3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Why are there no Napoli threads?

Because hes threadbare.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to torgorocks' comment:

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

Doesn't anyone see what is going on?   He has to be dropped in the lineup, becuse tinkering with success ALWAYS leads to more success.

Too much is being made of Napoli’s strikeouts.  Yes, he fans a lot.  Is that really any better than grounding out or flying out?  Before you answer, consider this.

Napoli has struck out 145 times.  71 of them have been with no one on base.  So, almost 50% of the time, there was no chance for any sort of productive out.  The 71 K are in 203 plate appearances, or 35% of his plate appearances.

The ultimate productive out would be a sacrifice fly, possible only with a runner on third and less than two out.  Napoli has 8 strikeouts in 33 plate appearances in these instances.  (Yes, small sample size.  But hey, it is what it is.)  So a guy who has struck out over 33% of the time on the season strikes out less often (24%) in situations that require contact.  And while he has only produced one sacrifice fly in those instances, he does have 27RBI in those circumstances and an OPS of 1.053, including 3 HR and 5 XBH out of 9 hits.  He does get the bat on the ball better when the situation calls for it.

With a runner on third and two outs, Napoli struck out 12 times in 30 plate appearances, or 40% of the time.  But again, there was no chance for a productive out anyway.  In fact, with 2 outs, and men on base, Napoli has struck out 29 times in 91 PA, or 32% of the time.  Add his totals with the times no one was on base, and that accounts for almost 70% of his strikeouts coming when there was no chance for a productive out anyway.  No sac fly.  No moving the runner over. 

I know if you put the ball in play, there Is a chance for an error, which should not be ignored.  Of course, there is also a chance for a GIDP, which should also not be ignored.  Napoli has come up with a runner on first base 157 times this year and struck out 51 times, for 32%.  While not good, it also means 32% there was no chance of a GIDP.   I would say there would have been a lot more GIDPs in that selection than errors had he put all those balls in play, since the DP is the much more common defensive occurrence.   And since Napoli has put the ball on the ground 37% of the time, he might have gotten 13 or so hits in there.  But he also would potentially grounded into a DP the other 45 times.  ( know no one GIDP’s 45 times in 100+ games, but these are the situations for it.  And part of the reason no one does is that hitters strikeout, which I am eliminating to show a point.)

The reason he Ks so much is because he takes a lot of pitches.  This gives the added benfit of the BB.  I will take a guy who strikes out a lot and walks a lot over a guy who strikes out a lot and does not.  But I guess a lot of Sox fans feel that this is not important given their feeling towards Napoli and admiration of Middlebrooks…

I thought it was impossible to spit-shine sh*t, but you proved me wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Mythbusters had an episode where they polished crap. Actually, it came out pretty shiny. Myth BUSTED.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

notin knows his stuff.

It's not spit: it's liquid gold.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Because hes threadbare.

Agreed... Just hit him lower or better, just platoon him!...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because hes threadbare.

Agreed... Just hit him lower or better, just platoon him!...

[/QUOTE]
    Nothing that a dominican doctor couldn't cure? Heck ! If he fooled them for maybe another year? What does he have to lose at this stage....He's not going into the hall of shame...  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Doesn't anyone see what is going on?   He has to be dropped in the lineup, becuse tinkering with success ALWAYS leads to more success.

Too much is being made of Napoli’s strikeouts.  Yes, he fans a lot.  Is that really any better than grounding out or flying out?  Before you answer, consider this.

Napoli has struck out 145 times.  71 of them have been with no one on base.  So, almost 50% of the time, there was no chance for any sort of productive out.  The 71 K are in 203 plate appearances, or 35% of his plate appearances.

The ultimate productive out would be a sacrifice fly, possible only with a runner on third and less than two out.  Napoli has 8 strikeouts in 33 plate appearances in these instances.  (Yes, small sample size.  But hey, it is what it is.)  So a guy who has struck out over 33% of the time on the season strikes out less often (24%) in situations that require contact.  And while he has only produced one sacrifice fly in those instances, he does have 27RBI in those circumstances and an OPS of 1.053, including 3 HR and 5 XBH out of 9 hits.  He does get the bat on the ball better when the situation calls for it.

With a runner on third and two outs, Napoli struck out 12 times in 30 plate appearances, or 40% of the time.  But again, there was no chance for a productive out anyway.  In fact, with 2 outs, and men on base, Napoli has struck out 29 times in 91 PA, or 32% of the time.  Add his totals with the times no one was on base, and that accounts for almost 70% of his strikeouts coming when there was no chance for a productive out anyway.  No sac fly.  No moving the runner over. 

I know if you put the ball in play, there Is a chance for an error, which should not be ignored.  Of course, there is also a chance for a GIDP, which should also not be ignored.  Napoli has come up with a runner on first base 157 times this year and struck out 51 times, for 32%.  While not good, it also means 32% there was no chance of a GIDP.   I would say there would have been a lot more GIDPs in that selection than errors had he put all those balls in play, since the DP is the much more common defensive occurrence.   And since Napoli has put the ball on the ground 37% of the time, he might have gotten 13 or so hits in there.  But he also would potentially grounded into a DP the other 45 times.  ( know no one GIDP’s 45 times in 100+ games, but these are the situations for it.  And part of the reason no one does is that hitters strikeout, which I am eliminating to show a point.)

The reason he Ks so much is because he takes a lot of pitches.  This gives the added benfit of the BB.  I will take a guy who strikes out a lot and walks a lot over a guy who strikes out a lot and does not.  But I guess a lot of Sox fans feel that this is not important given their feeling towards Napoli and admiration of Middlebrooks…

Hello!!! earth ??? Putting the ball in play is waaaaaaaaaaaay better the striking out? It does give you a chance? Hope you never coached.....Maybe you didn't mean to say that? I hope.....???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Oh Mike!

Oh Noooooo You DIH- ENT!!!!

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Whats up notin? Nap has a big hit tonight, hopefully he can start hitting lefties again.  The real question is while Mike and Johnny continue to struggle with lefties is, why Snyder and Holt are still here?  Defense?

Bring in Middy and Bogy, Will has all the motivation in the world to prove he deserves his job back and Bogy could be the spark "Ells" gave us in 2007.  Lets make a very exciting season even more exciting because they couldn't do much worse.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

If there were a Napoli thread it would be linked to the art of whiffing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox RBI Leaders (after 6 innings of tonight's game):

Ortiz   74  (415 PAs/225 with men on base/132 RISP)

Pede   68  (527 PAs/266 with men on base/165 RISP)

Naps   67  (443 PAs/235 with men on base/155 RISP)

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox4ever

moon,

With all do respect I can't believe you are trying to build up Nap.  Mike is here to hit lefties and and has failed miserably all season along with Gomes.  Mike has one big hit tonight against a RHP and all of a sudden he's valuable?  Mike's best RBI streak was before David even stepped in the batters box this season.

Meanwhile, Holt and Snyder are hitting like little league players while Bogy and Middy are smacking lefties around and as good or better defensively so whats wrong with this picture? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Sox4ever

moon,

With all do respect I can't believe you are trying to build up Nap.  Mike is here to hit lefties and and has failed miserably all season along with Gomes.  Mike has one big hit tonight against a RHP and all of a sudden he's valuable?  Mike's best RBI streak was before David even stepped in the batters box this season.

Meanwhile, Holt and Snyder are hitting like little league players while Bogy and Middy are smacking lefties around and as good or better defensively so whats wrong with this picture? 

You are reading things I did not write, and besides, Naps does not have 67 RBIs tonight.

Speaking of smacking lefties around:

Snyder has a .964 OPS vs lefties. I hope Boggy and Middy can beat that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Bump. Three more K's for KNap today. Time for him to grab some pine. For a long long time. His act is pathetic.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

Hitler wasnt such a bad guy he loved his dog  ok he was a meany he was sour grapes. For the love of god the man should not be  near the bat rack. HE STINKS.

steve bosox since 46 semper fi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

OK, Carp is 4 for his last 22.

Good luck!

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

OK, Carp is 4 for his last 22.

Good luck!

Sox4ever

Got a better suggestion?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is stubbornness in the extreme to say that the strikeouts are not a problem.  They are a problem. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It is stubbornness in the extreme to say that the strikeouts are not a problem.  They are a problem. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

when you look at the rest of his stats they aren't. Hes a big part of this lineup...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

when you look at the rest of his stats they aren't. Hes a big part of this lineup...

He is a big HOOOOOOOOOOOLE in the lineup. He has sucked for a long time. Its time to address the Mike Napoli problem

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

He is a big HOOOOOOOOOOOLE in the lineup. He has sucked for a long time. Its time to address the Mike Napoli problem

[/QUOTE]

3rd on the team in RBIs, 3rd in BBs, T-5th in OPS, 1st in P/PA (1st in mlb too), 3rd in runs scored. The numbers disagree PG. he is a big part of our lineup.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why we are complaining about him?  He moved down in the line up which that is all matter to us!!

Remember Boston had alot of strikeout guys especially the 2004 world series and 2007 world series championship teams.  Remember Bellhorn striking out so many times, and still he made a couple big time homeruns helping Boston to win few games.  Also that 2004 teams struck out at least 50 times more than the opponents in the entire season.  Then the 2007 teams had Varitek, Drew, Youkils, Manny, and Papi all struck out over 90 to over 100 times. Still both of these teams won the title.

As long Napoli can try to make a couple key big time hits in every post season series like Belhorn, and that is all we care about.

Sections
Shortcuts