Why didn't the Red Sox trade Uehara?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Why didn't the Red Sox trade Uehara?

They traded virtually all of their other impending free agents, and I have to think that teams would have been interested in Uehara too. Why did Cherington choose to retain him? Do the Red Sox plan on re-signing him?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: Why didn't the Red Sox trade Uehara?

In response to davidap's comment:

They traded virtually all of their other impending free agents, and I have to think that teams would have been interested in Uehara too. Why did Cherington choose to retain him? Do the Red Sox plan on re-signing him?

I would think so

then again like bill said they still have a couple of days

although last I heard Bcash was blocking everyone

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was for trading all our free agents to be, including Uehara, back in July, unless we were sure that by keeping them, we would extend or re-sign them.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

His recent struggles have probably lowered the chances of a Q.O. next year. But they may still try to re-sign him for less.

Stabbed by Foulke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Time for Red Sox to shut down Koji Uehara for season

By Peter Abraham | GLOBE STAFF AUGUST 26, 20Closer Koji Uehara has allowed seven runs in his last four outings.

TORONTO — The Red Sox traded off Felix Doubront, John Lackey, Jon Lester, Andrew Miller, and Jake Peavy in July, decimating their pitching staff but embarking on the necessary work of rebuilding.

Whether it was necessary to trade Lester makes for a good debate, but the Red Sox chose their path and acted decisively.

But they retained 39-year-old closer Koji Uehara, turning aside opportunities to deal a player who would have been a valuable chip on the trade market. Most contending teams, even those with closers in place, would have had interest in a late-inning reliever like Uehara.

General manager Ben Cherington has since explained the Red Sox value Uehara and would like to retain him for next season.

That’s a reasonable position. Cherington badly stumbled when he acquired closers Andrew Bailey and Joel Hanrahan on the trade market and was fortunate Uehara emerged like he did last season. Why give that up, or risk making another bad trade?

But if the Red Sox intend for Uehara to be their closer in 2015, he should stop pitching now.

Counting the postseason, Uehara has appeared in 145 games over the last two seasons and nearly all of those were high-leverage, high-stress situations. Among major leaguers, only teammate Junichi Tazawa — 11 years younger — has pitched as often.

Uehara has been magnificent, but the burden is starting to show. In his last four outings, he has given up seven runs on 10 hits over 3⅓ innings with one walk and a hit batter. Opponents are 10 for 20 against him with five extra-base hits.

On Monday, John Farrell put Uehara in with the bases loaded, one out, and the Sox leading the Toronto Blue Jays by three runs. He got a ground ball to get the second out as the Sox gave up a run. Then Edwin Encarnacion hit a hanging splitter off the fence in left for a game-tying double. The ball was crushed.

Uehara escaped further damage and the Sox came back to win the game in 10 innings.

Afterward, Farrell said the Sox haven’t considered shutting Uehara down, but wouldn’t rule it out. The pitcher said fatigue wasn’t a factor, but did admit that he wasn’t “finishing” his pitches. That’s pitcher talk for not being able to follow through enough to give your pitches the necessary action or location.

In other words, he’s tired.

Of course he is. Uehara has thrown 148 innings the last two seasons. In the two seasons prior to that, he threw 103⅓. For a reliever, that’s a huge jump.

Uehara has had shoulder issues in the past, with the latest incident coming in April when the Sox were forced to shut him down for a week. Continuing to use him in meaningless games is folly.

Uehara worked an extra month last season. Now give him September off and hope he returns to spring training refreshed and ready to go. The Sox can use Edward Mujica and Heath Hembree as their closers. What’s the worst that could happen — they finish in last place?

Given the way Uehara has been pitching, the Sox could actually benefit in the short term while assessing what Hembree can give them.

The Sox should consider the same, perhaps on a lesser scale, for Tazawa. With 31 games left, he should pitch maybe once or twice a week.

If the idea is to get ready for next season, then embrace it by giving worn-out pitchers some rest. What is the point of wanting to keep Uehara unless you’re going to take care of him?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

His recent struggles have probably lowered the chances of a Q.O. next year. But they may still try to re-sign him for less.

Stabbed by Foulke.

I'm not sure he'd have gotten a QO, even if he finished strong. $15M for a closer is astonomical, although it's just a 1 year deal. It would have been a close call. 

I was thinking we might have extended him at $17M/2, but after his recent struggles, I'm not sure 2 years is in the works.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we do plan on bringing Uehhara back, he should be shut down. The problem is the lingering doubt that an injury may be the root of his struggles... not fatigue.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

I'm not sure he'd have gotten a QO, even if he finished strong. $15M for a closer is astonomical, although it's just a 1 year deal. It would have been a close call. 

