Why are Red Sox fans and media so quick to throw their players under the bus?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Why are Red Sox fans and media so quick to throw their players under the bus?

+1

As stated on another thread.................

Some of you guys really do see the forest for the trees.

Many of you did the following:

Ran all over Dice K as he tried to pitch thru pain and he had TJ surgery

Ran all over Lackey as he tried to pitch thru pain and he had TJ surgery. BTW Dr was shocked he could even throw a baseball.

Ran all over Hanrahan as he tried to pitch thru right shoulder pain and he had TJ surgery..

Ran all over Bailey as he tried to pitch thru right shoulder pain and he is out with shoulder surgery

Ran all over KALISH  as he tried to play thru right shoulder pain and he is out with shoulder surgery

You are now running all over Clay and he has right shoulder pain..??????

DO YOU SEE SOME COORELATION IN A FANS ABILITY TO DIAGNOSE A PLAYERS PAIN AND PAIN THRESHOLD.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Why are Red Sox fans and media so quick to throw their players under the bus?

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

It annoys me that when Lester was picthing poorly he was a wuss.

Now it's Clay.

Before it was Lackey.

..and Beckett.

The list goes on.

Ellsbury

Drew

the other Drew

Pedro (YES, THIS WAS DONE...right here on these boards)

Daisuke

Crawford

there is is no end to this list.

You people should be ashamed to call yourselves fans, if every time a player is out you start questioning his manhood, courage and intestinal fortitude.

Yes, players are paid well, yes they are babied. But, that's all of them. You shouldn't be singling out this guy and that guy and saying he's a P***y...espeacially when you know darn well, you would not, could not ever say this to his face. Gotta love public forums, twitter and facebook when you can now hide behind your monitor and call out guys who could easily put most of you on the floor with one punch.... or maybe even less!

I'd make one change with your post -- actually the title. The real title should exclude the words "Red Sox" because this post applies to all teams and fans. In a country of 300 million there are all types.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Instant gratification baby.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Now it's Clay.

Before it was Lackey.

..and Beckett.

The list goes on.

Ellsbury

Drew

the other Drew

Daisuke

Crawford

You people should be ashamed to call yourselves fans, if every time a player is out you start questioning his manhood, courage and intestinal fortitude.

Yes, players are paid well, yes they are babied. But, that's all of them. You shouldn't be singling out this guy and that guy and saying he's a P***y...espeacially when you know darn well, you would not, could not ever say this to his face. Gotta love public forums, twitter and facebook when you can now hide behind your monitor and call out guys who could easily put most of you on the floor with one punch.... or maybe even less!

I'd make one change with your post -- actually the title. The real title should exclude the words "Red Sox" because this post applies to all teams and fans. In a country of 300 million there are all types.

Sorry I disagree. Yes there are fans who do it but not to the degree RS fans do. I have yet to see any Rays player get ruun over as in Boston. I doubt it happens in a lot of other places as well. RS fans an I have been one for a very long time are the worst at doing it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I would not make that change roy.

Although I can appreciate that other teams have their crybabies and cyber-tough guys.

I have never seen a team ( who follows the radio, newspaper and T.V. blowhards like rats following the Pied Piper) with a fanbase that is so easily turned against their heroes as Red Sox fans have become in the modern age.

A month ago many of you ( media included) had Clay winning the Cy Young Award. Everyone loved him when he pitched his no-hitter.

Did we ( back in the pre -internet days ) call out Tony C., Freddy Lynn and Bill Lee when they sat out due to pain, injury or illness?

When Mo Vaughn had an injury was there anyone willing to go face to face and call him a wussy?.....anyone who values his front teeth or jaw, that is?

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

Now it's Clay.

Before it was Lackey.

..and Beckett.

The list goes on.

