Why are these guys hitting so well?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Why are these guys hitting so well?

In response to moonslav59's comment:

You really don't think Iggy would have outperformed Drew in the games he was in AAA or on the bench?

Yes, we have no way of knowing, but what does your gut say?

Is there any move Ben made that you can find even the tiniest sliver of criticism?

Sox4ever

I think Ben's done a great job so far.  I was very supportive of his moves last winter i.e. gave away no draft picks when signing FAs, gave away no prospects in trade, added a good group of solid pros.....maybe overpaid in money to shorten some contract lengths but he had budget to spend on something.  I always thought the Sox didn't have to give up on 2013, and thought he got it just right by trying to find a way to compete in 2013 without compromising the future.  

Since the roster was build in the winter I've thought the Sox have had a decent chance to get into the playoffs and if Lester/Buchholz were in top form we'd have a good chance to win it all.

But today, I think it's a massive dilemma for Ben.....Lester unpredictable, Buchholz' health a huge red flag...yet we're in first place.  Do we mortgage a fair bit of our future to try to win now by adding a Lee, for example, to our well-constructed, professional, efficient, succeeding team?

I say no, at least not today....to me, we're not close enough to bet the farm.  If Lester and Buchholz are healthy and producing in late July I'd go for it, but not today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Napoli has been a huge plus.

2013 OPS

Napoli       .786

Scutaro    .789

Lowrie      .802

Gardner    .804

Nava         .813

How many RBIs do those guys have?

Napoli has been a huge plus to this team, IMO, but if you want to call him just a marginal plus, I won't argue.

Yes, I was expecting a better OPS, especially the OBP part, but that may come this second half.

[/QU
                                    RBIs are often a product of opportunities.            How many RBIs do those guys have?                                                                                                                 Two of your posts today regarding the importance of RBIs.  Napoli has surely had more opportunities for RBI s than the others.  How many would they have if they had his opportunities ?  How many would he have if he had their's ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There are things I have not thought were smart moves. Some I was wrong some I was more right.

Can you name a few? Just curious.

How ever I will never make a statement of fact based upon suppositions or probability.

I don't either, but I will admit that sometimes I state my opinions in a way that sounds like I am stating a factual position.

Nor will I beat a dead horse like many here do when they think they had a better answer or what the RS did 6 months ago is not working now.

But, I think you are verging on beating a dead horse about how nearly everything Ben has done is gold. 

Just as nobody can say for sure that we'd be better with so and so instead of so and so, one can not also say we'd be worse. It seems you are hinting that this is the case.

I go by the current state not what I think could have been. The past is the past as BB says it is what it is.

Yes, but your original post was based on how Ben's off season moves (correct me if I'm wrong assuming this) were a major cause for our success and increased offense in particular. 

BTW I do not think Iggy would have been better than Drew over that time based upon his numbers of PROBABILITY at the time he was sent down.

Iggy had great numbers when they sent him down. Yes, it was a small sample size, but it's not like Drew has been lighting the world on fire.

However Based upon what he has done anyone and every one can say he would have been.

BUT IT DOES NOT MEAN A BETTER TEAM OR RECORD.

Of course not, but if we can assume he'd have done better, the chances are we might have a win or two more. But nothing is for sure in baseball.

Look, I get your point about posters crying over what could have been. Some of my posts have been like that to some extent. Overall, I have said I am happy with what Ben has done since he gained more control of the team. I think that was the Dodger trade and shipping Shoppach out of town.

If you want to judge Ben solely on the changes he has made, then maybe it's fair to compare the team of 2011 to the team of now, the farm of 2011 and the farm of now, and the budget forecast of 2011 and of now.

Budget: Easily, Ben has shown to be a huge plus in this area. While AGon was and will likely be a very good to great player over the next 5 years, his contract was not a "great deal", so losing him could be viewed as a wash, even with nothing in return. The loss of CC and Beckett was borderline genius or thief.

Farm: The addition of Webster and de la Rosa really boosted our farm pitching outlook. It's too early to judge his draft picks.

