Who starts the 1 game playoff in Tampa next Thursday?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Who starts the 1 game playoff in Tampa next Thursday?

If you look at the rotation, it would be either Lackey or Weiland.

Perhaps Beckett on 3 days rest could be available for a few innings.  But that's it.  Lester would be pitching on the last game of the season so forget him.  Aceves, well, for whatever reason they won't start him plus if he comes down to the wire how many innings will he be available for in Game #163?

Bedard, Wakefield, and Miller are you other possibles.

But the point is Lester is out and Beckett wouldn't really be available either.

Anyone else here miss Dice-K yet?

P.S.  -  To make matters worse, if by some miracle they can win a game against the Rays, exactly who is your starter in G1 in Detroit vs the V-Man? 

If Beckett doesn't pitch in the playoff game, it's Beckett but...still on SHORT rest......Lester is out.......it'll have to be one of the clowns......A couple more wins in April and a couple more wins against Tampa and we wouldn't be in this mess.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Who starts the 1 game playoff in Tampa next Thursday?

The weather may have a hand in how all this plays out. Starting today and goig all the way to Saturday, heavy rains are expected from the mid-Atlantic States up to the N.E. states. We may see one or two rainouts before this week ends which might really put things into a flux.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Who starts the 1 game playoff in Tampa next Thursday?:
    [QUOTE] alway the optimist
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Just do the logic and tell me if you come up w/ anything different?  Give me a RAY OF HOPE - no pun intended.........

Could you be getting pessimism confused with realism?  That reminds me of yankee fans getting perpetual optimism confused with realism and it smacked them like 10 tons of bricks when Sierra grounded out to Pokey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well, if Rain is a factor then it is going to be mess but.....all things considered I think it could only help us at this point in time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who starts the 1 game playoff in Tampa next Thursday? : Just do the logic and tell me if you come up w/ anything different?  Give me a RAY OF HOPE - no pun intended......... Could you be getting pessimism confused with realism?  That reminds me of yankee fans getting perpetual optimism confused with realism and it smacked them like 10 tons of bricks when Sierra grounded out to Pokey.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

you don't do logic, Andrew. Logic tells me the Sox went through a bad stretch. Last night, the played the way they're capable of. I hope it carries over and continues. The Rays will have to play as well as or better than they have the last week. it's baseball, anything is possible but I think the Sox will steep up and get it done. If not they don't, they dont deserve to be there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Well, if Rain is a factor then it is going to be mess but.....all things considered I think it could only help us at this point in time.

If there is a rainout or two, I think it removes Lackey from a win or go home scenario.

Personally, I still don't see any of this really mattering. The Yanks want the top seed going into the playoffs, so I think they play full out until that is achieved. And Tampa will play victim to them in at least 4 of the 7 games.

Boston is the WC in the AL.

They will beat Detroit and face the Yanks in the ALCS. This I what I think and I am sticking with it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who starts the 1 game playoff in Tampa next Thursday? : you don't do logic, Andrew. Logic tells me the Sox went through a bad stretch. Last night, they played they way they're capable of. I hope it carries over and continues. The Rays will have to play as well as or better than they have the last week. it's baseball, anything is possible but I think the Sox will get it done. If not they don't deserve to be there.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

You don't do logic?  OK, I stop right there.  Thanks for saving me a bunch of time responding to illogical posts  :)

But before I go.....if they played to their capability last night, we are in BIG trouble.....Big Big Big Trouble.  We gave up 9 runs.  Do you think we could score 10+ off of V-Man?  Fister?  Scherzer?  Sabathia?  Nova?  Even Burnett?

Also, they went through more than just a bad streak...It was horrific.  And let us not forget it wasn't the first bad streak this year unless you forgot about April already?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who starts the 1 game playoff in Tampa next Thursday? : If there is a rainout or two, I think it removes Lackey from a win or go home scenario. Personally, I still don't see any of this really mattering. The Yanks want the top seed going into the playoffs, so I think they play full out until that is achieved. And Tampa will play victim to them in at least 4 of the 7 games. Boston is the WC in the AL. They will beat Detroit and face the Yanks in the ALCS. This I what I think and I am sticking with it.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

well, the only team the Sox can beat IS the yankees so........so far I like your scenario the best!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

J-Bay - the Sox did score 18 runs last night against Matusz & company. He of the ERA over 10 and yet they sweated the game out until the bottom of the 7th when they scored 7 against 3 relief picthers with a combined ERA of over 6. I don't think that is playing to your capabilities. If the sore was 15 - 2, then that would have been a different story.

Sox make the W.C. - no question in my mind.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think that has changed Andrew.

Any old way - I am a Yankee fan who roots for a Yanks/Sawx ALCS. 5 hour games which cause me to age one year every 9 innings.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]J-Bay - the Sox did score 18 runs last night against Matusz & company. He of the ERA over 10 and yet they sweated the game out until the bottom of the 7th when they scored 7 against 3 relief picthers with a combined ERA of over 6. I don't think that is playing to your capabilities. If the sore was 15 - 2, then that would have been a different story. Sox make the W.C. - no question in my mind.

jess, they came from behind AGAIN; did what they had to do to win. Lackey was Lackey and they found a way to get it done, regardless. 18 runs are 18 runs, scored them when they need to and when they didnt, without Youk or Crawford. sox bullpen pitched well; every player had at least one hit, other than veritek. games like that can unify and get teams going. hopefully they turned the corner and wont look back

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who starts the 1 game playoff in Tampa next Thursday? :  jess, they came from behind AGAIN. they did what they had to do to win. Lackey was Lackey and they found a way to get it done,  regardless. 18 runs are 18 runs, scored them when they need to and when they didnt. games like that can get teams going.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Again 18 runs against the worst staff in baseball does not make me feel too confident about having to go up against the likes of Verlander, Fister, and Sherzer and then the likes of CJ Wilson......how can you not see that?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]I think that has changed Andrew. Any old way - I am a Yankee fan who roots for a Yanks/Sawx ALCS. 5 hour games which cause me to age one year every 9 innings.

well, there's a lot that has to happen

1)  Sox have to make it

2)  Sox have to get past Detroit

3)  yankees have to get past the Rangers

still possible though

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who starts the 1 game playoff in Tampa next Thursday? :  jess, they came from behind AGAIN; did what they had to do to win. Lackey was Lackey and they found a way to get it done, regardless. 18 runs are 18 runs, scored them when they need to and when they didnt. sox bullpen pitched well; every player had at least one hit, other than veritek. games like that can unify and get teams going. hopefully they turned the corner and wont look back
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Agreed J-bay, they over came a 3 run deficit in the 1st inning with 4 runs in their half of the first. Then they were barely holding on until the O's bullpen imploded onto themselves.

I don't know if you can count one game as a return to form. Only a week ago, the Sox scored 18 runs vs the Blue Jays and that was against a much better pitcher. Then they trudged along for another week until last night.

IMO, the Sox do have a very good team that is in a major funk right now. Maybe you are right that last night will unleash a storm from them, but don't bet the house on it. That is all I am saying. And the pitching has to do better than allowing 6 runs a game. Andrew and I rarely if ever agree, but he does make a good point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Andrew - Texas is not beating NY this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I get Andrew's point Jess. however, that wasn't mine. i'm not counting on anything, but i'm also not counting them out, unless and until they are.  it's baseball, we'll see what happens.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

No matter what the month or year is, Andrewmitch prefers to be miserable, cynical, pessimistic, and glum. It is the born right of a headstrong oldtimer who is obstinate and grumpy. The last time that he smiled was after the 2004 and 2007 World Series and both times that was only for five minutes since he immediately began fretting about the next year. He can't help it. I feel sorry for him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Andrew - Texas is not beating NY this year.

I think Texas could take them again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGlory. Show BostonGlory's posts

Real easy answer: CLAY BUCCHOLZ.

If Clay is healthy enough to throw a baseball and Beckett and Lester are unavailable, Clay starts this game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who starts the 1 game playoff in Tampa next Thursday? : Again 18 runs against the worst staff in baseball does not make me feel too confident about having to go up against the likes of Verlander, Fister, and Sherzer and then the likes of CJ Wilson......how can you not see that?

at this point, wouldnt you be thrilled to get the opportunity to go up against Verlander or CJ Wilson?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Mike Torrez?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Sure if it's Beckett in G1 and if I have Youkilils in the line up.  Of course.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Mike Torrez?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Followed by the Steamer, right?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee---crawful. Show thee---crawful's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who starts the 1 game playoff in Tampa next Thursday? : you don't do logic, Andrew. Logic tells me the Sox went through a bad stretch. Last night, the played the way they're capable of. I hope it carries over and continues. The Rays will have to play as well as or better than they have the last week. it's baseball, anything is possible but I think the Sox will steep up and get it done. If not they don't, they dont deserve to be there.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

the sox won't get it done. they scored a ton of runs against pitchers who were worse than SLACKEY (hard to believe), but making about 79 million less than him.

goodbye theo!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who starts the 1 game playoff in Tampa next Thursday? : Followed by the Steamer, right?

you know it.