Why Buch is about to step into the ACE role....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Why Buch is about to step into the ACE role....

This kids is really dealing!  When you can go 94mph to 74mph changeup, really mix pitches, HIT YOUR SPOTS as he is doing, and stay healthy, you are ready for a HUGE YEAR......  I'm predicting about 20 wins from Buch, and pushing Lester for the ACE role on this team.

With two potential 20 game winners, I give the Sox a more than decent chance of making the post season.   I really think these two are poised to light it up this season!  Farrell will do a great job of keeping their heads in the game, which was Lester's biggest problem the past few years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Why Buch is about to step into the ACE role....

Lester was only off last year, not the past few years. And while it sounds nice about "keeping his head in the game" if you listen to Farrell, he'll tell you that it was Lester's mechanics that became the problem.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Lester was only off last year, not the past few years. And while it sounds nice about "keeping his head in the game" if you listen to Farrell, he'll tell you that it was Lester's mechanics that became the problem.

I don't think all those dirty looks at the umpires helped too much either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

It never helped me, either.  :o)

But I do remember a few games where the umps DID seem to be missing the strike zone ... watching that strike zne thing on my pc .... 

More to the point, I do think - agreeing with Roy above - that not only did he have some mech problems but Farrell is now helping with that.

Clay looks great too ... and I am all for having two #1s.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The looks when he didn't get the call didn't make him look good, but it's not why he struggled last year. He didn't get the calls because he was missing, and he was missing because of his mechanics.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

He has become increasingly out of control on the mound for at least the last 2 years, losing his cool on a consistent basis.  Letting the calls take his head out of the game.  Barking & fuming at the umps behind the plate.  I'm not sure what you've been watching if you haven't seen this.

No offense!  I love Lester, but this has become a major problem for him over the past 2 years.  I've heard the comments about his mechanics for some time now, and I would not disagree with this problem also being a MAJOR factor in his fall.  Quite likely his biggest problem.  The head thing????  Definitely a problem as well.

Buch and Lester may well both vie for the Ace title.  I would love to see that.  Both will win close to 20 games!!!!  I'm feeling it!  :) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

One thing is for sure....  This team is going to be fun to root for!!!  I have not been this excited about the Sox since 2004!  :)

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

He has become increasingly out of control on the mound for at least the last 2 years, losing his cool on a consistent basis.  Letting the calls take his head out of the game.  Barking & fuming at the umps behind the plate.  I'm not sure what you've been watching if you haven't seen this.

No offense!  I love Lester, but this has become a major problem for him over the past 2 years.  I've heard the comments about his mechanics for some time now, and I would not disagree with this problem also being a MAJOR factor in his fall.  Quite likely his biggest problem.  The head thing????  Definitely a problem as well.

Buch and Lester may well both vie for the Ace title.  I would love to see that.  Both will win close to 20 games!!!!  I'm feeling it!  :) 

Never said he wasn't complaining. But it's foolish to say, "Gee, if only he'd stop complaining, he'd be pitching better."

It's more likely that he was complaining out of frustration that he wasn't pitching better and took it out on the umpires when he didn't get the call because he needed all the help he could get. It wasn't the complaining that prevented him from pitching better. It was the poor pitching/mechanics that prevented him from not complaining.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Never said he wasn't complaining. But it's foolish to say, "Gee, if only he'd stop complaining, he'd be pitching better."

It's more likely that he was complaining out of frustration that he wasn't pitching better and took it out on the umpires when he didn't get the call because he needed all the help he could get. It wasn't the complaining that prevented him from pitching better. It was the poor pitching/mechanics that prevented him from not complaining.

I think the complaining does get him squeezed more though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I think the complaining does get him squeezed more though.

Absolutely...Most umpires have ridiculous egos and if they think you are showing them up, you can forget about getting calls.  Farrell discussed it with Lester before they even got to spring training.  Doubront did the same thing.  He wanted a "Maddux strike zone" during his rookie year.  Beckett 101...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

You're a tough man to agree with.  I think I just gave you the nod on that score, but we can continue arguing about nothing???

:)  Relax.... it's all good :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Lackey for comeback player of the year???

That might be pushing it, but I'm desperately hoping he can put together a respectable season.  It's been nice to see him come back in such good shape, with a very humble attitude.  I always thought Lackey was the problem???  Perhaps it was Beckett the whole time?  Let's go with that, and give Lackey all the backing we can.  What a great comeback story it would be, especially if this club can put together a post season run :)

Go Sox!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I'm still waiting for some owner in my 10-team, 300-player dynasty fantasy league to pick up Clay Buchholz, whom I decided against retaining at $3 after keeping Buchholz on my roster all of last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

It wasn't the complaining that prevented him from pitching better. It was the poor pitching/mechanics that prevented him from not complaining.

couldn't it have been the complaining

that was preventing him from concentrating on his pitching mechanics

which also prevented him from not complaining

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Blame Beckett, I'm good with that.  And showing up the ump is called Dumb.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I know a pitcher of Lesters talent can rebound but he registers a zero on leadership. That is something you just don't turn on and off. The team still needs a pitcher who can lead not only in era but with attitude.

Dempster. i know he won't qualify for the first part of the statement but he does have many positive attributes (non-pitching related) that will hopefully rub off on buch, lester and the young pitchers we have/had in camp. Not sure if it was JFs idea or dempster but the fast pace between pitches seems to have been adopted by lester and buch and it seems to be making a difference. I know Dempster works a pretty quick game which is why i am drawing that conclusion.. but like i said, could also be Farrells doing too.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

mef while I have an immensely strong distaste for the Dempster signing I did really enjoy his character on a WEEI show a few weeks ago. Seems like a cool cat - a good thing for those other sour-pusses on the staff.

he is not the best pitcher on the roster but he has a lot of heart and battles every time he takes the mound. he is a warrior and hopefully that mentality will rub off on the rest of the staff. Last season, there were 0 warriors on the pitching staff. Now we at least have 1 :)

let's get that number into the high single digits! if so, playoffs abound!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Buch that Doubie into the Dumpster, Lest we lose our Morales.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

can i just say that Buch has probably the best changeup i've seen.. it's dirty, great disparity in speed and it jsut completely fools opposing hitters. When he is on and utilizes that pitch he is nearly untouchable. wish i could throw a change like that..

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts