't even bother to slide.  Had he hustled more or stayed at 1B, the Sox would have had two men on base and nobody out.   Then Drew got picked off 1B with a man on 3B.  

[/QUOTE]

Agree on all points..and not sure what AJ or Drew were thinking. It seemed like AJ wasn't aware that the ball he hit was actually a double until it was too late. He should have stopped at first regardless. This is why it drives me nuts when players don't hustle down that first base line...!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Just to revisit the comments made by Ortiz last week...does anyone else here feel like Carroll pitched the 'game of his life' last night? I don't and this excuse just becomes weaker all the time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

Just to revisit the comments made by Ortiz last week...does anyone else here feel like Carroll pitched the 'game of his life' last night? I don't and this excuse just becomes weaker all the time.

[/QUOTE]

Just like Vidal Nuno pitched the game of his life last week, who actually was traded by the Yankees after that start.

Amazing coincidence David.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts