Who's the 1B for the Red Sox in 2014 and beyond?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Who's the 1B for the Red Sox in 2014 and beyond?

Just passed halfway mark and i'm curious who will be in charge of our 1B next season and beyond.  Do you think Sox will extend Napoli or try WMB at 1B or trade?

your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Who's the 1B for the Red Sox in 2014 and beyond?

Those are 2 possibilities. I would think they might want to work with WMB at 3b before they decide to switch him. People have mentioned Bogey and Cecchini. Bogey has never played there either and Cecchini wont be ready until 2015 Im guessing, also with no exp and some question marks regarding defense.

1b is usually a slugger type. They could resign Naps for one more year or find a 1yr stop gap until they figure out which one of their prospects is the guy. Cory Hart might fit that bill. He just had season ending knee surgery, but will be ready for ST. Hes a FA after this year and might be interested in a slight overpay for a 1yr make good deal. Unless he can get the Brewers or another team to give him a longer deal, he might be available. He wil be 32 at the start of 2014, and when healthy is good for 25-30HR 280BA 340OBP and a SLG around 500.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Could be anyone of these or a combination...

Carp, Nava, Snyder, or Middlebrooks

but will probably be a FA signed...

Napoli, K Morales, Morneau, Morse, Reynolds, Hafner, Berkman, Lind,  C Pena, Konerko, Youkilis, Overbay, Loney, or Kotchman

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think Carp could be a diamond in the rough and be a pretty good regular next year.  However I also would not be surprised if the sox bring someone in to play the position as well I just hope it's nothing long term.

There is a very strong chance that we have a young kid who is talented enought to hit enough to justify him at 1B and won't have a position anywhere else.  Between Bogaerts, WMB, Iglesias, and Cecchini something has to give in 2015.  Of course from now until then one or two of these guys could bust or be traded so who knows. 

I think Nava adds more value as a guy who can shift around in the outfield but at this point I might be comfortable with him at 1B for one year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I think Carp could be a diamond in the rough and be a pretty good regular next year.  However I also would not be surprised if the sox bring someone in to play the position as well I just hope it's nothing long term.

There is a very strong chance that we have a young kid who is talented enought to hit enough to justify him at 1B and won't have a position anywhere else.  Between Bogaerts, WMB, Iglesias, and Cecchini something has to give in 2015.  Of course from now until then one or two of these guys could bust or be traded so who knows. 

I think Nava adds more value as a guy who can shift around in the outfield but at this point I might be comfortable with him at 1B for one year. 

I think Nava and Carps versatility is what makes them more valuable, but I wouldnt object if they did choose one of them. There will be plent of options for sure, internally and in FA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Another option would be to bring in a player that can play 3B and 1B on a 1 year contract.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think Nava and Carps versatility is what makes them more valuable, but I wouldnt object if they did choose one of them. There will be plent of options for sure, internally and in FA.

[/QUOTE]

I really like both those guys too. Although I really think only one of them is here next year. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I don't think the Red Sox need to bring anyone in for first base. Offer Napoli arbitration, and if he accepts, so be it, the team would have him under contract for another year. If he declines, that's fine too, go with some combination of Carp/Nava/Middlebrooks/Lavarnway, or consider looking at a reclamation project like Morneau or Hart on short money. I definitely want to see Iglesias as the starting shortstop and Boegarts as the starting third baseman (or starting something - I've read he might be more of a leftfielder at the major league level).

My preference would be to invest free agent money into proven elite pitchers. Maybe trade for a frontline starter (I want Cliff Lee!) or really soldifiy the bullpen with consistent high performers. The Red Sox are in an enviable position right now, with lots of prospects coming up through the minor league system and long-term flexibility for signing free agents.

Whether to give Jacoby Ellsbury a look, I'm ambivalent. It depends on the money. He is a proven performer here. Even though the homerun power vanished, he's a reliably good leadoff hitter, basestealer, and defensive stalwart. That's not always easy to find. He certainly shouldn't receive Carl Crawford money (Carl Crawford shouldn't have been given Carl Crawford money!) but something like 5 years/$65 million with injury clauses and a couple of team option years to puff up the totals for Scott Boras' vanity might be tenable. The Red Sox actually have had fairly good luck when extending their own homegrown players.

Other than the bizarre 1 year/$9.5 million contract for Stephen Drew (would anyone have offered him half that amount?) and getting essentially nothing for Youkilis, I'm very pleased with Ben Cherington. Not that I expected elite talent for a declining injury-prone player like Youkilis, but even a random A-ball guy with some degree of potential would have been better than two AAA castoffs who are already out of the organization less than a year later.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Napoli or WB and or Carp. I believe WB would be another Youk at first simplifies the job for him being at first. If Napoli can play it so can WB.

Love the Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Napoli or WB and or Carp. I believe WB would be another Youk at first simplifies the job for him being at first. If Napoli can play it so can WB.

He has to hit better to play 1b. With all the talent we have, Middy could be trade bait at some point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

[QUOTE]

He has to hit better to play 1b. With all the talent we have, Middy could be trade bait at some point.

[/QUOTE]

Middlebrooks is a pretty good fielder at third, his bat doesn't play at either corner...no sense moving him across the diamond. Bottom line is he has to hit and if he doesn't then simply cut bait and move on. Not sure that he has much value as trade bait, more of a value add in a bigger deal.  My guess is that they'll give him another shot once he shows that he's ready to square up a few more balls down at AAA. He's got tools and is still young enough that they won't just give him away. 

As for the immediate future they'll likely just cobble together both corners until the right players present themselves in FA or trades. Bogharts is an option longer term @ 3rd, if they see that as the best path for his accenttion to the big leagues (Iglesias). The kids still pretty young, so they don't need to rush him...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

If Middlebrooks comes back strong and the Sox think Bogarts is ready next year, the Sox might not go out and bring in someone, especially if they think someone like Brentz might be ready for the OF. That would allow them to move Middlebrooks to 1B with Bogarts at 3B, then if Bogarts struggles and needs more seasoning, they can move Middlebrooks back to 3B with Carp or Nava at 1B with Brentz coming up to help in the OF. If Brentz isn't ready, they could bring in another OF.

If Bradley takes over in CF and Victorino stays in RF, then w/o any additions they have Gomes, Carp and Nava for LF and Carp and Nava for 1B if Napoli doesn't come back. So it hinges on Middlebrooks. If he comes back and finishes strong, they'll have a lot of versatility if they move in to 1B because like Youk, he can move to 3B on occasion.

If the Sox aren't sure about Middlebrooks and they want to at least start Bogarts in the minors, they could try to bring back Napoli for one year and go from there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Another option would be to bring in a player that can play 3B and 1B on a 1 year contract.

Sox4ever

Is that a call for the Greek God of Walks?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

If Middlebrooks comes back strong and the Sox think Bogarts is ready next year, the Sox might not go out and bring in someone, especially if they think someone like Brentz might be ready for the OF. That would allow them to move Middlebrooks to 1B with Bogarts at 3B, then if Bogarts struggles and needs more seasoning, they can move Middlebrooks back to 3B with Carp or Nava at 1B with Brentz coming up to help in the OF. If Brentz isn't ready, they could bring in another OF.

If Bradley takes over in CF and Victorino stays in RF, then w/o any additions they have Gomes, Carp and Nava for LF and Carp and Nava for 1B if Napoli doesn't come back. So it hinges on Middlebrooks. If he comes back and finishes strong, they'll have a lot of versatility if they move in to 1B because like Youk, he can move to 3B on occasion.

If the Sox aren't sure about Middlebrooks and they want to at least start Bogarts in the minors, they could try to bring back Napoli for one year and go from there.

Excellant assesment. I totally agree. I did see that Middy has 4 homers in the last 3 games. i think he is going to hit in the bigs. I also think he would be an excellant first baseman. Tall lanky and covers good ground, excellant glove. I think the Sox are going to resign Els which may block Bradley.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Just passed halfway mark and i'm curious who will be in charge of our 1B next season and beyond.  Do you think Sox will extend Napoli or try WMB at 1B or trade?

your thoughts?

That's the way I'd go.  I'm not a WMB fan, but he could be good, and if he is, the idea of him, Iggy and Bogaerts across the IF is a pretty cool idea.

But if he doesn't develop, I'd feel semi-comfortable with Naps, though he has a very weak K/W.

IRT Carp and Nava, I like them just where they are.  Let Nava take every RH AB from Gomes next year, and let Carp take on the tougher righties, whether it is Nap or WMB at 1st.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Those are 2 possibilities. I would think they might want to work with WMB at 3b before they decide to switch him. People have mentioned Bogey and Cecchini. Bogey has never played there either and Cecchini wont be ready until 2015 Im guessing, also with no exp and some question marks regarding defense.

