Why Did Tim Wakefield Start Game 1 of the 2004 World Series? Give Me One Good Reason!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Why Did Tim Wakefield Start Game 1 of the 2004 World Series? Give Me One Good Reason!

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I won't comment until all posters have had the opportunity to provide one reason that they think is a good and valid reason.

Best news I've heard all day...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Why Did Tim Wakefield Start Game 1 of the 2004 World Series? Give Me One Good Reason!

I won't comment until all posters have had the opportunity to provide one reason that they think is a good and valid reason.

Ok all......DO NOT post any valid reasons...let's see if the 'soft wonder' will keep his word.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Lowe pitched game 7, Schilling pitched game 6, Pedro pitched game 5 and for some reason a little in game 7. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Because Francona wanted to give St. Louis the chance to engage in a little slugfest with us in Game 1, for fun, before we snuffed the life out of them in Games 2-4.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Wakefield’s volunteer relief effort in Game 3 of the ALC series prevented him from starting Game 4.

Lowe pitched in Game 7 of the ALCS on two days' rest.

Curt Schilling won Game 6 of the ALCS despite pitching with stitches to attach a dislocated tendon in his right ankle.

Pedro Martinez pitched an inning of relief in Game 7.

Bronson Arroyo, who was bombed by the Yankees in his Game 3 start but pitched well in two relief appearances, stayed in the bullpen.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Who cares?? We swept them and it was almost 9 years ago...Why do you try so hard to find reasons to hate players? Ypou say your a fan and then do little attention seeking junk like this. What, are you 13?

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

It matters because that same management team, excluding InEsptein, is still making decisions that have nothing to do with winning baseball games.

Yes the team president made the decision who to start in game 1 of the WS not the manager.  LMAO @ U.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It seemed to work out.  We won the game and the well-rested Schilling, Pedro and D-Lowe gave up jacksquat in their starts.  Tito was great that postseason.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Just to tick you off, I'm sure.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

TO tick you off ... and my gosh it worked .... 8 years later, you're still po'd

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pedro Martinez pitched an inning of relief in Game 7.

No, in a blowout, Pedro threw 20 pitches as part of his normal side session.

Bronson Arroyo, who was bombed by the Yankees in his Game 3 start but pitched well in two relief appearances, stayed in the bullpen.

Arroyo was the better option, without a doubt. He wasn't facing the Yankees.

Thank goodness Wakefield's relief appearance prevented him from starting Game 4 of the ALCS, but that's not a good reason to start him in game 1 of the 2004 WS.

Hey, I thought Wakefield could pitch in relief and that didn't matter if started the next day? Whatever happened to that nonsense, along with "innings eater"?

Why did the Red Sox treat Wakefield like special privileged royalty, when he was so bad?

So bad?

(Your obsession with Wake is unhealthy and absurd.)

Just because you may not like the "reason", doesn't mean there is none.

Wake had the 4th best starter ERA on the team in 2004.

Wake had the 4th best starter WHIP on the team in 2004.

Wake had pitched very well in the 2003 playoffs, except for one pitch.

Wake let up 0-3 ERs in 6 of his last starts in 2004, including a game vs the Yanks. "Look at the game logs," is one of your favorite drivel chants.

10/18 Pedro 111 pitches

10/19 Schill  99 pitches

10/20 DLowe 69 pitches/Pedro 20 pitches

10/23 Wake pitched instead of Pedro on normal rest, if you don't count the relief game.

Again, look at the log:

2nd Inning: Bunt single to 3B, BB, Bunt sac, Sac Fly: WOW! They really tagged Wake.

4th inning: BB, Passed Ball, BB, BB, Sac Fly, Groundout run scores. Tagged again!

Maybe the guy you wanted was Arroyo? He comes in in the 6th: single, line drive 2B, GB 2B- 2 hard runs in 1 IP.

Maybe you wanted Pedro game 1, Schill game 2, and Lowe game 3, then who game 4? Arroyo? Pedro on short rest? (Not a good history there.)

I can see the argument for starting Pedro or Arroyo, but we got the win. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

Just to tick you off, I'm sure.

Ha!  AB, I didn't read any responses and then ran into yours .... JUST before mine.   That's funny.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts