Why are people so shocked by these free agent signings?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Why are people so shocked by these free agent signings?

Who did Ben sign for the 2012 season or trade for that would make anyone hopeful about his GM ability to field a good squad? meloncon? bailey? Lillibridge? Morteson? Breslow? Punto?

Ross was his sole good move.  His ability to build a team is obvious (look at the record)....

That money he spent on those vet salamies (d ross, shane, gomes) could have easily paid for Hamilton and had enough left over for a fifth year....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Why are people so shocked by these free agent signings?

We had under 100 mil in payroll.  Two outfield spots to fill with the third spot filled by a guy who has missed substantial time 2 of the last. 4 years.  It was that or sign Hamilton and bourne to outrages contracts and/or trade the farm and then everyone would complain about that......yeah so victorino is overpaid but BC is filling out the roster and Not breaking the bank with $ or years

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

hugh, at least you could address the question...why has he done that gives you confidence in his abilities as GM?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like that he doesn't jump the gun and go after the top agents and bankroll the team out the gate.  I think the Shane victorino deal was a little high but I'm going to give BC a chancehere and see what he can do in his real first full year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who did Ben sign for the 2012 season or trade for that would make anyone hopeful about his GM ability to field a good squad? meloncon? bailey? Lillibridge? Morteson? Breslow? Punto?

Ross was his sole good move.  His ability to build a team is obvious (look at the record)....

That money he spent on those vet salamies (d ross, shane, gomes) could have easily paid for Hamilton and had enough left over for a fifth year....

[/QUOTE]

Geo last season was a disaster but you gotta give BC more than 1 yr to judge him. He was left pretty much hand cuffed by the bloated budget Theo left him w/. I'll give him credit for purging the team of some of the bloated deals that he didn't create.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Also he can't go out and pitch, players have to perform.  It's easy to criticize a guy when he brings a guy in and they grossly under perform.  I liked he trades at time, I watitle little skeptical with the bailey trade but we needed a set up man and a closer with bard going to the rotation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Bailey will prove to be a great trade. All-Star closer for a lefty RF. Solid trade. You like like Ross but dislike Mortenson. Without trading Scutaro no Ross. Breslow is better than Albers.  As flr Lillibridge and Stewart, remember Youkilis was a 233 hitter they day he left the Sox he also spent time on the DL, what more do you want for a guy that they need to trade. Punto you are complaining about a utility infielder who was making 2.5 million?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Let's not forgot Sweeney was a solid role player as well, until he made a meat head me that ended his season. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We had under 100 mil in payroll.  Two outfield spots to fill with the third spot filled by a guy who has missed substantial time 2 of the last. 4 years.  It was that or sign Hamilton and bourne to outrages contracts and/or trade the farm and then everyone would complain about that......yeah so victorino is overpaid but BC is filling out the roster and Not breaking the bank with $ or years

[/QUOTE]

Bourn would have been a better signing at less money.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bailey will prove to be a great trade. All-Star closer for a lefty RF. Solid trade. You like like Ross but dislike Mortenson. Without trading Scutaro no Ross. Breslow is better than Albers.  As flr Lillibridge and Stewart, remember Youkilis was a 233 hitter they day he left the Sox he also spent time on the DL, what more do you want for a guy that they need to trade. Punto you are complaining about a utility infielder who was making 2.5 million?

[/QUOTE]

Bailey, a great trade? 3 blown saves in 9 opps. Can't wait to see him in 2013!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bourn would have been a better signing at less money.

[/QUOTE]

I'd bet Bourn gets more money

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bailey, a great trade? 3 blown saves in 9 opps. Can't wait to see him in 2013!

[/QUOTE]

He was an All-Star closer with an injury, you should be excited to see him healthy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Stan17 you're post of "giving BC more than one year" is thoughtful and logical what are you doing on this board?!? What you need to do is say stuff like "No one the Red Sox has ever had in the front office has ever known one thing ever about the game of baseball. Not one thing! I am a middle school gym coach in Quincy and therefore have superior knowledge of the game. If we had a SMART GM he would trade our worst players for another team's best and then sign free agents in their prime, but only if they are "dirt dogs" and we can underpay them. And if we win a WS I will say it was luck." Try something like that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

They're shocked because they don't understand BB.  Napoli and Victorino are nice signings relative to the market.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I agree with anyone who says that the Sox are overpaying for any of their free agent acquisitions...but the trade off they're getting by overpaying is a shorter term commitment and a couple of the better names, at positions of need, on the market this offseason, plus each player is considered a good clubhouse influence.

It is obvious that a big reason for the Sox slide existed in the character of some of their top paid players, there influence infected the entire team and a new chemistry is definitely needed here.

The Sox now need to acquire a pitcher with a Schilling like attitude that will not allow bull from any of the other pitchers to permeate through the pitching staff. Farrell will have something to do with that also, at least I expect as much!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They're shocked because they don't understand BB.  Napoli and Victorino are nice signings relative to the market.

[/QUOTE]

Napoli was a good signing. Victorino his .245/.667 last year and we have him for three years. I do not like that move at all. He is a platoon player now. Besides, signing these guys is unimportant compared to what Cherington does to fortify the SP staff. We are at best a fourth place team as currently constructed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

These posts about the signings are borderline insane.  People really expect that the Sox, who have announced they are looking to the future, are just going to be able to waltz into negotiations, say, "I know you want 4 years, but we will only go 2-3.  Sign.  Now.  Sign the contract."

Seriously?  Is this where you are coming from.  They are overpayed now.  But they are short term contracts that speak to the Sox hope that they will be competitive, via homegrown talent, within the next 2-3 years.  They are asking guys, who SHOULD BE looking for that big contract, to take them to the twilight of their career (guaranteed YEARS), to take a shorter contract for a bit more money, while the Sox worry about the future and not necessarily these guys they just brought in.  And you expect that be done at will, at a minimum price and by demand?

