Who would you rather see?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Who would you rather see?

In response to ADG's comment:

Middlebrooks or Betts/Cecchini? Easy one, not Middlebrooks

Webster or Ranaudo? Ranaudo

Why was Ranaudo sent down? I don't understand. I don't want to see Workman start any more. He's a reliever.

What I would rather see? Is letting the pitcher bat instead of JBJ......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I am not "seriously judging" either one of them on what has happened in just a few starts, just talking baseball. Why are you seriously judging them on the few starts they have had?

I thought my point was obvious, most people on this board think Ranaudo is pitching well, while most think Webster isn't. I didn't think mentioning a stat meant I was "seriously judging" anyone.

OK, point well taken.

I'm just saying the small sample size of Ranaudo in the bigs is not really a factor to me in this determination.

I agree, many here seem to be very down on Webster. His BB/9 is a concern, but his ML sample size is pretty small too. His control issues were present on the farm too, but he, IMO, earned a chance to see what he can do in MLB and not just a short look or a bunch of short looks going back and forth.

I'm thinking we will have a much better idea of who Webster is after 5 more starts, but he may still need even more time to learn his best role.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Webster for the rest of the year should be pitching every 5th day. 

RDLR should be pitching every 5th day.

middlebrooks should be playing 3b everyday.

JBJ should be playing CF everyday

X-bo should be playing SS everyday

Cespedes should be playing LF everyday

Vazquez should be catching everday

then lets look at the #'s at the end of the season and see what we have.

other names i have posted under:  none

I agree, but would put Cespedes in RF.

I also do not see Bogey as out long term SS, but he's all we got right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Apparently, according to a comment from Remy during one of the games, Cespedes doesn't "want" to play RF. I agree that he is best suited for RF, and I don't really see what he "wants" should matter. He should play where he is told to play.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Good post, Moon. It takes guts to point out to some of these posters that Xander isn't the 2nd coming of Nomar.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Apparently, according to a comment from Remy during one of the games, Cespedes doesn't "want" to play RF. I agree that he is best suited for RF, and I don't really see what he "wants" should matter. He should play where he is told to play.

True. He should play where the manager tells him to play. Unfortunately, the SOX have Farrell.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

Good post, Moon. It takes guts to point out to some of these posters that Xander isn't the 2nd coming of Nomar.

Bogaerts is improving defensively at SS. He has made several very good plays lately. I am not sure if you are watching the games, but the change is pretty clear to me from when he played SS before.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

When Nomar was Bogaerts' age, he was playing for Georgia Tech.  Nomar made his MLB debut at age 24.  Let's check back on Bogaerts in a few years when he'll be the same age as Nomar was, and see what kind of numbers he's putting up, especially now that he'll be playing SS, where he is actually comfortable.  The 3rd base experiment is now officially over.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

I had serious doubts about Bogey's defense long ago, and I suggested we change his position sooner rather than later. I was disappointed that he had to "learn" 3B during the World Series.

Note: I was never impressed with Nomar's SS defense, even during his prime, despite the theatrical whirling twirling plays made from the hole. (Other SSs would have just calmly planted and gunned the runner out). By the time we traded Nomar, he was a horrible defender, and I still believe Cabrera's SS defense helped us break the curse.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I had serious doubts about Bogey's defense long ago, and I suggested we change his position sooner rather than later. I was disappointed that he had to "learn" 3B during the World Series.

Note: I was never impressed with Nomar's SS defense, even during his prime, despite the theatrical whirling twirling plays made from the hole. (Other SSs would have just calmly planted and gunned the runner out). By the time we traded Nomar, he was a horrible defender, and I still believe Cabrera's SS defense helped us break the curse.

Sox4ever

I agree.  Theo mentioned at the time of the trade that he didn't think the "infield" defense was good enough.  He was able to say that because they also acquired Mientkiewicz to spell Millar at first.  Nomar had become a defensive liability and he wasn't happy at the time, despite the fact that he said he was "devastated" by the trade.  The steroids literally took away a lot of his flexibility as well.  It took a lot of guts to make that trade, but the results speak for themselves.

