Why are people so shocked by these free agent signings?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Re: Why are people so shocked by these free agent signings?

But I also don't like the Victorino deal. That stunned me the most. But maybe he will produce.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bailey will prove to be a great trade. All-Star closer for a lefty RF. Solid trade. You like like Ross but dislike Mortenson. Without trading Scutaro no Ross. Breslow is better than Albers.  As flr Lillibridge and Stewart, remember Youkilis was a 233 hitter they day he left the Sox he also spent time on the DL, what more do you want for a guy that they need to trade. Punto you are complaining about a utility infielder who was making 2.5 million?

[/QUOTE]

Who said he dislliked Mortenson? Read his comments again. And you wrote that "Bailey will prove to be a great trade". You are making an assumption. So far it was horrible, given what Reddick did and what Bailey did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

if you think mortseson and breslow are key acquisitions to a championship team, you dserve the team you get....they are bit players...we need starters, we need players, not small parts...sadly our GM is only great at parallel, non productive moves

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Who did Ben sign for the 2012 season or trade for that would make anyone hopeful about his GM ability to field a good squad? meloncon? bailey? Lillibridge? Morteson? Breslow? Punto?

Ross was his sole good move.  His ability to build a team is obvious (look at the record)....

That money he spent on those vet salamies (d ross, shane, gomes) could have easily paid for Hamilton and had enough left over for a fifth year....

[/QUOTE]

His worst move was hiring Bobby Valentine, and it's questionable about how much say he had it in.  Ironically, that's a move you were in favor of.  You also say that Ross was his sole good move, a move which was made possible by trading Scutaro, one which triggered your apoplexy.   

[/QUOTE]

why wasnt JD Drew's retirement a 14 mil saved that signed Ross, another outfielder?

Beyond Dumb...Fox News talking points dumb...congrats

[/QUOTE]

AGon's contract increase by the same  amount they saved from JD. No to mention jumps in Ortiz' and Ellsbury's pay. You are the one with the "dumb talking points".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Who did Ben sign for the 2012 season or trade for that would make anyone hopeful about his GM ability to field a good squad? meloncon? bailey? Lillibridge? Morteson? Breslow? Punto?

Ross was his sole good move.  His ability to build a team is obvious (look at the record)....

That money he spent on those vet salamies (d ross, shane, gomes) could have easily paid for Hamilton and had enough left over for a fifth year....

[/QUOTE]

His worst move was hiring Bobby Valentine, and it's questionable about how much say he had it in.  Ironically, that's a move you were in favor of.  You also say that Ross was his sole good move, a move which was made possible by trading Scutaro, one which triggered your apoplexy.   

[/QUOTE]

why wasnt JD Drew's retirement a 14 mil saved that signed Ross, another outfielder?

[/QUOTE]

AGon's contract increase by the same  amount they saved from JD. No to mention jumps in Ortiz' and Ellsbury's pay. You are the one with the "dumb talking points".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

if you think mortseson and breslow are key acquisitions to a championship team, you dserve the team you get....they are bit players...we need starters, we need players, not small parts...sadly our GM is only great at parallel, non productive moves

[/QUOTE]

I never said they are great players but Breslow was an improvement from Albers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what happened to the 16 mil they saved from paps, tek and wake?

congrats, you are now a member of the Fox News team...fair and balanced...for the mindless bootlickers

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im bumpig this because i see about 3 threads attacking posters for being less than thrilled with ben's 13 mil giveaway to retread has beens on the downside of their career...

so once again, please tell me what ben has done to warrant OPTIMISM in his moves based on his history as GM....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Now I remember why I had you on ignore all those years...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

8942 posts of garbage....congrats carnie

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

6414+ posts of whining. Congrats geo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

im bumpig this because i see about 3 threads attacking posters for being less than thrilled with ben's 13 mil giveaway to retread has beens on the downside of their career...

so once again, please tell me what ben has done to warrant OPTIMISM in his moves based on his history as GM....

[/QUOTE]

I would, but you and a few others will not even consider my points, or other posters comments, valid. so it wouldnt be a discussion and not really worth repeating whats already been said....Nothing BC has done will make you happy. That is unless he hires BV back...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would, but you and a few others will not even consider my points, or other posters comments, valid. so it wouldnt be a discussion and not really worth repeating whats already been said....Nothing BC has done will make you happy. That is unless he hires BV back...

