Who would like to see Henry and Co sell the team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Who would like to see Henry and Co sell the team?

My dislike of them is well documented back into early 2010, if not longer. I simply do not like them, I've been calling them money-grubbing, numbers fixing, disingenuous frauds for a few years. I can lay out PLENTY of examples, I have in the past.

But my opinion is not the point...this time. I used to be in the very small minority, even as early as the beginning of this season.

Well, where is the 'Nation' at now? Do you like this group? Do you want to keep them?

I can't resist:
    -Sellout streak
    -Francona firing/smear job
    -Bricks
    -Coffee table book
    -Henry, in the offseason, commenting that conditioning wasn't a problem for the players
    -Henry buying headphones for the players because....they no wanna play a dubboo heada...da poor wittle babies
    -Total lack of accountability for anyone wearing a uniform...EVER
    -Stealing the name Fenway and attaching it to stock car nonsense
    -Soccer matches at Fenway? Do they realize where they are? NOBODY WANTS TO SEE THAT SH!T IN BOSTON! Nobody CARES about Liverpool, few people could probably put a pin within 500 miles of it on a map!
    -The constant stream of quotes and comments showing just how either; a) unintelligent Sox fans are, or, b) showing how much SMARTER they are than everyone - it's been happening ever since "according to OUR metrics, Drew is worth a tick ABOVE what we pay him". Give me a f u c k i n g break. This team has turned into John Lackey! According to them they always play well, try hard, have the right people, have the right attitude...but it just somehow doesn't work out. According to the Sox, they must just be the unluckiest team in history, that's all. Certainly no clubhouse issues. Certainly no issues with communication between Valentine and the players. Or management and Valentine. Or the medical staff and reality.

The Dodgers just got 2.1 billion. These clows stumbled into this team at 750million. I see AT LEAST a 500million dollar profit just sitting there. Take it. Please. And sell this team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Re: Who would like to see Henry and Co sell the team?

It's to bad the city of Boston can't take over the Red Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fenwayjimy. Show Fenwayjimy's posts

Henry has done a fine job. Nobody is perfect. Many things happen that are out of your control in any job that you have. Great improvements to the Park. Two championships. Competitive teams.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

dragon the ownership is trying to generate revenue, they cant otherwise, with a 38,000 capacity park, to put a good product on the field. They also spent 250,000 for renovations over the past 10 years. Supply and demand, obviously there's a market for it. That said, they need to take a good, hard look at the organization, make the changes necessary and decide if they're still interested in more than making money. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I can't be in your camp on this one 6-9.

While I don't like some of the things they've done with the Fenway name and I'd be the first to admit they've sold out on some issues, at least they're committed to fielding a competitive team.  (OK, this year didn't work out all that well but the pieces were in place).

I like what they've done to the stadium and I enjoy the rivalry with the Yankees, and I can remember pre John Henry when I felt the ownership wasn't trying.

As for the extraneous stuff, the concerts, the bricks, the books, etc., this is 2012 and like everything it's all about the money and I think we have to get used to it.  At least it's not TD Bank Park now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In Response to Re: Who would like to see Henry and Co sell the team?:
    Henry has done a fine job. Nobody is perfect. Many things happen that are out of your control in any job that you have. Great improvements to the Park. Two championships. Competitive teams.
    Posted by Fenwayjimy

This isn't a job, he freaking owns the team and should be 100% responsible for even the smallest of blunders!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Who would like to see Henry and Co sell the team?:
    My dislike of them is well documented back into early 2010, if not longer. I simply do not like them, I've been calling them money-grubbing, numbers fixing, disingenuous frauds for a few years. I can lay out PLENTY of examples, I have in the past. But my opinion is not the point...this time. I used to be in the very small minority, even as early as the beginning of this season. Well, where is the 'Nation' at now? Do you like this group? Do you want to keep them? I can't resist: -Sellout streak -Francona firing/smear job -Bricks -Coffee table book -Henry, in the offseason, commenting that conditioning wasn't a problem for the players -Henry buying headphones for the players because....they no wanna play a dubboo heada...da poor wittle babies -Total lack of accountability for anyone wearing a uniform...EVER -Stealing the name Fenway and attaching it to stock car nonsense -Soccer matches at Fenway? Do they realize where they are? NOBODY WANTS TO SEE THAT SH!T IN BOSTON! Nobody CARES about Liverpool, few people could probably put a pin within 500 miles of it on a map! -The constant stream of quotes and comments showing just how either; a) unintelligent Sox fans are, or, b) showing how much SMARTER they are than everyone - it's been happening ever since "according to OUR metrics, Drew is worth a tick ABOVE what we pay him". Give me a f u c k i n g break. This team has turned into John Lackey! According to them they always play well, try hard, have the right people, have the right attitude...but it just somehow doesn't work out. According to the Sox, they must just be the unluckiest team in history, that's all. Certainly no clubhouse issues. Certainly no issues with communication between Valentine and the players. Or management and Valentine. Or the medical staff and reality. The Dodgers just got 2.1 billion. These clows stumbled into this team at 750million. I see AT LEAST a 500million dollar profit just sitting there. Take it. Please. And sell this team.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

No, Henry has been willing to spend money on improving our club.   It's guys like Theo and Larry that should have been replaced. These are the guys Henry depended on to make the correct baseball decisions, I personally like Henry as our owner he just made a few bad choices in management.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Sure, we'd be much better off how it used to be.  I used to like missing the playoffs every year.  In the 83 years before he owned the team, we won 24 playoff games, and -0- World Series.

In the ten years before he owned the RS, the RS averaged 84 wins (prorated for strikes).  In the 10 full season since he owned the team, the RS have averaged 93 wins.  Why would anyone want to be 93-69 when they could be 84-78.  84 wins and missing the playoffs every year is much comfortable I guess.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Sure, we'd be much better off how it used to be.  I used to like missing the playoffs every year.  In the 83 years before he owned the team, we won 24 playoff games, and -0- World Series. In the ten years before he owned the RS, the RS averaged 84 wins (prorated for strikes).  In the 10 full season since he owned the team, the RS have averaged 93 wins.  Why would anyone want to be 93-69 when they could be 84-78.  84 wins and missing the playoffs every year is much comfortable I guess.
    Posted by Joebreidey

When they tool over the team, the inherited a LOT of talent. Now, I think, we are seeing the results or THEIR decisions.

Inherited: Manny, Pedro, Lowe, Varitek, Wakefield as cornerstone guys with a fairly good team, altogether, around them. One addition by subtraction led to a WS ring.

Got extremely lucky with Ortiz. Remember, he was brought in as a BACKUP to Jeremy Giambi! Crediting them with signing him to a 1mil, 1 year deal is like saying the Pats STOLE Brady in the 6th. It was lucky as much as anything else.

07, they DO get credit for. They brought in Schilling, and some of their young guys made a difference by that point, and certainly all the role players were theirs. It was probably 75/25 for current and previous regime. with 04 being, to me, flipped.

But where are they at, and headed, now? I don't like the system they use, I don't like hearing about "according to OUR projections and computer models, Player X will do such and such in Fenway, regardless of what their career numbers are." I've heard it with AT LEAST: Drew, Crawford, Gonzalez and Lackey. They have removed the 'human element' from baseball, or tried to, and it is crippling this TEAM.

And Henry, personally, is two faced:
    -Threw Crawford and baseball ops under the bus
    -Has been known to give lineup suggestions to Tito, and likely Valentine, though I'm assuming the latter
    -Defended the players in the face of undeniable facts to the contrary. I get this, to a point, but some of the things he's said have just been laughable, I point to the condition statement earlier
    -Go listen to his "impromptu" visit to 98.5 again. Wow. That just keeps making him look worse and worse

Tom Werner went on the Big Show about a month ago, and said, I sh!t you now, that neother he, nor Lucchino, nor Henry have received a SINGLE check from the Red Sox operations. Really? I mean, REALLY?! He expects people to believe that the TOP 3 PEOPLE IN THE ORGANIZATION HAVE MADE 0 DOLLARS IN 10 YEARS! Oh, right, the holding company gets paid. And that holding company pays for every part of these guy's lives. I can't STAND when people try to hide behind half-truths like this. Technically, yes, those 3 haven't gotten a check cut from the "Red Sox" but to imply they haven't personally seen the money is so disingenuous and insulting.

And I'm sick of the obviously planted PR stories they trumpet out time and time again. It was the underprivilaged kid on opening day who Henry gave his personal seats to. And the little old lady who wanted to thank Lucchino personally for reminding her to go to the park early. And the missing Wally drama. It's too much. Too much non-baseball fluff.

My history spans to the mid-80s with this team. So I've asked other fans who are older than me a very simple question:

Has there ever been a team less likeable than this one?

It's in the moment, so I'm sure it's easier, but I haven't heard on person bring up another team as wholly unlikeable as this one. Maybe the inflated salaries have a lot to do with it that wasn't such a focal point in baseball seasons past. But go take a poll yourself, even WITH the recent rings, this team is not likeable at all. Not really at any level. Players, management, ownership. Not, Like, able.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Inherited: Manny, Pedro, Lowe, Varitek, Wakefield as cornerstone guys with a fairly good team, altogether, around them. One addition by subtraction led to a WS ring.

They weren't a fairly good team when JH came in.  They were 82-79.  The year before, they were 85-77.  They weren't without talent, but virtually no teams are without talent.  This sounds like the Valentine arguments.  Valentine will come nowhere close to the succes that Tito had, but that's good.  We've had more success since Henry came than in the 86 years before he arrived, but that's a bad thing.  Bad is seemingly the new good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Depends on his attitude. If he's still all in and wanting to do what it takes to win, keep the team. If he's distracted by soccer and nascar, I say sell.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Depends on his attitude. If he's still all in and wanting to do what it takes to win, keep the team. If he's distracted by soccer and nascar, I say sell.
    Posted by TheExaminer

He makes no BB decisions.  I doubt his other businesses will impact the RS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

being a working class hero myself, i could care less which fatcat owns the team...they are not my friend, they dont care about my restricted finances, they exist to maximize profit, and no one own a sports team these days simply because they love the city, team, or game...its all a business....Henry & Co have been savvy and smart...and they have won 2 titles....why complain?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Geo, Henry and co did not win any world championships.  Those were duquette's, the guy they fired for letting clemens walk.

Turns out, duquette was right ot let clemens walk, as clemens was indeed in the "twilight of his career" (the exact words that got duquette fired) when duquette said he was.  Its just that he went to Tor and "McNamee'd up"

Do you remember this team before Duquette. We were perenially fourth place finishers.  Duquette came in, drafted Nomar, drafted Youk, brought in Pedro, brought in Manny, turned the losing culture around, revamped our minor league facilities, invested in player development and TURNED THIS TEAM AROUND.

The time has come for Henry to admit his mistake, and make Duquette (a local boy) the highest paid executive in MLB.  We need the guy who turned this franchise around the first time, and was fired by this ownership group, to come in and do it again.

If Henry is unwilling to accept that, I am rooting for a sell.  In any case, Luchino MUST GO.  If Henry is unwilling to do that, then yes, he is a bad owner.

BRING BACK DAN DUQUETTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Geo, Henry and co did not win any world championships.  Those were duquette's, the guy they fired for letting clemens walk. Turns out, duquette was right ot let clemens walk, as clemens was indeed in the "twilight of his career" (the exact words that got duquette fired) when duquette said he was.  Its just that he went to Tor and "McNamee'd up" Do you remember this team before Duquette. We were perenially fourth place finishers.  Duquette came in, drafted Nomar, drafted Youk, brought in Pedro, brought in Manny, turned the losing culture around, revamped our minor league facilities, invested in player development and TURNED THIS TEAM AROUND. The time has come for Henry to admit his mistake, and make Duquette (a local boy) the highest paid executive in MLB.  We need the guy who turned this franchise around the first time, and was fired by this ownership group, to come in and do it again. If Henry is unwilling to accept that, I am rooting for a sell.  In any case, Luchino MUST GO.  If Henry is unwilling to do that, then yes, he is a bad owner. BRING BACK DAN DUQUETTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by Drewski5
    Don't for get that he also pulled the greatest heist in baseball history when he got Tek and Derek Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb. And look at the Orioles this year. I don't understand the lack of love for the Duke in New England. I think probably Lucchino was the guy who called the Duke firing because Duquette can be a bit arrogant. Oh, and dragon. I don't think Henry selling this team would be a good idea at all. I wouldn't mind seeing him buy out Lucchino though. Maybe he could sell that interest to the Duke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i dont care who are GM is, as long as hes awake...unlike our present guy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

