Why all the LOVE for FAT-CAT-BECKETT$ ?? In the last days of THEOS WATCH...........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Why all the LOVE for FAT-CAT-BECKETT$ ?? In the last days of THEOS WATCH...........

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anybody is trying to pin the 2011 collapse solely on Beckett..not even georom.

I'm corecting you. Geo did blame Josh solely. Bill acts like he spread the cancer. Others have been nearly as bad.

OK.  When you replied to my post you said 'you guys', apparently including me in the group of people who pin 2011 solely on Beckett.  I've never done that.  Our entire pitching staff melted down in September, 2011, so one player certainly can't be blamed.

Sorry for lumping you in with Geo.

My apologies.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Why all the LOVE for FAT-CAT-BECKETT$ ?? In the last days of THEOS WATCH...........

The fact that it was a team meltdown is a fact that escapes too many fans.

Lester had ERA in September. Horrible, right? Now let's look deeper at his starts.

5 IP, 1 ER. Yes he should have gone deeper, but it's hardly a bad start.

7 IP, 0 ER. Nuff said.

4 IP, 4 ER. His first bad start.

7 IP, 4 ER. Not a great start but hardly a terrible one. Mediocre to be sure, but he gave the Sox the chance to win.

2.2 IP, 8 ER. His second bad start.

6.0 IP, 2 ER. Good start.

So in six starts, he had three good starts to great starts, one mediocre start and two bad starts, and he gave the Sox the chance to win in four of his six starts.

BUT...

The Sox scored more than three runs in just ONE of his six starts -- the 14-0 win. In the other five starts, the Sox scored 2, 1, 3, 1, 3.

Lester went 1-3 with two ND in September. He could have gone 9 IP, 3 ER in all six starts (3.00 ERA) and his record still would have been 1-3 with 2 ND.

But of course,  it's all about the chicken and beer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Picked most irrelevant debate of 2013 by the entire sports world.  Has anybody even mentioned loving Beckett in the last 4 months?  Has any Red Sox fan even mentioned his name in the past 4 months?  Did I miss something?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Oh!  Wait!  I did see some poor T-Baller wearing an old tattered Beckett jersey at my 6 yr. olds practice the other day.  Poor kid got cut.  :(  I didn't even know a t-baller could get cut????

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Lester had ERA in September. Horrible, right? Now let's look deeper at his starts.

7 IP, 0 ER. Nuff said.

7 IP, 4 ER. Not a great start but hardly a terrible one. Mediocre to be sure, but he gave the Sox the chance to win.

So in six starts, he had three good starts to great starts, one mediocre start and two bad starts, and he gave the Sox the chance to win in four of his six starts.

BUT...

The Sox scored more than three runs in just ONE of his six starts -- the 14-0 win. In the other five starts, the Sox scored 2, 1, 3, 1, 3.

Lester went 1-3 with two ND in September. He could have gone 9 IP, 3 ER in all six starts (3.00 ERA) and his record still would have been 1-3 with 2 ND.

did you notice lester's bloated face and belly? it was pretty much everywhere...hmmm...i wonder why he pitched so poorly? coincidence?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

did you notice lester's bloated face and belly? it was pretty much everywhere...hmmm...i wonder why he pitched so poorly? coincidence?

I doubt bloated faces and poor performance are linked.

There is a long history of great "overweight" pitchers in MLB.

Here's another way to look at 2011:

Team Record/ Run support:

Beckett  20-10  3.27 (26/30 starts the Sox scored 4 or less runs)

Lester   16-15  5.32 (16/31 with 4 or less run support)

Lackey  14-14  6.09  (12/28 with 4 or less run support)

Wake     12-11  6.57 (10/23)

Geo, these aren't just numbers. This is evidence that if anything, the team let Josh down and not vie versa.

Had the team "picked" up Josh in those last 2 games by scoring 7 runs in each game (in light of how poorly they supported him all year, it's not that much to ask, especially when we faced Tommy Hunter 5.45 both games ), nobody would be saying anything bad about Beckett's 2011 season.

The team scored about half as many runs when Josh picthed, and yet he led them to a 20-10 record. Others with nearly twice as many runs scored in support, barely kept us above .500 (42-40). 

The absurdity of this witch hunt is laughable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

Geo, these aren't just numbers. This is evidence that if anything, the team let Josh down and not vie versa.

Had the team "picked" up Josh in those last 2 games by scoring 7 runs in each game (in light of how poorly they supported him all year, it's not that much to ask, especially when we faced Tommy Hunter 5.45 both games ), nobody would be saying anything bad about Beckett's 2011 season.

The team scored about half as many runs when Josh picthed, and yet he led them to a 20-10 record. Others with nearly twice as many runs scored in support, barely kept us above .500 (42-40). 

i didnt realuze that twenty-something Jon Lester had a successful career pitching overweight....

it seems to me like he was out of shape...and Moon, how many backfatspasms does beckett have to have before you think his performance and conditioning are linked? give us a number after you baseball.com reference it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

[QUOTE]

i didnt realuze that twenty-something Jon Lester had a successful career pitching overweight....

it seems to me like he was out of shape...and Moon, how many backfatspasms does beckett have to have before you think his performance and conditioning are linked? give us a number after you baseball.com reference it

Again, Gerome is Spot on !!!!    My gripe with FAT-CAT-BECKETT$ is all about ATTITUDE, CONDITIONING, for the $$$$$$$$$$$ 64MIL..... Pleasze spare me/us !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Here's a more pertinent question. Why all the hate for our World Series Champions?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) He wasn't overweight by any strecth of the definition.

