Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees?

Oh and I forgot, they are 4th in MLB for payroll.

According to Cots, the RS are second in payroll.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd have to say the NYY are in worse shape.  They have almost unlimited resources, but seem to budgeting the last couple of years.  If nothing else, they're free-falling, while we're starting to win.  That seems to happen every year, but their pitching is thin after CC.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees?:
    In Response to Re: Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees? : Just go with it Jete - SPC is afterall the most informed poster on this forum. Or at least until the Sox have a bad week, then he goes into hiding. I like his statement, if the Sox rotation pitches to its potential. He has been blabbing the same rhetoric since he first joined. He has got to get it right one year. I mean look how close he was to the 111 win prediction he made last year. But on his behalf, I will say that I have not seen a Yankee team play such uninspired baseball since the late 60's. The talent is there, but it looks likes too many guys are just collecting a paycheck. We'll know better by the end of June how this plays out.
    Posted by jesseyeric
    That's how the Red Sox looked a couple of weeks ago. I figure the Yanks will turn this around. As they say never shout at the devil until you're sure he's dead.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees?:
      Damn nice chair.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

yankees... sox are actually starting to get healthy and settle in. Yankees have way more questions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

3 starters over 5.00 and Mo and Robertson out.

Nuff said.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In Response to Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees?:
    That's a good question. Frankly both the sox and yanks have major problems. At the beginning of the season I liked the yanks pitching more than Boston's. Not anymore. Both teams have been hit hard with injuries. Sox have been playing most of the season without 2/3 of their outfield and the entire season without their closer. It was suggested the yanks good buy themselves out of the basement. Don't think that's accurate. Hal has made it clear he wants to cut back on spending.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Whats worse injuries or getting old? While both have had their injuries, RS probably worse than any team in baseball. Something I've been questioning for a couple of years. But Yanks might have a bigger problem w/ all the $ they have tied up in Tex / Arod and both have not looked good this year, and look very old and many more years at 22-29 mil. Tex could be illness he's been battling a bronchial issue all year. But Yanks starters have not been much better than RS starters and at least RS pitching is trending up while Yanks problems can be traced to the fact they can't buy a hit w/ runners in scoring position. But both will pass the likes of O's & Jays and battle for a playoff birth

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Whats worse injuries or getting old? While both have had their injuries, RS probably worse than any team in baseball. Something I've been questioning for a couple of years. But Yanks might have a bigger problem w/ all the $ they have tied up in Tex / Arod and both have not looked good this year, and look very old and many more years at 22-29 mil. Tex could be illness he's been battling a bronchial issue all year. But Yanks starters have not been much better than RS starters and at least RS pitching is trending up while Yanks problems can be traced to the fact they can't buy a hit w/ runners in scoring position. But both will pass the likes of O's & Jays and battle for a playoff birth
    Posted by garyhow

Agree totally. The problems of yankee hitters with risp was on display in the ALDS against Detroit and frankly why i felt they needed some change.

Of course the pen has been hit pretty hard with injuries but every club has them it's part of the game.

I know Nunez has performed poorly on the field but imo partly due to the way he has been moved around between different postions. With Nunez and gardner in the line-up the Yankees at least have a dimension to score runs without the long ball.

I didn't agree with moving Montero and now I'm wondering how the Yankees feel about the numbers that Melky Cabrera is putting up in SF. Cabrera for Javier Vaquez is another trade that I bet the yankees would like to do over.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Moon - Are you counting Garcia as one of those 3?

TWM - Completely agree, and good observation about the ALDS

Me- The $500+ Million corner IFers strike again; I'll take Skowron/Pepitone & Boyer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon - Are you counting Garcia as one of those 3? 

He has the 5th most amount of starts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Moon - Are you counting Garcia as one of those 3?  He has the 5th most amount of starts.
    Posted by moonslav59

Now, I admit the Yankees, given their payroll, are an embarrassment; but your comment is kind of a stretch; he's been bounced from the rotation, and is unlikely to return; unless you want to make a wager that he'll have the 5th most # of starts by the end of the season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

3 starters over 5.00 and Mo and Robertson out. Nuff said.
    Posted by moonslav59

Yankee fans yearn for the day Randy Johnson had a 5.00 and went 17-11.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

ouch the worse part is we haven't even paid the price of loosing mo & roberts yet this has been 97% cold bats which will come around eventually I still believe in the backs of the BB cards
    Posted by pinstripezac

Interesting season.  Two of the highest paid teams in the basement.  It stinks for fans but I think it's good for baseball.

I rather have an up and coming team with young guys who have fire in their bellys than the over paid spoiled brats we have now.  Ortiz has joined the ranks of the disrespected.  Give me a break.

I think it's time for both teams to build up their farm system and stop paying these spoiled brats a ton of money to entertain us.  Theyr'e not doing a very good job of it.

Watching overpaid underachievers isn't worth the price of a ticket.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In Response to Re: Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees? : Interesting season.  Two of the highest paid teams in the basement.  It stinks for fans but I think it's good for baseball. I rather have an up and coming team with young guys who have fire in their bellys than the over paid spoiled brats we have now.  Ortiz has joined the ranks of the disrespected.  Give me a break. I think it's time for both teams to build up their farm system and stop paying these spoiled brats a ton of money to entertain us.  Theyr'e not doing a very good job of it. Watching overpaid underachievers isn't worth the price of a ticket.
    Posted by 67redsox

Everybody is paid based on past performance. It's too bad they can't be paid for piecework, all have incentive based contracts based solely on performance.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees? : Interesting season.  Two of the highest paid teams in the basement.  It stinks for fans but I think it's good for baseball. I rather have an up and coming team with young guys who have fire in their bellys than the over paid spoiled brats we have now.  Ortiz has joined the ranks of the disrespected.  Give me a break. I think it's time for both teams to build up their farm system and stop paying these spoiled brats a ton of money to entertain us.  Theyr'e not doing a very good job of it. Watching overpaid underachievers isn't worth the price of a ticket.
    Posted by 67redsox

All sports have become a sham, but baseball is by far the worst. Any contract longer than a few seasons is moronic; blame the owners. Very few long term contracts are even close to worth it. I can't even think of one that recently is; I would have to go back to Reggie Jax in '77, and, that was 2.5 M for 5 yrs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Posted by 67redsox

Actually the 4 highest payroll teams are in the basement of their division (1. NYY, 2. Phil. 3. Redsox, 4. LAA). #5 Tigers aren't doing too well either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees? : greetings 67 It stinks for fans but I think it's good for baseball. I agree with that but not so much the rest for the most part I'm a fan of the veterans don't really care what they get paid   don't particularly care for how some posters here make it sound so easy for some talented green kid to replace them I think it's a disrespect to the game sometimes
    Posted by pinstripezac

Veterans who still love to play and leave everything out on the field then yes, I agree with you.  I'm afraid free agency has ruined the game of baseball.  You hear both owners and players say it's a business and that's true but...

What happened to the love of the game?  Players like Carl Yaz and Carl Ripken are just a memory now.  It's all about players who want to be respected, code for show me the money!

I remember when Ortiz was a lovable guy with a smile a mile wide.  Now he has joined the rest of them :0(  Don't get me started on Beckett!!!

I understand that experience is important but I had tickets for the last two games at Camden Yards last year.  That still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

At this point I still think I would rather see a younger team with drive than these overpaid whiners.

Of course if the Sox go to the WS my opinion may changeWink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees? : Everybody is paid based on past performance. It's too bad they can't be paid for piecework, all have incentive based contracts based solely on performance.
    Posted by MikeNagy

Like I said in my post to Zac, I think free agency has ruined the game.  These guys are able to get big bucs for long term contracts.  Look at Pap.  No team loyalty, it's all about the money.  I remember when Nixon took a home town discount, those were the days.

If a guy gets injured or goes down hill he still gets paid and the team is saddled with his contract,  dice-k is a good example of that.

Beckett stated that baseball isn't his top priority anymore.  I agree that family comes first but for what he's making baseball should come in a very close second.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees? : All sports have become a sham, but baseball is by far the worst. Any contract longer than a few seasons is moronic; blame the owners. Very few long term contracts are even close to worth it. I can't even think of one that recently is; I would have to go back to Reggie Jax in '77, and, that was 2.5 M for 5 yrs.
    Posted by nhsteven

Again, I blame free agency.  Yes owners of teams like the yanks and sox drive up the prices because they can afford to but this would not be the case if there were no free agency.  Just my opinion, for what it's worthSmile

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In Response to Re: Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees? : Like I said in my post to Zac, I think free agency has ruined the game.  These guys are able to get big bucs for long term contracts.  Look at Pap.  No team loyalty, it's all about the money.  I remember when Nixon took a home town discount, those were the days. If a guy gets injured or goes down hill he still gets paid and the team is saddled with his contract,  dice-k is a good example of that. Beckett stated that baseball isn't his top priority anymore.  I agree that family comes first but for what he's making baseball should come in a very close second.
    Posted by 67redsox

If you want to see players play their hearts out who really enjoy the game, and to whom it's not just a job, sadly, you'll have to go to a little league game, and watch the kids.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees? : Actually the 4 highest payroll teams are in the basement of their division (1. NYY, 2. Phil. 3. Redsox, 4. LAA). #5 Tigers aren't doing too well either.
    Posted by greenwellforpresident

That says it all!  No drive, no fire, just cash the check then go golfing.  Is your last name is Greenwell by any chance?.Wink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In Response to Re: Who's in worse shape right now - Red Sox or Yankees? : That says it all!  No drive, no fire, just cash the check then go golfing.  Is your last name is Greenwell by any chance?.
    Posted by 67redsox

No, not Greenwell.  He played when I was in high school and I just wanted to give him a little props via my username.

Sections
Shortcuts