Why aren't the Sox winning more games, in fact, a lot more games?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Why aren't the Sox winning more games, in fact, a lot more games?

I'll tell you why.  John Farrell doesn't know what he is doing, ditto Ben C.  The wrong lineups almost every game, the wrong guys on the active roster, a very weak hitting coach, ditto the pitching coach, weak fundamentals team-wide.  The list is endless.

If Cherington and Farrell were even halfway competent, the Sox would still be undefeated.  John Henry needs to clean house. 

The above may sound extreme, but it's kind of a logical extension of some of the threads about how much better the Sox would be if only . . . . .

Fortunately, there is also a school of thought on this board that says the Sox current record and position in the AL East is a minor miracle because nobody but nobody expected the Sox to be leading by 2 games on August 9, 2013. 

Here's my take on last night, FWIW.  Lester, despite a rough first inning, had a terrific outing made all the much tougher by a porous defense, including one egregious error by Gomes which led to 2 unearned runs, and by a lineup which was completely helpless against Chen, who was/is clearly a very good lefty starter and exactly the kind of pitcher who has been tough on the Sox all season long even though overall the Sox have a winning record against lefty starters.  Lester went 7 innings, 120 pitches (including a backbreaking 41 pitches in the 1st inning which should have wiped him out but didn't), and gave up 1 earned run.  This is very good news because it does suggest he has turned a corner.  I hate errors as much as anyone, but they happen, and last night I think Chen was always going to make a Sox win very difficult to achieve.  The two late dingers were even a useful object lesson for de la rosa--steady heat, especially in the middle of the strike zone, is a recipe for disaster. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Why aren't the Sox winning more games, in fact, a lot more games?

Amazing.  Sox are winning the division into 2nd week of August and don't seem like pretender and you just had to complain.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Amazing.  Sox are winning the division into 2nd week of August and don't seem like pretender and you just had to complain.  

Read the entire post, Sean.

I believe Max is being sarcastic in most of it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to seannybboi's comment:

[QUOTE]

Read the entire post, Sean.

I believe Max is being sarcastic in most of it.

[/QUOTE]

And I'm being sarcastic as well.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

They went for a team with a more positive attitude. The talent level is lacking.

Considering the 4th highest payroll in the majors, the Red Sox are somewhat fortunate to be enjoying better success than Philadlephia and the Yankees who pay more for their disappointing seasons.

Consider Tampa Bay, Oakland and Pittsburgh...third , fourth and fifth from the bottom and thriving.

Also consider Houston ---dead last and KC nearer the bottom are giving the Red Sox fits lately.

Positive thinking and a good attitude makes for a better product, but without talent to match the payroll , it is merely wasting money.

These positions are lacking talentwise- 1B, SS, 3B (severly lacking), LF, and long relief. The Closer role has been solved at the expense of middle relief.

The final answer to the why.....simply not getting the "bang for the buck."

With the 4th highest payroll in baseball, and the 2nd highest in the AL , and considering the Yankees are mostly on the DL, THE QUESTION SHOULD BE, "WHY ARE THE SOX STRUGGLING WITH TEAMS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FOOD CHAIN?"

and the answer is ....TOO MUCH MONEY SPENT FOOLISHLY ON GOOD "CLUBHOUSE GUYS" AND NOT ENOUGH PLAYERS WITH RAW TALENT.

Prime examples a left fielder who does his best Wily Mo Pena impression on a routine flyball, two third baseman who really do not belong at the major league level at this point.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Love all the sarcastic posts lately Max.

The latest complaint by the usual posters...How come a tired 37yo papi who has dealt with a serious heel injury which also affected his other heel is resting a day after running wild in Houston for 3 days? I mean.....How DARE he be sore and need a rest!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm ready for the rebuttals so fire away.

I know how most of you can easily be blindsided by Lucchino and Henry and their divine leadership ( leadership that brought us such revelations as Bobby Valentine).

Nobody ever wants to hear the bad news. So, here's some good news, despite the bumbling of the organization, despite the amount of money wasted, the Red Sox have a legit chance at winning at least the AL pennant. It will take a little luck, alot of desire...but the fact is there is no super favorite out there. Even with a team of marginal talent for the moeny spent, they could still do alright. There may be light at the end of the tunnel, and it might not be a train headed straight at us.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I know how most of you can easily be blindsided by Lucchino and Henry and their divine leadership ( leadership that brought us such revelations as Bobby Valentine).

Nobody ever wants to hear the bad news. So, here's some good news, despite the bumbling of the organization, despite the amount of money wasted, the Red Sox have a legit chance at winning at least the AL pennant. It will take a little luck, alot of desire...but the fact is there is no super favorite out there. Even with a team of marginal talent for the moeny spent, they could still do alright. There may be light at the end of the tunnel, and it might not be a train headed straight at us.

I am not so much blinded by Luchhino and Henry as I am by the best record in the majors.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

[QUOTE]

I am not so much blinded by Luchhino and Henry as I am by the best record in the majors.

[/QUOTE]

That and some pay too much attention to the money. Was it not obvious that the Sox overpayed players to take less years because we have a large group of young talent making their way to Boston over the next couple years?

KC, TB dont get to keep their young talent. Maybe a couple here and there, but most of them leave for the bigger money. if they miss on a prospect, they are in big trouble.

Me, Im glad the Sox can afford to keep their home grown talent if they want. Im glad they can afford to overpay a few players to fill the holes and let the kids properly develop without rushing them. Unlike a lot of teams who have to use their prospects before they are ready. We dont have to go through the 2-3 years of sweeping the basement waiting for the kids to develop in the majors.

Call it what you want, but apparently Ben has assembled a true TEAM that has talent and that "dirt dog" attitude we all love here. Throw in alittle luck here and there and you have a legit 1st place team and playoff contender.We have our weaknesses like every other team and Im sure they will be addressed. Enjoy the ride.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The main reason we have lost so many games is that in those games, the opponent's offense scored more runs than us, and our pitching/defense allowed more runs than the opponent's.

It's not as complicated as some think.

Wink

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I'd quit watching, if I were you.

Seems like every comeback win makes you crankier.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Baseball has always been an incredible frustrating pursuit for those who deal in absolutes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to ZILLAGOD's

That and some pay too much attention to the money. Was it not obvious that the Sox overpayed players to take less years because we have a large group of young talent making their way to Boston over the next couple years?

KC, TB dont get to keep their young talent. Maybe a couple here and there, but most of them leave for the bigger money. if they miss on a prospect, they are in big trouble.

Me, Im glad the Sox can afford to keep their home grown talent if they want. Im glad they can afford to overpay a few players to fill the holes and let the kids properly develop without rushing them. Unlike a lot of teams who have to use their prospects before they are ready. We dont have to go through the 2-3 years of sweeping the basement waiting for the kids to develop in the majors.

Call it what you want, but apparently Ben has assembled a true TEAM that has talent and that "dirt dog" attitude we all love here. Throw in alittle luck here and there and you have a legit 1st place team and playoff contender.We have our weaknesses like every other team and Im sure they will be addressed. Enjoy the ride.

I am also glad the Sox "can afford to keep their homegrown talent."

So why don't they?

Let's ask Iglesias, Moss, Reddick, Masterson and Lowrie.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But, I didn't disagree that this team can win it all.

What I am saying is that they aren't getting enough bang for the buck.

Teams with lower payrolls are keeping pace with the Red Sox.

This is what happens when businessmen run a sports franchise, instead of letting BASEBALL people run a team.

You know this team is less about winning and more about making money. The advertising is getting ridiculous. How many more corporations will clamor for ad space on the Green Monster? You know Henry is raking it in hand over fist, even after 5 down seasons, seasons of having a team with a hefty payroll that didn't deliver in the end. Sure , they have the best record right now, but teams like KC, Balt. , Tampa are breathing down their neck with teams costing them much less. Young talent is where it's at. Yet this team keeps bringing in 30+ yr old players , sometimes they get lucky with players like Victorino. But, if they keep sending players like Masterson and Iglesias away for older "quick fix" players they will eventually have to rebuild again, sooner than expected....I would rather rebuild now, and save future suffering. Let's not get in a cycle of rebuilding every 3rd year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I'll tell you why.  John Farrell doesn't know what he is doing, ditto Ben C.  The wrong lineups almost every game, the wrong guys on the active roster, a very weak hitting coach, ditto the pitching coach, weak fundamentals team-wide.  The list is endless.

If Cherington and Farrell were even halfway competent, the Sox would still be undefeated.  John Henry needs to clean house. 

The above may sound extreme, but it's kind of a logical extension of some of the threads about how much better the Sox would be if only . . . . .

Fortunately, there is also a school of thought on this board that says the Sox current record and position in the AL East is a minor miracle because nobody but nobody expected the Sox to be leading by 2 games on August 9, 2013. 

Here's my take on last night, FWIW.  Lester, despite a rough first inning, had a terrific outing made all the much tougher by a porous defense, including one egregious error by Gomes which led to 2 unearned runs, and by a lineup which was completely helpless against Chen, who was/is clearly a very good lefty starter and exactly the kind of pitcher who has been tough on the Sox all season long even though overall the Sox have a winning record against lefty starters.  Lester went 7 innings, 120 pitches (including a backbreaking 41 pitches in the 1st inning which should have wiped him out but didn't), and gave up 1 earned run.  This is very good news because it does suggest he has turned a corner.  I hate errors as much as anyone, but they happen, and last night I think Chen was always going to make a Sox win very difficult to achieve.  The two late dingers were even a useful object lesson for de la rosa--steady heat, especially in the middle of the strike zone, is a recipe for disaster. 

We don't win more games because we can't hit lefties so even when we go on small role a decent lefty shuts us down every time.  We probably didn't go after Rios because of the money and the fact it would have disrupted the playing time of Gomes, Nava and Carp but at 31 Rios could have been a nice fit for a couple years, especially if we lose Jacoby.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Sarcasms dont win pennants, just pseudo-literary contests,  perhaps...usually what win champioships are teams that do well at the start, get better by July dateline, get even better by bringing succesful youngsters from the farm or get a wily veteran via waivers... Teams change during a long seaon,  where they are August 9th is not a guarantee of where they will be when the race is over...so it is not a sin to at least  endeavor to make a team better... For that purpose, one has to analyze, scrutinize,criticize, suggest,  every day, every move, every one, from top to bottom,...is this not the objective and fun of these threads?...  may God bless you all.. Go Sox!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

They went for a team with a more positive attitude. The talent level is lacking.

Considering the 4th highest payroll in the majors, the Red Sox are somewhat fortunate to be enjoying better success than Philadlephia and the Yankees who pay more for their disappointing seasons.

Consider Tampa Bay, Oakland and Pittsburgh...third , fourth and fifth from the bottom and thriving.

Also consider Houston ---dead last and KC nearer the bottom are giving the Red Sox fits lately.

Positive thinking and a good attitude makes for a better product, but without talent to match the payroll , it is merely wasting money.

These positions are lacking talentwise- 1B, SS, 3B (severly lacking), LF, and long relief. The Closer role has been solved at the expense of middle relief.

The final answer to the why.....simply not getting the "bang for the buck."

With the 4th highest payroll in baseball, and the 2nd highest in the AL , and considering the Yankees are mostly on the DL, THE QUESTION SHOULD BE, "WHY ARE THE SOX STRUGGLING WITH TEAMS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FOOD CHAIN?"

and the answer is ....TOO MUCH MONEY SPENT FOOLISHLY ON GOOD "CLUBHOUSE GUYS" AND NOT ENOUGH PLAYERS WITH RAW TALENT.

Prime examples a left fielder who does his best Wily Mo Pena impression on a routine flyball, two third baseman who really do not belong at the major league level at this point.

Is this post sarcastic as well, or just unbelievably myopic? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But, I didn't disagree that this team can win it all.

What I am saying is that they aren't getting enough bang for the buck.

Teams with lower payrolls are keeping pace with the Red Sox.

This is what happens when businessmen run a sports franchise, instead of letting BASEBALL people run a team.

You know this team is less about winning and more about making money. The advertising is getting ridiculous. How many more corporations will clamor for ad space on the Green Monster? You know Henry is raking it in hand over fist, even after 5 down seasons, seasons of having a team with a hefty payroll that didn't deliver in the end. Sure , they have the best record right now, but teams like KC, Balt. , Tampa are breathing down their neck with teams costing them much less. Young talent is where it's at. Yet this team keeps bringing in 30+ yr old players , sometimes they get lucky with players like Victorino. But, if they keep sending players like Masterson and Iglesias away for older "quick fix" players they will eventually have to rebuild again, sooner than expected....I would rather rebuild now, and save future suffering. Let's not get in a cycle of rebuilding every 3rd year.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe the Red Sox can cut significant payroll and finish third above the Yankees and Blue Jays.  We can then really consider it an accomplishment.  And yes, for clarification sake, I am being sarcastic.  

By the way, do you know that it's August 9th, and the Red Sox are leading the toughest division in baseball by two games?  But forget that.  That can cut payroll, give up on this Quixotic quest for a playoff spot and World Series, and we won't have to suffer five years from now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to torgorocks' comment:

I agree, the SOX are not in 1st place because of a minor miracle; they're in 1st place because of a MAJOR MIRACLE. This is not sarcasm; this is what results when every other explanation fails. An average SP staff, a below average BP. A mediocre manager. A team that's weak against LH pitching. Major miracle is the only thing that makes sense.

No, it's not a miracle.  It's just good old math.

First of all, our staff ERA of 3.84 is better than the league average of 4.02 - how is that possible if our starters are average and our relievers are below average?

Second, we have the #2 offense in the league.

Third, we have a run differential of +105.

Last year's Orioles were what you could call a miracle team, winning just about every one-run game and extra-inning game.

This team is doing it simply by outscoring the opposition on a game-to-game basis.

And yes, this team is not a lock for the playoffs yet by any means.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to torgorocks' comment:

I agree, the SOX are not in 1st place because of a minor miracle; they're in 1st place because of a MAJOR MIRACLE. This is not sarcasm; this is what results when every other explanation fails. An average SP staff, a below average BP. A mediocre manager. A team that's weak against LH pitching. Major miracle is the only thing that makes sense.

No, it's not a miracle.  It's just good old math.

First of all, our staff ERA of 3.84 is better than the league average of 4.02 - how is that possible if our starters are average and our relievers are below average?

Second, we have the #2 offense in the league.

Third, we have a run differential of +105.

Last year's Orioles were what you could call a miracle team, winning just about every one-run game and extra-inning game.

This team is doing it simply by outscoring the opposition on a game-to-game basis.

And yes, this team is not a lock for the playoffs yet by any means.

Exactly.

We have been a pretty balanced team when compared to others.

Our mean runs scored is still 5. 

We've scored 0-3 runs just 44 times out of 118 games.

4 runs 11 times.

5 or more 63 times.

Our mean runs allowed is also 4, but we have allowed...

0-3 runs 56 times

4 runs 18 times.

5 or more 44 times