Why are the Sox Winning?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Why are the Sox Winning?

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Let's face it...on paper, the Sox aren't a very imposing team. Yet, here they are, in first place in the rugged AL East.  They have accomplished this despite having an average bullpen...and are being carried primarily by their starting pitching. Here are the team stats: http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/stats/batting/_/name/bos/boston-red-sox

With a traditionally tough West Coast swing ahead of them...what must the Sox management do, if anything, to see to it that the Old Towne Team continues to drive and thrive in the second half of the season? Add a bat? Pitching help? Through help on the farm in Triple A?  

Thoughts?

The team is better than most expected, especially if guys like Gomes keep contributing.  We have depth, chemistry and a solid manager.  What we still lack in my opinion is another solid SP to push us past the top contenders in the regular and PS.  We also won't get by with Bailey or U as our closer all season.

As of this morning our SP is second in the league in ERA at 3.72. The Tigers are first at 3.71. If Buchholtz can get healthy we will have all five of our SP available plus Aceves and Webster available as depth. I would imagine that Workman or Ranaudo could start a game in an emergency as well, and when Morales gets back he is another option. IMO our main weakness is in the bullpen where we rank 11th. Koji cannot close all year; he is too fragile to do that IMO. Thats where the focus should be to bolster the team's chances.

I saw that stat yesterday but our SP won't be all that if we make the PS.  Jon, in my opinion could benefit by losing some weight but has pitched well in previous big games.  Lackey I'm thrilled with at this point and hope it continues.  Clays health is always unpredictable, he has spent way too much time on the DL every year so you never know where he will pick up when he returns.  Dempster and Doub "at best" are both fifth starters with very little control.  Webster? No, not yet and Aceves is always an option but very unpredictable.

Garza would give us the edge over anyone in the PS.  He is a solid number 3/4 who we don't have in Dempster or Doub.  I know we won't but I would still package Doub for a two month rental of a proven "big game" guy like Garza, or try and pull off a sign and trade.  If we really feel Webster is the next real deal which I really question, then trade Doub now and upgrade to Garza before the PS.

Compared to other teams 4 and 5 pitchers, I would think Doubie and Demp are at the top of that list. I also would be willing to bet that a few 2nd tier teams they would be #3.

A rested Buch, Lester heading in the right direction after a couple adjustments, and Lackey throwing like an Ace is plenty to make a PO run. Add in Demp and Douibe along with our depth and we should be fine.

I wouldnt give up Doubie for 2 months of Garza. Plus, the Cubs asking price will be much much more than that. They already said that they are willing to hold off trading Garza until they get what they want.

We have a bigger need in the pen. Our SP ,unless theres another injury, is fine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Let's face it...on paper, the Sox aren't a very imposing team. Yet, here they are, in first place in the rugged AL East.  They have accomplished this despite having an average bullpen...and are being carried primarily by their starting pitching. Here are the team stats: http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/stats/batting/_/name/bos/boston-red-sox

With a traditionally tough West Coast swing ahead of them...what must the Sox management do, if anything, to see to it that the Old Towne Team continues to drive and thrive in the second half of the season? Add a bat? Pitching help? Through help on the farm in Triple A?  

Thoughts?

The team is better than most expected, especially if guys like Gomes keep contributing.  We have depth, chemistry and a solid manager.  What we still lack in my opinion is another solid SP to push us past the top contenders in the regular and PS.  We also won't get by with Bailey or U as our closer all season.

As of this morning our SP is second in the league in ERA at 3.72. The Tigers are first at 3.71. If Buchholtz can get healthy we will have all five of our SP available plus Aceves and Webster available as depth. I would imagine that Workman or Ranaudo could start a game in an emergency as well, and when Morales gets back he is another option. IMO our main weakness is in the bullpen where we rank 11th. Koji cannot close all year; he is too fragile to do that IMO. Thats where the focus should be to bolster the team's chances.

I saw that stat yesterday but our SP won't be all that if we make the PS.  Jon, in my opinion could benefit by losing some weight but has pitched well in previous big games.  Lackey I'm thrilled with at this point and hope it continues.  Clays health is always unpredictable, he has spent way too much time on the DL every year so you never know where he will pick up when he returns.  Dempster and Doub "at best" are both fifth starters with very little control.  Webster? No, not yet and Aceves is always an option but very unpredictable.

Garza would give us the edge over anyone in the PS.  He is a solid number 3/4 who we don't have in Dempster or Doub.  I know we won't but I would still package Doub for a two month rental of a proven "big game" guy like Garza, or try and pull off a sign and trade.  If we really feel Webster is the next real deal which I really question, then trade Doub now and upgrade to Garza before the PS.

Compared to other teams 4 and 5 pitchers, I would think Doubie and Demp are at the top of that list. I also would be willing to bet that a few 2nd tier teams they would be #3.

A rested Buch, Lester heading in the right direction after a couple adjustments, and Lackey throwing like an Ace is plenty to make a PO run. Add in Demp and Douibe along with our depth and we should be fine.

I wouldnt give up Doubie for 2 months of Garza. Plus, the Cubs asking price will be much much more than that. They already said that they are willing to hold off trading Garza until they get what they want.

We have a bigger need in the pen. Our SP ,unless theres another injury, is fine.

Theo has never been very bright with FA's.  He will never get what he wants and Garza will probably end up walking.  Or, Garza will be traded for whatever Theo can get and end up helping one of our competitors.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Chemistry is hard to measure, but the transformation from last year is tangible, in part because o Farrell, in part because of a reportedly better clubhouse.  Neither Bailey nor Middlebrooks griped about demotions and both are working their tails off.  Lackey is all new.  Gomes is growing on us. Iglesias improvement is off the charts.  Ellsbury is verging on 2011, maybe, but this time with lots of SB's.  Ortiz is making his big contract look like a bargain...

RESPONSE: I have to admit that when the Sox re-signed Big Papi at $13mil. per season, I considered it a mistake. It appeared as if Ortiz was slowing down. Boy, was I wrong! He's having an outstanding season...including his pinch hit 2-run homer last night in Anaheim.

Let's also not forget the Sox have played more games than anyone else and against a pretty tough schedule.   If this road trip is 5-4 or better, the Sox will be the team to beat with a short July-September to go, under 70 games.  

RESPONSE: Off to a great start with the win last night! Angel's management and fans must be growing crazy over the lack of production from the hugely overpriced and overpaid duo of Josh Hamilton, and Albert Pujols. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

texaspat,

I find your latest comments, just above, somewhat incompatible with your OP, which basically implies the Sox cannot sustain their winning ways because of a lack of talent. 

My belief is the Sox lack all-star talent, except for Ortiz and Pedroia, but have a lot of capable guys who are almost all contributing to the best offense in MLB.  They have now used eight starters and have gone a full month without their ace Buchholz, whose absence has not been felt that much.  Uehara is the 3d closer to date and seems to be doing fine.  The Sox are on their fourth thirdbaseman and might be bringing back their first one, Middlebrooks, depending.  To be honest, I think the Yankees have been hit much harder by injuries, but still I like the depth of this team.  And the chemistry. 

It is worth noting that Cherington believed or gambled that some of the Sox talent would emerge or re-emerge.  And the list of those guys is long--Iglesias, Ortiz, Ellsbury, Saltalmacchia, Nava, Lackey, Doubront, Lester, Buchholz, Miller, Tazawa, Lavarnway (only a few games, granted, but right now I like him more than Ross), Webster.   And, as good as those guys have been, maybe the key guy re-obtained in the offseason was Farrell, who seems to have done a remarkable job of being loyal and supportive of veterans while at the same time giving rookies opportunities. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

texaspat,

I find your latest comments, just above, somewhat incompatible with your OP, which basically implies the Sox cannot sustain their winning ways because of a lack of talent. 

My belief is the Sox lack all-star talent, except for Ortiz and Pedroia, but have a lot of capable guys who are almost all contributing to the best offense in MLB.  They have now used eight starters and have gone a full month without their ace Buchholz, whose absence has not been felt that much.  Uehara is the 3d closer to date and seems to be doing fine.  The Sox are on their fourth thirdbaseman and might be bringing back their first one, Middlebrooks, depending.  To be honest, I think the Yankees have been hit much harder by injuries, but still I like the depth of this team.  And the chemistry. 

It is worth noting that Cherington believed or gambled that some of the Sox talent would emerge or re-emerge.  And the list of those guys is long--Iglesias, Ortiz, Ellsbury, Saltalmacchia, Nava, Lackey, Doubront, Lester, Buchholz, Miller, Tazawa, Lavarnway (only a few games, granted, but right now I like him more than Ross), Webster.   And, as good as those guys have been, maybe the key guy re-obtained in the offseason was Farrell, who seems to have done a remarkable job of being loyal and supportive of veterans while at the same time giving rookies opportunities. 

I credit the Sox re-surgence primarily to that fabulous trade they made with the Dodgers. Getting rid of the bloated contracts of Beckett, Gonzalez, and Crawford saved their franchise from several years of futility. Plus, the Sox scored two promising pitching prospects, Webster and Rubby DelaRosa, to boot. Thank you, Ben Cherington! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

I can't help but think what this team would be like if Adrian Beltre was still at 3rd. I thought he was going to be our 3B for a long time. Good as this team has been, imagine what his bat would have added to this lineup (not to mention his glove and arm).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

RESPONSE: Agreed. Let Theo find some other suckers to peddle Garza off to. Then, sign him as a free agent for next season...if the price is right.

