Who still wants Iggy Over Aviles?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Who still wants Iggy Over Aviles?

I listened to it all Spring.  In the two seasons Aviles has had more than 400 at bats he hit 325 and 304.  Last year for the Red Sox he hit 317. He hits 290 for his career.

Yet all Spring a lot of people kept saying how horrible he was.  He isn't. 

A lot of people kept saying how ready Iggy is.  He isn't.  He has one extra base hit in 64 at bats in AAA and has made 3 errors, the same as Aviles.

Yes I know Iggy could save a hit or two here or there but in no way would it make up for the fact that Aviles is far superior offensively.  Even if a lot of you didn't know that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Who still wants Iggy Over Aviles?

Here we go again...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Who still wants Iggy Over Aviles?:
    [QUOTE]Here we go again...
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

It's just a head check man.  I listened to it all spring long.  How bad Aviles was.

Obviously all the Iggy love and  Aviles hate can't be gone after three weeks.  Not trying to start an argument, just wondering if all the people that think aviles stinks (in other words people that know nothing about his career) still think so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I still want Iggy at SS, but Aviles has been hitting even better than I expected (which was better than most posters), so the trade off of offense over defense has been in Mike's favor for this small sample size so far. As long as Mike keeps up this pace, you won't hear me being over-critical of the decision, but I doubt he can keep this up all year.

I projected Mike would do as good as Scoot did in his 2 years here and better than Scoot would have done this year (a year older). I thought he was about the same in the field as Scoot, but he might have a little more range. 

I'm happy with what Mike has given us so far, who wouldn't be?  But, I still prefer a great fielding SS to help give an edge back to our pitchers. They are already suffering with Salty calling the shots, a slowed Youk at 3B, and a horrific fielding OF thus far. I think having a stellar fielding SS would go a long way in turning around our staff.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I always thought Aviles was a good offensive player.  He just didn't have much chance to prove himself in the big league.  Trust me I'm more than happy to see Aviles lead this team off like he's the "Ellsbury-lead-off".  and I have no problem with Aviles playing everyday SS over Iggy down at the Paw.  But IF Iggy was hitting like Aviles, it will be a tough decision to make.. All I'm saying is Aviles won his job fair and square. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Who still wants Iggy Over Aviles?:
    [QUOTE]I listened to it all Spring.  In the two seasons Aviles has had more than 400 at bats he hit 325 and 304.  Last year for the Red Sox he hit 317. He hits 290 for his career. Yet all Spring a lot of people kept saying how horrible he was.  He isn't.  A lot of people kept saying how ready Iggy is.  He isn't.  He has one extra base hit in 64 at bats in AAA and has made 3 errors, the same as Aviles. Yes I know Iggy could save a hit or two here or there but in no way would it make up for the fact that Aviles is far superior offensively.  Even if a lot of you didn't know that.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]   Money mouth........  Let's think out of the box here..... Avilies could always play leftfield....  It will be interesting going forward !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Iglesias would be more fun to watch, but I am fine with Aviles and did not think Iggy was ready as a hitter. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Who still wants Iggy Over Aviles? :    ........  Let's think out of the box here..... Avilies could always play leftfield....  It will be interesting going forward !!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

ugh...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Aviles already have 3 errors.  He is currently in second place for making most errors at SS in AL.  If he play a full year, he is on the pace of making 30 plus errors for the season at the same time he would probably cause team's 10 losses.  He already cause the game last saturday.  Last year Boston's SS only made 23 errors.

We cant have SS making that much errors.

Yes hitting is important, but defense is more important!!

If Salty, Shoppach, Youk, etc are hitting well, I could afford to have Iggy to play SS and bat 9th.  But right now these guys are not hitting well, and cant have another batter that cant hit either.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]I still want Iggy at SS, but Aviles has been hitting even better than I expected (which was better than most posters), so the trade off of offense over defense has been in Mike's favor for this small sample size so far. As long as Mike keeps up this pace, you won't hear me being over-critical of the decision, but I doubt he can keep this up all year. I projected Mike would do as good as Scoot did in his 2 years here and better than Scoot would have done this year (a year older). I thought he was about the same in the field as Scoot, but he might have a little more range.  I'm happy with what Mike has given us so far, who wouldn't be?  But, I still prefer a great fielding SS to help give an edge back to our pitchers. They are already suffering with Salty calling the shots, a slowed Youk at 3B, and a horrific fielding OF thus far. I think having a stellar fielding SS would go a long way in turning around our staff.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

You make good points as always.

My major issue was that people seemed to have no idea what Aviles can do with the bat.  If you look at his career when he gets at bats, he hits 300, steals 20 bases and hits 10 home runs.

Despite that it was this constant "who is this bum". All spring long.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Aviles already have 3 errors.  He is currently in second place for making most errors at SS in AL.  If he play a full year, he is on the pace of making 30 plus errors for the season at the same time he would probably cause team's 10 losses.  He already cause the game last saturday.  Last year Boston's SS only made 23 errors. We cant have SS making that much errors. Yes hitting is important, but defense is more important!! If Salty, Shoppach, Youk, etc are hitting well, I could afford to have Iggy to play SS and bat 9th.  But right now these guys are not hitting well, and cant have another batter that cant hit either.  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Iggy has 3 errors at Pawtucket.  So if you are going by errors your point is moot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In Response to Who still wants Iggy Over Aviles?:
    [QUOTE]I listened to it all Spring.  In the two seasons Aviles has had more than 400 at bats he hit 325 and 304.  Last year for the Red Sox he hit 317. He hits 290 for his career. Yet all Spring a lot of people kept saying how horrible he was.  He isn't.  A lot of people kept saying how ready Iggy is.  He isn't.  He has one extra base hit in 64 at bats in AAA and has made 3 errors, the same as Aviles. Yes I know Iggy could save a hit or two here or there but in no way would it make up for the fact that Aviles is far superior offensively.  Even if a lot of you didn't know that.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]I never understood why fans wanted Iggy. Let him develop his hitting skills at AAA. Yes, he is a defensive wizard by anyone's standards. He needs a few hundred more at bats in the minors. The other thing that puzzled me was why fans thought Marco was the answer. Aviles is better and can play many more positions as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]Aviles already have 3 errors.  He is currently in second place for making most errors at SS in AL.  If he play a full year, he is on the pace of making 30 plus errors for the season at the same time he would probably cause team's 10 losses.  He already cause the game last saturday.  Last year Boston's SS only made 23 errors. We cant have SS making that much errors. Yes hitting is important, but defense is more important!! If Salty, Shoppach, Youk, etc are hitting well, I could afford to have Iggy to play SS and bat 9th.  But right now these guys are not hitting well, and cant have another batter that cant hit either.  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as "ON PACE of making ______ errors". 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Who still wants Iggy Over Aviles?:
    I still want Iggy at SS, but Aviles has been hitting even better than I expected (which was better than most posters), so the trade off of offense over defense has been in Mike's favor for this small sample size so far. As long as Mike keeps up this pace, you won't hear me being over-critical of the decision, but I doubt he can keep this up all year. I projected Mike would do as good as Scoot did in his 2 years here and better than Scoot would have done this year (a year older). I thought he was about the same in the field as Scoot, but he might have a little more range.  I'm happy with what Mike has given us so far, who wouldn't be?  But, I still prefer a great fielding SS to help give an edge back to our pitchers. They are already suffering with Salty calling the shots, a slowed Youk at 3B, and a horrific fielding OF thus far. I think having a stellar fielding SS would go a long way in turning around our staff.
    Posted by moonslav59

You make good points as always.

My major issue was that people seemed to have no idea what Aviles can do with the bat.  If you look at his career when he gets at bats, he hits 300, steals 20 bases and hits 10 home runs.

Despite that it was this constant "who is this bum". All spring long.

I did not project Mike to hit like this, but I did project him to do better offensively than most thought he would.

