Who will be this year's JBJ in ST?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Who will be this year's JBJ in ST?

It seems like every year someone lights it up in spring training that we aren't really expecting.  Because the Sox have so much young talent and and their regulars played so deep into October, I think they are going to give some of those younger guys a good amount of at bats and innings in the Fort this year.  My votes go to Garin Cecchini showing what he can do with his plate discipline and devoloping power, and Anthony Ranaudo opening some eyes with some impressive innings.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Who will be this year's JBJ in ST?

In response to cassvt2004's comment:

It seems like every year someone lights it up in spring training that we aren't really expecting.  Because the Sox have so much young talent and and their regulars played so deep into October, I think they are going to give some of those younger guys a good amount of at bats and innings in the Fort this year.  My votes go to Garin Cecchini showing what he can do with his plate discipline and devoloping power, and Anthony Ranaudo opening some eyes with some impressive innings.

Cecchini is the #3 prospect on the Sox so it's hard to argue with that choice. I had Cecchini as the everday 3B man by 2015 if he's not traded. How about Dan Butler, just assuming he gets some AB's he might open some eyes, obviously he won't steal a roster spot but he might raise his value.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Alfredo Aceves Cool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

I will be happy if jbj can duplicate last year.  Boggie needs to shine as well seeing how drew looks like a no show.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

I will be happy if jbj can duplicate last year.  Boggie needs to shine as well seeing how drew looks like a no show.

I sincerely hope he doesn't duplicate last year....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

i agree. having a nice ST showing is good and all..... but he was pretty bad in the MLB. couldn't hit, couldn't play D, couldn't throw. Maybe it was just nerves but in any case he looked like a deer in headlights during his MLB stints. which is odd considering how well he played in ST. The types of mistakes he made are the ones i expect any rookie could make and don't expect it to be an issue but that doesn't make it any less uglier

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I have a feeling that Brentz is going to be the guy with the superior spring training.

No real reason why, just a hunch.

If he has a good spring he may force himself onto the roster or at least open eyes in other organizations for a possible trade situation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Christian Vazquez.  BR has him @ .289 BA & .771 OPS in AA last year.

His defense has been stellar and much like JBJ last year, he'll fatten up on ST pitching. 

If that happens the only question will be whether he gets a chance at the ML level with AJP, Ross, and to some degree, Lavarnway ahead of him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

It's usually some career minor league type, like Jeff Bailey or Chris Carter or Pedro Ciriaco, who has the outstanding spring, as they are the type of guys who go all out in ST to impress.  Because they need to; that's why. 

So therefore my choice will be Brandon Snyder or Matt McCoy as the guy who has the great spring and suddenly has a legion of fans clamoring for him to make the team....

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Never happen Wrong about this as you are about everything

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Ryan Lavarnway, will blossom into our next "CARLTON FISK" !!!

All he needs to do is hit 56 HRS and raise his OPS+ 76 points, and he will be on pace...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Ryan Lavarnway, will blossom into our next "CARLTON FISK" !!!

first hes got to be our next Salty. Even that is pretty unlikely

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:

My hope is Alex Hassan because we desperately need more defense and better splits in the OF.  I think he has a shot at giving us more than just a Nava, Gomes or Carp type platoon guy.

Better yet I would like to see JBJ carry another good ST into the major league level to help ease the pain of losing Jacoby's 92 runs and 300 BA.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I would like to see Mookie Betts open up some eyes in spring training and I would like to get more of a look at this kid myself to be honest.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think a more realistic type of player who could have an outstanding spring and open some eyes would be Dalier Hinojosa and Noe Ramirez.  Those might be two players who throw in the spring and people ask... who the bleep is that dude?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Garrin Cecchini is the most appeasing answer.  Similar age going into spring training, both we're regarded very high and similar in terms of prospect status and both have half a season above single A heading into ST.. 

But the right answer should be no one.  JBJ should be a reminder of why we don't get lost on spring training stats and we should avoid rushing prospects.

