Why all the LOVE for FAT-CAT-BECKETT$ ?? In the last days of THEOS WATCH...........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Why all the LOVE for FAT-CAT-BECKETT$ ?? In the last days of THEOS WATCH...........

In response to georom4's comment:

moon, thanks for your response but CC was a contract dump, Agon was the price we had to pay to shuffle beckett off ....and i think we mightve been better off with damon somewhere in the outfield instead of the castaways we signed after...he was a great player for the sox and i will always cheer him...unlike some other high priced divas

AGon was the payoff for dumping CC. 

Beckett was also a partial salary dump. At this point in his career, he was not projected to be worth his pay, but he had been pitching closer to his value than CC. 

My argument is not about Beckett's overall time with Boston: it has certainly been hot and cold. My argument is about blaming him for 2011 while he was having one of his, if not the best season in his career. All over two games. That's absurd.

Now, about his career with Boston. He deserved some respect for what he did in 2007, but he was wearing that out with his even year meltdowns/injuries, and perhaps his clubhouse influence, but for God's sake, look at our staff since 2007. As up and down as Beckett was, he was still one our top 2 starters from 2008-2011, and if we had had 5 Becketts in our rotation, we'd have gone farther than we did with just 1 Beckett.

The whole chicken & beer thing is way overblown. Beer has been a huge part of baseball and the clubhouse for most teams throughout most of MLB history. Nobody is claiming what Beckett and others did by not visually and verbally supporting their teammates during a game was a positive thing, but this isn't little league. These guys are big guys now. I'm not at all convinced that it was even aslight  contributing factor in our collapse. That team had lots of flaws and weak links. One could argue that we played over our heads from May to mid August, and the baseball gods evened things up all at once in September. 

Your certainty that Beckett was at the center of it all, and that as the "ringleader" he helped cause Bard and Papelbon's late inning/late season horror shows, Lackey's consistently horrible starts from day 1 in 2011, Wake, Weiland, and other's poor Septembers, is totally unfounded and speculative. What seems so clear to you is not even close to reality to me.

Even if Beckett did have a poor influence on some of his teammates, I don't relate this to their poor play on the field. They are big boys who have their own responsibilities and choices to make.

Goe, I have responded to all of you "call outs" as best I can, so please respond to this...

Beckett's 2011 season was a spectacular season, whereby all season long he was faced with shockingly way less run support that the other top 4 starters, and yet he led the team to a 20-8 record up to and including his 2 ER win over the Rays on September 16th. Should all of that be chucked out the window over his 2 last starts? Do you really think that a pitcher who led his team to a 20-10 record (that easily could have been 26-4 or 27-3 with just normal run support) can be a net negative influence on his team?

Then, if your answer is an astounding yes to these two questions, you are actually placing him even farther down on the negative influence scale of judgement to the point where he is the number one guy out of all the Sox players you want to target for abuse?

Personally, I think a guy could almsot be doing bong hits or shooting heroin in the clubhouse in front of everybody and still be a positive influence, if he pitched well enough to lead his team to a 27-3 record, but had to settle for 20-10 due to lack of support.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Why all the LOVE for FAT-CAT-BECKETT$ ?? In the last days of THEOS WATCH...........

In response to moonslav59's comment:

moon, thanks for your response but CC was a contract dump, Agon was the price we had to pay to shuffle beckett off ....and i think we mightve been better off with damon somewhere in the outfield instead of the castaways we signed after...he was a great player for the sox and i will always cheer him...unlike some other high priced divas

AGon was the payoff for dumping CC. 

Beckett was also a partial salary dump. At this point in his career, he was not projected to be worth his pay, but he had been pitching closer to his value than CC. 

My argument is not about Beckett's overall time with Boston: it has certainly been hot and cold. My argument is about blaming him for 2011 while he was having one of his, if not the best season in his career. All over two games. That's absurd.

Now, about his career with Boston. He deserved some respect for what he did in 2007, but he was wearing that out with his even year meltdowns/injuries, and perhaps his clubhouse influence, but for God's sake, look at our staff since 2007. As up and down as Beckett was, he was still one our top 2 starters from 2008-2011, and if we had had 5 Becketts in our rotation, we'd have gone farther than we did with just 1 Beckett.

The whole chicken & beer thing is way overblown. Beer has been a huge part of baseball and the clubhouse for most teams throughout most of MLB history. Nobody is claiming what Beckett and others did by not visually and verbally supporting their teammates during a game was a positive thing, but this isn't little league. These guys are big guys now. I'm not at all convinced that it was even aslight  contributing factor in our collapse. That team had lots of flaws and weak links. One could argue that we played over our heads from May to mid August, and the baseball gods evened things up all at once in September. 

Your certainty that Beckett was at the center of it all, and that as the "ringleader" he helped cause Bard and Papelbon's late inning/late season horror shows, Lackey's consistently horrible starts from day 1 in 2011, Wake, Weiland, and other's poor Septembers, is totally unfounded and speculative. What seems so clear to you is not even close to reality to me.

Even if Beckett did have a poor influence on some of his teammates, I don't relate this to their poor play on the field. They are big boys who have their own responsibilities and choices to make.

Goe, I have responded to all of you "call outs" as best I can, so please respond to this...

Beckett's 2011 season was a spectacular season, whereby all season long he was faced with shockingly way less run support that the other top 4 starters, and yet he led the team to a 20-8 record up to and including his 2 ER win over the Rays on September 16th. Should all of that be chucked out the window over his 2 last starts? Do you really think that a pitcher who led his team to a 20-10 record (that easily could have been 26-4 or 27-3 with just normal run support) can be a net negative influence on his team?

Then, if your answer is an astounding yes to these two questions, you are actually placing him even farther down on the negative influence scale of judgement to the point where he is the number one guy out of all the Sox players you want to target for abuse?

Personally, I think a guy could almsot be doing bong hits or shooting heroin in the clubhouse in front of everybody and still be a positive influence, if he pitched well enough to lead his team to a 27-3 record, but had to settle for 20-10 due to lack of support.

Ha!! Imagine those headlines  o.O

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

have no idea why my posts are not being posted 

trying again

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

have no idea why my posts are not being posted 

trying again

I'll wait for your reply to ...

Geo, I have responded to all of you "call outs" as best I can, so please respond to this...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Moon, i did write a nice response earlier but here is the condensed version:

Beckett has a long history of neglecting his team through negative clubhouse behavior - from the days as Marlin....this predated chicken and beer by a decade except back then he was a stud who could sling it 97 mph and it didnt matter...

However his inability to keep weight off and stay in condition has led directly to letting his team down in the past five seasons. His on again off again dominance is proof that  when he wanted to, he could be awesome.....but you cant fix a two cent brain...

in 2010 i saw him snap against the yankees and intentionally throw at players despite putting runners on base and it cost us the game...it was such a stupid reaction that people on this board could not imagine him doing so....needless to say these people now have nothing to say about his behavior in late 2011 which was historically cowardly and despicable....he threw his manager and team under the bus because he was more concerned with partying than keeping weight off and stretching that delicate back...Moon if you think he was awesome in 2011 with his injuries, behavior, and performance when it mattered most, then there is nothing i can say to you - except...

in 2012 his idiocy reached new heights with his total disregard for his team, the moronic golfing "my off day is my off day" nonsense and his gutless start just before being dumped to LAD was the final straw for fans everywhere (except about a half dozen on this board). He is gone because he was a bad guy, and now, an INEFFECTIVE pitcher...

You can't take this guys impact on this team and reduce it to individual starts...that is moronic and you know it....You, Joey, Roy, and Pike (what does that company tell you?) love to try to deflect blame on Beckett by lambasting everyone...this is dishonesty.....Papi, Salty, Pedey, and more than a few pitchers played their hearts out even when the team was skidding....that I can accept....not caring and refusing to take responsibility??? Good riddance...that's why beckett is gone....and that can't ever be unspun...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, i did write a nice response earlier but here is the condensed version:

I missed it.

Beckett has a long history of neglecting his team through negative clubhouse behavior - from the days as Marlin....this predated chicken and beer by a decade except back then he was a stud who could sling it 97 mph and it didnt matter...

You are making broad assumptions.

However his inability to keep weight off and stay in condition has led directly to letting his team down in the past five seasons. His on again off again dominance is proof that  when he wanted to, he could be awesome.....but you cant fix a two cent brain...

More assumptions. It is nor "proof".

