Who would you give up...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Who would you give up...

In response to boborielly224's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Thats a couple people who mentioned Kalish...

I wonder if the Sox can trade Nava instead of Kalish.

Probably not worth as much. 31yr old limited skill set.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I doubt it.  Nava is just another replacement level player.  Kalish is a legit talent that shouldn't be any worse than a good platoon partner, and a legit starter on a small market team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I doubt it.  Nava is just another replacement level player.  Kalish is a legit talent that shouldn't be any worse than a good platoon partner, and a legit starter on a small market team.

Kinda like what they said about Reddick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

It's true for both.  Reddick and Kalish are both platoon players on a good team, starters on a mediocre team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

It's true for both.  Reddick and Kalish are both platoon players on a good team, starters on a mediocre team.

I think for Jones/Hanrahan Id be willing to go with Melancon, Sands, Pimentel and Kalish...Seems fair for both teams.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Drewski wahts the OPS on these guys? It is all that matters right? 90 games a year, 119 a year.... same same... so long as the OPS is solid.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Drewski wahts the OPS on these guys? It is all that matters right? 90 games a year, 119 a year.... same same... so long as the OPS is solid.

Jones had an .832 OPS last year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not kinda, exactly.  Same as Murphy and same as Moss.  These guys are more attrative to teams with more limited payrolls than they are to us.  And once the clock starts cliciking, decisions need to be made.  Every year that we hold onto these guys represents less value.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Not kinda, exactly.  Same as Murphy and same as Moss.  These guys are more attrative to teams with more limited payrolls than they are to us.  And once the clock starts cliciking, decisions need to be made.  Every year that we hold onto these guys represents less value.

And come next year were going to have around 25-30 of our top 40 prospects eligible for the rule-5 draft so were going to have to make a couple deals before then as well...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

You need a string to tie things together.  OPS as a stand-alone stat is fairly meaningless.  You need context.  To complain that Dreski wants OPS without referring to position, fielding ability, flexibility, and salary is meaningless.

What you need to do to construct an argument, is to say that an OPS of x, at position y, for a salary of z, is weak, because of a, B, and c.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

or any average of any stat between a player who never plays in more than 114 games a year being compared to a player who always plays in 150+ games a year? Should I build off that platform oh conceited Breidy?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

or any average of any stat between a player who never plays in more than 114 games a year being compared to a player who always plays in 150+ games a year? Should I build off that platform oh conceited Breidy?

If you are comparing the numbers of starts that the average catcher makes, to the average 1B makes, I'll do the math for you, but even a 12 yo knows that you cannot compare the two.

This is why we have wagering.

If we go through with the Napoli signing, I'll wager you a tag line that he has more than 114 starts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

And come next year were going to have around 25-30 of our top 40 prospects eligible for the rule-5 draft so were going to have to make a couple deals before then as well...

But I think each team can only have 2 max picked.  It would still be a gamble as to who those 2 would be though.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I was using Gonzo's OPS as a benchmark to show that Naps is an underrated hitter.  He's very good at drawing walks and hitting for power.  I was not comparing their durability.

Of course durability matters.  And your durability concerns are valid.  Two things are not completely interchangable just because they have one comparable element.  In a fhead to head matchup,  AGON wins in a landslide because of durability, defense, K %....However, Naps has a career OPS that is very similar to AGON's, which is impressive and noteworthy.  

You can compare an element of one thing to an element of something else , even if the two things are not  interchangable.

I can compare De La Rosa's avg MPH to Verlander's.  This doesnt mean that I am implying that Verlander and De La Rosa are interchangable.  

I can compare this buffalo chicken salad to a Steven Segal movie.  I could say that the spiceniess of the chicken hides the fact that the vegetables arent fresh, kind of like how Segal's flashy kicks hide the fact that the dialogue is terrible.  This doesnt mean that I believe that a Steven Segal movie is a buffalo chicken salad.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Koolga's comment:

But I think each team can only have 2 max picked.  It would still be a gamble as to who those 2 would be though.

Yeah, thats the thing. Its a crapshoot. But there will be a lot of possible names. Hopefully by the end of next season they have a better idea who should be protected and who can be dealt after another year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Yeah, Pitt. will take Drew and his 10M 1 yr deal

That part was sarcasm and wishful thinking on my part.  But remember, "yea, Red Sox will offer Carl Crawford 142M and announce "crawbury we won't stop running until the last out". Incompetent GM's are Big Labor's and a competent GM's best friend or worst enemy.

You live in the past and Ill live in the now and look toward the future.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Josh Reddick started 152 games for a team that won 94 games in 2012.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Josh Reddick started 152 games for a team that won 94 games in 2012.

Before last year you and everybody else had the A's sweeping the cellar along with the M's in the ALW. Nobody predicted what happened last year. Ill be surprised if they do it again in 2013, just like the O's.

Sections
Shortcuts