Ellsbury

Drew

the other Drew

Daisuke

Crawford

Sorry I disagree. Yes there are fans who do it but not to the degree RS fans do. I have yet to see any Rays player get ruun over as in Boston. I doubt it happens in a lot of other places as well. RS fans an I have been one for a very long time are the worst at doing it.

I'll agree some Sox fans can act fickle and foolish but please don't compare Red Sox fans and Rays fans thats silly. Tampa can't even sell out playoff gm's. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Although I can appreciate that other teams have their crybabies and cyber-tough guys.

I have never seen a team ( who follows the radio, newspaper and T.V. blowhards like rats following the Pied Piper) with a fanbase that is so easily turned against their heroes as Red Sox fans have become in the modern age.

A month ago many of you ( media included) had Clay winning the Cy Young Award. Everyone loved him when he pitched his no-hitter.

Did we ( back in the pre -internet days ) call out Tony C., Freddy Lynn and Bill Lee when they sat out due to pain, injury or illness?

When Mo Vaughn had an injury was there anyone willing to go face to face and call him a wussy?.....anyone who values his front teeth or jaw, that is?

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

I wasn't around for Tony C and don't remembe Bill Lee as a player.  As for Fred Lynn, I always remember him being referred to as a cry baby.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Jim ( from what I understand) lives in the Tampa / St.Pete vicinity.

He is not saying anything about the amount of fans or the attendance of fans at the ballpark.

Rather what he is saying is that Rays fans don't turn on their boys and flip-flop on their opinion of how hard players try or don't try,whether they are really hurt or faking it.

He would know better than I , so I won't disagree.

I know a bunch of Yankee fans, and I rarely see this with them. Many of then hated Giambi and A-Rod immediately and love Jeter, forever...very little flip-flopping on who's a winner and who is a loser. I really find this kind of unique in Bandwagon Red Sox Nation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

I wasn't around for Tony C and don't remembe Bill Lee as a player.  As for Fred Lynn, I always remember him being referred to as a cry baby.

Fred Lynn was no crybaby. Whoever told you that was a first class idiot. The guy ruined his career by running into the wall after flyballs too many times. He is the reason why there is padding out there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

He is not saying anything about the amount of fans or the attendance of fans at the ballpark.

Rather what he is saying is that Rays fans don't turn on their boys and flip-flop on their opinion of how hard players try or don't try,whether they are really hurt or faking it.

I know a bunch of Yankee fans, and I rarely see this with them. Many of then hated Giambi and A-Rod immediately and love Jeter, forever...very little flip-flopping on who's a winner and who is a loser. I really find this kind of unique in Bandwagon Red Sox Nation.

A lot of it is similar to "Internet Tough Guy" syndrome.

It's easy to sit at a computer and revile a player for not risking his health and career, knowing full well they'd never do the same, if they were in the player's shoes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

+1,000

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Fred Lynn was no crybaby. Whoever told you that was a first class idiot. The guy ruined his career by running into the wall after flyballs too many times. He is the reason why there is padding out there.

It wasn't one person, it was a fairly commonly held belief, one clearly you disagree with.  But this exactly the point, people back then weren't any different.  When someone was injured a lot he was disparaged for it.  And lynn wasn't the only one who ran into walls a lot, just one who couldn't handle it well and probably should have been more careful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Calling a player adolescent names and challenge their manhood via internet chat forum is rather sad. It goes on a lot here. It does say a lot about ones character.

I lived in the Tampa area for over 20 years before I moved back home. They rays fans there are no where near like they are up here.

It seems like the cool thing to do is bash a player/team and you dont even have to have vaolid proof, just a twitter account and a "source". Things have changed in the media over the last decade.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

It wasn't one person, it was a fairly commonly held belief, one clearly you disagree with.  But this exactly the point, people back then weren't any different.  When someone was injured a lot he was disparaged for it.  And lynn wasn't the only one who ran into walls a lot, just one who couldn't handle it well and probably should have been more careful.

So he could be ragged on for not playing hard enough?