2) Small sample size.

OK, Dr. Geo- you're the expert on the causes of back spasms located in the ankle.

You win!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

As opposed to going off half cocked?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Again, Gerome is Spot on !!!!    My gripe with FAT-CAT-BECKETT$ is all about ATTITUDE, CONDITIONING, for the $$$$$$$$$$$ 64MIL..... Pleasze spare me/us !!!

His "attitude led us to a 20-10 record despite about half the run support.

I wished we had more "attitude" like that in 2011! 

Please, BILL, do spare us!

Francona should have been making everyone eat more chicken and drink more beer.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

7 IP, 0 ER. Nuff said.

BUT...

Now take your head out of the sand and answer the question on what any of that has to do with the fact that the Sox scored three runs or less in five of his six starts in September, including less than three three times.

Lester pitched poorly in just two of six starts 1/3. Take a look at starts of most pitchers, save for a handful of elite. Having 10 bad starts in 30 starts -- 1/3, assuming average run support that would be a 20-10 record -- is about what you can expect from good pitchers. 

Lester did his job in four of six starts in September. The hitters did their job for him just ONCE.

ONCE.

GET IT.

ONCE.

Forget about hitting ther average of 5-plus runs per game. The hitters couldn't even get four runs in five of the starts.

I'll start bashing Beckett and Lester over September the minute you or someone like Bill start acknowledging key parts of the overall picture:

That poor hitting in September was equally to blame.

The bullpen imploding, including Papelbon blowing two saves and Bard falling apart.

That the Sox wouldn't have even been in that position were it not for how Beckett and Lester carried the pitching staff all season, especially after Buchholz got hurt. After Beckett and Lester, it was always a crpshoot after them.

The scapegoating that you and others like Bill do is so simple-minded, you should be embarrassed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Don't trouble Georom with statistics and facts...all he needs to know is "But he is fat, lolz!"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

7 IP, 0 ER. Nuff said.

BUT...

Now take your head out of the sand and answer the question on what any of that has to do with the fact that the Sox scored three runs or less in five of his six starts in September, including less than three three times.

Lester pitched poorly in just two of six starts 1/3. Take a look at starts of most pitchers, save for a handful of elite. Having 10 bad starts in 30 starts -- 1/3, assuming average run support that would be a 20-10 record -- is about what you can expect from good pitchers. 

Lester did his job in four of six starts in September. The hitters did their job for him just ONCE.

ONCE.

GET IT.

ONCE.

Forget about hitting ther average of 5-plus runs per game. The hitters couldn't even get four runs in five of the starts.

I'll start bashing Beckett and Lester over September the minute you or someone like Bill start acknowledging key parts of the overall picture:

The bullpen imploding, including Papelbon blowing two saves and Bard falling apart.

That the Sox wouldn't have even been in that position were it not for how Beckett and Lester carried the pitching staff all season, especially after Buchholz got hurt. After Beckett and Lester, it was always a crpshoot after them.

The scapegoating that you and others like Bill do is so simple-minded, you should be embarrassed.

Key Parts ??  KEY PARTS ?????   For me, that would be OVAAPAID & UNDERPERFORMING !!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

7 IP, 0 ER. Nuff said.

BUT...

ONCE.

GET IT.

ONCE.

Key Parts ??  KEY PARTS ?????   For me, that would be OVAAPAID & UNDERPERFORMING !!!!!

Really, Jon Lester is overpaid?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

7 IP, 0 ER. Nuff said.

BUT...

ONCE.

GET IT.

ONCE.

Bill seems to like simple (simplistic) answers to complex questions. :-)

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

still waiting for geo and/or bill to respond to this post...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This post has been removed.

Someone's getting testy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

7 IP, 0 ER. Nuff said.

BUT...

ONCE.

GET IT.

ONCE.

Bill seems to like simple (simplistic) answers to complex questions. :-)

It is very simple.......  the FAT-CAT lost the knack to win the big games and became a pain in the butt along the way.....  (18days off) and his attitude rubbed off on the entire staff !!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

still waiting for geo and/or bill to respond to this post...

Insert something about baseballreference.com, beer & chicken, and ignore the facts.

I'm not saying I want Beckett back: I love the Dodger trade, but blaming Beckett for 2011 is one the most absurd positions ever held on this board.

Perhaps only Ellsbury made a bigger positive impact on the Sox 2011 season. Becket is clearly second, at worst. On the plus side- not the negative side.

If the Sox scored 5.32 runs a game like they did for Lester, we'd have likely gone 28-2, with the only losses being the last 2 games 6-5 and 6-5.

If the Sox had scored over 6 runs a game like they did for Lackey (6.09) and Wake (6.57), we'd maybe have gone 30-0 in Beckett starts, and geo might be here right now blasting Ben for trading our best pitcher.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It is very simple.......  the FAT-CAT lost the knack to win the big games and became a pain in the butt along the way.....  (18days off) and his attitude rubbed off on the entire staff !!

What staff? Our starting staff stunk beyond Josh and Jon.

If they had followed his footsteps by winning 67% of our games we'd have gone 108-54.

Sections
Shortcuts