RESPONSE: Again...agreed. But, the price must be right. That said, assuming that the Sox make it into the post season, they will go no where unless they have a reliable closer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to gibsonsg's comment:

I can't help but think what this team would be like if Adrian Beltre was still at 3rd. I thought he was going to be our 3B for a long time. Good as this team has been, imagine what his bat would have added to this lineup (not to mention his glove and arm).

RESPONSE: Amen. Living in Texas as I do, I get to see a ton of Rangers' games. Beltre is by far their best player. Chalk it up as another mistake in judgment by Theo, that brought the Sox down with a thud, in 2012.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The Sox have continued their winning ways on the West coast, despite having a history of falling on their faces on West coast swings, in the past. Using a combination of timely hitting, and good pitching, the Sox now have the best record in baseball. This is getting almost as exciting as 1975, and 1967. Why haven't I included 2004 and 2007? Because, in those years, the Sox were expected to be good...and to challenge for a WS birth.

Should the Sox trade away some of their best prospects to add a big time hitter or pitcher for the stretch run?   

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Sox have continued their winning ways on the West coast, despite having a history of falling on their faces on West coast swings, in the past. Using a combination of timely hitting, and good pitching, the Sox now have the best record in baseball. This is getting almost as exciting as 1975, and 1967. Why haven't I included 2004 and 2007? Because, in those years, the Sox were expected to be good...and to challenge for a WS birth.

Should the Sox trade away some of their best prospects to add a big time hitter or pitcher for the stretch run?   

No.  Don't need a hitter, the offense is great as is.  An upgrade to the rotation would be far too expensive.  That just leaves bullpen help, and Cherington has already made a move there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Sox are winning on this trip because of the grit shown by ShaVic, Ells, Pedroia, the timely power of Ortiz, the insertion  of Holt at third and Ue closing plus Bailey and Breslow setting up. Not to forget the incredible performances of Wright, Doubie and Lackey.

To me the key will be to find a trade of equal value for lester. BenC needs to find a veteran pitcher to get in return for Lester--EX. Lincecum  or a Masterson, or Big Game James or Guthrie. I realize these are all stretches--but I think it's critical to move Lester.

If they can't trade him, DL him--they have the arms to start in his place. He has a confidence problem and this has been going on for a while. I know I've said it several times, the chicken and beer thing---it's an issue in his head---when he spits out what it is he will be fine.  OR  He needs a change of venue to have it behind him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

consistency and they are getting exactly the production from most players that you expect. A couple are below and a couple above.

However it is the overall consistency in all areas.

Love the Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

The Sox are winning on this trip because of the grit shown by ShaVic, Ells, Pedroia, the timely power of Ortiz, the insertion  of Holt at third and Ue closing plus Bailey and Breslow setting up. Not to forget the incredible performances of Wright, Doubie and Lackey.

To me the key will be to find a trade of equal value for lester. BenC needs to find a veteran pitcher to get in return for Lester--EX. Lincecum  or a Masterson, or Big Game James or Guthrie. I realize these are all stretches--but I think it's critical to move Lester.

If they can't trade him, DL him--they have the arms to start in his place. He has a confidence problem and this has been going on for a while. I know I've said it several times, the chicken and beer thing---it's an issue in his head---when he spits out what it is he will be fine.  OR  He needs a change of venue to have it behind him.

I realize that 29 year old Lester has had a somewhat disappointing year, has a high earned run average (4.60), and has has injury issues. But, he pitched well his last time out against Toronto, and is the rarest of MLB commodities...a decent left-handed starting pitcher. Who could the Sox trade the high salaried Lester to...and for what return? It would have to be to another contending team. Plus...the Sox would surely want to trade him to a NL team...so that they wouldn't have to face him in the play-offs. 

For whatever reason, the Sox are having great difficulties against left-handed pitching. Even Mike Napoli, who was specifically acquired to balance out the Sox line-up against lefties, is having difficulty against them: http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20130602-against-lefties-red-sox-still-cant-get-it-right.ece 

Do you really think that Lester has a confidence problem? I see him as a good #3 or #4 starter, who the Sox tried to pigeon-hole as their ace. The team is fortunate to have a true ace in Clay Buchholtz...and returning him to 100% health would seem to be their top priority.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I never thought Beltre was going to stay.  Reason?  It was a tryout season for him set up by his agent.  If he playwd well, Boras would ask more than what the Sox were willing to pay ....

And he played better than well ....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Thoughts?

Many fine answers so far.

I think the first and best answer is three tiered ...