As for letting his team down. All good to great pitchers have down years and/or injuries. There is no evidence that his injuries were weight or beer related. As for letting his team down: quite the opposite was true in 2011. They let him down... enough to drive any sane man to drink!

in 2010 i saw him snap against the yankees and intentionally throw at players despite putting runners on base and it cost us the game...it was such a stupid reaction that people on this board could not imagine him doing so....needless to say these people now have nothing to say about his behavior in late 2011 which was historically cowardly and despicable....

And this is your "evidence"?

he threw his manager and team under the bus because he was more concerned with partying than keeping weight off and stretching that dynamite back...

I wasn't aware that back spasms can occur in an ankle.

For God's sake, man! Beer has been in the clubhouse for over a century. It has been a huge part of baseball.

I'm not defending Beckett and others staying in the clubhouse during games, but ti happens all the time and you assume he was the ring-leader. Anyways, I still contend that he could have been doing bong hits in 2011 for all I care, he pitched well enough to go 26-4 with any kind of team support. Tito and his teammates threw him under the bus, if anything.

He pitched perhaps his best seasone ver, and you never even acknowledge that.

Moon if you think he was awesome in 2011 with his injuries, behavior, and performance when it mattered most, then there is nothing i can say to you - except...

Forget the numbers. Watch all 30 of his starts in 2011. You are holding 2 against him, and choosing him, of all the players on the team to place most of the blame on. It is beyong absurd, Geo. Seriously, it is.

in 2012 his idiocy reached new heights with his total disregard for his team, the moronic golfing "my off day is my off day" nonsense and his gutless start just before being dumped to LAD was the final straw for fans everywhere (except about a half dozen on this board). He is gone because he was a bad guy, and now, an INEFFECTIVE pitcher...

Yes, part of the reason he is gone is because he had been inconsistent, and new management seems to believe that clubhouse kumbaya wins more games than a starter pitching well enough to lead his team to a 26-4 record, but that's an argument for another thread. Nobody here is applauding Beckett's team-building skills, but I sure wish some other players on our team could have led us to a 20-10 record with just 3 point something run support. Some his teammates barely got us to .500 with 5-6 run support, but boy their clubhouse attitude struck them off your bash list. This is complete nonsense, Geo. One big reason for the Beckett trade was that LA wanted a starter and a 1Bman, and they didn't want CC's or Punto's contract. You know that was part of the reason, and nobody is saying it was the whole reason. It is a combination of all of the above.

You can't take this guys impact on this team and reduce it to individual starts...that is moronic and you know it....

I don't; but wins are wins, and Beckett pitched great in 2011 by the eye or by the stat. You, on the otherhand, cannot pretend to know exactly how much one person's attitude effects his teammates, and to assume that Beckett's negative influence outweighed the 20-10 record in his starts, and then took it farther under the break even point to a place where you basically are blaming him nearly single-handedly, is worse than any stat nut looking at just numbers. There is absolutely no basis for your theory.

You, Joey, Roy, and Pike (what does that company tell you?) love to try to deflect blame on Beckett by lambasting everyone...this is dishonesty.....

No, I was merely asking you why you singled out just Beckett, when others had played poorly all season long or in September as well. 

I am not ttrying to blame any single person for the collapse. Of all sports, baseball is by far a team sport. No one player wins a ring or loses one. It is you that is playing the blame game, and I just used your methodology to disprove your position. I'm not deflecting anything. The team lost. Period. The team lost despite a fanatstic year by Ellsbury and Beckett and pretty darn good seasons by several other players. It is your obsession with assigning blame on 1 player that is "dishonest" in every sense of the word.

Papi, Salty, Pedey, and more than a few pitchers played their hearts out even when the team was skidding....that I can accept....not caring and refusing to take responsibility??? Good riddance...that's why beckett is gone....and that can't ever be unspun...

You have a heart meter? 

You are right, it is impossible to unspun your spin. 

If you have read some of my posts, I have often said the Dodger trade was the best Sox trade of my lifetime (over 50 years). It's not like I am some big Beckett fan. His up and down seasons and many injuries were frustrating to say the least, just as Ellsbury's and others' injuries are too. I don't pretend to know what injuries were caused by poor player attitude or just bad luck or bad genes, and I do know that nobody knows how attitude effects a team to the good or bad. Some examples...