[/QUOTE]

yea i am really sad about BV...,especially  after i started a thread in August that stated valentine needs to be fired that had over 200 posts...that is the difference between you,carnie, and me..i have no agenda - i tell it like it is and how it will be...you say nothing and attack others...so once again i ask you, tell me what Cherrington has done since he has been GM that makes you feel good about the team's chances for winning/contending....im waiting

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

congrats, you are now a member of the Fox News team...fair and balanced...for the mindless bootlickers

[/QUOTE]

Before I break down every contract on the Sox they had a higher payroll in 2012 than in 11. To argue that fact is silly even for you. They could sign Kuroda because they were against the tax. To like the signing of Ross you need to like the trade of Scutaro. The Sox have avoided long term contracts by giving more cash. I like that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Before I break down every contract on the Sox they had a higher payroll in 2012 than in 11. To argue that fact is silly even for you. They could sign Kuroda because they were against the tax. To like the signing of Ross you need to like the trade of Scutaro. The Sox have avoided long term contracts by giving more cash. I like that.

[/QUOTE]

Not really. Who was going to give Napoli more than a 3 year contract? Victorino? Those guys really didn't have a lot of suitors. He probably could have gone two years on Victorino and less money on Napoli.

They clearly overspent on these guys. Everyone seems to agree on that. It's not the guys, it's the money spend. They could have easily pocketed $9-12M by not paying as much as they did.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not really. Who was going to give Napoli more than a 3 year contract? Victorino? Those guys really didn't have a lot of suitors. He probably could have gone two years on Victorino and less money on Napoli.

They clearly overspent on these guys. Everyone seems to agree on that. It's not the guys, it's the money spend. They could have easily pocketed $9-12M by not paying as much as they did.

[/QUOTE]

By everyone, you mean you, georom, softlaw and Keith Law?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Okajima was a small part who ended up playing a big role in 2007.  Billy Mueller wasn't exactly an earth shattering pick-up when we got him in his age 32 season but he was a huge part of that 2004 team.  Good teams are built on small numbers of all-stars, home grown talent and a decent number of well picked role players.  I think the hallmark of a good GM is that those role players work out more often than not (and they limit the number of high risk FA signings to preserve flexibility).

Yes, we need starter(s) and we'll have to wait and see what happens in the next month or so on that front.  Clearly they aren't done yet.  But don't discount the value of well chosen role players.  I'd be willing to bet that if you look at every WS champ for the last 20 years, you will find most of them wouldn't have made it there without those role players that worked out better than anyone expected.  Do you also need all-star players? Absolutely, but those other pieces may be just as important.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

who cares if they overspent a few mil?! its not our money and we are nowhere near our spending threshold and they will be off the books in 3 years. they will not prevent us from signing anyone else in this weak FA season and will help create a clubhouse culture rich in work ethic and hard nosed grinding. the perfect environment to bring up the next generation in. they will have those values and good clubhouse culture enstilled in them to maximize their potential

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

When it's said all over, I'd still rather have AGON at 1b 150 games a year and a struggling CC rehabbing in LF over Victorino, Ross, Gomes and Napoli. I'd even rather have Youks at 1b.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When it's said all over, I'd still rather have AGON at 1b 150 games a year and a struggling CC rehabbing in LF over Victorino, Ross, Gomes and Napoli. I'd even rather have Youks at 1b.

[/QUOTE]

cant have only A-gon. it would be A-gon + CC + Beckett - (RDLR + AW). including a maxed payroll with little to NO wiggle room. then instead of looking to sign the loshe's and/or sanchez' of the world our options would be cook 2.0, bringing back dice-k on a 2 year deal or worse (Guthrie)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

looks like more people are realizing what an incompetent cherry is...gomes, victorino, d ross...napoli is at least a decent hitter with pop....meanwhile, crickets on the starting pitching front....

when fanboys have to get fired up over a 37 yr old reliever who was not resigned by his own team, you know we are in a pile of hurt....

good news is it is over for ben after 2013

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

It will be an interesting team that takes the field for the Sox in 2013 to say the least.  One has to hope that they will get at least one worthwhile SP because if they don't...the Sox will reserve the cellar once more in the tough AL East.  Right now there is no team in the AL East that Boston is better than at present...and the signings thus far, though they fill some holes, are nothing short of head scratching for a team with the dollars the Sox had to flesh out the team going into the winter.  SP was available to the Sox for decent dollars but thus far they have chosen to avoid SP like the plague...let's hope there is a blockbuster on the horizon for their SP.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

looks like more people are realizing what an incompetent cherry is...gomes, victorino, d ross...napoli is at least a decent hitter with pop....meanwhile, crickets on the starting pitching front....

when fanboys have to get fired up over a 37 yr old reliever who was not resigned by his own team, you know we are in a pile of hurt....

good news is it is over for ben after 2013

[/QUOTE]

once grienke goes the pitching front will start moving. this is common knowledge at this point....

and who cares that Uehara is 37... the dude can get guys out and is one of the best relievers in the game. period. if anything the fact that he is 37 makes it that much more impressive. also the rangers (his "own" team that failed to resign him) is trying to swing a 4-5 team trade, sign Hamilton, sign grienke and probably a bunch of other moves we don't know about.. can you blame them for not banging a deal out with Uehara?

25. This post has been removed.