Whose side do you take?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Whose side do you take?

This is from Yahoo.com:

A season ago in the wake of Alex Rodriguez(notes) infamously invading Dallas Braden's(notes) moundspace, author Jason Turbow wrote a post on The Stew in conjunction with (and to promote) his book about the so-called "unwritten rules" of baseball.

The confrontation between Chicago White Sox left-hander John Danks(notes) and Toronto Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista(notes) on Sunday afternoon seems like an excellent opportunity to revisit Major League Baseball's unofficial (yet seemingly integral) code of player conduct.

What happened?

One batter after the Blue Jays had piled up a 9-2 lead in the bottom of the fourth inning on a Corey Patterson(notes) home run, Bautista hit an infield pop up on a 3-2 pitch. Right after making contact, Bautista — by far the best hitter in baseball this season — screamed at himself and slammed down his bat in exasperation. No at-bat should be wasted, in his view.

Danks, who was having perhaps the lousiest game in the lousiest season of his career, took exception to the outburst and started yelling at Bautista — who yelled back as he made his way to the dugout. The argument never got too heated, but on the replay notice the umpire lurking, just in case:

Watch an unwritten rule get violated

After the game, Danks went into detail about what he told Bautista:

"I just told him to run the bases," Danks said. "He was out there acting like a clown. He's a good player. He's had a great year and a half, no doubt, he's been one of the best hitters in the league. He was out there acting like he's Babe Ruth or something.

"I've had a pretty [crummy] year to this point but I have pride still," Danks added. "I'm not going to let him sit out there and show me up like that."

Danks might be surprised to learn that Bautista is actually hitting better than Babe Ruth. But, more to his point — is Danks right about Bautista showing him up?

Not surprisingly, the common opinion seems to be that Danks should concern himself with pitching better and worry less about how hitters are responding. Based on the Twitter reaction, the only people defending Danks were (big surprise) White Sox broadcasters Ken Harrelson and Steve Stone.

(Hawk also implied that Bautista was corking his bat, which would be the among the dumber things he's ever said. A) There's no evidence he is. B) There's no evidence it helps you go from mediocre to Ruthian.)

Anyway, Bautista was unapologetic afterward, saying he wasn't here to make Danks feel good. And, to be fair, his intent wasn't to show up Danks in the first; He simply was mad at himself for not putting a good enough swing on the ball. As a result, however, he violated an unwritten rule and DISRESPECTED THE OPPONENT.

To wit, check out what Drew Fairservice wrote at Ghost Runner:

Was John Danks obviously irritated with his own performance, thus lashing out at the One Man Gang? Of course. But that doesn't really "make it okay." If it were any other guy on the team, I have a strong inkling Jose himself would pull the offending player aside for a quick conversation about respecting the opposition.

There's no finer baseball man out there than Drew, who views the sport, in part, through the lens of a Blue Jays fan. If he can see Danks' point, others should as well. I'm sure our comments section will have an informed and respectful discussion about this. (Ahem.)

Jose Bautista might very well be Babe Ruth 3000, but even the Bambino made outs. Therefore, he needs to act like he's been there before and be "OK" (at least outwardly) with not hitting every ball over the fence. Pick your spots.

Besides: Before 2010, Jose Bautista made enough outs to know what it's like to struggle.

And Danks also needs to pitch better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Whose side do you take?

to both their credits, it didn't get as ridiculous as the Alex/Braden thing...both guys said their piece and let it go....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Bautista. He wasn't tying to show up Danks. Danks over reacted.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Unwritten rules aren't worth the paper they aren't written on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Whose side do you take?:
    Posted by fivekatz

Yeah, I agree.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Posted by fivekatz

I have to agree too.I think Danks is just frustrated and getting some anger out. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

IMO Bautista just made himself a target.  Imagine if he did that with Pedro or Beckett on the mound?  

But really, just play the games. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's heat of the moment situation. Compare how this was treated media-wise (didn't really know about this until this thread), then i think about how Manny was crucified by ESPN, Sox writers, national sportswriters, and millions of fans for hitting a tapper to the mound at Tampa Bay and not running out the ball. You think the Tampa pitcher cared if he ran the ball out or not? Nope. Do you think I cared if he ran the ball out, seeing that he was out by 70 feet...nope...This is a non-issue. Manny was criticized for lack of hustle. Bautista was criticized by an opposing pitcher for "showing him up" by not running out a popup, when it's clear he was upset with himself. Then, think about how many players who weren't Manny Ramirez, who have not run out balls many, many times in their careers....Danks is an idiot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Following Danks' reasoning, pitchers shouldn't be able to celebrate big strikeouts either.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You want showing someone up...stand at home plate when you hit a ball 5 miles (Manny often was guilty of that, and so were hundreds of your favorite home run hitters over the years)...once saw Mo Vaughn hit one that was still traveling upward at the Kingdome...I looked back at him after eyeing the ball into the upperdeck...guess where Mo was when it landed??? yup, still in the batter's box...is he showing up the pitcher? Yeah, but you know, it's so common place over the years I don't think it's a big deal anymore.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

JB, great point because Eckersley talks frequently about his finger point and how in his mind, he was just being excited, not trying to show up the hitter, but I can tell you everytime he did it, it was showing up the hitter. Again, you take it for what it is. Papelbon goes double-pump and screams, you got the Detroit closer doing wacky moves on big outs. Pitchers do show up hitters a lot...great point, JB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

On another note Does braden pitch this series against NY. Because im watching that game

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

For me I guess I'd say it depends who the emotion is directed at...If you are directing it towards your teammates it's OK but when it's directed towards the opponent that's a totally different story....generally speaking though, I think there is entirely too much silly "celebrations" going on.........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

danks..... nothing pisses anyone off more than popups/foul outs with the bases loaded... baustista didnt mean anything by it

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

On another note Does braden pitch this series against NY. Because im watching that game
    Posted by redsoxlaxer12

I think hes injured RSlaxer..out for the season..shoulder i believe..

Sections
Shortcuts