Who wants an argument....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Who wants an argument....

I submit that Iglesias would have made the play in the 5th inning that Middlebrooks butchered giving the Orioles an extra out.  And then with 2 outs and runners on 1B & 2b, Davis hits a grounder through the hole beyond the reach of Drew with Markakis scoring from 2B. 

I further submit that Iglesias at SS would have at least, with his range, knocked the ball down.  He may not have been able to get an out but he would have held the runner at 3B preventing the run to score.

One way or another, this kid has to be inserted on the left side of the infield!

And, to date, who can argue that the Sox would suffer offensively by inserting Iglesias in place of either Middlebrooks or Drew?

Sure, the Sox are 15 games over .500, but going forward they could be so much better.

Any takers?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Who wants an argument....

I'd have no problem taking some ABs from Drew v LHPs, even though I expect Drew to out0perform Iggy going forward.  I'd give one a week at SS, maybe 2 a week at 3B, especially when we have GB pitchers on the mound, and maybe 1 game every other week at 2nd.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

I submit that Iglesias would have made the play in the 5th inning that Middlebrooks butchered giving the Orioles an extra out.  And then with 2 outs and runners on 1B & 2b, Davis hits a grounder through the hole beyond the reach of Drew with Markakis scoring from 2B. 

I further submit that Iglesias at SS would have at least, with his range, knocked the ball down.  He may not have been able to get an out but he would have held the runner at 3B preventing the run to score.

One way or another, this kid has to be inserted on the left side of the infield!

And, to date, who can argue that the Sox would suffer offensively by inserting Iglesias in place of either Middlebrooks or Drew?

Sure, the Sox are 15 games over .500, but going forward they could be so much better.

Any takers?

I think emphatically stating that another player would make a play on a clean single to left field is arguable in itself...needless to say I disagree with your point of view. Drew has been more than servicable playing SS so far...

Now to argue that Iggy should be playing 3B instead of Middlebrooks, when he's only played there a few games, is another thing that I don't agree with.

Why is it that with the team playing well there continue to be 'so-called' fans of the team looking to dismantle the line-up?? Sure Iggy has great potential, but his time will come next year or if the Sox decide to move Drew at the trade deadline.

In the meantime, let's just try to enjoy this team that is night and day better than the product the Boston baseball organization put on the field in 2012.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I've mentioned on a different thread that Middlebrooks confidence is at a hurtful low.  This, in my humble opinion, is affecting his fielding as much as his hitting.

Hence, Iggy is my choice at third until Middy, hopefully,  gets turned around.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

OP is of course dead right.  Farrell is clueless.  Sox are mired in first place with little hope of getting out.  Team ERA would be under 3 with Iglesias at 3b, and, really, they could have Iglesias cover the whole left side by himself.  

A small story in the Tampa paper says the Rays are filing protests on the Sox two wins Monday and Wednesday on the grounds it is common knowledge the Sox cannot win without Iglesias so they must have cheated.  As a minimum, the Rays expect to be able to replay both games.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

OP is of course dead right.  Farrell is clueless.  Sox are mired in first place with little hope of getting out.  Team ERA would be under 3 with Iglesias at 3b, and, really, they could have Iglesias cover the whole left side by himself.  

A small story in the Tampa paper says the Rays are filing protests on the Sox two wins Monday and Wednesday on the grounds it is common knowledge the Sox cannot win without Iglesias so they must have cheated.  As a minimum, the Rays expect to be able to replay both games.  

Clever....LOL      Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I think Iglesias, even w/ the shift on, might... Might actually make that play (that ended the game tonight). I was surprised he didn't make an appearance tonight. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

On the fly to left that dropped in front of Gomes to win the game last night---I may be wrong but had WMB been covering third and had Gomes thrown to third they may have tagged the runner before Markakis crossed the plate.

Yes it would have taken two intuitive players to make that play but I think with Joyce's angle on the play from home plate it may have been ruled no run.

Oh well " If Candy and nuts were ifs and buts..."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Im glad i went to bed at the end of the ninth...drew did a nice job moving the guy over to help tie it (props to Ells for running hard to avoid dp, unlike Longoria that first game against the Rays) but that hit thru the infield is one where i also believe iggy wouldve reached it - drew got a really slow jump on it...but lets face facts, mort is terrible and instead of DFa'd he is wASTING a roster spot hiding on the DL, and Drew is a nine million dollar mistake who Ben will never fess up to...