Watching Lackey's antics after a ball is misplayed just about drove me nuts, but later I hear that he is just mad at himself and his teammates understand and really love him. trust me, they don't lie about this stuff.

Watching Youk go ballistic made many fans think he is a true gritty "teamplayer" who really "cares about winning", when actually, his antics were disturbing and possibly a negative influence on the team. I was happy when Manny finally stepped up, yes the other guy you love to bash for recking team harmony, and gave Youk a chill pill. I heard later, several teammates were happy Manny did that, but of course Manny was all bad for the clubhouse, right?

This isn't about stats. It is about an area that none of us know a Rat's Azz about. Anybody who pretends to know it all is being "dishonest" with himself. It's fine to think it might have caused some negative results, but you totally discount Josh's efforts on the mound, and assume he wasn't giving it all, based on the fact that he went golfing on his day off. That is just plain silly.

Beckett is a fierce competitor. Nobody leads his team to 2 rings like he did, without having some serious stones. He is not a perfect person- nobody is, but I wish we had 5 Beckett's in our roatation since 2008, and we'd have a ring in 2009 and 2011.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

moon i have listed at least five solid examples of beckett's meatheadedness....he has missed so many starts in the past five years..speaking of the ankle, didnt he hurt that getting dressed? LOLOLOL ...yea ok...

you wish you had five becketts? you did - it was in september 2011 when he held court with his starting pitchers that he was paid to mentor - he showed them how to drink beer, neglect conditioning, and refuse to take responsibility for the team...this is why he's gone...i know you find it hard to accept that but he was traded for one reason and one reason only - he was a cancer to the sox team...and you can't unspin that....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon i have listed at least five solid examples of beckett's meatheadedness....he has missed so many starts in the past five years..speaking of the ankle, didnt he hurt that getting dressed? LOLOLOL ...yea ok...

No, he was on the mound, but you said it was a bacck spasm caused by being out of shape and not caring about being fat.

5 examples of meatheadedness. I can give you 20 or more of stallworth performances. You don't understand or care about the good.

you wish you had five becketts? you did - it was in september 2011 when he held court with his starting pitchers that he was paid to mentor - he showed them how to drink beer, neglect conditioning, and refuse to take responsibility for the team...

You are a joke, Geo. These were grown men who had been drinking their whole lives.

I'm beginning to believe what they say about you being a complete sham.

This can't be real.

this is why he's gone...i know you find it hard to accept that but he was traded for one reason and one reason only - he was a cancer to the sox team...and you can't unspin that....

I already said it is impossible to unspin a spin: it does it by itself.

Just let go and watch it unwind.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

No, he was on the mound, but you said it was a bacck spasm caused by being out of shape and not caring about being fat.

5 examples of meatheadedness. I can give you 20 or more of stallworth performances. You don't understand or care about the good.

you wish you had five becketts? you did - it was in september 2011 when he held court with his starting pitchers that he was paid to mentor - he showed them how to drink beer, neglect conditioning, and refuse to take responsibility for the team...

You are a joke, Geo. These were grown men who had been drinking their whole lives.

I'm beginning to believe what they say about you being a complete sham.

This can't be real.

this is why he's gone...i know you find it hard to accept that but he was traded for one reason and one reason only - he was a cancer to the sox team...and you can't unspin that....

I already said it is impossible to unspin a spin: it does it by itself.

Just let go and watch it unwind.

watching you thrash around on the forum without being able to rely on stats is one of the most amusing things I have ever seen on the internet.....I give you a big picture analysis with details and dates about beckett's idiocy and you counter with...you are a joke???? I guess those examples I gave from bhis first year of MLB to the last year of his career dont represent a clear picture to you....

read the Lester story today Moon on WEEI....you are in over your head with me in this discussion...school time begins now

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

watching you thrash around on the forum without being able to rely on stats is one of the most amusing things I have ever seen on the internet.....I give you a big picture analysis with details and dates about beckett's idiocy and you counter with...you are a joke???? I guess those examples I gave from bhis first year of MLB to the last year of his career dont represent a clear picture to you....

You think 5 snipets in time over rides the whole of a career?

Yes, that is a joke. 

I never said the 5 incidents you mentioned never existed or don't matter: they do, but just not anywhere near to the extent you believe they do, and a million miles away from offsetting the rest of beckett's career.

