Whose to blame for Felix's "dead arm"?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Whose to blame for Felix's

Doubie has thrown 90, 97, 103, 104 and the one game at 113. Thats not an unusual number of pitches to throw a game. If Doubront didnt come into camp out of shape for the 2nd time in 3 years, he might be better off. Thats hardly Farrells fault. I understand he pitched a lot if innings last year and understand that you should usually up young guys innings by 30-40 IP a year and Doubie had about 20 more than that, but this is not on Farrell. If you feel the need to put the blame on someone, then I think you should look at who gave him the authority to throw that many innings last year and more importantly, Doubront for not doing the proper strength and conditioning to last a 6 month season. Farrell is using him like any manager would use him.

Also with Iggy. Sorry, but Drew is the all around better option this year. Iggy still cant break .300OBP in AAA yet. Hes got a little better, sure, but not nearly as good of an option as Drew. If he cant handle that, then he doesnt have the mental makeup to play this game. But I dont think they have destroyed his confidence at all. Hes got more power this year, but still needs more work on his overall offense. If anything, its made him work ever harder and thats a good sign.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Doubie has thrown 90, 97, 103, 104 and the one game at 113. Thats not an unusual number of pitches to throw a game. If Doubront didnt come into camp out of shape for the 2nd time in 3 years, he might be better off. Thats hardly Farrells fault. I understand he pitched a lot if innings last year and understand that you should usually up young guys innings by 30-40 IP a year and Doubie had about 20 more than that, but this is not on Farrell. If you feel the need to put the blame on someone, then I think you should look at who gave him the authority to throw that many innings last year. Farrell is using him like any manager would use him.

Also with Iggy. Sorry, but Drew is the all around better option this year. Iggy still cant break .300OBP in AAA yet. Hes got a little better, sure, but not nearly as good of an option as Drew. If he cant handle that, then he doesnt have the mental makeup to play this game. But I dont think they have destroyed his confidence at all. Hes got more power this year, but still needs more work on his overall offense. If anything, its made him work ever harder and thats a good sign.

Thats something that really grinds my gears with doobie too. It makes you wonder how important it is to him to improve on last year. I think its something that should be considered(coming in out of shape) also in wheather or not to Drop Doobie From the rotation if he continues on the way he's pitched. IF a guy comes in in top shape and shows that he wants to be a better pitcher then im willing to give the guy alot more Time to get things right.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Doubie has thrown 90, 97, 103, 104 and the one game at 113. Thats not an unusual number of pitches to throw a game. If Doubront didnt come into camp out of shape for the 2nd time in 3 years, he might be better off. Thats hardly Farrells fault. I understand he pitched a lot if innings last year and understand that you should usually up young guys innings by 30-40 IP a year and Doubie had about 20 more than that, but this is not on Farrell. If you feel the need to put the blame on someone, then I think you should look at who gave him the authority to throw that many innings last year. Farrell is using him like any manager would use him.

Good post. That one game where Doubront threw 113 pitches -- if throwing eight to 10 more pitches in one game is going give Doubront a dead arm early in the season, even if he is coming off a year where his innings pitched spiked a lot, he's got other issues.

The OP might have a case if Doubront was consistently throwing 115-plus pitches and he came up with a dead arm at midseason. But whatever amount of innings he threw last year, it should not be an issue five starts into the next season. That's ridiculous.

And as for Iggy -- he knew he was going down when Drew was ready, so if that "destroyed" his confidence then he wasn't long for the job in the first place. One slum and he would be toast.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

Thats something that really grinds my gears with doobie too. It makes you wonder how important it is to him to improve on last year. I think its something that should be considered(coming in out of shape) also in wheather or not to Drop Doobie From the rotation if he continues on the way he's pitched. IF a guy comes in in top shape and shows that he wants to be a better pitcher then im willing to give the guy alot more Time to get things right.

When you dont do your off season program to stretch out and strengthen that arm, your going to have issues. Its not just about having a belly and gaining weight. Pitchers, good ones at least, are strict with their off season programs. there in place for a reason. Its a long 6 month season, and when you dont prepare like Doubront, your starting to see the results only one month into the season. These kind of things grind my gears to no end. You get to play baseball at the highest level, MLB. You have an opportunity that only 700-800 guys a year get, and you dont take that serious???

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i guess "resting" strasburg last playoffs didnt help too much either....felix should pitch - and if he starts doing poorly, replace him...simple enough?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to teddybaseball009's comment:

Doubie has thrown 90, 97, 103, 104 and the one game at 113. Thats not an unusual number of pitches to throw a game. If Doubront didnt come into camp out of shape for the 2nd time in 3 years, he might be better off. Thats hardly Farrells fault. I understand he pitched a lot if innings last year and understand that you should usually up young guys innings by 30-40 IP a year and Doubie had about 20 more than that, but this is not on Farrell. If you feel the need to put the blame on someone, then I think you should look at who gave him the authority to throw that many innings last year and more importantly, Doubront for not doing the proper strength and conditioning to last a 6 month season. Farrell is using him like any manager would use him.

You make very valid points about the conditioning and last year not belonging to Farrell. I accept your positions. I do think, based upon what Farrell inherited from Valentine that he should have been and should hereafter be more careful with Felix.

I based by opinion that Iggy's confidence had been hurt on his average after the demotion to 3A. Do you agree that Iggy is the future and should be handled with consideration for his ego?

I think he was well aware that Drew was the SS when he returned and it came as no surprise. If he wants the SS job, hes going to have to earn it. His attitude has been great and he has worked even harder because of it.

Listen, Iggy is a great defender, but coming from cuba he just had raw talent that the sox had to develop. They had to teach him the game so to speak. He didnt even know how to play "pepper" until pedey taught him this past off season. Most 6-9 yr olds know that game, so Although he was gifted with some raw talent, there was still a lot to learn. He was gifted defensively, but not offensively. I admire his work ethic and hope to see him FT at SS next year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

John Farrell I wrote a couple of weeks ago about some hugh decisions Farell has made, or failed to make that have cost ballgames. In this writting I declared that he was not using Carp enough. And, sure enough, when he started using Mike he hit extra base hit after extra base hit. In this same writting I cited the use of Felix for 112 pitches (I think three starts ago) was senseless and to use a legal description it was reckless. Felix threw a whole lot of innings last year. Some 50-75 more than he ever had prior. He came into camp out of shape and then to overuse him was certainly reckless. Now we see the results. I will get snubbed for these comments by those of you who do not understand baseball and tend to think criticism is a lack of support. It is nothing of the kind. Rather, it is an attempt to get better. Farrell has lost four or five games. He has lost it with Iggy by destroying his confidence. This was stupid because Iggy is the future. So I see Ben as the guy who has put this team together for the better--much better and Farrell who is losing more games than he wins--when his input made a difference. Felix has always seemed to me to be on the cusp of greatness or becoming a long term minor leaguer and certainly deserved better than he was given.

Absolute drivel.

dumb, dumb drivel.

Congrats on your useless response. Do you EVER have something of value to add OR are ALL your posts drivel??????

A: They are all useless drivel

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I blame everything on Beckett.

Beckett told Bard to not throw so hard.

Beckett told Doubie to throw harder.

Beckett forced fed chicken to everyone.

Beckett forced beer on every one.

Beckett has voodoo dolls of every current Sox player.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

where are all of beckett's friends on BDC? they were carrying an awful lot of water for him since 2011....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

where are all of beckett's friends on BDC? they were carrying an awful lot of water for him since 2011....

Not me...Im glad hes gone, and more than happy to have Dempster in his place.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

HAHA!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

didn't doubie come in out of shape? he is the weak link to the rotation..but hey what can you do..he's to me the 5th starter...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

good stuff....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Felix threw a whole lot of innings last year. Some 50-75 more than he ever had prior.

His high was 129.1.  He threw 161 last year.  161-129.1=31.2, not 50-75.  And the rule is +30.  So plus 31.2 is almost a negligible difference.   LMK next time you want to use numbers and i will help you out.

Farrell has lost four or five games.

So your position is that we should be 25-4?

He has lost it with Iggy by destroying his confidence.

I'm sorry, when did Farrell become GM?  GM's make the roster decisions, not the manager.

NEXT!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

He got traded. Most people don't talk about him cause he's no longer relevant to the Red Sox. Did you miss the memo? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

It simply amazes me that in a time when Red Sox pitchers are performing, as a whole, as well or even better than anyone could expect, that someone focuses on and singles out the one guy who isn't, and blames that on the manager, who one might expect, would be the one to credit for the aforementioned over-performance. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Felix needs to understand the concept of conditioning...maybe a call to magic johnson is in order?

Sections
Shortcuts