Who would you start at shortstop?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: Who would you start at shortstop?

Mike Aviles is not an MLB starter. Plus he'll drive us crazy with his batter's box gyrations.
    Jose Iglesias is my starter and I'd give it to him now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop?:
    [QUOTE]Mike Aviles is not an MLB starter. Plus he'll drive us crazy with his batter's box gyrations. Jose Iglesias is my starter and I'd give it to him now.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Batter's box gyrations are not necessarily a bad thing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Agree that he should be given the chance to show he can play in MLB...however I would advise watching him in ST before making this decision.  Sox don't have to have a hitting SS but giving up the 9th spot in the AL East is not an easy thing to do regardless of how strong the lineup is above him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : Batter's box gyrations are not necessarily a bad thing. Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Only a woman would say that...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : Again, missing the point about the reason to at least start Iggy in AAA.  Its not about the runs produced/runs saved ratio.  Its about the kids development and maturation.  If the kid still doesn't know how to take a pitch or recognize breaking stuff, he is going to get eaten alive.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

While I normally agree with this logic to an extent, what is the rage we are talking about here?

Jose Iglesias has a likely offensive ceiling of maybe Alex Gonzalez and a floor of, maybe Cesar Izturis or Rey Ordonez.  Given the limited ceiling, why not take advantage of what he does bring to the game and let him learn to hit as best he can while facing MLB pitching?  We're not talking about ruining Cal Ripken here

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

notin is correct. I am getting upset just thinking about how whacked the FO is with how they refuse to bring in players from the farm. Adam Everett played a good number of years for the Astros and was a poor hitter, but he did an exceptional job fielding. The Red Sox chose to run some 16 different players through the position since the day they traded Nomar.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Jose. A top notch fielding SS is worth more than a .375 hitter---easy! I'm talking near-Ozzie Smith class, mind you!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : How you doing Hammah?  I'm starting to get really excited about baseball season starting!  I love watching great defensive players manning the field.  To me, there's nothing better than a pitcher's duel with some great glove work.  Whoever said that chicks did the long ball didn't know what they were talking about!
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Hi Kimmi! I'm doing great now that our boys are back in their new facility getting ready for 2012. No more beer in the clubhouse or on returning flights is a good thing Kimmi! Big Papi summed it all up quite nicely. he said we're here to play baseball and not to drink. boooya! It's all good baby! and from the what it's worth dept. Jimmy Rice looks like he could still get in the box and hit doesn't he?
    I'm not sure where your location is but we native bostonians really bit the bullet this winter. very little snow which is a great thing. we had plenty last year so I'm not missing it at all. I hope I don't jinx myself cause march could be full of surprises. my buddy down in spring training doesn't wanna fly home. I don't blame him. catch ya later kimmi!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : Batter's box gyrations are not necessarily a bad thing.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Kim, 

Agreed. Who cares what gyrations he goes through in the batters box. If Iggy learns to hit around .250 keep him up in Boston and let him start. If he struggles against major league pitching send him to Pawtucket for some more seasoning. 

I've said in past writings that to bring him up too early, that if he struggles with the bat it could hurt his confidence. I'll back off from that statement in that every player is different and if Iggy struggles depending on his make up it may or may not affect his confidence. It's up to Bobby V and the coaching staff to monor that aspect. 

Also don't let him read the Boston Press ramblings because I'm sure he'll get skewered by some of the notorious press writers. Of course this can't be done !!

Hetchinspete

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would you start at shortstop? : Only a woman would say that...
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Oregon, 

I'm all man and agree with Kim !!

Pete