I know you don't like Bogaerts at SS, and your concern is valid, but from what I hear, you might want to start getting used to the idea.  He won't be playing 3rd again any time soon, and I hear that they clearly realize that moving him off of SS was a huge mistake.  The move made some sense at the time considering the circumstances, but apparently he literally hates the position.  He has looked better there since the move back, and my guess is that he'll start to hit again, too.  The kid is just way too naturally talented offensively to put him somewhere where he isn't comfortable.  As far as trading him goes, that's just not a realistic possibility at all this coming off season.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Sox4ever

I was actually commenting more on Nomar's offense than defense. Anyways, Xander will never be the all around player that Nomar was. Take that to the bank.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Sox4ever

I agree.  Theo mentioned at the time of the trade that he didn't think the "infield" defense was good enough.  He was able to say that because they also acquired Mientkiewicz to spell Millar at first.  Nomar had become a defensive liability and he wasn't happy at the time, despite the fact that he said he was "devastated" by the trade.  The steroids literally took away a lot of his flexibility as well.  It took a lot of guts to make that trade, but the results speak for themselves.

The day Nomar was traded, I told my brothers-in-law, "We finally have a short stop that can field- we are going to win the championship!" After being down 3-0 to the Yanks, I just figured it was another year of dashed hopes, but...

I know you don't like Bogaerts at SS, and your concern is valid, but from what I hear, you might want to start getting used to the idea.  

As much as it pains me to believe it, I think you are right. I'm not obsessed with SS defense, and I know teams can and have won without it. I suppose if we can get a fine 3Bman, I'm okay with a weak fielding-strong hitting SS, but I am assuming Bogey becomes a bigger plus on offense.

He won't be playing 3rd again any time soon, and I hear that they clearly realize that moving him off of SS was a huge mistake.  

I was wrong about Bogey's ability to pick up 3B defense quickly. I thought his skill set was more geared towards 3B (or 1B) than SS. I'm not sure what position, if any, he can ever become a plus on defense at, but I'm thinking maybe LF might be it.

I'm not so sure about his move to 3B affecting his offense this year, but I suppose it could be a valid reason. With our logjam in LF right now, I seriously doubt the thought of moving Bogey there is being considered.

With only Marrero as competition going forward, I am resigned to the fact that Bogey will be our SS in 2015 and probably beyond.

The move made some sense at the time considering the circumstances, but apparently he literally hates the position.  He has looked better there since the move back, and my guess is that he'll start to hit again, too.  The kid is just way too naturally talented offensively to put him somewhere where he isn't comfortable.  As far as trading him goes, that's just not a realistic possibility at all this coming off season.  

Probably not, but I am not so sure his trade stock has fallen as much as many here might think. The main reason I don't see him being traded is that we really have no all around good left side IF'er right now or in the near future. I don't see Bogey as "all around", but he represents our best offensive outlook on that side of the infield.

I was actually commenting more on Nomar's offense than defense. Anyways, Xander will never be the all around player that Nomar was. Take that to the bank.

Nomar was never "all around", so I'm not getting your point. 

I wouldn't count on Bogey to ever hit like Nomar, but as bad as I view Bogey's SS defense right now, he doesn't have far to go to be as good as Nomar ever was on defense.

Sox4ever

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Sox4ever

Considering the fact the Nomar put up Hall of Fame numbers the first 6 full seasons of his career, excluding the year he was injured, you're probably right, but if you can't recognize Bogaert's talent (obviously), then you're just not getting it.  

He's 21.  Again, Nomar made his debut at 24 and turned 25 mid way through his first full season.  Bogaerts started at a position he had never played for a World Series Champion at the age of 20/21, and despite what the final stats say, outside of Ortiz, he arguably had the best at bats of anyone in the playoffs for Boston.  Then again, I don't think you're a Red Sox fan.  

•  

Most of you know how I view Jeter's SS defense as the worst decade of SS defense I know of, but I find it interesting that when ARod was about to be traded to Boston, he never spoke of moving to 3B to accommodate Nomar, but he did for the worst fielding SS in my lifetime.

Where's that leave Nomar's defense in ARod's book?

Sox4ever

Considering the fact the Nomar put up Hall of Fame numbers the first 6 full seasons of his career, excluding the year he was injured, you're probably right, but if you can't recognize Bogaert's talent (obviously), then you're just not getting it.

He's 21. Again, Nomar made his debut at 24 and turned 25 mid way through his first full season. Bogaerts started at a position he had never played for a World Series Champion at the age of 20/21, and despite what the final stats say, outside of Ortiz, he arguably had the best at bats of anyone in the playoffs for Boston. Then again, I don't think you're a Red Sox fan.

Well said, and despite the fact that Bogey's 2014 season is a significant sample size, he's still so terribly young and has a long road ahead of him. I still am strongly confident he will be a top 5 offensive SS in a short time. I worry about his defense, but there's time and room for improvement there as well.

Sox4ever

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Sox4ever

The day Nomar was traded, I told my brothers-in-law, "We finally have a short stop that can field- we are going to win the championship!" After being down 3-0 to the Yanks, I just figured it was another year of dashed hopes, but...

I know you don't like Bogaerts at SS, and your concern is valid, but from what I hear, you might want to start getting used to the idea.  

As much as it pains me to believe it, I think you are right. I'm not obsessed with SS defense, and I know teams can and have won without it. I suppose if we can get a fine 3Bman, I'm okay with a weak fielding-strong hitting SS, but I am assuming Bogey becomes a bigger plus on offense.

He won't be playing 3rd again any time soon, and I hear that they clearly realize that moving him off of SS was a huge mistake.  

I was wrong about Bogey's ability to pick up 3B defense quickly. I thought his skill set was more geared towards 3B (or 1B) than SS. I'm not sure what position, if any, he can ever become a plus on defense at, but I'm thinking maybe LF might be it.

I'm not so sure about his move to 3B affecting his offense this year, but I suppose it could be a valid reason. With our logjam in LF right now, I seriously doubt the thought of moving Bogey there is being considered.

With only Marrero as competition going forward, I am resigned to the fact that Bogey will be our SS in 2015 and probably beyond.

The move made some sense at the time considering the circumstances, but apparently he literally hates the position.  He has looked better there since the move back, and my guess is that he'll start to hit again, too.  The kid is just way too naturally talented offensively to put him somewhere where he isn't comfortable.  As far as trading him goes, that's just not a realistic possibility at all this coming off season.  

Probably not, but I am not so sure his trade stock has fallen as much as many here might think. The main reason I don't see him being traded is that we really have no all around good left side IF'er right now or in the near future. I don't see Bogey as "all around", but he represents our best offensive outlook on that side of the infield.

Good points, Moon.  Bogey has sounded like the "footwork" required to play 3rd got in his head and the "reaction time" is way different obviously.  I agree, from what I hear, the "trade value" hasn't taken a hit.  There are some pretty bright guys in the Sox organization who still think he'll be a star, and they realize the move to 3rd definitely got in his head.  There are a lot of people around around the game who still think he will be a star.  

Ironically, I've always been a Middlebrooks guy because of his raw power, and you and Notin haven't been, but a guy who you know who played the game and now works for ESPN, told me at the Winter Meetings that "Middlebrooks would be a stay at home Dad in 2 years."  He's pretty dry and it was a good laugh.  He may be right.

You played the game, Yogi wasn't far off with his "90% mental" "stats."  Hopefully Bogaerts continues to improve defensively, and Butterfield is one of the best teachers out there.  That said, this is boring. I need to start a good argument with you soon. ;)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

no way. belongs right where he is in left field. Victorino mans a great right field in Fenway. i really hope he's healthy next year and we get the three athletic cannons nin the outfield at the same time.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

bizarre that anyone has a problem with Xander at short. weird, misplaced hangup.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Sox4ever

He's 21.  Again, Nomar made his debut at 24 and turned 25 mid way through his first full season.  Bogaerts started at a position he had never played for a World Series Champion at the age of 20/21, and despite what the final stats say, outside of Ortiz, he arguably had the best at bats of anyone in the playoffs for Boston.  Then again, I don't think you're a Red Sox fan.  

I'm a Red Sox fan who's not drinking the Xander Kool-aide. Maybe you can post him into a great player.

•  

In response to chetgnat's comment:

bizarre that anyone has a problem with Xander at short. weird, misplaced hangup.

Bizarre that someone would comment about it. Just a weird, misplaced post. Actually, though, I don't have a problem with Xander at short. His playing SS will bear out my prediction that he's just overhyped. 