There are thousands and thousands of times player drink beer in the clubhouse during a game, or have come to the park drunk or a little nder the influence. I'm not using the argument that "everyone is doing it, so it's OK", but you are acting like beckett was the first to do it, and had to "teach others" how to drink. That is absurd and you know it. Nobody had to teach lackey or lester or whoever else might have joined them. They mad their own choices. If some players are that suseptable to influence, then their character flaw(s)  is worse than Josh's.

read the Lester story today Moon on WEEI....you are in over your head with me in this discussion...school time begins now

I'm glad you have found your new Beckett based on a silly comment about "respect". Yes, that comment tells us all we need to know about Lester. School is done. The die is cast, and a bunch of other cliches to follow...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm still waiting for you to explain how being out of shape caused the back spasm in his ankle.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

In 2006, trade Beckett for a solid starting AL veteran who would become a FA at the end of 2007 and that team would have won the championship as the Wild Card.

Is this supposed to make sense?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I'm still waiting for you to explain how being out of shape caused the back spasm in his ankle.

he hurt his ankle taking off his shirt in the bullpen and he slipped...it had nothing to do with pitching....the man was too out of shape to lift his shirt over his head and maintain balance....lololol

this is what you have been reduced to?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

he hurt his ankle taking off his shirt in the bullpen and he slipped...it had nothing to do with pitching....the man was too out of shape to lift his shirt over his head and maintain balance....lololol

No, this is just one part of exposing your nonsense.  And, it's a lie:

Beckett, who had pitched 3 2/3 scoreless innings with six strikeouts before the injury, appeared to have caught the foot on the area just in front of the pitching rubber when delivering a pitch...Beckett said he slipped and fell while stepping off a mound in the bullpen before the game, but didn't think that had anything to do with the pain that forced him out.

"I felt it on the second to last pitch and then it felt a little bit different on the last pitch I threw," he said. "I didn't feel it till those last two pitches."

"It felt like it was locked up and then it popped in and out of the socket or something," Beckett added.

I'm also waiting for an answer to the main questions I asked you. I think it's fair to expect a response, since I have actually answered your specific questions. 

1)  Beckett's 2011 season was a spectacular season, whereby all season long he was faced with shockingly way less run support that the other top 4 starters, and yet he led the team to a 20-8 record up to and including his 2 ER win over the Rays on September 16th. Should all of that be chucked out the window over his 2 last starts and eating  beer and chicken on his offdays?

2) Do you really think that a pitcher who led his team to a 20-10 record (that easily could have been 26-4 or 27-3 with just normal run support) can be a net negative influence on his team?

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

No, this is just one part of exposing your nonsense.  And, it's a lie:

Beckett, who had pitched 3 2/3 scoreless innings with six strikeouts before the injury, appeared to have caught the foot on the area just in front of the pitching rubber when delivering a pitch...Beckett said he slipped and fell while stepping off a mound in the bullpen before the game, but didn't think that had anything to do with the pain that forced him out.

"I felt it on the second to last pitch and then it felt a little bit different on the last pitch I threw," he said. "I didn't feel it till those last two pitches."

"It felt like it was locked up and then it popped in and out of the socket or something," Beckett added.

I'm also waiting for an answer to the main questions I asked you. I think it's fair to expect a response, since I have actually answered your specific questions. 

1)  Beckett's 2011 season was a spectacular season, whereby all season long he was faced with shockingly way less run support that the other top 4 starters, and yet he led the team to a 20-8 record up to and including his 2 ER win over the Rays on September 16th. Should all of that be chucked out the window over his 2 last starts and eating  beer and chicken on his offdays?

2) Do you really think that a pitcher who led his team to a 20-10 record (that easily could have been 26-4 or 27-3 with just normal run support) can be a net negative influence on his team?

http://nesn.com/2011/09/josh-beckett-says-he-fell-in-bullpen-earlier-in-day-but-didnt-feel-injury-until-last-two-pitches-of/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Beckett should have been traded at the end of 2007. The year early premature extension, at his age and miles, was incompetent.

Funny, you never called for that trade back then. But, oh how you love revisionist history.

(Yes, you were agisnt the extension from day one, but you kept saying we should have waited until after the 2010 season to decide. Even then, no mention of trading him before or during 2010.)

22. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts