Why are Red Sox fans and media so quick to throw their players under the bus?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Why are Red Sox fans and media so quick to throw their players under the bus?

Why was the OP removed?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

Re: Why are Red Sox fans and media so quick to throw their players under the bus?

I have been coming to this board for years and I was wondering where all of the negitivity was going from.  Then I swicthed from cable to Direct TV and I now get NESN and COMCAST East and I know where it comes from the horrible sports reporters on those two stations.  There is some guy named Fagler who is the ring leader of this idiots.  I got my first taste of this during teh B's playoff games and watched how he and other flip flopped daily beating and thaen lover ceritian players.  Fagler spent 20 minutes beating him Tim Thomas (Who by the way brought a championship to Boston) calling him every name in the book.  Than after one of this guys beattle went to a Paul McCartney concert he spent an hour dissing McCartney calling him the worst Beatle ever what a jerk that guy is. 

If I brought a player to any Boston team I'd give them free internet but block all Boston news/sports outlets and free TV and block those two stations.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Why was the OP removed?

Because the Boston Globe is media? Not only do they throw the players under the bus, but run them over

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Why was the OP removed?

Because the Boston Globe is media? Not only do they throw the players under the bus, run them over

seems the OP is back again

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

It annoys me that when Lester was picthing poorly he was a wuss.

Now it's Clay.

Before it was Lackey.

..and Beckett.

The list goes on.

Ellsbury

Drew

the other Drew

Pedro (YES, THIS WAS DONE...right here on these boards)

Daisuke

Crawford

there is is no end to this list.

You people should be ashamed to call yourselves fans, if every time a player is out you start questioning his manhood, courage and intestinal fortitude.

Yes, players are paid well, yes they are babied. But, that's all of them. You shouldn't be singling out this guy and that guy and saying he's a P***y...espeacially when you know darn well, you would not, could not ever say this to his face. Gotta love public forums, twitter and facebook when you can now hide behind your monitor and call out guys who could easily put most of you on the floor with one punch.... or maybe even less!

I'd make one change with your post -- actually the title. The real title should exclude the words "Red Sox" because this post applies to all teams and fans. In a country of 300 million there are all types.

Sorry I disagree. Yes there are fans who do it but not to the degree RS fans do. I have yet to see any Rays player get ruun over as in Boston. I doubt it happens in a lot of other places as well. RS fans an I have been one for a very long time are the worst at doing it.

Again, I have to disagree -- sort of.

In regard to the Rays, I've listened to the Tampa-based talks shows on the Rays and they've had their fair share of fans ripping a player or the manager. In fact, I laugh when I read Sox fans talk about how great a manager Maddon is when Rays fans have in the past blasted him -- like all fans do to their coach or manager. (The grass is always greener syndrome).

Is the bashing as intense at it is with the Red Sox. Probably not. But in my opinion, the intensity of both good and bad is in proportion to the interest there is in the team. The interest in teams like the Yankees and Red Sox are so much greater than other teams so the intensity of emotions of both good and bad are so much greater.

To illustrate my point simply. If one percent of all fans are like this, and a team has 100,000 fans, then there are 1,000 of this sort of negative fan. But if the team has 1,000,000 fans, then there are 10,000 negative fans, so they'll be making more noise.

At the root of it, human nature is human nature.

So maybe Sox fans are among the worse in this regard but only because there are so much more interest in the team. But it's no worse than other teams where fan interest is equally high and passionate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I would not make that change roy.

Although I can appreciate that other teams have their crybabies and cyber-tough guys.

I have never seen a team ( who follows the radio, newspaper and T.V. blowhards like rats following the Pied Piper) with a fanbase that is so easily turned against their heroes as Red Sox fans have become in the modern age.

A month ago many of you ( media included) had Clay winning the Cy Young Award. Everyone loved him when he pitched his no-hitter.

Did we ( back in the pre -internet days ) call out Tony C., Freddy Lynn and Bill Lee when they sat out due to pain, injury or illness?

When Mo Vaughn had an injury was there anyone willing to go face to face and call him a wussy?.....anyone who values his front teeth or jaw, that is?

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

Z,

In regard to other team currently, I expressed my view in my response to Jim. But in this post of yours, you also compare current situation with the Sox with the way things were with in other eras of Sox history.

So let's look back. Remember -- fans booed Ted Williams. Fans booed Carl Yastrzemski. And this was when they've come to the plate before doing anything good or bad. When was the last time a fan favorite on the level of Williams or Yaz been booed. The only sort of booing I've heard in recent years was after a struggling player struck out or scked on the mound. That's very different than pre-emptive booing.

Beyond that with the media -- as a student of history, the Boston media today is nowhere as tough as it was in the days of Ted Williams. As critical as the media can be, it's always based on real issues, even if you disagree with what's being said. But it's no where near the cheap shots that were taken back in the 40s and 50s.

And as for recent history, I don't know about your, but remember fans and media being critical of Lynn when he held out (Fisk and someone else I believe was part of the holdout).

The big difference today is there are more outlets for fans to express themselves -- message boards, commenting after a story on-line, social media, more call-in shows. Remember, today there are two Boston stations alone -- WEEI and 98.5 -- where fans can call in and btch 24 hours a day. When I grew up in the 1970s, I remember just one show "Calling all Sports" (I forget who hosted it). There might have been others and it began growing more in the 1980s, but it's nowhere near what it's like today.

So even if Sox fans and media are worse than those of other teams, I certainly disagree with the notion that this generation of Sox fans media are worse than previous generations. There simply are more outlets for all of it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

+1

As stated on another thread.................

Some of you guys really do see the forest for the trees.

Many of you did the following:

Ran all over Dice K as he tried to pitch thru pain and he had TJ surgery

Ran all over Lackey as he tried to pitch thru pain and he had TJ surgery. BTW Dr was shocked he could even throw a baseball.

Ran all over Hanrahan as he tried to pitch thru right shoulder pain and he had TJ surgery..

Ran all over Bailey as he tried to pitch thru right shoulder pain and he is out with shoulder surgery

Ran all over KALISH  as he tried to play thru right shoulder pain and he is out with shoulder surgery

You are now running all over Clay and he has right shoulder pain..??????

DO YOU SEE SOME COORELATION IN A FANS ABILITY TO DIAGNOSE A PLAYERS PAIN AND PAIN THRESHOLD.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

Just curious????

How many of these guys knew they had injuries when signing big dollar contracts?

I think it's fair to ask.......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Just asking.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Why was the OP removed?

Because the Boston Globe is media? Not only do they throw the players under the bus, run them over

seems the OP is back again

Seems its gone again, as of 5:54 pm.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

The root is years of frustration. Now you would think after winning a World Series, and then another, that it would have helped, but at this point it may be genetic. 

Me I was actually set for life after the Red Sox came from three games down to run the table on the Yankees. After that everything else was gravy. The World Series was an afterthought. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Exam,

My guess is the word he used *** in to hide the real word. I believe that falls under the rules regarding language. Of course thats just a guess. Thats the only possibility I see.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Just imho, but most of the people that bash different people every night are really, really dim-witted.  Maybe that's what causes them to lash out.  The smarter among us might be at times critical, but there is a certain amount of sophistication to their criticisms.  The more dim-witted seem to think all 25 players stink, while not having to worry about our record.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some posters are critical of a few Sox players or an aspect or two of some of our players, and they wrongly get the "throw players under the bus" label. To me, it's okay to be critical and still be a big fan, but there are certainly several posters who go off the deep end after sometimes the tiniest of sample sized slumps or poor stretches.

Almost no player has been immune to some sort of over-the-top criticism.

On the flip side, there are alos those posters who act like our players can do no wrong. They will defend any and every aspect of every players game to the point where it feels like they are acting like we have the best 40 players in MLB on our roster.

Should we call this riding on top of the bus?

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

To put it bluntly, there are a lot of whiners in Red Sox Nation.  My first year posting on this board was 2007.  I was fascinated by the amount of whining and negativity by the fans of a team that seemed to be doing pretty well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

To put it bluntly, there are a lot of whiners in Red Sox Nation.  My first year posting on this board was 2007.  I was fascinated by the amount of whining and negativity by the fans of a team that seemed to be doing pretty well.

Exactly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think some of the older fans had complaining hard- wired into their brains. Usually, it was light-hearted and directed towards the coaches, managers and GMs, but players were involved often enough. 

I think some of the younger fans got spoilded by 2004 and 2007 and think it should have been easy to win a few more rings recently.

Overall, it seems our society is geared towards "the blame game". Anytime something goes wrong, there is a public witch hunt for naming the guy(s) at fault. Then, there is a need to throw mud at the perceived culprit until they admit they were at fault or are disgraced or humiliated. You see this in politics, sports, the media, education (it's never Johnny's fault), and almost everywhere.

Some people are never satisfied.

Our cult of blame is mostly to blame. (See, there I go...)

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think some of the older fans had complaining hard- wired into their brains. Usually, it was light-hearted and directed towards the coaches, managers and GMs, but players were involved often enough. 

I think some of the younger fans got spoilded by 2004 and 2007 and think it should have been easy to win a few more rings recently.

Overall, it seems our society is geared towards "the blame game". Anytime something goes wrong, there is a public witch hunt for naming the guy(s) at fault. Then, there is a need to throw mud at the perceived culprit until they admit they were at fault or are disgraced or humiliated. You see this in politics, sports, the media, education (it's never Johnny's fault), and almost everywhere.

Some people are never satisfied.

Our cult of blame is mostly to blame. (See, there I go...)

Sox4ever

+1

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Why was the OP removed?

Because ZILLAGOD is like Harry Truman.

Truman was known as "Give 'em Hell Harry", as Truman once said, he never gave anyone hell. He just told the truth and it sounded like hell.

I tell the truth, and to some it sounds like hell. I don't candycoat reality.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

It annoys me that when Lester was picthing poorly he was a wuss.

Now it's Clay.

Before it was Lackey.

..and Beckett.

The list goes on.

Ellsbury

Drew

the other Drew

Pedro (YES, THIS WAS DONE...right here on these boards)

Daisuke

Crawford

there is is no end to this list.

You people should be ashamed to call yourselves fans, if every time a player is out you start questioning his manhood, courage and intestinal fortitude.

Yes, players are paid well, yes they are babied. But, that's all of them. You shouldn't be singling out this guy and that guy and saying he's a P***y...espeacially when you know darn well, you would not, could not ever say this to his face. Gotta love public forums, twitter and facebook when you can now hide behind your monitor and call out guys who could easily put most of you on the floor with one punch.... or maybe even less!

I'd make one change with your post -- actually the title. The real title should exclude the words "Red Sox" because this post applies to all teams and fans. In a country of 300 million there are all types.

Thanks for saving the OP for me/us, Southpaw. 

I agree with Zilla completely.  Have said similar things many times.

You, too, are fairly well on target.  It doesn't bother fans in SD, LA or Tampa Bay that much, cuz they just aren't there.  Now that the LADs are front running, they will pick up front running fans.  Hehe ... Pink hat Dodger Blue???

We're in for a test again tonight and I'm all in for the win.  But even if we slip into 2nd ... HEY, IT'S JULY 25, 2014 .... and we have been top dog for over 60 days.  NO ONE, not even hyper optimistic me, could hve hoped for this great a turn around.  And it is NOT over with this group of gritty guys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Bingo

Sections
Shortcuts