Why all the LOVE for FAT-CAT-BECKETT$ ?? In the last days of THEOS WATCH...........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Why all the LOVE for FAT-CAT-BECKETT$ ?? In the last days of THEOS WATCH...........

Here's a good idea: if you really feel you need to blame someone to have it all make sense to you- try blaming the players that actually played poorly most or all of the year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Why all the LOVE for FAT-CAT-BECKETT$ ?? In the last days of THEOS WATCH...........

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Team Record/ Run support:

Beckett  20-10  3.27 (26/30 starts the Sox scored 4 or less runs)

Lester   16-15  5.32 (16/31 with 4 or less run support)

Lackey  14-14  6.09  (12/28 with 4 or less run support)

Wake     12-11  6.57 (10/23)

Geo, these aren't just numbers. This is evidence that if anything, the team let Josh down and not vie versa.

Had the team "picked" up Josh in those last 2 games by scoring 7 runs in each game (in light of how poorly they supported him all year, it's not that much to ask, especially when we faced Tommy Hunter 5.45 both games ), nobody would be saying anything bad about Beckett's 2011 season.

The team scored about half as many runs when Josh picthed, and yet he led them to a 20-10 record. Others with nearly twice as many runs scored in support, barely kept us above .500 (42-40). 

The absurdity of this witch hunt is laughable.

still waiting for geo and/or bill to respond to this post...

Insert something about baseballreference.com, beer & chicken, and ignore the facts.

I'm not saying I want Beckett back: I love the Dodger trade, but blaming Beckett for 2011 is one the most absurd positions ever held on this board.

Perhaps only Ellsbury made a bigger positive impact on the Sox 2011 season. Becket is clearly second, at worst. On the plus side- not the negative side.

If the Sox scored 5.32 runs a game like they did for Lester, we'd have likely gone 28-2, with the only losses being the last 2 games 6-5 and 6-5.

If the Sox had scored over 6 runs a game like they did for Lackey (6.09) and Wake (6.57), we'd maybe have gone 30-0 in Beckett starts, and geo might be here right now blasting Ben for trading our best pitcher.

He'd almost certainly be blasting Ben for something. :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Name the last Sox pitcher who got 3.27 run support per game, but still led his team to a 20-10 record...

Cue: sound of crickets chirping for hours and hours...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

It is very simple.......  the FAT-CAT lost the knack to win the big games and became a pain in the butt along the way.....  (18days off) and his attitude rubbed off on the entire staff !!

What staff? Our starting staff stunk beyond Josh and Jon.

If they had followed his footsteps by winning 67% of our games we'd have gone 108-54.

i bet bill can't even name the rest of the 2011 starting staff after lester and beckett.

i'll give you the hard one: Bucholtz.

now bill, can you name the rest of the starters from the latter part of the 2011 season??

once you do that, look at their stats compared to beckett in 2011.

but of course im wasting my time because you will simply ignore this post and/or ramble about nothing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

It is very simple.......  the FAT-CAT lost the knack to win the big games and became a pain in the butt along the way.....  (18days off) and his attitude rubbed off on the entire staff !!

What staff? Our starting staff stunk beyond Josh and Jon.

If they had followed his footsteps by winning 67% of our games we'd have gone 108-54.

i bet bill can't even name the rest of the 2011 starting staff after lester and beckett.

i'll give you the hard one: Bucholtz.

now bill, can you name the rest of the starters from the latter part of the 2011 season??

once you do that, look at their stats compared to beckett in 2011.

but of course im wasting my time because you will simply ignore this post and/or ramble about nothing

I'll make it easy for him:

Sept numbers...

6 GS Lester 31.2 IP  5.40  1.61 WHIP

5 GS Wake   24.0      5.25  1.42

3 GS Bedard 12.0     5.25   2.00

4 GS Beck    23.0      5.48   1.35

3 GS Weiland 14.2    7.36   1.50

5 GS Lack    23.2      9.13    2.03

2 GS Miller   10.0     11.70   2.50

Looks like a team effort to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Before the team's 1-3 record with Beckett as their starter in September, we went 5-1 in August and 4-1 in July in his starts.  (9-2 before the 1-3, so basically 10-5 his last 15 starts.) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

After all pitching great for almost the whole year, our four big hosses - Beckett, Lester, Papelbon, and Bard - all had individual letdowns in September.  Strange how these things can seem to be contagious.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

After all pitching great for almost the whole year, our four big hosses - Beckett, Lester, Papelbon, and Bard - all had individual letdowns in September.  Strange how these things can seem to be contagious.

Then, the shocking Yankee collapse to allow the Rays to win that game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yes.  But we had 7 head-to-head games with TB that month and won 1 of them (Beckett's win).  We had 7 games with the 69-93 Orioles and won 2 of them.  To say that we brought everything on ourselves might be an understatement.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes.  But we had 7 head-to-head games with TB that month and won 1 of them (Beckett's win).  We had 7 games with the 69-93 Orioles and won 2 of them.  To say that we brought everything on ourselves might be an understatement.

Yes, the TEAM lost. We had countless chances to change the outcome and failed. There were few bright spots in September-- very few, but I am frankly fed up with posters who think they can read who is giving maximum effort and who is not. Some flabby gut guys get a free pass, but other flabby guts or puffy faces are clear evidence of poor attitude and lack of effort.

I am not and have never said Beckett didn't fail at the end of the year, but everything about baseball must be taken in context. It's not a sport where the greatest players play great in every single game that counts.

It was a big collapse, and I understand that some people can't let it go, unless they can assign blame on a precious few. My beef is that they are choosing the exact last or next to last player on the team to blame based on the whole silly beer and chicken issue and a bit of a ponch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I am not and have never said Beckett didn't fail at the end of the year, but everything about baseball must be taken in context. It's not a sport where the greatest players play great in every single game that counts.

It was a big collapse, and I understand that some people can't let it go, unless they can assign blame on a precious few. My beef is that they are choosing the exact last or next to last player on the team to blame based on the whole silly beer and chicken issue and a bit of a ponch.

It's the good old tradition of scapegoating.  It's how some people deal with painful losses like this.  It keeps things nice and simple for them if they can single one person out to blame.  Like Buckner in 1986, even though we had already blown the lead when he made the error.  It's not just confined to baseball either.  Over on the Pats thread a lot of people blame Welker for losing the Super Bowl and AFC Championship the last two years because of two dropped passes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Here's a more pertinent question. Why all the hate for our World Series Champions?

I always find this the most interesting part of the discussion.  Past the obvious, that Geo knows nothing about BB, and Bill knows nothing about the Red Sox, the obvious answer, imo, is that either Geo and Bill either hate the RS, or hate themselves.

Geo is pretty much on record for hating anyone that ever played for the RS, and the FO, so I think it is safe to assume that he hates the RS, and was damaged irreparably by 2004.

And who are the two biggest targets for Bill?  Manny and Beckett, the heros of our 2004 and 2007 WSC.

I think Damon is one of the most annoying, cloying players ever to have left the RS, and I would still cheer his efforts in the historic G7.  Bill and Geo are like this old divorced couple that spent 40 good years together, and are going to spend the rest of their lives having the divorce chew them up inside.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's the good old tradition of scapegoating.  It's how some people deal with painful losses like this.  It keeps things nice and simple for them if they can single one person out to blame.  Like Buckner in 1986, even though we had already blown the lead when he made the error.  It's not just confined to baseball either.  Over on the Pats thread a lot of people blame Welker for losing the Super Bowl and AFC Championship the last two years because of two dropped passes.

Exactly!  Our culture has made the blame game more and more popular.

The thing that gets me is that even if someone wanted to try and blame it all on one guy, Beckett is the last or next to last guy (after Ellsbury) on the 2011 team to place the blame on. That's the absurd part.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

A friend of mine is a Rangers fan and he made fun of me when Boston had that ugly Sept collapse.  This time, I made fun of him for his team blowing a five-game lead with only nine games to go vs. the A's last season.  LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

joey knows so much about baseball that after 2011 he believed beckett would still be with the red sox...can someone tell all bootlickers that the chicken and beer "thing" actually did happen and that the sox traded the main culprit...

and lackey is next....how long do you think its going to take before that ingrate starts making pouty faces after pitching his usual 5 innings of garbage? fortunately the Fenway Fans (you know the ones that actually pay for the games and hiss/boo) will not let up on that clown (like they didnt Beckett)...

that is the beautiful thing about democracy - while the elitist pizz and moan about "scapegoating", the average Joe laughs at statements like lackeys' (after three years of stealing money, driving the team down, and embarrassing his fellow players) and dont forget...