i dont care who are GM is, as long as hes awake...unlike our present guy
    Posted by georom4
    You miss Tito yet?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

no

i loathe him more each day when i see the priviliged pampered nonsense coming from our players and front office..being a toady isnt high on my list of managerial virtues...yours?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Geo, Henry and co did not win any world championships.  Those were duquette's, the guy they fired for letting clemens walk. Turns out, duquette was right ot let clemens walk, as clemens was indeed in the "twilight of his career" (the exact words that got duquette fired) when duquette said he was.  Its just that he went to Tor and "McNamee'd up" Do you remember this team before Duquette. We were perenially fourth place finishers.  Duquette came in, drafted Nomar, drafted Youk, brought in Pedro, brought in Manny, turned the losing culture around, revamped our minor league facilities, invested in player development and TURNED THIS TEAM AROUND. The time has come for Henry to admit his mistake, and make Duquette (a local boy) the highest paid executive in MLB.  We need the guy who turned this franchise around the first time, and was fired by this ownership group, to come in and do it again. If Henry is unwilling to accept that, I am rooting for a sell.  In any case, Luchino MUST GO.  If Henry is unwilling to do that, then yes, he is a bad owner. BRING BACK DAN DUQUETTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by Drewski5

I've been through this before, but the 2004 team was more Theo's than Duquette's. Yes, Duquette made some key moves that helped and that's great, but the team was more Theo's players than Duquette's.

Duquette did some nice things but it really was Theo that turned around the player development. To say Dan turned around a losing culture is a bit of an overstatement. He took over for Gorman who built a team that won three division titles in five years, something neither Dan nor Theo did.

At the end, there were some down years as the team needed to be rebuilt and Gorman was about to retire, but it was hardly this great losing culture. The only team that won a division title under Duquette was 1995, which was right after he took over so I would guess that a some chunk of it was Gorman's.

Duquette had a very spotty record. Two years after that division title, the team had a losing record. And after seven or eight years of building, his team won just 82 games and had one of the worst pitching staffs that I can remember with the exception of Pedro.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This thread should be ignored.

On another thread, dragon said he'd trade the two W.S. titles for different ownership. As they say, you can't argue with stupid.

The venom and hate that he spews over the ownership is so far over the top that it's irrational. What a sad, pathetic person to go through life with that much hate. All that dragon's posts deserve is pity.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Who would like to see Henry and Co sell the team? : I've been through this before, but the 2004 team was more Theo's than Duquette's. Yes, Duquette made some key moves that helped and that's great, but the team was more Theo's players than Duquette's. Duquette did some nice things but it really was Theo that turned around the player development. To say Dan turned around a losing culture is a bit of an overstatement. He took over for Gorman who built a team that won three division titles in five years, something neither Dan nor Theo did. At the end, there were some down years as the team needed to be rebuilt and Gorman was about to retire, but it was hardly this great losing culture. The only team that won a division title under Duquette was 1995, which was right after he took over so I would guess that a some chunk of it was Gorman's. Duquette had a very spotty record. Two years after that division title, the team had a losing record. And after seven or eight years of building, his team won just 82 games and had one of the worst pitching staffs that I can remember with the exception of Pedro.
    Posted by royf19
    I'll always remember Gorman as the guy who traded Bagwell for Larry Anderson. Or is it Andersen?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

no i loathe him more each day when i see the priviliged pampered nonsense coming from our players and front office..being a toady isnt high on my list of managerial virtues...yours?
    Posted by georom4
    Just checking. Glad to know you still have the courage of your convictions.

Sections
Shortcuts