why did tampa catch sox and learn from it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

why did tampa catch sox and learn from it

They drafted and developed good starters and redid their bullpen.sox haven't developed a starter since lester and brought in washed up bullpen guys.
    rays led league in fielding and play sound fundamental ball.this has low priority with sox.
    rays have maddon and good coaches.we know what sox have and hopefully they'll all be gone.
    rays play hard every 9/162.sox took many mental health days and were not driven by coma and co. nearly enough.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

Re: why did tampa catch sox and learn from it

I forgot that rays play in lowkey,no pressure environment.sox play in highest pressure anywhere and that won't change.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

The Rays didn"t play outstanding the Sox just gave it away.  From all the crap I am hearing now about this team....they don't deserve to be anywhere near the playoffs.  There will be some nice changes next season that can be certain.  Hopefully for the better.  The pitching is awful and the defense wasnt far behind. This team was a clone of the old red sox.  The only thing they did well was hit and entertain but in the end they lost......why...no pitching and average or below defense.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

Uh, the Rays did not catch the Sox, it was simply the Sox fell down to the Rays. Why can't some here see this. If the Sox went 9-18 in September they would be in the playoffs. The Rays did not go on one of those crazy runs like the Rockies did in 07 winning 21 of 22 games. The Rays before playing the last series against the Yanks were 9-9 against teams other than the Sox and are going nowhere in the playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have to agree with everyone here. It was nothing special that Tampa did. They are not a lights out team. Boston strated stumbling and for some reason were unable to regain their footing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

it's a 162 game season,not just september.this was lost way back in april.2-10
    they need to play well all year!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am not sure how everyone can say it was lost in April. Yes, they had a very poor start, but the fact is that they were in first place in August. And at that point, you stop looking at April and move into September.

There will always be points in the season where teams have a bad 20 game stretch. Boston's just happened to be at the beginning of the year, not the middle. Of course, I am leaving September out as that was more of a collapse than bad stretch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The Rays obviously know how to develop young pitching, and even if that team is not spectacular, their pitching will give them a chance. 

The Sox tried for a quick fix by signing Lackey and Dice-K (posting fee) to huge deals, with mediocre results.  I'll admit that at the time I thought Lackey was an ok Plan B to losing Teixeira, even if he was overpaid.  And Dice-K showed some early promise.  But this team has lost its way a little bit when it continually overpays for free agent talent.  I'd rather they kept Victor Martinez and/or Beltre, two guys that did well in Boston, than to overwhelm a guy like Crawford, who even if he reverts back to form next season is vastly overpaid. 

Theo or the next GM is hamstrung with some of these contracts.  Drafting for the future and signing the right free agents to supplement a team of high paid vets will be a difficult task.    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: why did tampa catch sox and learn from it:
    [QUOTE]Uh, the Rays did not catch the Sox, it was simply the Sox fell down to the Rays. Why can't some here see this. If the Sox went 9-18 in September they would be in the playoffs. The Rays did not go on one of those crazy runs like the Rockies did in 07 winning 21 of 22 games. The Rays before playing the last series against the Yanks were 9-9 against teams other than the Sox and are going nowhere in the playoffs.
    Posted by paesan59[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with you.  I don't see the Rays winning any of their playoff series and I don't expect them to win more than one game.  Although, anything can happen in the playoffs. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Being realistic, even while playing crappy baseball, it was Beckett, Lester, Bard, and Papelbon who blew the season.   If any of them (ANY) had lived up to THEIR end of the bargain, we would be in Texas right now.

We didn't need Crawford when we were the best team in MLB.  But we did need the pitchers that were the vets to do their jobs, and they failed.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

In Response to why did tampa catch sox and learn from it:
    [QUOTE]They drafted and developed good starters and redid their bullpen.sox haven't developed a starter since lester and brought in washed up bullpen guys. rays led league in fielding and play sound fundamental ball.this has low priority with sox. rays have maddon and good coaches.we know what sox have and hopefully they'll all be gone. rays play hard every 9/162.sox took many mental health days and were not driven by coma and co. nearly enough.
    Posted by udontnojack[/QUOTE]

What you mean is they make their money off Yankee and Boston taxes, get picks when they can't afford to keep their own players, and have been lucky enough to watch the Sox blow an enormous lead.  They are the model of a leach club.  They HAVE no revenue.  They also have not won a World Series, so enough about the Rays.  That is the only reason to play.  Until they do that, they are chumps that can't fill a stadium for their biggest game of the year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

In Response to Re: why did tampa catch sox and learn from it:
    [QUOTE]I forgot that rays play in lowkey,no pressure environment.sox play in highest pressure anywhere and that won't change.
    Posted by udontnojack[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that's a fair assessment nor an excuse. The pressure is there, but the payroll isn't. If you're going to pay someone millions of dollars, no one wants to hear about pressure, the schedule, God's plan etc. Suck it up and play ball. That's their JOB. 
    Regarding Rays catching the Sox. The Rays played baseball this month, that's all. Their record wasn't anything special. They played well and got the job done and capitalized on opportunity. That's what a team does. They work together and support each other and their organization. The coach believes in them, the fans support them and they have a comraderie that can be witnessed in the dugout during every game. It's about the team and it's about baseball. 
    The Rays have an excellent coach. Maddon makes every one here a little nervous at times, but we believe in him. Sometimes it's just blind faith (such as bringing in Dan Johnson Wed. night - seriously, who does that???). 
    No one here ever expected to be in the post season, it was just another September in Tampa.  But as you continue to debate what caused the Sox to fall, just remember that in the end, the Rays still had to get the job done. They still had to play ball to get here. No one handed them the opportunity. They worked for it and they earned it.