This team is the equivalent of the Ford Pinto...it is destined to explode because of cheap parts....our GM sage took the weakest free agency ever and went nuts signing scrap heap...There were three players avaliable that could have helped the Sox compete - i will let you decide if their names are napoli, gomes, victorino, and S drew...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Here's a more pertinent question. Why all the hate for our World Series Champions?

I always find this the most interesting part of the discussion.  Past the obvious, that Geo knows nothing about BB, and Bill knows nothing about the Red Sox, the obvious answer, imo, is that either Geo and Bill either hate the RS, or hate themselves.

Geo is pretty much on record for hating anyone that ever played for the RS, and the FO, so I think it is safe to assume that he hates the RS, and was damaged irreparably by 2004.

And who are the two biggest targets for Bill?  Manny and Beckett, the heros of our 2004 and 2007 WSC.

I think Damon is one of the most annoying, cloying players ever to have left the RS, and I would still cheer his efforts in the historic G7.  Bill and Geo are like this old divorced couple that spent 40 good years together, and are going to spend the rest of their lives having the divorce chew them up inside.

Good analogy.

Even if these two want to wrongfully forget about the brillian 5 months by Beckett before September of 2011, why are they ignoring this...

Papi having just 1 more Sept RBI than Lowrie (8 to 7)?

Papi with just 2 RBI in the last 12 games (55 PAs)?

Reddick with a .713 OPS and just 2 RBI in 62 Sept PAs?

Lava in the last game: Ground out, K man of 1B & 3B, FO 1 & 2, GO 1 & 3, DP in the 9th with bases loaded? (Left 9 men on base)

Bard going 0-4 with a 10.64 ERA?

Miller 0-2 and 11.70?

Wheeler 0-1 and 10.38?

Lackey 0-2 and 9.13?

Weiland 0-2 and 7.36?

Lester and Wake both over 5.25 and a combined 2-5 (higher WHIP than Josh)?

Papelbon letting up a run or more in 3 of his last 4 appearances (4ER/4.2IP)?

Or, the Sox scoring only...

2 ERS against NYY and Burnett (5.25 ERA).

0 ERs vs Texas and Holland (4.13).

0 ERs vs TOR and a 1-0 loss to Henderson Alvarez. (Then 14 the next day)

2 ERS vs Wade Davis (4.36) and TB.

1 vs Shields and TB (followed by 18 vs TOR).

2 vs Hellickson and TB.

3 vs Niemann & TB.

5 vs van den Hurk & Balt after scoring another 18 runs the night before.

4 vs Tommy Hunter (4.86) & Baltimore.

1 vs Freddy Garcia & the Yanks.

2 vs Burnett (5.16) & the Yanks.

2 ERs vs Tommy Hunter and the O's.

3 ERs vs  Alfredo Simon (4.90) and the O's.

It's easy to find players to blame. I don't get the need to, but if you have to, shouldn't just about the whole team be blamed?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Good analogy.

Even if these two want to wrongfully forget about the brillian 5 months by Beckett before September of 2011, why are they ignoring this...

Lava in the last game: Ground out, K man of 1B & 3B, FO 1 & 2, GO 1 & 3, DP in the 9th with bases loaded? (Left 9 men on base)

Miller 0-2 and 11.70?

Wheeler 0-1 and 10.38?

Lackey 0-2 and 9.13?

Weiland 0-2 and 7.36?

2 vs Hellickson and TB.

3 vs Niemann & TB.

It's easy to find players to blame. I don't get the need to, but if you have to, shouldn't just about the whole team be blamed?

Why then is Beckett gone, Moon? Please give us your reasons. Apparently you believe that 2011 was a successful year for him and certainly not his fault that the team failed. Also, explain why you think damon and beckett are the same type of ball players - champions as you say...I think that those two guys might be as opposite as can be ....one played everyday, made the most out of his talent, and never dogged a play in his career...the other? well, tell us again how they are the same...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Good analogy.

Miller 0-2 and 11.70?

Wheeler 0-1 and 10.38?