As always - 100% correct!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't have any big problems wit Drew's defense.  It, as one poster here put it, "serviceable".  That is, unless you compare it to Iggy's defense which is "Special".  And the same thing can be said for Middlebrooks. 

Offenisvely it appears that both Drew and Middlebrooks are hearing Iggy's footsteps and trying too hard.  Therefore the best and quickest solution would be to trade Iggy. 

OR

Settle this thing once and for all by giving Iggy one of the left side of the IF positions and make the odd man out fight to try to get his position back. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

When you are hitting/seeing well...You want to keep hitting.  Otherwise , you may loose your groove.

Players hate when they are benched when they are hot.  Going a couple of days without an at bat is the easiest way to fall out of your groove.

He should be playing at least 60% of the games right now.  And if not, he should be playing 100% in AAA.  For his own sake.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Agree, Middlebrooks should have stayed in Pawtucket to get his stroke back. Kept everything status quo until  something changes so you need to make a move. Hard for Rookies to be Bench Players, nevermind hard for Veterans too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Any takers?

Not sure whether Iggy would have gotten to that ball or not. I do think Middlebrooks should be in Pawtucket working on things.

Not much of an argument, I know, but if you're looking, go to the Pat's forum. Post anything there and you're likely to get one. Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

When you are hitting/seeing well...You want to keep hitting.  Otherwise , you may loose your groove.

Players hate when they are benched when they are hot.  Going a couple of days without an at bat is the easiest way to fall out of your groove.

He should be playing at least 60% of the games right now.  And if not, he should be playing 100% in AAA.  For his own sake.

How bout atleast 40% of every game as a defensive substitution? I'm still perplexed as to why, given last night's extra-innings there was no sign of him. "It's mind-bottling... Like my mind is trapped inside a bottle"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

Any takers?

I think emphatically stating that another player would make a play on a clean single to left field is arguable in itself...needless to say I disagree with your point of view. Drew has been more than servicable playing SS so far...

Now to argue that Iggy should be playing 3B instead of Middlebrooks, when he's only played there a few games, is another thing that I don't agree with.

Why is it that with the team playing well there continue to be 'so-called' fans of the team looking to dismantle the line-up?? Sure Iggy has great potential, but his time will come next year or if the Sox decide to move Drew at the trade deadline.

In the meantime, let's just try to enjoy this team that is night and day better than the product the Boston baseball organization put on the field in 2012.

Good points from a different perspective.  Let's just agree to disagree and see how things play out.  Time will tell.  And until then I can assure you that I am enjoying the teams performance day in and day out, and I concur it is way better than the experience of 2012.  Thanks for your response.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

I think Iglesias, even w/ the shift on, might... Might actually make that play (that ended the game tonight). I was surprised he didn't make an appearance tonight. 

Although I excluded that play, I'm inclined to agree with you.  With Iglesias heralded as the next Ozzie Smith, and unable to crack the starting lineup, it prompts me to question why he is not inserted for his defensive capabilities in the late innings of close games. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

[QUOTE]

Any takers?

Good points from a different perspective.  Let's just agree to disagree and see how things play out.  Time will tell.  And until then I can assure you that I am enjoying the teams performance day in and day out, and I concur it is way better than the experience of 2012.  Thanks for your response.

[/QUOTE]

Strange response considering the title you gave the thread.

But I can't argue with you about this.  I am shocked that Iggy has been sitting. 

4 straight multi-hit games and 8 out of the last 11

14 game hitting streak

.450 avg.

Completely riduciulous to not let him start at least until the average starts to drop. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

cooling off a hot player with a senseless day of rest is the hallmark of a Francoma team...JF  learned well....in three weeks both shortstops will be in slumps

As always - 100% correct!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Any takers?

B I N G O  !!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

And this from today's Blog:

"Steven Drew had a sac fly. But he is 4 of his last 30 with 14 strikeouts. He's down to .218. Farrell professed his faith in Drew before the game. But that faith is being tested."

Why exactly do we need to show "faith" in Drew?  He's a one-year stopgap solution to a problem that the front office thought existed, that is, Iggy not being ready for prime time.

Now it's apparent that Iggy might be ready to hit in the majors, so shouldn't this be about showing faith in Iggy rather than Drew?  Iggy is the guy who can bring the team real value for years to come.  So how does sitting Iggy help with anything?

Why do we need to bolster Drew's confidence?  Why do we need to risk Iggy's own self confidence, and his future, by doing so?

For that matter, what is the RS' problem with shortstops?  We let Gonzalez go, saying he couldn't hit, and then he hit just fine.  We overpaid for the likes of Renteria and Lugo because they supposedly could hit, but then they couldn't field.  Now we're overpaying for mediocrity in the form of Drew.

Now we've got a guy in Iggy who might just be able to do both, very well.  Does he embarrass the front office?  Because, don't forget, the front office strongly implied (especially by hiring Drew) that Iggy would never be a major league hitter.  Now it seems as though he might.

And yet we're not concerned about his development.  Let him ride the bench while we try to sooth Drew's ego. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

[QUOTE]

How bout atleast 40% of every game as a defensive substitution? I'm still perplexed as to why, given last night's extra-innings there was no sign of him. "It's mind-bottling... Like my mind is trapped inside a bottle"

[/QUOTE]

I dont like it.  His glove is MLB ready.  He's hitting the ball right now better than he ever has.  To me, he needs repition, repition, repition (atthe plate)...

He may not know what he is doing differently right now and therefore may not know where the success is coming from....but he should be getting as many at-bats as possible so he can incorporate whatever is making him so successfull into his plate approach long term.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

"Steven Drew had a sac fly. But he is 4 of his last 30 with 14 strikeouts. He's down to .218. Farrell professed his faith in Drew before the game. But that faith is being tested."

Why exactly do we need to show "faith" in Drew?  He's a one-year stopgap solution to a problem that the front office thought existed, that is, Iggy not being ready for prime time.

Now it's apparent that Iggy might be ready to hit in the majors, so shouldn't this be about showing faith in Iggy rather than Drew?  Iggy is the guy who can bring the team real value for years to come.  So how does sitting Iggy help with anything?

Why do we need to bolster Drew's confidence?  Why do we need to risk Iggy's own self confidence, and his future, by doing so?

For that matter, what is the RS' problem with shortstops?  We let Gonzalez go, saying he couldn't hit, and then he hit just fine.  We overpaid for the likes of Renteria and Lugo because they supposedly could hit, but then they couldn't field.  Now we're overpaying for mediocrity in the form of Drew.

Now we've got a guy in Iggy who might just be able to do both, very well.  Does he embarrass the front office?  Because, don't forget, the front office strongly implied (especially by hiring Drew) that Iggy would never be a major league hitter.  Now it seems as though he might.

And yet we're not concerned about his development.  Let him ride the bench while we try to sooth Drew's ego. 

+100

Post of the year about this Shortstop drama.....the new nonsense being we should sit Middlebrooks for Drew...like that would make sense given their differences in age, power, contract terms, etc. The bootlickers have hit a new low imo. They honestly would rather play Drew/bench Iggy to save face for Ben than play this amazing prospect who has EARNED the starting position. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Great post!

The thing is, I think Drew is here for the season. Might be able to move him before the deadline but I doubt it. Probably wouldn't get much. Given that, management being management, they can't or won't admit mistakes,  so the team seems to be stuck. There is no need for anyone to sit, though. Middlebrooks still has options and should go to AAA to work on things while Iggy, for now, plays third. In the meantime they both get work and with any luck Drew gets hot, they move him at the deadline for a couple of prospects or a RH bat, then bring a rejuvenated Middy back up, and move Iggy to short and all is happy in RS land. Sound good?

Perchance to dream.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

[QUOTE]

Great post!

The thing is, I think Drew is here for the season. Might be able to move him before the deadline but I doubt it. Probably wouldn't get much. Given that, management being management, they can't or won't admit mistakes,  so the team seems to be stuck. There is no need for anyone to sit, though. Middlebrooks still has options and should go to AAA to work on things while Iggy, for now, plays third. In the meantime they both get work and with any luck Drew gets hot, they move him at the deadline for a couple of prospects or a RH bat, then bring a rejuvenated Middy back up, and move Iggy to short and all is happy in RS land. Sound good?

Perchance to dream.

[/QUOTE]

I think this is why they are playing Drew. I also think Middy came back too early. You can talk about his power all you want, but if he cant make simple solid contact then what good is it. I admit, its hard to watch Drew right now, but hes a streaky hitter and will get going again. Hes done it every year. When he gets hot again, they might look to trade him. Middy is the one to be concerend about. Even though Drew isnt hitting right now, hes been playing solid defense all season. Middy isnt even doing that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Drew is sitting against a RHP tonight. Farrell sees whats going on, but you cant just sit a guy after a bad stretch. He gave Drew a chance to do something and he didnt. Hes sitting tonight which is the right move IMO. Maybe a day or 2 off will do him some good.