Why Anderson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Why Anderson

What is the thinking on bringing Anderson up and is he still up with the team?  I would have brought another power bat up....Lavarnway or Middlebrooks.  Wouldn't one of those two bats help the team more.  Management baffles me

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Re: Why Anderson

Anderson represents a possible lefty power bat for pinchhitting purposes.If we hope to trade him for something more useful, like a bullpen middle relief arm, it helps to showcase the merchandise a bit.
    Middlebrooks looks great, but a two week hot streak in AAA does not a Mike Schmidt make. Let him keep it up for a month or two, and if Youk is still flailing, we'll see.
    As for Lavarnway, unless or until we move Salty, Ryan needs f/t catching experience and we don't carry 3 catchers. Perhaps we'll trade Saltalamacchia or even demote him to Pawtucket to work on his long, all-or-nothing swing ?
    Lavarnway's service time clock is also a big factor, so don't look for him in big leagues again until end of May, regardless of Salty's situation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Anderson also impressed this Spring, and he's a high OBP guy.  I don't mind this move at all.  Marlon Byrd on the other hand, baffles me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

he's also Larry and John's boy

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

The thinking is, if they force feed us Repko, Dmac, Anderson, etc.... Crawford is going to look like the knight in shining armor when he returns. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Bobby wants Iggy; Ben brings up Spears. Bobby wants Ciriaco; Ben brings up Repko. Bobby wants Middlebrooks; Ben brings up Anderson. Bobby wants Cook; Ben brings up Tazawa.

It's the Ben and Bobby show. A marriage clearly not made in heaven!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Why Anderson:
    [QUOTE]Anderson represents a possible lefty power bat for pinchhitting purposes.If we hope to trade him for something more useful, like a bullpen middle relief arm, it helps to showcase the merchandise a bit. Middlebrooks looks great, but a two week hot streak in AAA does not a Mike Schmidt make. Let him keep it up for a month or two, and if Youk is still flailing, we'll see. As for Lavarnway, unless or until we move Salty, Ryan needs f/t catching experience and we don't carry 3 catchers. Perhaps we'll trade Saltalamacchia or even demote him to Pawtucket to work on his long, all-or-nothing swing ? Lavarnway's service time clock is also a big factor, so don't look for him in big leagues again until end of May, regardless of Salty's situation.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]That's exactly what I thought when I read he had been called up. And he has put up an .850 OPS against righties so far this year in Pawtucket.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Probably to showcase him a bit

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Service time; they don't want to start the clock on Lav/Mid but know Anderson has no future in Boston.  I expect one or both will be up by late May if Salty and Youk don't start to hit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

In Response to Why Anderson:
    [QUOTE]What is the thinking on bringing Anderson up and is he still up with the team?  I would have brought another power bat up....Lavarnway or Middlebrooks.  Wouldn't one of those two bats help the team more.  Management baffles me
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]  There's nothing baffling about this move.  They have a short term need and they filled the need for nothing financially.   If he is ultimately worthless, they can simply DFA him and the Cubs will continue to pick up the tab for his bloated salary.  Lavarnway and Middlebrooks are power bats in the minors as were guys like Anthony Rizzo and Lars Anderson.  Doesn't mean that they can be successful at the big league level.  They know who and what Byrd is.  They have no clue as to what they might have with the prospects.