1b is usually a slugger type. They could resign Naps for one more year or find a 1yr stop gap until they figure out which one of their prospects is the guy. Cory Hart might fit that bill. He just had season ending knee surgery, but will be ready for ST. Hes a FA after this year and might be interested in a slight overpay for a 1yr make good deal. Unless he can get the Brewers or another team to give him a longer deal, he might be available. He wil be 32 at the start of 2014, and when healthy is good for 25-30HR 280BA 340OBP and a SLG around 500.

excellent name drop SP. Corey Hart is a guy who i would want BC to go after during the offseason.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

A platoon of Carp (1B, OF, Lefty bat ) & Snyder (1B, 3B, OF, Righty) backed-up by a good ST by both, could be beneficial. 

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

Excellant assesment. I totally agree. I did see that Middy has 4 homers in the last 3 games. i think he is going to hit in the bigs. I also think he would be an excellant first baseman. Tall lanky and covers good ground, excellant glove. I think the Sox are going to resign Els which may block Bradley.

With Middlebrooks right now, I'm less concerned with the homers (they'll come) and more concerned with him hitting consistently to all fields. Of course, the homers are nice. I think Middlebrooks could end up like Jim Thome. When Thome came up as a 3B with Cleveland, he was somewhat lanky like Middlebrooks before filling out more. That might be Middlebrooks' body type, which would make 1B ideal.

I don't have a problem with Ellsbury coming back, but it might not block Bradley. Despite what Nava is doing, they could always start him in LF and he'd be a better RF option if Victorino gets hurt or needs time off.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I like Middlebrooks.  There is growing evidence his difficulties were due at least in part to lingering injury issues. Injuries are always a difficult subject for players. Some guys don't complain, they think it sounds like excuse making, and then they get ripped for poor play which is linked to an undisclosed injury. 

If Middlebrooks comes back up and hits around .280 with power he's the choice for 1B. This is predicated on  Boegarts starting at 3B. 

We'll know soon enough. If Middlebrooks comes back up and goes right back to hitting .200, well then it's time to rethink. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The problem right now for the Red Sox -- and it's a good problem -- is that they have a bunch of young guys -- Bogarts, Middlebrooks, Brentz, Iggy, Bradley and others -- whom they want to go forward with, but they have to decide who is ready and who is the real deal. They don't want to put a guy in before he's ready but they they also don't want to block him if he's not.

So right now, it's hard to really know what next year will be like before you have a bunch of players right at the borderline of being ready. The next three month are going to be huge for a number of players.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With Middlebrooks right now, I'm less concerned with the homers (they'll come) and more concerned with him hitting consistently to all fields. Of course, the homers are nice. I think Middlebrooks could end up like Jim Thome. When Thome came up as a 3B with Cleveland, he was somewhat lanky like Middlebrooks before filling out more. That might be Middlebrooks' body type, which would make 1B ideal.

I don't have a problem with Ellsbury coming back, but it might not block Bradley. Despite what Nava is doing, they could always start him in LF and he'd be a better RF option if Victorino gets hurt or needs time off.

[/QUOTE]

Good point on the comparison to Thome, that would be a great solution long term to 1st base. I always felt that Boggy would end up at SS, but Iggy is doing his thing and there was never any doubt about the value of his glove. So If Boggy can move to 3rd succesfully that would be one really nice young infield with the old man (and should be captain) Peddy at 30 years of age. I still like Brentz and would like to see him get his shot. Guess the way things are going right now these are good problems to have.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

I see that Cecchini, is tearing it up now at AA after his promotion, another tall lanky guy that could possibly move to first in the future as well. Seems we are loaded with 3rd basemen and this position is appearing to be blocked for the next several years.

I dont like facts, they cloud my irresponsible Judgement!

I often go back to read what i wrote only to find out it's not what I said!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think we can assume that Iglesias is the shortstop.  We have three other young infielders who look like keepers. Middlebrooks , Bogaerts and Cecchini. One would play third, one would move over to first and one would probably move to left field.  When Ortiz retires , we could go with a rotation at DH.  I think Middlebrooks would be the best candidate for first base. Don't know much about Cecchini except that he looks like he can hit.  You want all their bats in the lineup.

Stabbed by Foulke