Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?

i dont mind using stats to learn more about a player - but if UZR was so wrong about Cameron....why would it be accurate in any situation???? 

You keep bringing up Cameron. The guy was old and playing hurt with us. Did you really expect top tier fielding?

I literally laughed at the idea to replace ells in CF with old man Cameron....and I had to endure an entire spring training of UZR nonsense.....Crawford was a UZR dream...until he played in Fenway...is he a good fielder but not here....what to make of that??? does UZR measure confidence? why does UZR vary so much from one year to the next??? this is where Moon's opinion of marco being a terrible fielder...it is all statistical nonsense...Moon says he saw every game and could point to numerous times during every game where marco cost us a hit, extra base, or run....i find that to be pretty unbelievable...out of 27 outs a game, how many does a shortstop handle directly or indirectly (relay/stolen base)????  How many could be gamechangers?????

I said he probably cost us over 100 hits per 150 games. That's 2 balls every 3 games that other great-ranged SSs made a play on that Scutty did not. The numbers back me up. Marco played 928 innings at SS lasy year and made 190 plays in 928.2 innings. That's about .204 per inning or 1.84 plays per 9 innings (per full game). Take a SS like Gonzo, about as old as Scutty, he made 2.26 plays per 9 innings or about .42 more plays per game. .42 x 150= 63 more plays. JJ Hardy mase 2.38 plays per 9. That's about 81 per 150 games more plays than Scutty's rate. Ronnie Cedano only played about 112 more innings (about 12 more games) than Scutty, but had 102 more plays.

This is just plays Scutty made. It doesn't count relay throws where the guy is safe (or relay throws not even attempted) or DPs not turned, or balls hit just out fo reach of Scutty. I think it is safe to say that a great-ranged SS could make 40-80 more plays than Scutty over a full season. 100 is not out of the realm of possibilities.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?:
    [QUOTE]i dont mind using stats to learn more about a player - but if UZR was so wrong about Cameron....why would it be accurate in any situation????  You keep bringing up Cameron. The guy was old and playing hurt with us. Did you really expect top tier fielding? I literally laughed at the idea to replace ells in CF with old man Cameron....and I had to endure an entire spring training of UZR nonsense.....Crawford was a UZR dream...until he played in Fenway...is he a good fielder but not here....what to make of that??? does UZR measure confidence? why does UZR vary so much from one year to the next??? this is where Moon's opinion of marco being a terrible fielder...it is all statistical nonsense...Moon says he saw every game and could point to numerous times during every game where marco cost us a hit, extra base, or run....i find that to be pretty unbelievable...out of 27 outs a game, how many does a shortstop handle directly or indirectly (relay/stolen base)????  How many could be gamechangers????? I said he probably cost us over 100 hits per 150 games. That's 2 balls every 3 games that other great-ranged SSs made a play on that Scutty did not. The numbers back me up. Marco played 928 innings at SS lasy year and made 190 plays in 928.2 innings. That's about .204 per inning or 1.84 plays per 9 innings (per full game). Take a SS like Gonzo, about as old as Scutty, he made 2.26 plays per 9 innings or about .42 more plays per game. .42 x 150= 63 more plays. JJ Hardy mase 2.38 plays per 9. That's about 81 per 150 games more plays than Scutty's rate. Ronnie Cedano only played about 112 more innings (about 12 more games) than Scutty, but had 102 more plays. This is just plays Scutty made. It doesn't count relay throws where the guy is safe (or relay throws not even attempted) or DPs not turned, or balls hit just out fo reach of Scutty. I think it is safe to say that a great-ranged SS could make 40-80 more plays than Scutty over a full season. 100 is not out of the realm of possibilities.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon, not to beat a dead horse but I'm not the one who signed him and decided to move over a younger, faster player to accomodate him...that was Theo....so what were the expectations for Cameron given his signing and placement in CF???  You supported that move....the rest is revisionist nonsense....that was all UZR motivated - Theo loved that stuff and you do to - Im not against it, I like stats too BUT no way is Marco a bad shortstop...and youre setting up Iggy for failure because no way does he save us 100 hits (his hitting might cost us 100 hits)...thats insane stuff youre spouting...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcirish582. Show mcirish582's posts

I saw this question spray painted on the back of the Monster on Landsdowne Street

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, not to beat a dead horse but I'm not the one who signed him and decided to move over a younger, faster player to accomodate him...that was Theo....so what were the expectations for Cameron given his signing and placement in CF???  You supported that move....the rest is revisionist nonsense....that was all UZR motivated - Theo loved that stuff and you do to 

I did support the move. I did think Cameron was the better fielder before I even looked at UZR/150. He did not work out. He got injured early and played poorly. One case does not disprove a stat. UZR is flawed, but it is a better measure of fielding skills (if used correctly-3 yr+ sample sizes- than Flg%.

- Im not against it, I like stats too BUT no way is Marco a bad shortstop...

Yes, way! He is and was certainly a bad SS. Maaybe not "horrible" as I called him earlier, but he has a bad arm and very limited range. 

and youre setting up Iggy for failure because no way does he save us 100 hits (his hitting might cost us 100 hits)...thats insane stuff youre spouting...

He may not, but he'll certainly make 40 or more (i'd bet on it), most likely 60-80 more, and since I am not 100% sure Iggy is a top 5 MLB fielding SS, I would not bet he makes 100 more. If Iggy logs 928.2 innings this year, he will make way more than 190 plays. I'll give you 3:1 odds he makes more than 230, 2:1 odds he makes more than 245, and even odds he makes over 260. Deal?

I'm not setting Iggy up for anything, because unlike many posters here, I am sure no players read this stuff. 

I trust the many scouts and baseball people who say that Iggy is is an exceptional fielder and those who say Scutaro is a weak-armed, limited ranged SS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

well i am looking forward to seeing him as SS - i hope he does well...watching a great ss playing the field is a thing of beauty...
    i hope the new guy Cody doesnt signal the end of the Iggy era before it began....a guy that good defensivily has to be played....hitting be damned

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Who the heck is Clayton Mortensen?:
    [QUOTE]well i am looking forward to seeing him as SS - i hope he does well...watching a great ss playing the field is a thing of beauty... i hope the new guy Cody doesnt signal the end of the Iggy era before it began....a guy that good defensivily has to be played....hitting be damned
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Geo, I realize we are losing offense with the Scutty to Iggy move and that the "saved plays" may not make up for it. I think it will, but I could be wrong. The way I look at is like this: if we do lose some ground going from Scutty to Iggy, it won't be a lot. If it looks like it is, because Iggy turns out to not be the fielder some of us think he is (will be), then the drop off to Aviles/Punto is not that much either. Where we gain it back is with an upgrade in pitching (and it looks like RF as well). I hope it's Floyd and not Oswalt, but I'll take this trade anyday:

Scutty/Aviles/Punto & Silva & DMac
    vs
    Iggy/Aviles/Punto & Oswalt & Ross

Sections
Shortcuts