I do agree your point though.

There have always been Sox fans that are never happy.

I think they believe they sound smart when they're always biatching about someone, be it players, management, or the FO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

because:  Northeast.  we bleed baseball.  you want laid back and "passes" for cruddy play?  try any of the southern teams, midwest, west coast.  that's where you can play with zero pressure and thrive.  (there are a billion examples of this). 

up here in teh northeast...tides turn AB to AB. 

it's really quite simple.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

because:  Northeast.  we bleed baseball.  you want laid back and "passes" for cruddy play?  try any of the southern teams, midwest, west coast.  that's where you can play with zero pressure and thrive.  (there are a billion examples of this). 

up here in teh northeast...tides turn AB to AB. 

it's really quite simple.....

True.

But, it IS possible to be a rabid baseball fan, without resorting to character assasination.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Its because we like to get pike stirred up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Not that it takes much

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Hey, quit ragging on Internet tough guys.  It's the one place where I can pretend to be a sheriff.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Not that it takes much

Nearing 15000 posts J.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Not that it takes much

Nearing 15000 posts J.

Screams get a life, doesn't it?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

As someone who lives in the NY area, believe me NY fans are no different or better than Boston fans.....and it comes down to one thing, and that thing is the reason why you think Yankee fans are different.....Championships......once a player helps win a Championship, a large majority of the fans will cut him slack from that point on.....that is Why Jeter, Mariano, Petite, Posada, Oneilll will alwasy be held in High regard by Yankee fans....and all the Met palyers, and the Knick players, get killed regularly.....even though he was on one winner with them, Cano does not get much love with NYY fans......For the Most part Papi and Pedey and guys who were part of 2004 and 2007 have been treated pretty fairly by most Red Sox fans....Beckett and Dice K may be the exception to the rule, but there were many posters here who stood up for them and brought up their roles in the championships....As for your point that people called Lackey and Dice K and Hanrahan Wusses....I dont think that was the case....and definitely nobody is calling Lester a Wuss.....they might be on them for poor performances, but that is what a lot of fans do, in all cities, in all sports....cheering and booing are part of being a fan for many people.....I for one never boo my own team, but I have seen enough Sox fans who do, but I have also seen many Yankee fans boo Joba and Phil Hughes and Cano.....so I wouldnt single out Sox fans

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is tough love. But it serves a purpose. It motivates the more self righteous among us to show their own Internet toughness by calling names, scolding and berating the critical posters. So , it is all good. Everyone gets to do their thing. Everyone wins.   

Stabbed by Foulke.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

As someone who lives in the NY area, believe me NY fans are no different or better than Boston fans.....and it comes down to one thing, and that thing is the reason why you think Yankee fans are different.....Championships......once a player helps win a Championship, a large majority of the fans will cut him slack from that point on.....that is Why Jeter, Mariano, Petite, Posada, Oneilll will alwasy be held in High regard by Yankee fans....and all the Met palyers, and the Knick players, get killed regularly.....even though he was on one winner with them, Cano does not get much love with NYY fans......For the Most part Papi and Pedey and guys who were part of 2004 and 2007 have been treated pretty fairly by most Red Sox fans....Beckett and Dice K may be the exception to the rule, but there were many posters here who stood up for them and brought up their roles in the championships....As for your point that people called Lackey and Dice K and Hanrahan Wusses....I dont think that was the case....and definitely nobody is calling Lester a Wuss.....they might be on them for poor performances, but that is what a lot of fans do, in all cities, in all sports....cheering and booing are part of being a fan for many people.....I for one never boo my own team, but I have seen enough Sox fans who do, but I have also seen many Yankee fans boo Joba and Phil Hughes and Cano.....so I wouldnt single out Sox fans

Well spoken. I have lots of friends who are NY & Philly fans and they are no different than Boston fans. Some fans just make a decision to be positive and some want to be negative.

Sections
Shortcuts