The roster:

2011                        2013

C      Salty/VTek         <    Salty/Ross/Lava

1B     AGon                  >     Napoli/Carp  (But the contract cost makes Naps a good deal)

2B    Pedey                 =     Pedey

SS   Scutaro/Lowrie =    Drew/Iggy (But Scoot is done as a SS today)

3B   Youkilis               >    Midd/Iggy/Snyder (But the Youk of today is worse)

LF   Craw/DMac         <    Gomes/Nava/Carp

CF   Ellsbury              =    Ellsbury

RF  JD Drew/Redd    <    Victorino/Nava

DH  Ortiz                    =    Ortiz

SP  Buch/Lest/Lack =   Buch/Lest/Lack

SP  Beckett               >   Dempster (But it was right to dump Beck, and Demp is better now)

SP  Wake                   <   Doubront

SP Dice/Bedard/Weiland ??  Webster/Aceves/Morales

CL Paps                     >  Bailey/Hanrahan

RP Bard                      < Uehara

RP Albers                  < Tazawa

RP Wheeler               < Breslow

RP Aceves/Miller     = Aceves/Miller

RP Jenks/Atch          ? Mort/Wilson

While many of the arrows are pointing to 2011 being better, nobody here would rather have today's...

Beckett over today's Dempster or today's Youkilis over Iggy..

Ben has done an overall good job, but we need more time to let his plan be known and judged fairly

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

RBIs are often a product of opportunities.            

Two of your posts today regarding the importance of RBIs. 

Napoli has surely had more opportunities for RBI s than the others. 

How many would they have if they had his opportunities ? 

How many would he have if he had their's ? 

Lot's of questions here. 

While I have often stated that RBIs are a product of oipportunity, that is not the whole picture. While hitting with men on is not an easiuly sustainable feat, it doesn't make it useless as a stat.

Napoli has had some huge hits for this team, as I'm sure some of the guys listed have as well.

I will say this about this year's Napoli numbers:

His overall numbers are .262/.345/.441/.786

High leverage numbers: .263/.333/.491/.825

Men on base: .270/.370/.468/.838

RISP: .255/.351/.439/.790

2 outs & RISP: .263/.404/.395/.799

I'm not going to look up all those other players listed, but my guess is that none of them have much more (if more at all) RBIs per opportunity than Napoli.

Napoli had 165 PAs and 141 ABs with men on base: he has 50 RBI in those cases. He has 98 ABs with RISP and 45 RBIs in those cases.

The one guy I looked up: Jed Lowrie with a .801 OPS (.306/.380/.422) has this...

146 PAs and 125 AB with men on base and 28 RBIs.

73 PAs and 57 ABs with RISP: 25 RBI

High leverage: .250/.363/.321/.684 (way below his overall numbers)

Yes, Naps has had more opportunities, but he has take advantage of many of them. I believe at a higher rate than most, especially when comparing his overall numbers to his numbers with men on base, in scoring position, or "when it counts".

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

[QUOTE]

Good job Moon, Jim is out to lunch on this supposition thing. Here's how it works, a player will duplicate his minor league production in the majors to a strong degree. A player will produce at his previous levels from year to year. Injuries will impact a player's productivity and are hard to predict, yet can be guestimated based on how reckless thay tend to play. Bryce Harper comes to mind. Players will peak offensively from ages 27-31. These are all givens. Let's look at the roster now;

C Salty, age 28 in his prime, having one of his best seasons, no surprise, and he's been durable.

1B Napoli, age 31.5, leaving his prime, expect him to produce less than his history. True.

2B Pedey, age 29, in his prime, typical Pedroia production, though his play will lead to injury. True.

SS Drew age 30, Prime, solid defense, hitting is lagging, not likely to be injured. True.

3B Iggy, 23 years old, unknown quantity as he has no track record and is 5 years from his prime.

LF Nava, 30, in his prime, having best year of hie career, easily predicted.

CF Ells 29, in his prime, producing within his history, likely to be injured stealing bases.

