Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?

I'd much rather have Garza or Gavin Floyd than Oswalt. I'm tired of counting on injury-prone pitchers to come through. I'm willing to trade some of our future (Middlebrooks) since I have faith that one of Cecchini, Bogaerts, Coyle or Tejada can take Youk's place in 2014, and with all the draft choices we had last year and will have this year, I'm confident we will replenish the farm. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Are the Red Sox that poor that they need to dump a decent every day player for a nothing player who most likely won't be here long and no one to play SS. Iggy is not ready so forget that fantasy. So here we go again, a circus a short stop. This trade is a joke. I'm hoping ben knows something we do not, like another short stop. Right now this team looks like one step forward, two steps backwards and 3rd to 4th place.

Hetchinspete. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In Response to Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?:
    [QUOTE]Are the Red Sox that poor that they need to dump a decent every day player for a nothing player who most likely won't be here long and no one to play SS. Iggy is not ready so forget that fantasy. So here we go again, a circus a short stop. This trade is a joke. I'm hoping ben knows something we do not, like another short stop. Right now this team looks like one step forward, two steps backwards and 3rd to 4th place. Hetchinspete. 
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]
     Scutero and he was just an over priced average SS.  And Iggy can replace him if needed.  He is a terrific fielder and will save many pitches for the staff if inserted.  He will have to hit a little better but he is young and will certainly improve at the plate with experience.    The Sox are looking for something else for sure now.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

This was done to push me over the edge. Thus far I've been Mr. Supportive of Ben and the Sox off season moves.  Now I don't believe a word I am telling my self. 

What the heck is going on back in my hometown Red Sox and Celtic teams. They've tanked faster than a David Ortiz April at bat.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen? : If so then they go after Cody Ross
    Posted by myaim45[/QUOTE]

If they get Garza, then they're out of money again.  Garza filed for $12.5M in arb.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]  The player we got (Mortensen) is not important. The money saved is.   
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Yesterday I would have agreed with you on this, but Mortensen is a much better prospect than I expected to get.  He had an ERA under 4 pitching for the Rockies last year and had a sub 3 ERA away from Coors.  Seems to profile as a low leverage bullpen arm, but having someone to take that role for the league minimum is certainly not a bad thing.  He's a ground ball pitcher, with a 51.3% career ground ball rate.  With Iggy behind him he could have a nice little career.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya i dont mind mortensen, he is a decent pick up for a 37 yr old ss. However i think its dumb that the sox are planning on going with a platoon of aviles and punto. Give iglesias a shot to win the job in spring training. if he struggles then make aviles the starter. I think iglesias should get every chance to make the team and start at short given that he is the best ss the sox currently have. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]ya i dont mind mortensen, he is a decent pick up for a 37 yr old ss. However i think its dumb that the sox are planning on going with a platoon of aviles and punto. Give iglesias a shot to win the job in spring training. if he struggles then make aviles the starter. I think iglesias should get every chance to make the team and start at short given that he is the best ss the sox currently have. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

He'll be a ST and have a chance to impress, he controls his own destiny.  The Sox certainly want him to succeed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Scutaro was a solid presence at short...If the Bosox get Oswalt, I suppose that's significant consolation...But will he be injury prone again next year, and how will his NL stuff translate to Fenway....My gut tells me that the loss of Scutaro will hurt in the long run, unless the Aviles-Punto platoon performs above expectations both offensively and defensively...This is a Yankees fan speaking, so take it with a grain of salt...But I think this is a great transaction for the Rockies, and a mediocre one for the Red Sox, salary clearance or not...The Red Sox are creating new problems while trying to solve existing ones....

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen? :  Scutero and he was just an over priced average SS.  And Iggy can replace him if needed.  He is a terrific fielder and will save many pitches for the staff if inserted.  He will have to hit a little better but he is young and will certainly improve at the plate with experience.    The Sox are looking for something else for sure now.  
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]

By average I hope you are referring to his fielding ability...because he hit .299 which is not your average SS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?:
     The player we got (Mortensen) is not important. The money saved is.   
    Posted by moonslav59

Yesterday I would have agreed with you on this, but Mortensen is a much better prospect than I expected to get.  He had an ERA under 4 pitching for the Rockies last year and had a sub 3 ERA away from Coors.  Seems to profile as a low leverage bullpen arm, but having someone to take that role for the league minimum is certainly not a bad thing.  He's a ground ball pitcher, with a 51.3% career ground ball rate.  With Iggy behind him he could have a nice little career.

I was a bit surprised as well. I was expecting a long-shot prospect.

Anybody know if he is out of options? I think he still has 3-4 years of team control.

Is this deal insurance for the chance that Papi wins his arb hearing or to sign Cody Ross or Oswalt? Or neither?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to  Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen? :  TI was a bit surprised as well. I was expecting a long-shot prospect. Anybody know if he is out of options? I think he still has 3-4 years of team control. Is this deal insurance for the chance that Papi wins his arb hearing or to sign Cody Ross or Oswalt? Or neither?

He still has 1 option remaining and has logged less than a year of service time (109 days).  He's probably going to start the year at AAA as a starter, unless he wows in ST.  I hadn't thought about it, but the Sox may be waiting on the Ortiz decision before signing Oswalt.  If Ortiz gets his $16.5M, the Sox would still need to move more money to afford Oswalt, but they could end up going after Cody Ross and rolling the dice with the pitching staff until..... well Dice, comes back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I am really glad to see Scutaro go.  Never thought it was smart to bring him here - and now they are forcing the touth movement.

