who would you rather have?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

who would you rather have?

In the trade two years ago for Gonzalez, the Sox traded Casey Kelly and Anthony Rizzo.

Now the Sox traded Gonzalez to the Dodgers for Allen Webster, Jerry Sands and Ruby Del Rosa.

Question would the Sox have better off never making those trades and just keeping Kelly and Rizzo, or are the three we got from the Dodgers better prospects?

Now I realize that all trades are risks, but looking back would the Sox have better off just keeping Kelly and Rizzo?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: who would you rather have?

Casey Kelly is a bum and Rizzo is mediocre.  The trade for AGON was nothing short of an absolute fleece.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I'd rather have de la Rosa and Webster over Kelly and Fuentes.   Rizzo is much, much  better than Sands...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Casey Kelly is a bum and Rizzo is mediocre.  The trade for AGON was nothing short of an absolute fleece.

[/QUOTE]

By bum and medicocre, I assume you mean "still under 24 with lots of control left."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to peanutandme's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In the trade two years ago for Gonzalez, the Sox traded Casey Kelly and Anthony Rizzo.

Now the Sox traded Gonzalez to the Dodgers for Allen Webster, Jerry Sands and Ruby Del Rosa.

Question would the Sox have better off never making those trades and just keeping Kelly and Rizzo, or are the three we got from the Dodgers better prospects?

Now I realize that all trades are risks, but looking back would the Sox have better off just keeping Kelly and Rizzo?

[/QUOTE]

Rizzo I would love to have back because the best may be yet to come.  If the Sox could manage to sign a couple FA pitchers out of McCarthy, Anibal or Marcum, then trade for Wil Myers I think we would eventually replace the loss of Rizzo, AGon and improve our staff.  Kelly at this point looks like another over hyped youngster but time will tell. 

The mystery starts all over again with Lackey next season.  I don't think he will ever have a real impact for our club even after the surgery.  However,  for our sake I would love to be wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Casey Kelly may be a "bum," but the righthander struck out 39 and walked only three in 37.2 minor league innings last year before his 23th birthday. Neither Allen Webster nor Rubby de la Rosa has been ranked higher in the Baseball America prospect rankings.

Anthony Rizzo may be "mediocre," but here's how the 23-year-old stacked up against 30-year-old Adrian Gonzalez last season:

AR 368 PA, .285/.342/.463/.805

AG 684 PA, .299/.344/.463/.806

Meanwhile, the depth chart at the Red Sox website lists Mauro Gomez at first base.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    If the Gonzo trade were not done, we not only would still have the prospects, but we'd also most likely still have Adrian Beltre playing third.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    If the Gonzo trade were not done, we not only would still have the prospects, but we'd also most likely still have Adrian Beltre playing third.

[/QUOTE]

We weren't to re-sign him.  If Theo liked him that much, we'd have gone long-term in the first place.  Just like with Bay and VMart, Beltre was acquired for draft pick purposes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think it was close enough, but a big part of the original trade was acquiring one year of Gonzo for $6M.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Rizzo is doing quite for the Cubs.  Damn you Theo.  LOL 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Casey Kelly may be a "bum," but the righthander struck out 39 and walked only three in 37.2 minor league innings last year before his 23th birthday. Neither Allen Webster nor Rubby de la Rosa has been ranked higher in the Baseball America prospect rankings

Anthony Rizzo may be "mediocre," but here's how the 23-year-old stacked up against 30-year-old Adrian Gonzalez last season:

AR 368 PA, .285/.342/.463/.805

AG 684 PA, .299/.344/.463/.806

Meanwhile, the depth chart at the Red Sox website lists Mauro Gomez at first base.

[/QUOTE]

You are correct sir.  In retro, we forego Agon and keep the pair.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

This is an example of Sox prospects being overrated.  When Kelly was drafted he was a maybe SS / maybe Pitcher.  But wasnt particulary great at either.  Well, he's not going to do both, so I yawn.  Pre 2010 : top 25 prospect, pre 2011: 31 prospect, pre 2012: #76 prospect (do we see a trend?)  The guy doesnt have elite stuff.  He didnt pitch that many innings in 2012, but what he did pitch was unimpressive. 

Rizzo is by far the better of the two.  So we traded Rizzo for AGON.  All day.