1)  The stunning trade to LAD

2)  Farrell and the confidence he brought back to the clubhouse and especially the pitchers

3)  Rebuilding the clubhouse along the lines of ball players that love to play (and win) instead of love of self ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Timely hitting + solid starting pitching = winning

As always - 100% correct!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Why are  the Sox winning?

1. Manager who was brought in to bring back the Francona style/clubhouse atmosphere...not the one at the end of his era, but certainly the one that was going well from 04-through-09.

2. Pedroia and Ortiz. Two links to the winning era, who both have played All-Star caliber ball and continue to be leaders on the field. Note I didn't say clubhouse because both did not step up as clubhouse leaders until really this year--injuries to both that kept them from being in the dugout consistently had factors in that too.

3. GM brings in perfect role players who were winning-experienced---Victorino, Gomes, Napoli.

4. Emergence of Iglesias, Nava as regular starting players. Both weren't even considered 2013 roster material coming into this season. Nava had not been impressive and Iglesias could not hit. Now both are playing out of their minds.

5. As geo said--starting pitching--Lester until his recent slump, Buchholz until his injury, Doubront, Dempster, and really the best pitcher on the staff--Lackey have been mostly 6 to 7 innings guys with many outstanding starts to their credit.

6. Uehara. Stepped in and taken over the closer job.

7. GM....he is the General Manager of the Year. He completely changed the atmosphere in the Sox clubhouse, dugout and utilized a blending of old and new to accomplish this.

That's why the Sox are winning.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Ortiz became the Sox spokesman the day of his Marathon rant. That was his "Training Day."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Ortiz up until this season really was a selfish player. He is an alltime clutch guy and certainly a Hall of Famer, but I never really felt he would take responsibility for the team's ups and downs. He did not handle adversity very well. This year, whether it is because the team is back to winning or not, he seems like a leader. Saying the right things, not me-me focused. I felt that when he had his heel issues in '11 and during his contract talks. Now he seems like the leader. The Manny stigma is over for him. Manny used to take the pressure off him, and he has more than proven over the past few seasons that he can take care of himself as a go-to hitter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Why are  the Sox winning?

1. Manager who was brought in to bring back the Francona style/clubhouse atmosphere...not the one at the end of his era, but certainly the one that was going well from 04-through-09.

2. Pedroia and Ortiz. Two links to the winning era, who both have played All-Star caliber ball and continue to be leaders on the field. Note I didn't say clubhouse because both did not step up as clubhouse leaders until really this year--injuries to both that kept them from being in the dugout consistently had factors in that too.

3. GM brings in perfect role players who were winning-experienced---Victorino, Gomes, Napoli.

4. Emergence of Iglesias, Nava as regular starting players. Both weren't even considered 2013 roster material coming into this season. Nava had not been impressive and Iglesias could not hit. Now both are playing out of their minds.

5. As geo said--starting pitching--Lester until his recent slump, Buchholz until his injury, Doubront, Dempster, and really the best pitcher on the staff--Lackey have been mostly 6 to 7 innings guys with many outstanding starts to their credit.

6. Uehara. Stepped in and taken over the closer job.

7. GM....he is the General Manager of the Year. He completely changed the atmosphere in the Sox clubhouse, dugout and utilized a blending of old and new to accomplish this.

That's why the Sox are winning.

As much as I supported Theo, it may be the best thing that the Cubbies got him instead of Ben.  I am extremely impressed with his grasp of what it takes to make this club move forward.  And he doesn't seem to be bothered by an inside fued with Luccino.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

RESPONSE: Amen. Living in Texas as I do, I get to see a ton of Rangers' games. Beltre is by far their best player. Chalk it up as another mistake in judgment by Theo, that brought the Sox down with a thud, in 2012.

I'm not convinced it was a mistake.  Beltre would basically be taking a spot where we have 3 top prospects.  Bogaerts is going to force WMB to 1st, and probably Cecchini to the OF.  Beltre was a great pickup, and an excellent player, but I am not convinced he was vital to us.

Not to mention that JBJ and Swihart were the draft comp for Beltre.  I expect fans to have the same discussion over the next couple of years when JBJ replaces Ellsbury, but that's what the minor leagues are there for.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

The answer is a resounding 

NO !!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

I never thought Beltre was going to stay.  Reaspn?  It was a tryout season for him set up by his agent.  If he playwd well, Boras would ask more than what the Sox were willing to pay ....

And he played better than well ....

A lot of these guys were acquired with a free agency end game in mind.  VMart was never going to be re-signed, Bay was never going to be re-signed, Wagner was never going to be re-signed, OCab was never going to be re-signed, and Beltre was never going to be re-signed.

I assume that we calculated either an A-status or a B-status for all these guys when we acquired them.  That was Theo's strength.  Those guys represent 10 high picks, didn't give up much to acquire them, and except for Beltre, they weren't missed a whole lot.

Sections
Shortcuts