Many poster's main argument was that he has never really played FT all year long and could he "keep it up". Personally, I think he can easily bat .285+ over 150 games, but his OBP might not be any higher than .315 or .320. It would be great if he ends up at .300/.335. To me, that might totally cancel out his high error rate and low range.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Moon's right about his OBP - I like Aviles at SS over Iglesias, but I hate him leading off.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Moon's right about his OBP - I like Aviles at SS over Iglesias, but I hate him leading off.  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Certainly not ideal, but what is the alternative right now?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Maybe Youk will catch fire and I'd love that, but I'm afraid his best days are behind him. I'd love to see any of these possibilities ...

Middlebrooks + Aviles
    Aviles + Iggy
    Trade Salty to fill some current holes and bring up Lavarnway.

With the current arms we have we need all the production we can get, and while he's been great in the past, Youk's not giving it to us RIGHT NOW.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who still wants Iggy Over Aviles? : Certainly not ideal, but what is the alternative right now?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    vRHP, I'd say
    Sweeney
    Pedroia
    AGon
    Ortiz
    Youk

Not that I don't love what Aviles has done so far, but Sweeney is a better OBP guy vRHP.  I'd still send Aviles up first vLHP.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]I posted many times that Avilles was the better hitter and that Iggy needed more time at AAA ball. I also said that IGGY would be very entertaining to watch at SS but that was selfish on my part.
    Posted by Firefligh2008[/QUOTE]

Where is your FACTS and REASONS on your opinion?  This is just baseless..

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]vRHP, I'd say Sweeney Pedroia AGon Ortiz Youk Not that I don't love what Aviles has done so far, but Sweeney is a better OBP guy vRHP.  I'd still send Aviles up first vLHP.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

OK.  I mean, sure, if we base who should lead off of highest OBP alone, any of these guys would serve.  But, keep in mind, you also want a top OBP guy in the 2 hole.  And, maybe it is just convention that is not really important, but conventional wisdom also says that your 1 spot should be a guy who can apply some speed pressure.  Out of all those guys, Aviles is the onvious choice.  Pedroia could also do it, in the same way he can hit clean up (but him anywhere and he will make it work).  But right now, we need pedroia in a position to drive in some runs.  Aviles is not the ideal lead-off of course.  But his good OBP + his wheels make him the clear choice, in my eyes, given the guys currently on the active roster.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Aviles is not the ideal lead-off of course.  But his good OBP + his wheels make him the clear choice, in my eyes, given the guys currently on the active roster.

I'm not sure Mike can sustain his "good OBP".

His career OPB is just about 30 points higher than his career BA (.290/.321). That's about 60 points lower than "ideal", but as long as he is hot, I wouldn't mess with what is working.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]I still want Iggy at SS, but Aviles has been hitting even better than I expected (which was better than most posters), so the trade off of offense over defense has been in Mike's favor for this small sample size so far. As long as Mike keeps up this pace, you won't hear me being over-critical of the decision, but I doubt he can keep this up all year. I projected Mike would do as good as Scoot did in his 2 years here and better than Scoot would have done this year (a year older). I thought he was about the same in the field as Scoot, but he might have a little more range.  I'm happy with what Mike has given us so far, who wouldn't be?  But, I still prefer a great fielding SS to help give an edge back to our pitchers. They are already suffering with Salty calling the shots, a slowed Youk at 3B, and a horrific fielding OF thus far. I think having a stellar fielding SS would go a long way in turning around our staff.

Me too. What needs to happen is for Iggy to come up and play SS with Aviles moving to 3B. Trade Youk for some BP help befor he goes on the DL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE] Aviles is not the ideal lead-off of course.  But his good OBP + his wheels make him the clear choice, in my eyes, given the guys currently on the active roster. I'm not sure Mike can sustain his "good OBP". His career OPB is just about 30 points higher than his career BA (.290/.321). That's about 60 points lower than "ideal", but as long as he is hot, I wouldn't mess with what is working.

exactly.  i am not suggesting that he is an ideal lead-off guy at all.  Just, in the current pinch, a stop-gap measure that is working.  I hope he won't have to sustain his balloning OBP in the lead-off spot long enough for it to revert to career norms.

Sections
Shortcuts