RF Victorino 32, past his prime, producing right to his history and likely to be injured due to agressive style.

DH, Ortiz, 37, past his prime, and likey to be injured (19 games missed)

Using the components of age, history and style, I am not surprised, and no one else should be either, take any hypothetical addition to the team and run him through these filters and see how they would play out in Boston.

A fair review, but Iggy has not followed the rule you mentioned about following his history in the minors (offensively).

Of course there is no way of knowing for sure which players will wilt under the pressure of playing in Boston and those who will not. A player that is doing well with one team this year, may have done better or worse had they been on our team (facing different pitchers, different parks and defenses, and other factors, including injury).

My point was that if you look at why this team is doing so well, most of the players making the most contributions to our wins, are not the free agents Ben signed. This is not meant to be a knock on Ben, but some are taking it that way and going overboard to prove otherwise.

Here is a breakdown of Ben's big decisions this past winter- not based on how the signing looked at the time, and what our perceived needs were, but how well they have performed so far this year and at what cost. Also, injuries are not foreseen, but they are still part of the judgement of has the signing been an overall plus or minus.

(Note: This is based on just first half performances: the jury is still out on most of these choices.)

Papi: I have not counted this as a free agent signing, but it should be included as a decision made by Ben. Many here wanted us to let Papi walk and become more flexible, young and have money to spend on other positions. Papi's age and chances of getting injured are big factors, but so far, even with the missed 19 games, I'd have to say the choice to sign Papi has been a plus.

Victorino: The 3 year deal was way too much in my opinion (from day 1). I get the fact that $13M is about the going rate for FAs of his skillset, but I still think it was overpay. The fact that 3 OF'ers on our team have better OPS than Shane right now, does not make this look like a good deal, even for just one year. Now, and OF of Carp in LF, Ells in CF, and Nava in RF is not as good defensively or on the basepaths as with Shane in RF, but I just cannot find anyway to count the SV signing as a plus so far. His .752 OPS is about what was expected, since his career OPS was about .771 before we signed him, and he is aging.  The injuries have been harmful, especially on team defense. Other options out there were: Bourn $48M/4 (lose draft pick), M Cabrera $16M/2, Hamilton $125M/5, T Hunter $26M/2, R Johns on $1.75M/1, Ludwick $15M/2, Pagan $40M/4, C Ross ($26M/3), Schierholtz $2.25M/1, BJ Upton $75M/5, or a trade for a player like J Upton. Some of these guys would clearly have been worse coices- some better. The point is Victorino has not really been a plus, especially if you take into consideration that his $13M is about 1/12th of our payroll budget. I have to say: net minus.

Dempster: This is hard one to rate, but he has pitched well enough to lead us to many more wins than we have gotten in his starts. He's second on the team in IP at 95.1. One could argue that we could have spent the money elsewhere and got a cheaper pitcher that could have led us to a 7-9 record in his starts, but that really isn't fair to Ryan or Ben. It's hard to say that Ryan has been a net plus with a 7-9 record in his starts, but I'm giving that signing a plus.

Drew: $9.5M was a big overpay. As everyone knows by now, I have been for Iggy as out FT starting SS since ST of 2012. It's hard to imagine Iggy playing wire to wire the first half of this year, not having better numbers than Drew both on offense and on defense. Now, the Middlebrooks situation has changed the equation somewhat, along with Ciriaco's horrible play at 3B. This has allowed Iggy to play 3B, excellently I might add, and Drew to play instead of Middlebrooks (esp vs RHPs). This has improved Drew's worth to the Sox, but only because his OPS is better than Middlebrooks and Iggy's defense at 3B is better than Middlebrooks as well. Still, to me, this signing has been an easy call: minus.

