Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?

it's who Jim Bowden tweeted the Sox are getting for Scutaro. Bowden isn't exactly the most reliable source, but assuming he's right, I hope this guy is worth Scutaro. Scut is a dirt dog, I don't know anything about this Mortensen fellow. I'll have to look him up. Don't see him on their roster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?

In Response to Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?:
    [QUOTE]it's who Jim Bowden tweeted the Sox are getting for Scutaro. Bowden isn't exactly the most reliable source, but assuming he's right, I hope this guy is worth Scutaro. Scut is a dirt dog, I don't know anything about this Mortensen fellow. I'll have to look him up. Don't see him on their roster.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Globe reporting the same thing, Exam. Also Boston Comcast sports. I just emailed a baseball friend, asking the same thing. I'm hoping the trade is for the pen and freeing up the cash to sigh Oswalt. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Mortensen

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mortecl01.shtml

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Thanks for the link Krusty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Thanks TWM. Next time, I'll e-mail youWink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He's not anybody.  Scutaro was about a market priced player, so we weren't going to get anything back for him.

It might be the equivalent of trading Scutaro + $1M for Oswalt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Those numbers don't exactly fill me with excitement, I wonder whats really going on here? You may be right about freeing up money for Oswalt j-bay.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?:
    [QUOTE]He's not anybody.  Scutaro was about a market priced player, so we weren't going to get anything back for him. It might be the equivalent of trading Scutaro + $1M for Oswalt.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Scutaro is a Yankee killer. 

.400 OBP v Mariano, .500 OBP v Nova, .435 v CC, .625 OBP v Robertson.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen? : Scutaro is a Yankee killer. Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE] Yip. That's part of what worries me. Scut has a lot of intangibles.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Raise your hand if you're hoping Starlin Castro from the Cubs has been given as compensation. I didn't say you believed it, just raise your hand if you hope......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?": Yip. That's part of what worries me. Scut has a lot of intangibles.

sorry to see him go, Scut was a warrior, but Sox need pitching. Globe reporting Aviles/Punto will platoon at SS. the revolving door at short continues, where it ends nobody knows

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this means Oswalt I think, and Iggy as SS

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?": [QUOTE]Raise your hand if you're hoping Starlin Castro from the Cubs has been given as compensation. I didn't say you believed it, just raise your hand if you hope...... Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE] There's a better chance that we get Ernie Banks as compensation for Theo. The guess is that they are freeing up money for a pitcher.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Ah yes J, Punto. Now it all makes sense. Geo may also be right, will probably see some Iglasias too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?": [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?": There's a better chance that we get Ernie Banks as compensation for Theo. The guess is that they are freeing up money for a pitcher. Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE] LOL....Tinkers a possibility too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen? : Scutaro is a Yankee killer.  .400 OBP v Mariano, .500 OBP v Nova, .435 v CC, .625 OBP v Robertson.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

He has a career .727 against active NYY pitchers.  He hits those guys, but doesn't hit Hughes, Joba, and Soriano.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen? : He has a career .727 against active NYY pitchers.  He hits those guys, but doesn't hit Hughes, Joba, and Soriano.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

The last guy I want to see at bat against Mariano with the game on the line.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen? : sorry to see him go, Scut was a warrior, but Sox need pitching. Globe reporting Aviles/Punto will platoon at SS. the revolving door at short continues, where it ends nobody knows
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Sox will have a SS not named Aviles or Punto....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen? : Sox will have a SS not named Aviles or Punto....
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

eventually, not this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

It's a FIRE SALE similar to what poor teams have been having for years. The difference here is that to the Red Sox FO a fire sale means not going over the luxury tax ceiling. This was done to free up the cash to sign Oswalt. An early callup for Iggy is obvious. Yes Virginia, there is a budget.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

[QUOTE]Raise your hand if you're hoping Starlin Castro from the Cubs has been given as compensation. I didn't say you believed it, just raise your hand if you hope......

this is one of the dumbest phenomenons going around on this board. i think derrick rose coming to boston as theo's compensation before itd be castro

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Pretty obvious that Mortensen is not likely to make the team. The trade , in itself , does not improve the roster. It has to be to clear salary space to sign someone else without reaching the luxury tax. Who? Oswalt? Ross? Someone else?  Anyway , I will miss Scutaro. He was nothing special , but he was a guy who gave it his all every time .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have been saying trading Scutaro made the most sense to clear salary space, and we have to look at it this way:

We could have let Scutty walk and paid his $1.5M buyout. This way, we save the $1.5M and get a prospect.

The player we got (Mortensen) is not important. The money saved is.

Personally, I'd rather spend the money on someone other than Oswalt (via trade), but I would prefer Oswalt to Scutty as well. 

Good luck Marco. You were a gutsy player. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rvicini. Show rvicini's posts

What if they get Garza?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

[QUOTE]What if they get Garza?
    Posted by rvicini[/QUOTE]

If so then they go after Cody Ross

Sections
Shortcuts