Who would you start at shortstop?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: Who would you start at shortstop?

In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop?:
    In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : Good to see you back, Drewski. Pedy and Valentine have been spending a lot of time with the kid, so they're giving him a good, long hard look. Valentine said yesterday no matter where he hit the ball, couldn't get one by him. No question about his defense.
    Posted by J-BAY

Hi "J"!
    funny as it may seem that's exactly what my buddy told me as he watched bobby v hit infield grounders to the three shortstops. he said he hit a screaming line drive that wouldn't go down that iggi made a wizard of oz like grab and made bobby v shout out to him "atta boy"...........he said that iggi was also doing quite nicely in the cage and showed that extra 10 lbs of muscle with some great shots. I'll tell ya, I look forward everynite to watching NESN Daily and Comcast sports net to get the updates of the day. any clue as to why they banned babe again J?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BVTsoxfan. Show BVTsoxfan's posts

Amazing how weak this team has been at shortstop since '04. Let's see, Renteria, Gonzalez, Lugo, Scutaro, Lowrie ... am I missing anyone?
    Posted by LloydDobler

Green

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : Hi "J"! funny as it may seem that's exactly what my buddy told me as he watched bobby v hit infield grounders to the three shortstops. he said he hit a screaming line drive that wouldn't go down that iggi made a wizard of oz like grab and made bobby v shout out to him "atta boy"...........he said that iggi was also doing quite nicely in the cage and showed that extra 10 lbs of muscle with some great shots. I'll tell ya, I look forward everynite to watching NESN Daily and Comcast sports net to get the updates of the day. any clue as to why they banned babe again J?
    Posted by Hammah29r2

Hi, Hammah. Think they're giving Iggy every chance to win the SS position. He missed the second half of last season with an injury,thumb i think, so not sure it's reasonable to expect he'll start in the BIGS, but may see him eventually. No I don't, didn't know he was.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : Green
    Posted by BVTsoxfan

Nick Green ... who I really liked. He was never supposed to be the starter, but when he was called on he went all out every night.
    But think about it ... what a roll call over the years for your most important position in the infield. (Excluding the batteries, of course).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : Nick Green ... who I really liked. He was never supposed to be the starter, but when he was called on he went all out every night. But think about it ... what a roll call over the years for your most important position in the infield. (Excluding the batteries, of course).
    Posted by LloydDobler

yeah Lloyd.  The revolving door since 04, with only 2 good ones amidst mediocre to disaster, is the reason I chalk up for so many folks' passionate desire to have Iggy be SS on opening day, even if he is not ready.  I can understand it.  In fact I feel that impulse myself.  the thought of having a web-gem ninja out there for years to come is so exciting.  But, unless he shows a much-improved bat in ST, my inner cautious manager says "let the kid grow", see whats what in a couple months.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : yeah Lloyd.  The revolving door since 04, with only 2 good ones amidst mediocre to disaster, is the reason I chalk up for so many folks' passionate desire to have Iggy be SS on opening day, even if he is not ready.  I can understand it.  In fact I feel that impulse myself.  the thought of having a web-gem ninja out there for years to come is so exciting.  But, unless he shows a much-improved bat in ST, my inner cautious manager says "let the kid grow", see whats what in a couple months.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

How's Little Spacebaby doing?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : How's Little Spacebaby doing?
    Posted by LloydDobler

Amazing Lloyd.  Just about a year and a half now and exploding.  Talking.  Walking.  Laughing.  The occasional tantrum.  But mostly just sweetness.  My mind is blown.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

FYI, Nick Green's OPS with Boston was over 100 points higher than Iglesias's last year at Pawtucket.  Give the kid more time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

FYI, Nick Green's OPS with Boston was over 100 points higher than Iglesias's last year at Pawtucket.  Give the kid more time.
    Posted by slomag

Iggy was injured last year and it affected his hitting.  He certainly won't have Nick Green "power" but his batting average should move back up to the .260's if he's in AAA based on past performance, yielding at least a 50 point jump in OPS (assuming all singles).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

It's going to be Aviles.  No doubt about it.

No one in the organization has even whispered that it might be Iggy.  He had around 10 extra base hits in 400 at bats at AAA last year.  There is no reason at all to rush him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : Amazing Lloyd.  Just about a year and a half now and exploding.  Talking.  Walking.  Laughing.  The occasional tantrum.  But mostly just sweetness.  My mind is blown.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Excellent!! My oldest had occasional tantrums at that age. Now that he's 10, they're been upgraded to frequent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : Excellent!! My oldest had occasional tantrums at that age. Now that he's 10, they're been upgraded to frequent.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Ha.  Can't wait.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Let Mr. Smooth learn some tricks from Nick and Mike...unless he hits .325 or better in ST, I like him comming up around the break...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Let Mr. Smooth learn some tricks from Nick and Mike...unless he hits .325 or better in ST, I like him comming up around the break...
    Posted by beavis
    What tricks?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : Why would he be a better option? Yes he can hit, but at best he is a below average fielder. The Red Sox need someone at short who will steal away some AB’s from the opposition and maybe help the pitchers cut down on their pitch counts. Also, HanRam is another prima Dona who will need special attention like someone else named Ramirez. There is a big problem on this board of coveting players on other teams. If you really want to improve the team, look at the total player such as hitting, defense, and how well they play with others. Some of my favorite sox players were not always the best, just had the desire to be the best like Rick Burleson. Add that to some talent and then you have a winning ballplayer.
    Posted by taz1956
      THATS A   B I N G O  !!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Iggy manages to hit even just over .250 in ST, I would give him a chance at everyday SS.  We don't really need offense from our SS.  If he can get on the base 1/4 of the time, then his glove should be more valuable than his bat.  And I don't think Aviles or Punto would produce much better offense than Iggy either.  But Iggy should produce much better defense than those two if Iggy was advertised correctly. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

The only true SS is Iglesias. If the RS are going to continue to play utility guys at SS, the defense will suffer. The offense is good enough even with Iggy in the line-up, and the hits and runs saved, far out-weigh any offensive deficiency.
    Posted by Alibiike

Agreed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

If Iggy manages to hit even just over .250 in ST, I would give him a chance at everyday SS.  We don't really need offense from our SS.  If he can get on the base 1/4 of the time, then his glove should be more valuable than his bat.  And I don't think Aviles or Punto would produce much better offense than Iggy either.  But Iggy should produce much better defense than those two if Iggy was advertised correctly. 
    Posted by seannybboi

We can only rely on what the scouts and fans say who saw him play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

By mid spring the choice should be in.  I have a feeling Bobby V wants to see Iglesias break camp and have Aviles serve as a super utility guy where he backs up all infield postions and the corner OF spots.  Punto will also serve as a backup infielder but mostly to spell Pedroia and Youk in order to keep them fresh and healthy.

If Iglesias struggles at the plate and Bobby feels a couple of months of Pawsox ab's will help him, then it will fall to Aviles or possibly a trade.  This offense will score runs regardless of who hits ninth, so I dont think that has a whole lot to do with who starts at SS.  I think Defense will have a lot to do with it.  Especially to save pitchers from week ground ball base its. 

My choice is Iglesias, the time is now and he is making 2 million and we all know his defense is top notch.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : I think it's important for the Sox to get off to a good start this Spring. Aviles should get the start. If Iglesias shows some improvement, offensively, and there's an injury, bring him up then. He's only 21. There's no need to rush him.
    Posted by ThefourBs

I agree FourBs.  Why the need to rush Iglesias?  He could certainly benefit from some more time in AAA.  I think Aviles will do a good job.  If he falters, then you have Iglesias waiting in the wings.  I prefer strong defense over offense at the SS position, but I would hate to see Iglesias brought up too soon and suffer a setback in his confidence and development.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : Hi "J"! funny as it may seem that's exactly what my buddy told me as he watched bobby v hit infield grounders to the three shortstops. he said he hit a screaming line drive that wouldn't go down that iggi made a wizard of oz like grab and made bobby v shout out to him "atta boy"...........he said that iggi was also doing quite nicely in the cage and showed that extra 10 lbs of muscle with some great shots. I'll tell ya, I look forward everynite to watching NESN Daily and Comcast sports net to get the updates of the day. any clue as to why they banned babe again J?
    Posted by Hammah29r2

How you doing Hammah?  I'm starting to get really excited about baseball season starting!  I love watching great defensive players manning the field.  To me, there's nothing better than a pitcher's duel with some great glove work.  Whoever said that chicks did the long ball didn't know what they were talking about!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Posted by Hammah29r2

Most probably the same reason why he was banned 209 times before this. Any clue as to why you, J-Bay, and Spaceman approve of his obvious trolling? Very strange company for an avid Red Sox fan to keep.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I haven't read all the posts, so sorry if I'm repeating someone's post. Can we ask this question at the end of spring training. If Iggy is no better at the plate than he was last yeaer, he's nowhere near ready for the majors, regardless of his defense.

But if he has improved, then maybe he becomes an option. The thing is -- WE DON'T KNOW. So let's ask this question again in another month.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I haven't read all the posts, so sorry if I'm repeating someone's post. Can we ask this question at the end of spring training. If Iggy is no better at the plate than he was last yeaer, he's nowhere near ready for the majors, regardless of his defense. But if he has improved, then maybe he becomes an option. The thing is -- WE DON'T KNOW. So let's ask this question again in another month.
    Posted by royf19

He hit .320 last year in spring training.   Should he have had the job last year?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : He hit .320 last year in spring training.   Should he have had the job last year?
    Posted by slomag

Big freak in deal. He hit .320. How many of his hits were against major-league ready pitching. It was obvious to anyone who knows baseball that he wasn't ready. He had holes in his swing, he was coming off an injury-plagued season and needed more time in the minors.

Only an idiot would simply look at a spring training batting average.

Good managers, coaches and scouts will look to see how his approach is, what kind of hits are he getting, who are they against, does he have a hole in his swing that good pitchers can exploit?

Iggy last year didn't have enough of professional at-bats and was coming off an injury-plagued season so it was a no-brainer he needed to start the year in the minors despite what he did in the spring.

This spring, he's coming off another year of playing. If he has a solid spring and his swing and approach look improved and he looks like he has a clue in the batters box, etc, that's how he can win a job in the spring. That's why I said, let's wait until the end of spring.

Sections
Shortcuts