Who would you like to see throw the first pitch at Fenway’s 100th Anniversary Game vs. the Yanks on April 20?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Re: Who would you like to see throw the first pitch at Fenway’s 100th Anniversary Game vs. the Yanks on April 20?

They should have Torrez pitch to Bucky Dent!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Who would you like to see throw the first pitch at Fenway’s 100th Anniversary Game vs. the Yanks on April 20?

Pesky should be the one. He had been a very visible part of this team for many, MANY years until....hmmmmmm....

he got old, and? I know MLB made some garbage rule about the number of non-players allowed on the bench, but the team didn't seem to do too much to support a guy who's been here longer than anyone.

He'd be my first choice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Agree on Pesky since it is about the Park turning 100. Also thought having a Jimmy Fund benefactor such as a child cancer surviver would be fitting given the positive roll the Sox and Jimmy Fund have played in Boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you like to see throw the first pitch at Fenway’s 100th Anniversary Game vs. the Yanks on April 20?:
    Agree on Pesky since it is about the Park turning 100. Also thought having a Jimmy Fund benefactor such as a child cancer surviver would be fitting given the positive roll the Sox and Jimmy Fund have played in Boston.
    Posted by futbal
    great post futbal, big supporter of TJF...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you like to see throw the first pitch at Fenway’s 100th Anniversary Game vs. the Yanks on April 20?:
    In Response to Re: Who would you like to see throw the first pitch at Fenway’s 100th Anniversary Game vs. the Yanks on April 20? : great post futbal, big supporter of TJF...
    Posted by jete02fan

The Steinbrenners are very big supporters of the Jimmy Fund as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In Response to Who would you like to see throw the first pitch at Fenway’s 100th Anniversary Game vs. the Yanks on April 20?:
    Who would you choose? Suggestions: Carl Yastrzemski Pedro Martinez Carlton Fisk Tim Wakefield Dave Roberts Curt Schilling Every available member of the 2004 Red Sox
    Posted by 2004Idiots
    I think the Sox should invite JV and allow Damon to hit it into the rf seats much like he did in the 2004ALCS. You remember that series. The one when a team down 0-3 came back and humiliated the yankees by taking the next 4 for the first time ever in BB history. My second choice would be KB. Schilling, Pedro or Davey would be ok as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Didn't MLB back down and made an exception for Pesky in the dugout? I thought they did, but I might be wrong. I can't remember.

I'd say Pesky and Bobby Doerr if they're able. The DP combination of the 1946 team would be too cool. Yaz should be part of it too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The first pitch should be thrown by Luis Tiant. Ozzie should have a chat with Looie about perception of a certain leader.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Who would you like to see throw the first pitch at Fenway’s 100th Anniversary Game vs. the Yanks on April 20? : I think the Sox should invite JV and allow Damon to hit it into the rf seats much like he did in the 2004ALCS. You remember that series. The one when a team down 0-3 came back and humiliated the yankees by taking the next 4 for the first time ever in BB history. My second choice would be KB. Schilling, Pedro or Davey would be ok as well.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer

Except that Damon has no desire to go to fenway, except for when he plays there as an indian.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I could care less....how about a W?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slakrking. Show slakrking's posts

oldest living Red Sox

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

oldest living Red Sox
    Posted by slakrking

I was thinking the same thing. Doeer and Pesky are both in their 90s so they'd have to be contenders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Luis Tiant
    Mike Lowell
    Tommy Harper

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you like to see throw the first pitch at Fenway’s 100th Anniversary Game vs. the Yanks on April 20? : I was thinking the same thing. Doeer and Pesky are both in their 90s so they'd have to be contenders.
    Posted by royf19

It should be one of those two.