Lackey 0-2 and 9.13?

Weiland 0-2 and 7.36?

2 vs Hellickson and TB.

3 vs Niemann & TB.

Why then is Beckett gone, Moon? Please give us your reasons. Apparently you believe that 2011 was a successful year for him and certainly not his fault that the team failed. Also, explain why you think damon and beckett are the same type of ball players - champions as you say...I think that those two guys might be as opposite as can be ....one played everyday, made the most out of his talent, and never dogged a play in his career...the other? well, tell us again how they are the same...

beckett is gone because he had the 3rd biggest contract on the team. CC and A-gon are gone too.. does that mean they both are terrible?? if they are all so terrible then why did LA take on virtually ALL the contract AND give us their top 2 pitching prospects?? it seems that if they are as bad as  you make them out to be that we would still be on the hook for a decent portion of the remaining monies and wouldn't have gotten squat back in terms of prospects..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

beckett is gone because he had the 3rd biggest contract on the team. CC and A-gon are gone too.. does that mean they both are terrible?? if they are all so terrible then why did LA take on virtually ALL the contract AND give us their top 2 pitching prospects?? it seems that if they are as bad as  you make them out to be that we would still be on the hook for a decent portion of the remaining monies and wouldn't have gotten squat back in terms of prospects..

[/QUOTE]

so we got rid of beckett solely for contractual reasons? is that what you are saying?....i thought he was a valuable/key member of the rotation?

so you are saying that he failed to earn his money? could you please specify why his contract had to be jettisoned? its funny that the beaseball.com metric folks become awfully vague when you mention reasons why.....

could it be he was an overpaid jerk? 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ty Ignore button!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why then is Beckett gone, Moon? Please give us your reasons.

Obvious. His contract. His good one year-bad the next. His injury outlook. The great prospects we got in return. The free agents we signed with the cap space freed up by trading him. 

Not becuase of his 2011 season. Probably very  little to do with chicken and beer, but I do not know if that was a huge problem with Ben, or if he blamed Beckett for it.

Apparently you believe that 2011 was a successful year for him and certainly not his fault that the team failed.

He had a tremendous 2011 season! It was spectacular. His team let him down over and over again all year long (just over half the run support as the other starters), and when he finally had 2 bad games in a row of 6 runs each, they failed to watch his back.

I'm not blaming any single player, or even a small group of players. That's your game- not mine. But, I will say that Beckett had the best or second best season out of all Sox players in 2011. It's not about stats or sabermetrics, although those show 2011 to be perhaps his best career year, it's about leading his team to victory in 2 out of every 3 starts. If we had just one other starter do that, we make the playoffs with ease.

It's not even 1% his fault we lost, in fact, his influence was a huge net positive for and on the team. There is no doubt here.

Also, explain why you think damon and beckett are the same type of ball players - champions as you say...I think that those two guys might be as opposite as can be ....one played everyday, made the most out of his talent, and never dogged a play in his career...the other? well, tell us again how they are the same...

You are confusing me with someone else. I did not mention Damon, but I will say that I am glad we did not extend him for 4 years. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

so we got rid of beckett solely for contractual reasons? is that what you are saying?....i thought he was a valuable/key member of the rotation?

so you are saying that he failed to earn his money? could you please specify why his contract had to be jettisoned? its funny that the beaseball.com metric folks become awfully vague when you mention reasons why.....

could it be he was an overpaid jerk? 

[/QUOTE]

pretty much. A-gon was a valuable piece of our team too and we got rid of him solely for contractual reasons.... that whole deal was to free up money. 250 MILLION saved!!

we were handcuffed and unable to sign decent players to fill the gaps. Trading beckett, CC and Agon allowed us to press the reset button and gave us 2 potential ToR pitchers PLUS hanrahan (indirectly). I'd make that trade over and over again. not because CC was a total loss, not because Beckett was inconsistent from year to year, not because A-gon wasn't the power hitter we thought he would be but because it made our future SO much brighter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

moon, thanks for your response but CC was a contract dump, Agon was the price we had to pay to shuffle beckett off ....and i think we mightve been better off with damon somewhere in the outfield instead of the castaways we signed after...he was a great player for the sox and i will always cheer him...unlike some other high priced divas

25. This post has been removed.