Why Buch is about to step into the ACE role....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: Why Buch is about to step into the ACE role....

In response to mef429's comment:

can i just say that Buch has probably the best changeup i've seen.. it's dirty, great disparity in speed and it jsut completely fools opposing hitters. When he is on and utilizes that pitch he is nearly untouchable. wish i could throw a change like that..

I wish I could have thrown 95....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Of course 20 wins for both is pushing it!  No _____ sherlock.  I'm still relatively certain that both will have big seasons by every other metric. I just have this feeling that our bats are going to show up & give these guys the support they need.  I think these guys are going to come together as a team, for the first time since 2007, and give Red Sox Nation a fun ride.  The potential is there despite the worn tires.  I'm choosing to be an optimist, as we have to other choice.  Plenty of time to get pizzed off, and I'm hoping that time doesn't come this season.  No doubt there will be rocky roads, but I just have a feeling this year could be special.  I love the fact that the prima donnas are gone!  Beckett, Crawford, and even A-Gon were huge drains on this team.  Yes!  A-Gon with his whining year 1 about the schedule etc...  Glad he's gone!  We have a chance to really root for a TEAM!  Even Lackey, who I have loathed with a passion.  I'm pulling for the guy, because he seems to give a _______!

20 wins a piece?  Almost rediculous....  Who cares?  I'm gonna be .......  ooops   getting the call to the pen...   gotta go

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Lackey for comeback player of the year???

That might be pushing it, but I'm desperately hoping he can put together a respectable season.  It's been nice to see him come back in such good shape, with a very humble attitude.  I always thought Lackey was the problem???  Perhaps it was Beckett the whole time?  Let's go with that, and give Lackey all the backing we can.  What a great comeback story it would be, especially if this club can put together a post season run :)

Go Sox!

That's what I predicted on your thread about Lackey back at the beginning of ST. :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

mef while I have an immensely strong distaste for the Dempster signing I did really enjoy his character on a WEEI show a few weeks ago. Seems like a cool cat - a good thing for those other sour-pusses on the staff.

he is not the best pitcher on the roster but he has a lot of heart and battles every time he takes the mound. he is a warrior and hopefully that mentality will rub off on the rest of the staff. Last season, there were 0 warriors on the pitching staff. Now we at least have 1 :)

let's get that number into the high single digits! if so, playoffs abound!

while not a totr starter, you dont last in MLB for 15 years if your no good. Hes a much better influence than Beckett ever was, which is partof the reason he is here.

Also, Nieves and Farrell suggested the faster pace from what Ive read. Another reason Dempster is a good fit on this team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Also, Nieves and Farrell suggested the faster pace from what Ive read. Another reason Dempster is a good fit on this team.

I agree that Dempster is a good fit for this team.  He won't pitch as well as he did for the Cubs last year, but he won't pitch as poorly as he did for the Rangers either.

As far as the faster pace goes, I have wondered for a couple of years now why the slow pace between pitches hasn't been addressed.  I recently posted this on another site:

Last year, out of 243 starting pitchers, Clay was the 2nd slowest between pitches, at 25.6 seconds. I believe the average time between pitches is 21.2 seconds (quoting that from memory, so it may be off a little). By contrast, Buehrle was the quickest at 17.2 seconds.

The Red Sox starters, as a whole, took the more time between pitches than any other starting staff, with an average of 24 seconds between pitches.

Here's where the other Sox starters ranked, out of 243 starters:

#5, Dice - 25.1 seconds

#6, Beckett - 24.6 seconds

#18, Bard, Doubront, Morales - 23.9 seconds

#38, Lester - 23.2 seconds

#172, Cook - 20.6 seconds

Taking a long time between pitches seems to have been an organizational philosophy. I'm not sure why, since I've always heard that pitchers are at their best when they work quickly and can get into a rhythm. I am really glad to see Farrell and the pitching coaches working on quickening the pace.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I agree that Dempster is a good fit for this team.  He won't pitch as well as he did for the Cubs last year, but he won't pitch as poorly as he did for the Rangers either.

As far as the faster pace goes, I have wondered for a couple of years now why the slow pace between pitches hasn't been addressed.  I recently posted this on another site:

Last year, out of 243 starting pitchers, Clay was the 2nd slowest between pitches, at 25.6 seconds. I believe the average time between pitches is 21.2 seconds (quoting that from memory, so it may be off a little). By contrast, Buehrle was the quickest at 17.2 seconds.

The Red Sox starters, as a whole, took the more time between pitches than any other starting staff, with an average of 24 seconds between pitches.

#5, Dice - 25.1 seconds

Taking a long time between pitches seems to have been an organizational philosophy. I'm not sure why, since I've always heard that pitchers are at their best when they work quickly and can get into a rhythm. I am really glad to see Farrell and the pitching coaches working on quickening the pace.

I heard them say that Buch is down to about 18-19 seconds in between pitches. I can understand taking a little more time when theres a runner on who is a stolen base threat to mess up his timing, but overall hes much quicker. IMO, Its a better way of pitching as it allows you to get in a better flow and doesnt give the hitter a lot of time to think about things.