I think Valentine must be ready to shake things up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He still has 1 option remaining and has logged less than a year of service time (109 days).  He's probably going to start the year at AAA as a starter, unless he wows in ST.  I hadn't thought about it, but the Sox may be waiting on the Ortiz decision before signing Oswalt.  If Ortiz gets his $16.5M, the Sox would still need to move more money to afford Oswalt, but they could end up going after Cody Ross and rolling the dice with the pitching staff until..... well Dice, comes back.

The Papi decision is the big "if"...

See the "Realistic" thread for a complete breakdown of the 2012 budget, but I figured it to be about $4M or $11M from the limit depending on what we pay towards player benefits. I have heard $2M and $9M, but have yet to find any proof one way or the other. (I assumed Papi would accept a deal like this: '12: $13M &  '13: $11M club option with a $1.4M buyout, making the deal essentially $14.4M/2 or a $7.2M tax limit hit.)

If the final number is $4M, we can't afford Oswalt, but might get Cody Ross.
    If it's $11M, we should be able to get both.

If Papi gets $12.65M in arb, we'll be either over the limit by about $1.5M or have  $5.5M to spend... close to what Oswalt might get.

If papi gets $16M, we're over by $4.8M or under by $2.2M.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Nothing against Scutaro but I feel relieved having rid the team of Lowrie and Scutaro. Who will play short? Heck if I know.

Iglesias I hope will get the job ... but maybe the FO has biGGer plans.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Scutaro had a .744 OPS here in Boston from 2010-2011. I doubt it would have improved at age 37.

The choices we have now are all better fielders than Scutaro, some by a long shot. It's also interesting to note that Aviles and Punto could combine to put up a .744 OPS in 2012 as well.

Aviles (32 not 37):
    with Boston in 2011: .775
    Career OPS: .737
    Career splits: .814 vs LHPs/.703 vs RHPs

Punto (34 not 37):
    2011 OPS with StL: .809
    Career OPS: .652
    Career splits: .654 vs RHP/.649 vs LHPs

These numbers don't prove an Aviles/Punto combo can match Scutty's .744 Boston OPS, but they do show it is not unrealistic to think they may come close and make up for any shortcomings with much better defense at the key SS position. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Barring the arrival of Oswalt and a successful injury-free campaign by him in 2012, I believe this is a deal the Red Sox will regret...While Scutaro might have been below the median center defensively as a shortstop, his offensive stats were excellent...I think this deal is a big mistake until the regular season makes my assessment look silly.....
    “Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

If memory serve me, Scut was an animal in September, Which makes me really wonder what kind of difference player he is.  My thoughts are a role player that just got hot.  As I sit and read all these comments, the only thing that makes sense is a salary dump.  Another hole for the RS to fill at SS but hasn't that been the MO of this team.  Nomar was the last regular SS.....a home grown.....probably cant miss....Sounds to me like Igliasis.   I only  hope he figures out how to hit.  Good Luck Scut.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen? : Sox will have a SS not named Aviles or Punto....
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

Don't forget we also signed a free agent guy named Pedro Ciriaco who played for the Pirates last season, I am sure we will see him as well

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Other than Pedroia, Scutaro is the ONE guy who has been there, playing, often hurt, the past 2 years. He was a positive clubhouse influence, and the kind of person you want on your team.

And they dumped him because of his salary. Are we in Oakland? Is this the As? Since when does the team with the HIGHEST ticket prices in baseball and the SECOND HIGHEST payroll have to make slary dumps?

Great. Dump another quality team-first person to go overpay for another mercenary. Brilliant, just absolutely fooking brilliant.

No, not Oakland, I think Henry and Co. is trying to build a locker room in the mold of the NYJ. Oh, I'm growing to truly despise this team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Good post Dragon. This franchise that i have loved through thick and thin for over 60 years is starting to tick me off. We have to dump an important position player for 6 million? Everyone talks about our 178 million payroll , well about 25 million is on the dl. The money this group makes on OUR team and they cant afford to make up for injuries is beyond my comprehension. I dont even mind if they reduce payroll gradually over a few years as some of these ridiculous contracts come off the books but to leave us vulnerable at ss for 6 is stupid

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Scutaro had a .744 OPS here in Boston from 2010-2011. I doubt it would have improved at age 37. The choices we have now are all better fielders than Scutaro, some by a long shot. It's also interesting to note that Aviles and Punto could combine to put up a .744 OPS in 2012 as well. Aviles (32 not 37): with Boston in 2011: .775 Career OPS: .737 Career splits: .814 vs LHPs/.703 vs RHPs Punto (34 not 37): 2011 OPS with StL: .809 Career OPS: .652 Career splits: .654 vs RHP/.649 vs LHPs These numbers don't prove an Aviles/Punto combo can match Scutty's .744 Boston OPS, but they do show it is not unrealistic to think they may come close and make up for any shortcomings with much better defense at the key SS position. 

Could we give OPS a rest? While it's a good # for people who aren't capable of spending the time to dig further, this is a really a bad example of using it.

Scutaro batted 300 last year.  Had clutch hits.  Played a good defense.  And while most of team mates checked out last year, continued to play his heart out.  He earned my respect last year and I wish him well in Colorado.

Clearly this is a salary dump to try and add a starter - possible Oswalt OR, to cover Ortiz's asking price if he wins in ARB.

Also, I believe management is forcing Inglessias to take over at SS - they paid him very well for a minor leaguer and he's one of their top prospects:  I believe upper Mgt are demading an ROI for him now.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I could care less if the SS batted .201 and had an on-base of .285...As long as he can field as well as Pokey Reese or Alex Gonzalez. Sox pitchers need defense on the left side..Youkilis may have Lowell's EndofCareer range this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I know it's probably a new thing for some Red Sox fans, but teams dump players because of salary quite often.

Sections
Shortcuts