Maybe they should pick the one who won a WS..........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

El Tiante is a good choice, or how about Bill Lee? 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you like to see throw the first pitch at Fenway’s 100th Anniversary Game vs. the Yanks on April 20? : The Steinbrenners are very big supporters of the Jimmy Fund as well.
    Posted by TBINFL

George was a big supporter of the JF, to his credit, Babe. However,  Hank and Hal have not been. They may have other charities they chose to support.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pesky should be the one. He had been a very visible part of this team for many, MANY years until....hmmmmmm.... he got old, and? I know MLB made some garbage rule about the number of non-players allowed on the bench, but the team didn't seem to do too much to support a guy who's been here longer than anyone. He'd be my first choice.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

My choice also, dragon, Sox retired his number a few years ago, out of respect.  Also, the organization was told not to allow him in the dugout for years and did anyway. Only when the league came down on them hard, did the comply.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Oldest Living Red Sox Puts Down High Paid Athletes

Baseball is America’s favorite pastime. It’s a leisurely summer game played by young men and enjoyed by people of all ages.

One of baseball’s most revered teams is the American League’s Boston Red Sox, founded in 1901. Futility plagued the Sox for 86-years from 1918 until the team’s World Championship in 2004.

Great players, including Babe Ruth – before the historic trade to the Yankees – Ted Williams – the last player to hit over .400 average in a single season and Carl Yastrzemski, among others, have graced the ranks of the competitive Red Sox franchise.

Japan’s Daisuke Matsuzaka joined the team in 2007 for the incredible sum of 50-million dollars.

“That was the craziest thing I ever saw,” Lou Lucier, 94, the oldest living Red Sox, told Boston.com. Lucier came to the team in 1943 at the bargain basement price of $750 a month. “That was pretty good money,’’ he says. “I compared that with my father working in a Blackstone Valley cotton mill. He was making $19 a week.”

The Sox let Lucier throw to Ted Williams whenever he was in from military service for batting practice.

“He was a wonderful guy to me, always encouraging,” Lucier told Boston.com. “It’s something I’ll never forget. He wanted me to throw him curveballs. I made sure I didn’t hit him.”

Lucier’s wife died seven years ago but his three children have given him five grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren. He still receives about a half-dozen monthly letters asking for autographs. He is an inspiration to people living in Massachusetts Assisted Living and Continuing Care residences.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Oldest Living Red Sox Puts Down High Paid Athletes Written by Stephen Winbaum March 29, 2012 Baseball is America’s favorite pastime. It’s a leisurely summer game played by young men and enjoyed by people of all ages. One of baseball’s most revered teams is the American League’s Boston Red Sox, founded in 1901. Futility plagued the Sox for 86-years from 1918 until the team’s World Championship in 2004. Great players, including Babe Ruth – before the historic trade to the Yankees – Ted Williams – the last player to hit over .400 average in a single season and Carl Yastrzemski, among others, have graced the ranks of the competitive Red Sox franchise. Japan’s Daisuke Matsuzaka joined the team in 2007 for the incredible sum of 50-million dollars. “That was the craziest thing I ever saw,” Lou Lucier, 94, the oldest living Red Sox, told Boston.com. Lucier came to the team in 1943 at the bargain basement price of $750 a month. “That was pretty good money,’’ he says. “I compared that with my father working in a Blackstone Valley cotton mill. He was making $19 a week.” The Sox let Lucier throw to Ted Williams whenever he was in from military service for batting practice. “He was a wonderful guy to me, always encouraging,” Lucier told Boston.com. “It’s something I’ll never forget. He wanted me to throw him curveballs. I made sure I didn’t hit him.” Lucier’s wife died seven years ago but his three children have given him five grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren. He still receives about a half-dozen monthly letters asking for autographs. He is an inspiration to people living in Massachusetts Assisted Living and Continuing Care residences.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

Jim where did you get that from. Whoever wrote the headline for that piece needs a lesson in headline writing. I never saw where he was putting down today's high-paid athletes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Only one choice - Luis Tiant to Carlton Fisk

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

lackey

After all, he kinda embodies this team as currently constructed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

El Tiante of course.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

A great thread topic in theory and many good posts by Red Sox fans but one needs to do some weeding to find them.

Sections
Shortcuts