Why Did Tim Wakefield Start Game 1 of the 2004 World Series? Give Me One Good Reason!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Why Did Tim Wakefield Start Game 1 of the 2004 World Series? Give Me One Good Reason!

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

In response to antibody's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I won't comment until all posters have had the opportunity to provide one reason that they think is a good and valid reason.

Just to tick you off, I'm sure.

Ha!  AB, I didn't read any responses and then ran into yours .... JUST before mine.   That's funny.

Funnier still is that I had to re-post it because the first one was removed. :)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Why Did Tim Wakefield Start Game 1 of the 2004 World Series? Give Me One Good Reason!

I won't comment until all posters have had the opportunity to provide one reason that they think is a good and valid reason.

Ha!  AB, I didn't read any responses and then ran into yours .... JUST before mine.   That's funny.

Softy's getting touchy.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Softy's getting touchy.

Touchy... or touched?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I can see the argument for starting Pedro or Arroyo, but we got the win. 

Yes, but it's important to learn from mistakes in wins, just as it's important not to overreact to bad moments in losses.

I want this management team to be more professional when it comes to making player playing time decisions and player acquisition and retention decisions.

Wakefield represented all that was wrong with managment decision making.

I'd have probably gone with Pedro, but Wake in game 4, so I do not think it was a huge mistake. Letting all the top starters get that extra day's rest helped lessen "the mistake" to a point where I wouldn't be starting a thread about it 8+ years later.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I can see the argument for starting Pedro or Arroyo, but we got the win. 

Yes, but it's important to learn from mistakes in wins, just as it's important not to overreact to bad moments in losses.

I want this management team to be more professional when it comes to making player playing time decisions and player acquisition and retention decisions.

Wakefield represented all that was wrong with managment decision making.

I'd have probably gone with Pedro, but Wake in game 4, so I do not think it was a huge mistake. Letting all the top starters get that extra day's rest helped lessen "the mistake" to a point where I wouldn't be starting a thread about it 8+ years later.

Since Pedro wasn't going to go 1-4-7 in some ways it made more sense to set the rotation so that Schill and Pedro were available for games 6-7.  After the Sox won game 1 with Wake they were in a dominating position as far as the rotations went for the rest of the series with Schill/Pedro going 4-6 games.  Maybe Tito thought Pedro was a better option for pitching away from Fenway?

It all worked out perfectly which is probably why we are second guessing it 3,100 days later.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't know about Pedey is game 1.  His little moonlight in game 7 of the ALCS was enough (bad) pitches that it made him questionable to be top form for a start a few days later.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I have no idea why the Cardinals started Woody Williams (of all pitchers) to start the opener of the World Series.   LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I don't know about Pedey is game 1.  His little moonlight in game 7 of the ALCS was enough (bad) pitches that it made him questionable to be top form for a start a few days later.

Yes, Pedro has had a history of running a little out of gas in October.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Pedro wasn't held back until game 3 so he could be rested and effective, he was held out b/c of a massive organizational conspiracy to give Tim Wakefield preferential treatment. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Thesemenarecowards' comment:

Pedro wasn't held back until game 3 so he could be rested and effective, he was held out b/c of a massive organizational conspiracy to give Tim Wakefield preferential treatment. 

It's the only possible answer.

Wake must have had some dirt on Henry.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

OK the real reason he started game 1 was becasue he had bad eye sight and Fran-Coma knew there was going to be a Lunar Eclipse during game 4...Yes this is a stupid anwser to a stupid post

The real question is why did Fran-Coma keep running Wake out every 5 days during Aug and Sept of 2011 to try and get him his 200th win.  That is what cost us that season and Fran-Coma his job.  Not Chicken and beer!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Tomhab's comment:

OK the real reason he started game 1 was becasue he had bad eye sight and Fran-Coma knew there was going to be a Lunar Eclipse during game 4...Yes this is a stupid anwser to a stupid post

The real question is why did Fran-Coma keep running Wake out every 5 days during Aug and Sept of 2011 to try and get him his 200th win.  That is what cost us that season and Fran-Coma his job.  Not Chicken and beer!

Yeah right!  Timmy put up that 7-20 record all on his own LOL

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

This thread has exceeded my wildest dreams. Wakefield exceeded my worst nightmares. When he pitched, impending doom was always just a few seconds away.

Wait.......you dream about your threads???        AWKWARRRRRRRRRRD........

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I always thought it was the right move.  The Sox had just shown they could come back against anybody, so why not start Wakefield and set up the rest of the rotation?   To say nothing of the fact that it worked. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

This thread has exceeded my wildest dreams. Wakefield exceeded my worst nightmares. When he pitched, impending doom was always just a few seconds away.

Wait.......you dream about your threads???        AWKWARRRRRRRRRRD........

Not when you consider that he has a back-up drive full of posts.  

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts