WHO WAS YOUR FIRST AUTOGRAPH?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: WHO WAS YOUR FIRST AUTOGRAPH?

Mine was Rico Petrocelli.  Summer of '68.  I was standing around in the RF bleachers with a couple friends my dad had brought with us.  A lot I can't remember, but Dad had gone off to get some hot dogs. 

It was a rare game, because we got to Fenway early enough to be standing around.  With Dad, we were usually running late.  He always thought he could fit 36 hours into a regular 24 hour day.  Always, until he hit about 84.  Then he felt so bad, because he couldn't be as productive as he had always been.  :o)  He did more work retired than most people do in a lifetime.  He convinced me that if THAT was retirement, I'm gonna work till I croak.  But I digress...

Dad came back with a quirky smile on his face.  He had the dogs, but he also had a baseball.  He said something like, "I was waiting around for the #8 fella, but he seemed busy.  But this guy was happy to help me with my problem."  He smiled and gave me the ball with Rico on it.  I was 12.  My friends thought Dad was cool.  (Which was a bit of a change of heart ... Dad loved to haggle with folks who used their yards a parking for Fenway.  A habit he picked up during the 15 years he was in India & E.Pakistan.  That could be quite a show.)

Three years later, we had moved to Florida and we watched ST games for free in Winter Haven.  He wandered off ... came back with a ball signed by 5 guys who didn't make the team.  He was apologetic that it wasn't anybody real, like Rico or Yaz.  I told him it didn't matter.  I was pleased he did it anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Elliot Maddox and Roy White.  I live across the street from Elliot Maddox and basically was introduced to the 1974 Yankee team and went to the Mayor's Trophy game with his family. Maddox gave me a signed ball by the entire team with Thurman Munson included.  The ball has faded so many of the names have vanished.  He knew I was a Sox fan but that didn't stop Maddox from being a really nice guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Tug McGraw ... came to a father-son night when I was in elementary school, and is my only autograph.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The---Babe-. Show -The---Babe-'s posts

Mine was Boog Powell. My uncle was actually invited to try out for the Phillies in the early 1960's and his mom threw the letter out because she wanted him to go to college and not be a ballplayer. Needless to say he was quite an athlete. He went to college and became a Phys Ed teacher. In the mid 1970's he moved to Key West and became a charter captain (he still is). He ended up playing in a men's softball league and Boog's "little" brother (and I say this TIC, dude was a mountain) Richie played 3rd base. They constantly battled for the HR title and BA title year after year. I later got to meet Boog on one of my early trips to the keys and Boog went fishing with us. I still have that autograph.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Willie Mays, met him as a kid when he was a coach with the Mets, have no idea where the autograph is now Frown

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

I don't have one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tropical-Nation. Show Tropical-Nation's posts

Jimmy Piersall at a supermarket in Newton Center......prbably about 1965(?)

second one was that Number Eight guy....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to WHO WAS YOUR FIRST AUTOGRAPH?:
            2 years ago I started a thread during the dreaded All- Star break (if you bleed baseball like I do, it's dreaded) asking posters who hit the first home run they ever saw live. Some liked it, some didn't, but it drew (not J.D.) a huge response. So, since it's the black hole of the baseball season again, I thought I'd throw this one out. Who gave you your first autograph, and tell us about it.  Mine was Mike Nagy, 1969, and I was freaked out. My first live game. I could see the stitching in his jersey, and he looked me square in the eye. Of course I was already freaked out over the screen (there was a screen above the monster then), the green grass and seeing t.v.baseball players coming to life.
    Posted by prknsdnld

Mine was Yaz in 1967 when I was around 8 years old.  It was before the game and my dad got Yaz to sign my cap and play catch with me for a couple of tosses.  Jim Lonborg was the pitcher but I can't remember if we won or lost.  I gave the same cap to my son in 1997, before taking him to see his first game at Fenway.  That game I got Nomar to sign the cap right above Yaz because he was my sons favorite player at the time.

My son isn't married yet but he will surely pass it on at some point.  Hopefully I can attend the game with my son and grandson or daughter, I'm not picky.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vegasredsox. Show vegasredsox's posts

Mine was also Yaz, but mine was at my dentist when i was 7, he signed the back of the dentist card it was so cool. I use to tell all my friends and class mates me and Yaz go to the same dentist.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Carl Yazsatrremski.  I was a kid but my mother sportted him at a restaurant & got it.  Sorry to say I don't know where it is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: WHO WAS YOUR FIRST AUTOGRAPH?:
    Mine was also Yaz, but mine was at my dentist when i was 7, he signed the back of the dentist card it was so cool. I use to tell all my friends and class mates me and Yaz go to the same dentist.
    Posted by vegasredsox

Thats funny, Yaz was a classy guy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Willie Mays, met him as a kid when he was a coach with the Mets, have no idea where the autograph is now
    Posted by fourrings

The closest I got to Willie Mays was having the same birthday.  May 6th,

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Gedman or Reid Nichols -- don't remember which came first.  We used to goto BP every year when my aunt and uncle got me tix for my birthday.  Because the friend who I used to bring each year was the kind of guy who did anything he pleased, a bunch of us got thru the wall/door next to the dugout and were in the tunnel from the dugout to the clubhouse surrounding Wade Boggs sitting on a chair signing unexpectedly, so I got close to getting Boggs that day but we got ousted before most of the group got anything signed!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Roy White

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The---Babe-. Show -The---Babe-'s posts

Jimmy Piersall at a supermarket in Newton Center......prbably about 1965(?) second one was that Number Eight guy....

Posted by Tropical-Nation

That's cool, I got to meet Yogi Berra once too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Sparky Lyle, I think.  He came and spoke at our Little League banquet and we all got autograph pictures.  I still have mine.  I also have one from Mike Nagy the same way, but I think Lyle was first.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clff. Show clff's posts

The ball included Bob Feller, Bob Lemon, Early Wynn, Larry Doby, Al Lopez. A family friend took me to my first Red Sox game and he worked with Jim Hegan's brother in Lynn, so my first autographs were a team ball from the Indians in 1952. The only player I have ever asked for an autograph is Stan Musial, but someone gave us Brook Robinson's and a ball signed by Rico Petrocelli.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Graig Nettles

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Phil Esposito.  Never got a Sox player autograph though Bernie Carbo gave me a baseball.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: WHO WAS YOUR FIRST AUTOGRAPH? :   This is all good stuff. Reading it all, I was oddly reminded of being REFUSED an autograph, outside Fenway Park in '70, I think it was , by Jerry Kenney of the Yanks. "No, man, I gotta catch a bus." he said.
    Posted by prknsdnld
    that used to bug me, as my Dad and i watched Joe D walk away from a kid asking for an autograph at a card show...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

I got Bob Stanley and Ellis Burks on the same night  - and the next day it was Jody Reed and Carlton Fisk (though Fisk was not with us at the time).   My friend and I went to spring training a few years back...a few, few years back... a few few few years back....cough...

We'd go to the games during the day and hang out at the hotel bar at night waiting for a few of the players to show up. 

Wow.  I totally sound like a Baseball Annie.  I'm just not even going to change that so you guys will think I'm cute. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

My first autograph was former Sox pitcher Bill Spanswick.When I was about 10 years old I used to deliver newspapers and he was one of my customers.I think it took me about 3 months before I got up the nerve to ask him for his autograph.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tropical-Nation. Show Tropical-Nation's posts

wow! what about Boo-Boo and Fred and Barney?

In Response to Re: WHO WAS YOUR FIRST AUTOGRAPH? : That's cool, I got to meet Yogi Berra once too.
    Posted by -The---Babe-

Sections
Shortcuts