Why are the Sox Winning?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Why are the Sox Winning?

In a word: depth. 

A few stars (Buch Ortiz Pedroia) and a lot of good players (with a lot of good players behind them filling in admirably for guys who have gotten injured).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

In a word: depth. 

A few stars (Buch Ortiz Pedroia) and a lot of good players (with a lot of good players behind them filling in admirably for guys who have gotten injured).

^^ THIS^^

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Outstanding managing at all spots, from pitching to bench.

It's obvious how much respect this entire team has for each other.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

RESPONSE: Amen. Living in Texas as I do, I get to see a ton of Rangers' games. Beltre is by far their best player. Chalk it up as another mistake in judgment by Theo, that brought the Sox down with a thud, in 2012.

I'm not convinced it was a mistake.  Beltre would basically be taking a spot where we have 3 top prospects.  Bogaerts is going to force WMB to 1st, and probably Cecchini to the OF.  Beltre was a great pickup, and an excellent player, but I am not convinced he was vital to us.

RESPONSE: True...but prospects sometimes never pan out...and Beltre is the real deal, both offensively and defensively. He is the Texas Rangers' offense. The Sox have struggled all year against left-handed pitching. Beltre is lethal against both righties and lefties, and is a clutch hitter. The mistake made by Theo which I refer to above was in keeping Youk, and moving him to 3rd base...and letting Beltre go. The far better move would have been to sign Beltre, a natural third baseman, and trade Youk...subsequent to the huge A-Gon trade. 

Not to mention that JBJ and Swihart were the draft comp for Beltre.  I expect fans to have the same discussion over the next couple of years when JBJ replaces Ellsbury, but that's what the minor leagues are there for.

RESPONSE: Let's hope that these prospects pan out. Of course, had the Sox traded Youk, they likely could have received several good prospects in return. But, hindsight is always 20/20.

[/QUOTE]

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I'm not convinced it was a mistake.  Beltre would basically be taking a spot where we have 3 top prospects.  Bogaerts is going to force WMB to 1st, and probably Cecchini to the OF.  Beltre was a great pickup, and an excellent player, but I am not convinced he was vital to us.

RESPONSE: Joe...a couple of things concern me about Bogaerts. First off, he's a SS, and will have to learn to handle third base. Secondly, the kid doesn't seem to play well in cold weather...which he'll have to do in the Northeast, particularly in April, and September: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/29040/bogaerts-continues-to-impress-in-pawtucket

Do you see him as being able to make the transition? Of course, he's very young, and should get stronger over the next 2-3 years.

Not to mention that JBJ and Swihart were the draft comp for Beltre.  I expect fans to have the same discussion over the next couple of years when JBJ replaces Ellsbury, but that's what the minor leagues are there for.

RESPONSE: Jackie Bradley has shown signs of being a good player: http://www.soxprospects.com/players/bradley-jackie.htm Should the Sox resign Salty to big money, with Swihart waiting in the wings?  http://www.soxprospects.com/players/swihart-blake.htm