Good points, Moon. Bogey has sounded like the "footwork" required to play 3rd got in his head and the "reaction time" is way different obviously. I agree, from what I hear, the "trade value" hasn't taken a hit. There are some pretty bright guys in the Sox organization who still think he'll be a star, and they realize the move to 3rd definitely got in his head. There are a lot of people around around the game who still think he will be a star.

Ironically, I've always been a Middlebrooks guy because of his raw power, and you and Notin haven't been, but a guy who you know who played the game and now works for ESPN, told me at the Winter Meetings that "Middlebrooks would be a stay at home Dad in 2 years." He's pretty dry and it was a good laugh. He may be right.

You played the game, Yogi wasn't far off with his "90% mental" "stats." Hopefully Bogaerts continues to improve defensively, and Butterfield is one of the best teachers out there. That said, this is boring. I need to start a good argument with you soon. ;)

I'm sure almost every other GM in MLB would love to have Bogey. They are not all dumb.

I agree that Bogey's footwork has been is main issue, and that seems to be something that can be corrected or improved upon. 

In a way, I'm almost hoping his offensive issues were 90% mental and not actually pitchers finding out his secrets. I think he's smart enough to overcome the distractions and build off 2014.

I have been down on Middy for a while, but unlike many here, I am not for trading him. I still have hope he can come around. I'm also for playing him FT the rest of the year in hopes he can regain his confidence and batting eye. I'm not sure he'll ever please me with his defense, but I realize I am a hard man to please in that area.

Sox4ever

Good points, Moon. Bogey has sounded like the "footwork" required to play 3rd got in his head and the "reaction time" is way different obviously. I agree, from what I hear, the "trade value" hasn't taken a hit. There are some pretty bright guys in the Sox organization who still think he'll be a star, and they realize the move to 3rd definitely got in his head. There are a lot of people around around the game who still think he will be a star.

Ironically, I've always been a Middlebrooks guy because of his raw power, and you and Notin haven't been, but a guy who you know who played the game and now works for ESPN, told me at the Winter Meetings that "Middlebrooks would be a stay at home Dad in 2 years." He's pretty dry and it was a good laugh. He may be right.

You played the game, Yogi wasn't far off with his "90% mental" "stats." Hopefully Bogaerts continues to improve defensively, and Butterfield is one of the best teachers out there. That said, this is boring. I need to start a good argument with you soon. ;)

I'm sure almost every other GM in MLB would love to have Bogey. They are not all dumb.

I agree that Bogey's footwork has been is main issue, and that seems to be something that can be corrected or improved upon. 

In a way, I'm almost hoping his offensive issues were 90% mental and not actually pitchers finding out his secrets. I think he's smart enough to overcome the distractions and build off 2014.

I have been down on Middy for a while, but unlike many here, I am not for trading him. I still have hope he can come around. I'm also for playing him FT the rest of the year in hopes he can regain his confidence and batting eye. I'm not sure he'll ever please me with his defense, but I realize I am a hard man to please in that area.

Sox4ever

Middy and Bogey. Being a SOX fan, I hope they both turn into superstars; being a realist, I know they both won't even come close. 

In response to chetgnat's comment:

Right now, Bogey has serious issues fielding SS or 3B. I think he can improve, but am not overly hopeful.

Bogey has struggled at the plate this year, but I have a lot of confidence he will become a force on offense.

no way. [Cespedes] belongs right where he is in left field. Victorino mans a great right field in Fenway. i really hope he's healthy next year and we get the three athletic cannons nin the outfield at the same time.

Big problems with this plan:

1) Victorino being healthy next year is more prayer than reality.

2) If Victorino is healthy next year, Cespedes may be our CF'er.

3) If Cespedes plays LF, where does Craig play? 1B squeezes Napoli our of a job. DH squeezes Papi out of a job.

4) If Craig or Napoli gets hurt, we may end up seeing Betts/Holt/Nava in LF and Cespedes in CF or RF, depending on Vic's health and JBJ's offense.

I'm not saying LF is not Cespedes' best position, but looking at the current make-up of our roster, he may be forced to play elsewhere.

Sox4ever

• Sections
    Shortcuts