Who would you give up...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Who would you give up...

to the pirates to acquire Garrett Jones? If Napoli doesnt sign were going to have to move quickly. Even if he signs, Jones can play 1b and OF and would be a great LH platoon with Gomes and even Victorinio at times with tough RHP.

Pirates get:

Pimentel, Sands, Melancon and one from (Ranaudo/Workman/Britton/Morales/Iglesias)

Sox get:

Hanrahan, Jones

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Who would you give up...

In response to southpaw777's comment:

to the pirates to acquire Garrett Jones? If Napoli doesnt sign were going to have to move quickly. Even if he signs, Jones can play 1b and OF and would be a great LH platoon with Gomes and even Victorinio at times with tough RHP.

Pirates get:

Pimentel, Sands, Melancon and one from (Ranaudo/Workman/Britton/Morales/Iglesias)

Sox get:

Hanrahan, Jones

That's probably a good deal. Although I might try to strike Iglesias from that list.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Pirates get:

Sox get:

Hanrahan, Jones

That's probably a good deal. Although I might try to strike Iglesias from that list.

Yeah, he was the last one I put on. If Iggy was the piece that held the deal up, I would have to seriously think about it. Id probably let him go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Pirates get:

Sox get:

Hanrahan, Jones

Yeah, he was the last one I put on. If Iggy was the piece that held the deal up, I would have to seriously think about it. Id probably let him go.

With Bogaerts, Marrerro, Lin and Vinicio in the farms I probably would too. Jones looks like a pretty impressive hitter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Pirates get:

Sox get:

Hanrahan, Jones

With Bogaerts, Marrerro, Lin and Vinicio in the farms I probably would too. Jones looks like a pretty impressive hitter.

He can be a 800+ OPS guy with 25HR power. Not great OBP, but decent enough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

even if we sign napoli...i would want jones anyway...i would want to keep workman...pick from the rest.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

even if we sign napoli...i would want jones anyway...i would want to keep workman...pick from the rest.

I like workman too. Jones is a decent player, but not a top player so I dont think a top prospect is needed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Kalish.  If you obtain Jones, Kalish' usefulness to us really starts to decline.  And in another year, his control years value will start taking a hit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I think that I would try to get Jones added to the deal as well.  He would be a nice addition since he is a better fielder than Napoli and may hit as many HRs as well.

Perhaps toss in another of the seemingly excess bullpen guys the Sox have to go along with Pimental, Melancon and Sands to get both Hanrahan and Jones.

At time I do not like giving up any of the other prospects.  Last year was a last place team for lots of reasons and all of the young guys with major league potential should be at least given a shot at helping the Sox at the major league level and not some other team.

It may be completely reasonable to think that a last place team is not just one player away from moving into first place in the following season so I say hold on to the young guys at this time.  If the Sox come close to the top of the division in 2013 they may be used to get that one or two important pieces for the 2014 season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

Raider, your posts are awesome;.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I would not give up a thing.

Garret Jones is a platoon player.  There is a reason Pittsburgh dealt for and is retaining Gaby Sanchez.

If Napoli fails his physical or the hip causes the deal to fall apart, I would hope the Sox simply move on and start negotating with Lance Berkman rather than trading for mediocrity like Garrett Jones.

Now if the Sox acquired Jones to platoon in LF with Jonny Gomes, I could get behind that move.  I would not give up Iglesias. Morales, Britton or Ranaudo for him, however.  Maybe Workman...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

I say  Iggy  weve had  ranaudo for awhie  and don,t want him going in this trade i still really think he has a future here and the other 2 there still young keep em allthough i know iggy is to  but his offense is not gonna get any  better

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Garret Jones is a platoon player.  There is a reason Pittsburgh dealt for and is retaining Gaby Sanchez.

If Napoli fails his physical or the hip causes the deal to fall apart, I would hope the Sox simply move on and start negotating with Lance Berkman rather than trading for mediocrity like Garrett Jones.

Now if the Sox acquired Jones to platoon in LF with Jonny Gomes, I could get behind that move.  I would not give up Iglesias. Morales, Britton or Ranaudo for him, however.  Maybe Workman...

this is exactly what i'm talking about...but i really like workman...and i really think we will sign napoli...jones is a platoon player i would never want him to be our 1B.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Garett Jones isn't worth anything but a couple of 2nd rate farm scraps. Add Workman and Britton to Pimental, Melancon and the great Jerry Sands.  Keep Iglesias and offer the great S. Drew and a 2nd rate farm prospect PLTBNL. Keep Ranaudo and see if another year or two results in a bottom tier MLB pitcher.

Frankly, Loney should have already been signed at one year and 2M. In the event they were able to get a value and fit upgrade, they could hvae traded Loney's account's payable in toto.

Yeah, Pitt. will take Drew and his 10M 1 yr deal...glad we have you here to make sense of everything.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ive mentioned Jones in Moons "realistic" thread as a platoon guy with Gomes and being able to play RF and 1b when needed seeing that hes LH. If we didnt get Naps, he would obviously play more 1b and probably platoon with Gomez.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Pirates get:

Sox get:

Hanrahan, Jones

Have you been on the MLBTR.com site re. the Hanrahan trade(comments). They are truly ripped at what the Pirates have gotten for Hanrahan--two prospects. Melancon would soothe the loss but to get Jones they should want at least Doubie or Brentz or Kalish  and Britton-players the sox may feel a little pain losing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Whatever happens with that Hanrahan deal the Sox have to make a decision re. the Napoli deal. Personally I think Jones or Mitch Moorland from Texas might be good trade targets if  Nap doesn't sign.

I think the Sox will offer the $13 for one year with an option for year 2 at $13 if he hits certain production targets, perhaps similar to what got him the offer to begin with, and a likewise $13 for a 3rd if he hits years 1 and 2 targets. OR perhaps they give him the option to opt out completely and sign elsewhere.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Kalish.  If you obtain Jones, Kalish' usefulness to us really starts to decline.  And in another year, his control years value will start taking a hit.

Good point.  I do not think Sands, Pimental, Melancon, throw in is enough to get Jones, Hanrahan.  So if we are indeed acquiring Jones w/ Hanrahan, that fourth player is going to be someone notable.  Kalish makes sense to me; however, I speculate that its going to be an unpopular opinion.

Jones can platoon w/ Gomes in LF and play some 1B.  He is a good fit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I think he would platoon w/ Gomes.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I think he would platoon w/ Gomes.  

They have Sanchez too, but Jones is LH and plays OF and 1b. If they threw in a pitching prospect not named Barnes RDLR Webster or Owens, that might get it done as well. Or another good bp arm.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Pirates get:

Sox get:

Hanrahan, Jones

I would try to trade Kalish Sands Pimental and Melancon. Morales and Iggy are valuable depth players for the just incase scenario. Spring training arrives our prospect outfielders bradley linares or brentz... can challenge for the platoon OF spot.

Jones and Gomez 1B /  Nava Gomes Ells Victorino and ( bradley linares or brentz) OF

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Thats a couple people who mentioned Kalish...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Thats a couple people who mentioned Kalish...

I wonder if the Sox can trade Nava instead of Kalish.

Sections
Shortcuts