Think of it this way if Cecchini made the jump to the majors this year he very easily should get exposed and would be challenged.

But he will start the year in double A with a likely mid season promotion or earlier, possibly start the season in Pawtucket.  If Cecchini has a similar second half in Pawtucket that JBJ had people would probably be higher on Cecchini than they are on JBJ.....think about that

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/33934/de-la-rosa-keeps-up-work-with-pedro

I like what I read here ... and while it doesn't deal primarily with the current starters, it sure gives a few goose bumps about DLR's desire and the mentoring he is getting from Pedro.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Sorry, I meant last year's spring training and yes, he needs to have a better regualr season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

JBJ is still young and was rushed last year.  Not expecting him to be better would be like not expecting a 5th grader to be smarter and know more than he did when he was in 3rd grade.

Like I said before I don't want to see another JBJ this year, I dont' want to see a kid who isn't ready get rushed because of a SSS in spring training.  BUT I am very excited to see some new faces in there.  I read about all these kids all the time and catch a few AA and AAA games every year but being able to get a longer view of many of them on T.V. willd definitely be exciting. Especially when you consider that our farm system is very strong and a lot of guys are close to the majors.  So there should be more young and close to the majors talent in ST this year and less of the retread and AAAA guys in there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I don't think he was rushed. We needed him due to Elles being on the DL.... he certainly might not have been ready to perform at a decent level... but Iggy was in the same boat and he did well filling in for Drew and then Middy. JBJR could have done the same thing.

I think his time here only helps to ensure better times for 2014... he has tasted the league, got a small beat down, and will be more prepared.

Great stuff, love the idea of JBJR starting in 2014.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

I don't think he was rushed. We needed him due to Elles being on the DL.... he certainly might not have been ready to perform at a decent level... but Iggy was in the same boat and he did well filling in for Drew and then Middy. JBJR could have done the same thing.

I think his time here only helps to ensure better times for 2014... he has tasted the league, got a small beat down, and will be more prepared.

I don't think that is a fair comparison.  Iggy already had 74 at bats in Boston, 710 in Pawtucket, and 1,005 total above single A before he started the 2013 season.  Meanwhile JBJ only had 229 at bats above single A.  Iglesias had more than 4 times the experience in the upper minors plus some MLB experience while the kid skipped a whole level after barely getting his feet wet in double A.  

JBJR was rushed, Ellsbury had nothing to do with it as he started the season in CF and NOT on the D.L. Bradley got the nod over Nava/Gomes because of his performance in ST.  

EDIT: 

Although let me add that I think JBJR will have learned from his 2013, and he made great strides at the plate in 2013 and I'm pretty confident that his offense will be at the very least adequate enough to justify his glove....and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we get more than that out of him. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

I don't think that is a fair comparison.  Iggy already had 74 at bats in Boston, 710 in Pawtucket, and 1,005 total above single A before he started the 2013 season.  Meanwhile JBJ only had 229 at bats above single A.  Iglesias had more than 4 times the experience in the upper minors plus some MLB experience while the kid skipped a whole level after barely getting his feet wet in double A.  

JBJR was rushed, Ellsbury had nothing to do with it as he started the season in CF and NOT on the D.L. Bradley got the nod over Nava/Gomes because of his performance in ST.  

EDIT: 

Although let me add that I think JBJR will have learned from his 2013, and he made great strides at the plate in 2013 and I'm pretty confident that his offense will be at the very least adequate enough to justify his glove....and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we get more than that out of him. 

I agree Hugh. I will say though that I was happy to see him make the team coming out of Spring Training.  I really think that set a good precedent by Farrell who was new at the time.  He basically said "I don't care who you are or how much you make, the players who CURENTLY are playing the best all around game are the players who will play for this team."  While I was a HUGE Francona fan, I think that was the issue I had with him in that he was a bit too loyal to a fault.  Farrell showed us right off the bat that he was the boss and things were going to be different.

Sections
Shortcuts