Or is it that you think that signing Greinke and Hamilton would fill the 5 major holes the Sox have?  Hamilton may be good, but he can only play one position at a time.

So which is it you want?  You want the Sox to go out and grab the only two big guys and tie up 2 holes, while 3 more remain?  All that for 45-50 million a year (most likely)?

You want them to sit around and undercut guys in years, while offering the same yearly $ contract as other teams?

What exactly is it you want?  Or is it just to complain?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to HankukSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

These posts about the signings are borderline insane.  People really expect that the Sox, who have announced they are looking to the future, are just going to be able to waltz into negotiations, say, "I know you want 4 years, but we will only go 2-3.  Sign.  Now.  Sign the contract."

Seriously?  Is this where you are coming from.  They are overpayed now.  But they are short term contracts that speak to the Sox hope that they will be competitive, via homegrown talent, within the next 2-3 years.  They are asking guys, who SHOULD BE looking for that big contract, to take them to the twilight of their career (guaranteed YEARS), to take a shorter contract for a bit more money, while the Sox worry about the future and not necessarily these guys they just brought in.  And you expect that be done at will, at a minimum price and by demand?

Or is it that you think that signing Greinke and Hamilton would fill the 5 major holes the Sox have?  Hamilton may be good, but he can only play one position at a time.

So which is it you want?  You want the Sox to go out and grab the only two big guys and tie up 2 holes, while 3 more remain?  All that for 45-50 million a year (most likely)?

You want them to sit around and undercut guys in years, while offering the same yearly $ contract as other teams?

What exactly is it you want?  Or is it just to complain?

[/QUOTE]

The Victorino signing was dumb IMO. I agree with you that we are a few years away from seriously competing again, thanks to Epstein, but I would rather watch guys like Kalish out there in the OF than an aging Shane Victorino.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2011 was more about cleaning up the mess that Theo left behind. You know this, yet you and a few others TRY to use this as amunition in a feeble attempt to bash BC. You dont have to trust him, But At least be fair in your judgement. BV was not his choice and there was a limited payroll. You can try and use 2012 as a measure of his success, but Most of us realize what the situation really was.

If you think Youk or scoot was going to bring back anything of real value, you were fooling yourself. Although Mort has turned out to be pretty good. Youk was/is oft injured and in a steep decline. We werent getting a lot for him. Breslow is a solid LHP in the pen who can get RH and LHH out. Good vet leadership too. Melancon, although started out tough for him, finished the year strong with that outing in Yankee stadium. He came through in a very big pressure situation and shut them down with 1 out and bases loaded, not allowing a run. I liked what I saw from the 3 I just mentioned.

This wont stop those who just dont like BC from finding things to criticize him about though.

If your wary of his GM skills, then that alone is valid. No need to create something that is far worse than it really is. He has more exp than Theo in that hes a scouting and development guy who has held almost every position the last 15 years within the Sox system. He knows everybody in MLB and knows his job better than you and some others would like to believe.

You may not like this teams plan for 2013 AND THE FUTUTRE, and thats ok. Some seem to have short term vision and are only thinking about 2013. For them its not all about 2013 but the future years ahead.

Small contracts for solid ballplayers with good clubhouse presence and leadership. Did they overpay? Of course, but thats the price to pay when your only willing to go 3 years. SV was offered 11M per for 4 years, so that was a 2M per overpay. Fine. Naps wouldve got 10-12M. another overpay to get 3 years. Ross, same thing. Gomes is a cheaper version of Ross. All these players are highly spoken of. Its not about getting the best player on the market (they tried that route already and it blew up in Theos face). Its about getting quality players who play hard and getting this clubhouse culture changed. these guys just signed will be 33-34 when their contacts are up. Im Ok with that. Its not like hamiltion, who will be 37-38 and the end of his deal if he gets his 5-7 years.

I, like everyone here, cant make an honest assessment until the team is assembled. I like the direction its going better than where it was headed the last 3 years. It reminds me of the 2003 off season. Not the "big names", but guys who fit Boston and are good clubhouse guys.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

His worst move was hiring Bobby Valentine, and it's questionable about how much say he had it in.  Ironically, that's a move you were in favor of.  You also say that Ross was his sole good move, a move which was made possible by trading Scutaro, one which triggered your apoplexy.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more Joe

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

His worst move was hiring Bobby Valentine, and it's questionable about how much say he had it in.  Ironically, that's a move you were in favor of.  You also say that Ross was his sole good move, a move which was made possible by trading Scutaro, one which triggered your apoplexy.   

[/QUOTE]

why wasnt JD Drew's retirement a 14 mil saved that signed Ross, another outfielder?

Beyond Dumb...Fox News talking points dumb...congrats

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Wolfpack13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stan17 you're post of "giving BC more than one year" is thoughtful and logical what are you doing on this board?!? What you need to do is say stuff like "No one the Red Sox has ever had in the front office has ever known one thing ever about the game of baseball. Not one thing! I am a middle school gym coach in Quincy and therefore have superior knowledge of the game. If we had a SMART GM he would trade our worst players for another team's best and then sign free agents in their prime, but only if they are "dirt dogs" and we can underpay them. And if we win a WS I will say it was luck." Try something like that.

[/QUOTE]
      In the current vernacular....

WORD!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Wolfpack13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL...well done.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    In my humble opinion, signing Hamilton would have been overpaying for one guy. The Sox are I hope done doing that kind of business. At least, with these 3, one or more has a chance to shine. And as stated, no bank breaking going on. Nor long term signings. Give it a chance before you shred it.