The other starters have noticably sped things up as well...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I heard them say that Buch is down to about 18-19 seconds in between pitches. I can understand taking a little more time when theres a runner on who is a stolen base threat to mess up his timing, but overall hes much quicker. IMO, Its a better way of pitching as it allows you to get in a better flow and doesnt give the hitter a lot of time to think about things.

Picking up the pace doesn't give Buch time to overthink things either.  IMO, he has been his own worst enemy from the mental aspect of the game.  I've seen Buch throw over to first base numerous times when the runner was standing on the bag and was obviously not a threat to steal. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

#5, Dice - 25.1 seconds

Actually, I think it was a bad habit our pitchers picked up from Beckett while he was our "staff leader".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Picking up the pace doesn't give Buch time to overthink things either.  IMO, he has been his own worst enemy from the mental aspect of the game.  I've seen Buch throw over to first base numerous times when the runner was standing on the bag and was obviously not a threat to steal. 

Very good point Kimmi.

That is also why Bard is better suited in the pen. He gets in his own way and over thinks things. Its even worse when he has 5 days in between starts..Too much time to think...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

#5, Dice - 25.1 seconds

Actually, I think it was a bad habit our pitchers picked up from Beckett while he was our "staff leader".

Some here don't agree with this, but I do. Beckett had a lot of influence on our younger starters and he didn't realize how much he really had, or he just didn't care. I think it was the latter...

Sure, they are grown men and can decide things for themselves, but they can still be influenced by a guy like Beckett and what hes accomplished. Beckett was a perfect case of addition by subtraction IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Buch that Doubie into the Dumpster, Lest we lose or Morales.

In the old days you could buy a Doubie for a Buch, out by the Dumpster.  But of course you had to keep an eye out, Lester cop or school Lackey be on patrol.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

#5, Dice - 25.1 seconds

Some here don't agree with this, but I do. Beckett had a lot of influence on our younger starters and he didn't realize how much he really had, or he just didn't care. I think it was the latter...

Sure, they are grown men and can decide things for themselves, but they can still be influenced by a guy like Beckett and what hes accomplished. Beckett was a perfect case of addition by subtraction IMO.

The evidence seems pretty clear on the slow pace issue. Beckett has always been notorious for his slow pace and now that he's gone our pitchers are working faster. Then again it might be some form of complicated Farrell voodoo. :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Buch that Doubie into the Dumpster, Lest we lose or Morales.

In the old days you could buy a Doubie for a Buch, out by the Dumpster.  But of course you had to keep an eye out, Lester cop or school Lackey be on patrol.

+1 ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Taking a long time between pitches seems to have been an organizational philosophy. I'm not sure why, since I've always heard that pitchers are at their best when they work quickly and can get into a rhythm. I am really glad to see Farrell and the pitching coaches working on quickening the pace.

Yes, the reason we have been losing is because our best pitcher over the last 6 years took too much time between pitchers, everyone else mimiked him, and now they all stink.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Buch that Doubie into the Dumpster, Lest we lose oor Morales.

Good one!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Lester was only off last year, not the past few years. And while it sounds nice about "keeping his head in the game" if you listen to Farrell, he'll tell you that it was Lester's mechanics that became the problem.

He has become increasingly out of control on the mound for at least the last 2 years, losing his cool on a consistent basis.  Letting the calls take his head out of the game.  Barking & fuming at the umps behind the plate.  I'm not sure what you've been watching if you haven't seen this.

No offense!  I love Lester, but this has become a major problem for him over the past 2 years.  I've heard the comments about his mechanics for some time now, and I would not disagree with this problem also being a MAJOR factor in his fall.  Quite likely his biggest problem.  The head thing????  Definitely a problem as well.

Buch and Lester may well both vie for the Ace title.  I would love to see that.  Both will win close to 20 games!!!!  I'm feeling it!  :) 

Never said he wasn't complaining. But it's foolish to say, "Gee, if only he'd stop complaining, he'd be pitching better."

It's more likely that he was complaining out of frustration that he wasn't pitching better and took it out on the umpires when he didn't get the call because he needed all the help he could get. It wasn't the complaining that prevented him from pitching better. It was the poor pitching/mechanics that prevented him from not complaining.

I think the complaining does get him squeezed more though.

I'll buy that, although it's probably more of an unconcious thing with umps. Balls and strike calls are too quick for an umpire to see a pitch that's close and think, "Strike ... wait a minute, Lester's been btchin' at me all game," then say ball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Lester was only off last year, not the past few years. And while it sounds nice about "keeping his head in the game" if you listen to Farrell, he'll tell you that it was Lester's mechanics that became the problem.

He has become increasingly out of control on the mound for at least the last 2 years, losing his cool on a consistent basis.  Letting the calls take his head out of the game.  Barking & fuming at the umps behind the plate.  I'm not sure what you've been watching if you haven't seen this.

No offense!  I love Lester, but this has become a major problem for him over the past 2 years.  I've heard the comments about his mechanics for some time now, and I would not disagree with this problem also being a MAJOR factor in his fall.  Quite likely his biggest problem.  The head thing????  Definitely a problem as well.

Buch and Lester may well both vie for the Ace title.  I would love to see that.  Both will win close to 20 games!!!!  I'm feeling it!  :) 

Never said he wasn't complaining. But it's foolish to say, "Gee, if only he'd stop complaining, he'd be pitching better."

It's more likely that he was complaining out of frustration that he wasn't pitching better and took it out on the umpires when he didn't get the call because he needed all the help he could get. It wasn't the complaining that prevented him from pitching better. It was the poor pitching/mechanics that prevented him from not complaining.

You're a tough man to agree with.  I think I just gave you the nod on that score, but we can continue arguing about nothing???

:)  Relax.... it's all good :)

Not arguing -- just explaining my point. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Speaking of the pitchers, who would be in favor of going with Ross and put Salty at the DH?

The only thing I don't like about this, is that it would undermine the prospect of having JBJ in LF and Gomes as the DH.  I just don't buy Salty as the answer behind the plate!  From what I've seen & read, Ross calls a better game and is far superior D up the middle.  Salty is simply too big, too long, and too slow in keeping runners on 1st.  He also stikes me as not that bright.  I would love to see the Sox deal Salty, but I'm equally pesimistic about Lava.

I just have the feeling that Ross may well be the key to getting this SR rolling???  The Sox were pretty clear with promising Ross significant playing time, and Salty's been pretty clear about not wanting to platoon.  Hard to believe that Salty would not net us something helpful in return.  Time to make a deal.  With the lack of big hitting, decent fielding catchers in the league, the Sox should be able to make a nice deal on him???

What say you? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Buch has some of the best pure stuff in the AL.  But to me he has to prove he can pitch 220 innings if he wants to be in that top tier.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Buch has some of the best pure stuff in the AL.  But to me he has to prove he can pitch 220 innings if he wants to be in that top tier.

Anybody heard anything about Buchs workout program in the off season?  Let's hope Buch can simply stay healthy and give the Sox those 220 innings!!! 

I think we're about to see a new and improved Buch, without his favorite golf partner.  It seems he's locked in and ready to roll!  Definitely a clear case of addition by subtraction w/ Beckett. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Speaking of the pitchers, who would be in favor of going with Ross and put Salty at the DH?

The only thing I don't like about this, is that it would undermine the prospect of having JBJ in LF and Gomes as the DH.  I just don't buy Salty as the answer behind the plate!  From what I've seen & read, Ross calls a better game and is far superior D up the middle.  Salty is simply too big, too long, and too slow in keeping runners on 1st.  He also stikes me as not that bright.  I would love to see the Sox deal Salty, but I'm equally pesimistic about Lava.

1) Salty improved greatly in almost every area of catcher defense, except CS% in 2012.

2) Salty is not a good enough hitter to be a DH. His numbers vs RHPs are very good as a catcher, but not as a DH.

I just have the feeling that Ross may well be the key to getting this SR rolling???  The Sox were pretty clear with promising Ross significant playing time, and Salty's been pretty clear about not wanting to platoon.  Hard to believe that Salty would not net us something helpful in return.  Time to make a deal.  With the lack of big hitting, decent fielding catchers in the league, the Sox should be able to make a nice deal on him???

What say you? 

Ross hits LHPs just about the same as RHPs, so I think we will see him start vs all LHPs, since Salty stinks vs LHPs, but unlike Shoppach, we should see Ross play vs some RH'd starters as well. My guess is we see this:

85-95 GS'd by Salty

67-77 GS'd by Ross

We may see some PH'ing late in games.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Anybody heard anything about Buchs workout program in the off season?  Let's hope Buch can simply stay healthy and give the Sox those 220 innings!!! 

I think we're about to see a new and improved Buch, without his favorite golf partner.  It seems he's locked in and ready to roll!  Definitely a clear case of addition by subtraction w/ Beckett. :)

"Definitely"?

Seems speculative to me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think thats the only thing with me too...hes never pitched 200 yet. If he can put together a couple years of 200IP, then yeah...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

If Buchholz and Lester have big years - the rotation is suddenly solid.

Of course - it's a big "IF" right now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

1) Salty improved greatly in almost every area of catcher defense, except CS% in 2012.

2) Salty is not a good enough hitter to be a DH. His numbers vs RHPs are very good as a catcher, but not as a DH.

What say you? 

Ross hits LHPs just about the same as RHPs, so I think we will see him start vs all LHPs, since Salty stinks vs LHPs, but unlike Shoppach, we should see Ross play vs some RH'd starters as well. My guess is we see this:

85-95 GS'd by Salty

67-77 GS'd by Ross

I agree, but I would love to see a change by dealing Salty.  I think it would be a good thing for the pitchers to gain some continuity.  I honestly think Salty hurts us behind the plate.  Too big a target, dwarfing the mit.  Too long.  Too slow.  Not too bright.  The Sox need to give up the ghost on this big pop rally killing catcher who hurts us up the middle on D.  Nice kid, but there's a reason he was not a full time catcher before the Sox.  He was given a shot, & they didn't like what they saw.  The Sox are still seeing a mirage...

Sections
Shortcuts