Napoli: Hard to guage his pay this year. He will earn $5M, but could make $13M if he is on the active roster for 165 days (basically, he gets a 15 day DL and no more). If he does not meet the 165 day requirement, he can also earn $6M for PA bonuses starting at 300 and $2M bonuses starting at 30 days on the active roster. He's just about at $2M in bonuses already, so even if he gets hurt and misses the rest of the season, he has earned about $7M. His .786 OPS is not bad, but below what most of us expected from a healthy Naps. However, his 54 RBIs, many in clutch situations and better than expected fielding at 1B has made this signing an overall plus.

Gomes: Although he is heating up, he clearly has been a disappointment with his .694 OPS. Obvious overall minus.

Ross: Injuries and a .674 OPS has tainted his good start to 2013. He did well with the pitchers, but I have to say: net minus.

Uehara: A fantastic signing that nearly everyone on the board liked at the time. Clearly a net plus.

Hanrahan: Hard to know if this trade will turn out to be a big bust, until we know how the prospects work out with Pittsburgh. We do know Melancon has done well (39 IP 0.92 ERA 0.864 WHIP) , but we don't know if he would have done well had he stayed here. However, it's hard to imagine even a replacement level player doing worse than Hanrahan. Clearly a minus.

If you count Papi, the numbers record is 4-5. Without Papi, it is 3-5. However, some of these decisions hold more weight than others, so I'll leave it up to you guys to determine if all of the combined has been a net plus or minus.

I'd say it's pretty close. Certainly the players we have signed have helped us win some games. I'd say we probably won more games with these guys than replacement type players, but for all the money we spent, I think we could have done better. Again, this is based on just what we have gotten in a half a season and totally on a hindsight criteria, which may not seem fair to some.

To me, the most valuable Red Sox players, so far this season, have been as listed below:

Most valuable:

Buch, Papi, Nava, Lackey, Uehara, Iggy, Salty, Pedroia, Carp, Tazawa

Valuable:

Napoli, Ellsbury, Dempster, Doubront, Miller, Breslow, Wilson

Even:

Aceves

Net Minus at cost (Could have done better with most other reasonable other choices) or by poor performance or both: 

Drew, Middlebrooks, Victorino, Gomes, Bailey, Hanrahan, Ross, Lester, Morales, Mortensen, Webster, Ciriaco, Bradley

[/QUOTE]

Let me start, where I disagree with you. Victorino; the 13M is what you pay for his skillset, and SV has provided speed on the basepaths, stellar defense from his glove and his arm. By wrapping him up for 3 years, we have Ells insurance for next year, so we don't have to rush JBJ, if he's not ready, or face an auction for Ells or his replacement. Some of SV's injuries have occured due to the great effort he puts out, which is also an example to his team mates. Imagine another year of Cody Ross stumbling, bumbling and rumbling out there. Next comes Drew; take him out of the equation and we'd have Iggy at SS, and that's okay, but then we'd have Middy at 3B struggling at the Mendoza line or Ciriaco to spell him, and that would be worse exponentially.  As for Naps he's been fine so far, but if he doesn't find his power stroke, he's just another 1B with 15 HR. Gomes, I think will perform better, as I suspect Nava will regress to his mean, and J-Go will get more AB's and better timing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Victorino is likely in decline. He will probably not get better over the next 2.5 years and may get hurt more and more.

The were not only 2 choices for RF: C Ross or SV.

Shane has done great on defense, when he plays. His ability to play CF is a big plus. His hitting seems to be improving recently. He has been a plus on this team, but at $13M, one has to wonder if the net plus of him over this OF:

LF: Carp/Gomes (Nava)

CF: Ells (JBJ)

RF: Nava

outweighs what we might have gotten for $39M/3 at another position.

On Drew, if we hadn't signed Drew, we would have signed a good back-up IF'er for sure.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Moon

I have never accepted what the FO has done or not done as GOLD
    As for signing others. We all know that some past signings and trades brought in what we found to be players of questionable character not super bad but team oriented Beckett, Agon,

There are things I have not thought were smart moves. Some I was wrong some I was more right.

Can you name a few? Just curious

I was happy with Drew (did not believe Iggy was ready), Victorino, Gomes, Ross on the fence about Carp and Ortiz, not happy with Bailey or Hanrahan.

I disliked not signing Paps and said at the time it would hurt this team for 5 or more years.  I believe Paps will have a career that puts him in the top 5 all time closers list. BTW so far I'm right but I'm not posting a new thread about it after every BLOWN SAVE

I did not like putting Bard and Aceves in the SP I could not see putting two successful guys in different roles. IMHO that non signing and two moves decimated last years pitching staff......

I was happy with getting Crawford as he was the best LF in MLB at the time.

I was not happy with trading Crawford or AGon but I did understand why it happened. Just like some wanted Martinez to stay I understood why he was let go as we never would have got Agon at that time.

BTW I never worry about salaries unlike others. Many say CC was signed for too much. However at the time and looking at other signings it was not as far over the top as many would have you believe. They also bring up the disappointment but that was an unkown at the time. Softy says otherwise!!!!

Many say they could have had better value at SS, well that can be said because those people do not have all the intimate info about other players. Just like people still say they should have traded for Lee yet they did not know at the time he and his wife did not want to come to Boston. And despite that they now want to trade for him. What has changed for Lee and his wife wanting to come to Boston now if he has a NTC? Why would you want some one on your team who has said he did not want to play there?????

In all honesty I recently proposed a trade for Lee and Paps realizing Lee had to have changed hid mind about Boston.

I also look at the BIG picture and fully understand the RS have a 5 to 10 yr plan. As well as that one trade or signing affects not only that position but every other move as well.

IMHO Victorino was brought in for RF this year but for CF if Jake is not resigned and JBjr is not ready. If he is ready SV stays in RF.

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Fair enough, jim. Thanks for the summary.

I do look at the money, because unlike some posters who feel we can spend like the Yanks of old, we do have a limited budget. I think Ben has been told to stay under the luxury limit, unless a "once in a lifetime deal" comes along. I was gainst tying 1/8th of our player payroll on Crawford. I'm not being revisionist here. I said it on day one. The fact that he stunk vs LHPs should have been enough to pass on him. I thought AGon might be worth $22M a year, but it wasn't a fantasic deal for the money. Everyone we sign limits what we can spend elsewhere, so when I see us spend $9.5M on Drew, when I felt like Iggy was better overall to start with, I speak up. ( By being critical of Ben on a few things, does not mean I think I am better than him, or that I think he is doing an overall bad job. Both are untrue.)

In general, I have always felt like the best place to "overpay" is starting pitching.

Some things I like about Ben not listed above:

1) Making sure JBJ did not lose a year of team control.

2) Keeping Nava around.

3) Sticking with Salty through a rough learning curve.

4) Making the Carp deal and then choosing him over others in camp.

5) Giving Tazawa a chance to have a meaningful role in the pen.

6) Sticking with Middlebrooks, but realizing when enough was enough.

7) Doing what it took to get his man: Farrell.

8) Believing in Lackey.

9) Keeping the farm intact and building it up.

10) Changing the chemistry in a positive manner.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

2013 OPS   ,     AB and OPS w/ RISP

Napoli       .786      98  .790     (Bases loaded 12 AB 20 RBI)

Scutaro    .789      46   .737

Lowrie      .802      57    .820

Gardner    .804    44   .870

Nava         .813    86   .887

[/QUOTE]

Why are you choosing these guys?

We needed a 1Bman, and none of them play 1B. Yes, Loney or Overbay were cheaper and have done pretty well so far, but would you really prefer either of those players over Napoli for the second half of 2013?

[/QUOTE]

I would say Napoli's bat has been a disappointment.  

OPS/ISO   career .854 / .240     2013  .782  / .177

That is playing in RHH friendly Fens and not catching anymore.    

I choose low power players who have out-produced him over the first half, to indicate the mediocre nature of his first half.  The Sox would never countenance putting Scutaro or Lowrie permanently at 1B, yet both have out hit him in awful hitting parks.   Nava is such a poor fielder that 1B may be his only spot, and who would have thought he would outhit Nap.

As shown above, Nap has 7 hits in 12 bases loaded AB.  He has also done well in a very small sample size of high lev. situatuions.   Bringing up RBI is a sure sign you have no argument, as shown by his large number of RISP opportunities and mediocre RISP performance.

At the cost he has been great, but I would not be saying that at $13M.

BBRef  2013  oWAR  0.9  dWAR   0.1    

FGs   2013  1.4 WAR

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2013 OPS   ,     AB and OPS w/ RISP

Napoli       .786      98  .790     (Bases loaded 12 AB 20 RBI)

Scutaro    .789      46   .737

Lowrie      .802      57    .820

Gardner    .804    44   .870

Nava         .813    86   .887

Why are you choosing these guys?

We needed a 1Bman, and none of them play 1B. Yes, Loney or Overbay were cheaper and have done pretty well so far, but would you really prefer either of those players over Napoli for the second half of 2013?

[/QUOTE]

I would say Napoli's bat has been a disappointment.  

OPS/ISO   career .854 / .240     2013  .782  / .177

That is playing in RHH friendly Fens and not catching anymore.    

I choose low power players who have out-produced him over the first half, to indicate the mediocre nature of his first half.  The Sox would never countenance putting Scutaro or Lowrie permanently at 1B, yet both have out hit him in awful hitting parks.   Nava is such a poor fielder that 1B may be his only spot, and who would have thought he would outhit Nap.

As shown above, Nap has 7 hits in 12 bases loaded AB.  He has also done well in a very small sample size of high lev. situatuions.   Bringing up RBI is a sure sign you have no argument, as shown by his large number of RISP opportunities and mediocre RISP performance.

At the cost he has been great, but I would not be saying that at $13M.

BBRef  2013  oWAR  0.9  dWAR   0.1    

FGs   2013  1.4 WAR

[/QUOTE]

I get your point, and agree with you on RBIs as a stat of skill, but nevertheless, he has driven in many runs in crucial times. I'm hoping he brings up his OPS.

BTW, low power guys actually might do better in pitcher's parks, relatively speaking, since there is more room to drop in base hits.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I get your point, and agree with you on RBIs as a stat of skill, but nevertheless, he has driven in many runs in crucial times. I'm hoping he brings up his OPS.

BTW, low power guys actually might do better in pitcher's parks, relatively speaking, since there is more room to drop in base hits.

[/QUOTE]

Fair point, unless they are FB hitters.  Lowrie has changed his approach after leaving Houston for obviouse reasons.     FB%/LD%  '12  51 / 20      '13   38  / 27

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/46417/  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

Very interesting thread...I didn't like the Victorino or Dempster signings because I thought they were to much money for what we were going to get in return. Dempster has really done a good job ...after a few bad outings early on he has really done what we have needed. Victorino has really played well also...the problem is keeping him on the field. I have a hard time thinking he has been a minus for the Sox after watching how he has played in RF...maybe the best we have had out there since Dewey in the mid 70's. Far as Ross and Gomes go....Ross has been hurt to much to really be evaluated ....I think and Gomes has had some huge hits in very limited at bats and he does seem to have some sort of good karma thing going for him and whatever team he plays for. Carp and Uehara...those are great pick ups so far. Napoli  had a great month of April, I thought man he is a slow starter if he keeps this up he could be the MVP. So its been puzzling to watch him struggle to find his stroke through the months of May and June....I think he had 27 RBI in April...and what 22 in the 2 months since. Hopefully he will get it together in the second half.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Fair point, unless they are FB hitters.  Lowrie has changed his approach after leaving Houston for obviouse reasons.     FB%/LD%  '12  51 / 20      '13   38  / 27

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/46417/  

[/QUOTE]

I remember when people used to argue about what Wade Boggs' stats would be like had he played in Yankee Stadium instead of Fenway, I used to say that he might have more HRs, but less singles and a lower BA. (Although he went to LF very well, so maybe he'd have sprayed more singles to LF than he could ever have dreamed of in Fenway.)

Sections
Shortcuts