Who's your MVP now that season's almost done

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Who's your MVP now that season's almost done

Still CGran is the favorite?? I dont think so...

Both CGran and Agon have cooled down this month which won't help them win the honor.  Who gets your vote now?

Jose Bautista - .304 AVG/ 42 HR/ 100 RBI/ 296 TB/ 115 BB/ 1.073 OPS

Jacoby Ellsbury - .321 AVG/ 27 HR/ 94 RBI/ 321 TB/ 108 R/ 36 SB/ .922 OPS

Curtis Granderson - .268 AVG/ 39 HR/ 111 RBI/ 128 R/ 303 TB/ 24 SB/ .933 OPS

Adrian Gonzalez - .340 AVG/ 25 HR/ 109 RBI/ 102 R/ 321 TB/ .962 OPS

Justin Verlander - 23W-5L/ 2.36 ERA/ 0.92 WHIP/ .192 AVG/ 4.5:1 SOWR

It's going to be a September showdown between Bautista and Ells.  What do you say?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

Re: Who's your MVP now that season's almost done

I started a thread about this last week, but why no love for Miguel Cabrera when it comes to MVP?  I think he deserves the honor above everyone else.  The Tigers are not the vaunted offense that the Sox, Yankees, or even the Rangers are, yet, they are in first place and may even have the "second seed" in the playoffs.  This is largely attributable to two men - Cabrera and Verlander.  In my opinion, the former should be MVP and the latter should be the Cy Young winner.  Cabrera is top 5 in all major offensive categories except HRs in which he's top 10, and his WAR and OPS+ are right there, top 3 in both.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crawful. Show crawful's posts

carl crawford.
    he should also be considered for a gold glove.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Now that the WC race is a lot closer, I give the edge to Ellsbury.  Without Granderson, the Yankees are probably behind in the division race, but leading the WC race.   Without Ellsbury, the Sox are probably struggling to make the post-season.  

Cabrera has had a great season, but he's a liability defensively.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's gonna come down to the wire but Jacoby has a real chance to be the MVP; at the very least he has taken over from Beckett as the team MVP IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am writing in Cano as I think he is coming on strong in the end and will carry NY to the division. Unless Grandy or A-Gon go crazy these last 15 games, I have no problem with Cabrera. And Ells is certainly worthy of some votes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Verlander or Granderson, who leads the AL in runs and is tied for lead in rbi's.  Ellsbury for the Sox, but think those two have a better claim. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Who's your MVP now that season's almost done:
    [QUOTE]Verlander or Granderson, who leads the AL in runs and is tied for lead in rbi's.  Ellsbury for the Sox, but think those two have a better claim. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    Granderson is not likely to win the award if he hits in the .260's. Ellsbury has a more impressive complete package. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

you really think .268 deserves a MVP?????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigmarv75. Show bigmarv75's posts

[QUOTE]you really think .268 deserves a MVP?????
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Avg does not equal production (see Joe Maur)......Granderson is 1 in runs scored and 1 in runs driven in.....MVP

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Granderson was my pick a month ago, but in addition to his low BA, he's a strikeout machine.  He has produced a ton of runs, but he has probably wasted more opportunities than anyone else in baseball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]Granderson was my pick a month ago, but in addition to his low BA, he's a strikeout machine.  He has produced a ton of runs, but he has probably wasted more opportunities than anyone else in baseball.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

but he has probably wasted more opportunities than anyone else in baseball.

LOL, I don't think it works that way

K's  are  overrated

how many times did he K leading off an inning

how many times did he K with no one on base

how many times did he K  to make the 3rd out

do any of those K's matter ?

does average really matter if you are at / near the top in HR, RS & RBI's ?

I think not

that said

I think both our teams have to many guys having big yrs

for any of them to win it

I'm going with verlander for today at least

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who's your MVP now that season's almost done : but he has probably wasted more opportunities than anyone else in baseball. LOL, I don't think it works that way K's  are  overrated how many times did he K leading off an inning how many times did he K with no one on base how many times did he K  to make the 3rd out do any of those K's matter ? does average really matter if you are at / near the top in HR, RS & RBI's ? I think not   that said I think both our teams have to many guys having big yrs for any of them to win it I'm going with verlander for today at least
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

He K'd 85 times with men on base, and 74 with the bases empty.  Fifty with runners in scoring position, but I couldn't say how many of those were with less than two outs.  But it's probably fair to guess 1/3, which is still a lot of missed opportunities.  Give those opportunities to Ellsbury, and he's your RBI leader.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

But it's probably fair to guess 1/3

LOL

ok slomag

who could argue with that ;-)

point taken slomag, 

but I still say

to many guys having big yrs in boston

to call 1 an mvp

Give those opportunities to Ellsbury, and he's your RBI leader.

Hmmm, so what tacos RBI %  ;-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Again it's Ellsbury but only IF the Sox make the playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

I think Ellsbury is the best and most valuable player in the AL this year, and the Sox need to lock him up with a long term deal, even if it means not re-signing Ortiz. Ellsbury is that good (Of course I assume the Sox can afford to keep both guys.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]I think Ellsbury is the best and most valuable player in the AL this year, and the Sox need to lock him up with a long term deal, even if it means not re-signing Ortiz. Ellsbury is that good (Of course I assume the Sox can afford to keep both guys.)
    Posted by athens7676[/QUOTE]

the Sox need to lock him up with a long term deal

yeah but

most don't think that's possible

being a scott boras guy and all

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who's your MVP now that season's almost done : Avg does not equal production (see Joe Maur)......Granderson is 1 in runs scored and 1 in runs driven in.....MVP
    Posted by bigmarv75[/QUOTE]

AVG does not equal to production... but low AVG does not contribute to winning MVP award.  Low AVG wins MVP when there is no other candidates.  This year we have Ells... CGran won't win the honor

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

MVP race is very close , with several players in the running.  What happens over the next two weeks will determine the winner.  Cannot pick the winner at this time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

Jacoby here ofcourse because its a sox board but outside of this I think its going to come down to Granderson and Verlander. And Verlander has been a beast this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Verlander...why not.  You can't be better at what you do than he has been this year.  And he is carrying his team to the playoffs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It is a vote amongst qualified writers so the field of candidates and how that sorts out matters.

In the case the RS the candidacy of Ellsbury-A-Gon will tend to split votes up. To some extent Miggy Cabrera's going to dillute votes from Verlander. All tends to point towards Granderson to me.You never lnow but I think that is how the votes end up going down.

As for the RS MVP, if the season ended today, shocking as it maybe it is Ellsbury and by a comfortable margin as good as A-Gon has played IMO.

Just my takes...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I am not a fan of a pitcher winning the MVP for playing one-fifth of the season, but this is how I think it plays out.

1. Verlander
    2. Ellsbury
    3. Granderson
    4. Gonzalez
    5. Bautista

Althought the standings aren't not supposed to matter in the results, I think that is a crock. Rarely do you see the MVP chosen from a team who does poorly.

Sections
Shortcuts