I was thinking we might have extended him at $17M/2, but after his recent struggles, I'm not sure 2 years is in the works.

Moon, it's been reported he would be offered one, which is why he wasn't on the trading block. Looks to me, when he gets hit, he's leaving his pitches up, which is a sign he's tired.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to davidap's comment:

Why do you now ask why not trade Uehara? What bothers me my is the after the fact jakes who come out when thing go bad.If Uehara had been lights out again. Your stupid post would not have made it this far.

you cool with those of us who wanted to trade him beforehand? cool.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I wanted to trade Uehara back in July, but I'm not going to complain that we kept him.  I do think we need a strong set up guy with closer potential next year.  Someone who can set-up for Koji but be good enough to step in as closer.  I think the Sox should make a run at either bringing back Miller or going after Robertson.  Unless of course they think one of their top pitching prospects could potentially close.

In the absence of signing a late inning reliever this off season you would think that they'd have moved someone at the pen by now to give them a good look so my guess is they will sign a set/up closer this off season. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I didnt understand why Koi was not traded but Miller was...seemed like AM was next in line and worth exploring as a long term closer 

As always - 100% correct!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Certainly we should question why he wasn't moved.  But, just because he wasn't doesn't mean he wasn't shopped.  Might could be that the market for a 39 year old reliever with already questioned durability wasn't that robust, even as a rental.  Would a bag of balls been enough of a return?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

I didnt understand why Koi was not traded but Miller was...seemed like AM was next in line and worth exploring as a long term closer 

Apparently, the Sox plan on offering Koji a QO, Geo.  Miller is a FA this year, and wants a multi year deal. He also brought the best trade return. They could still resign Miller.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

Apparently, the Sox plan on offering Koji a QO, Geo.  Miller is a FA this year, and wants a multi year deal. He also brought the best trade return. They could still resign Miller.

I want to say I also heard somewhere that the Sox were optimistic they could resign Miller, where they felt more comfortable retaining Koji if they didn't trade him. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Does it really matter? They stink and won't get any better this year - why trade a guy who, for the most part, has been great for them while he's been here?

Nothing like RS fans to come unglued by a bad year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

Moon, it's been reported he would be offered one, which is why he wasn't on the trading block. Looks to me, when he gets hit, he's leaving his pitches up, which is a sign he's tired.  

True. I do think he's just tired, but often times when a great player suddenly is struggling, we find out later (sometimes much later: see Lackey) there was an injury.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Time for Red Sox to shut down Koji Uehara for season

By Peter Abraham | GLOBE STAFF AUGUST 26, 20Closer Koji Uehara has allowed seven runs in his last four outings.

TORONTO — The Red Sox traded off Felix Doubront, John Lackey, Jon Lester, Andrew Miller, and Jake Peavy in July, decimating their pitching staff but embarking on the necessary work of rebuilding.

Whether it was necessary to trade Lester makes for a good debate, but the Red Sox chose their path and acted decisively.

But they retained 39-year-old closer Koji Uehara, turning aside opportunities to deal a player who would have been a valuable chip on the trade market. Most contending teams, even those with closers in place, would have had interest in a late-inning reliever like Uehara.

General manager Ben Cherington has since explained the Red Sox value Uehara and would like to retain him for next season.

That’s a reasonable position. Cherington badly stumbled when he acquired closers Andrew Bailey and Joel Hanrahan on the trade market and was fortunate Uehara emerged like he did last season. Why give that up, or risk making another bad trade?

But if the Red Sox intend for Uehara to be their closer in 2015, he should stop pitching now.

Counting the postseason, Uehara has appeared in 145 games over the last two seasons and nearly all of those were high-leverage, high-stress situations. Among major leaguers, only teammate Junichi Tazawa — 11 years younger — has pitched as often.

Uehara has been magnificent, but the burden is starting to show. In his last four outings, he has given up seven runs on 10 hits over 3⅓ innings with one walk and a hit batter. Opponents are 10 for 20 against him with five extra-base hits.

On Monday, John Farrell put Uehara in with the bases loaded, one out, and the Sox leading the Toronto Blue Jays by three runs. He got a ground ball to get the second out as the Sox gave up a run. Then Edwin Encarnacion hit a hanging splitter off the fence in left for a game-tying double. The ball was crushed.

Uehara escaped further damage and the Sox came back to win the game in 10 innings.

Afterward, Farrell said the Sox haven’t considered shutting Uehara down, but wouldn’t rule it out. The pitcher said fatigue wasn’t a factor, but did admit that he wasn’t “finishing” his pitches. That’s pitcher talk for not being able to follow through enough to give your pitches the necessary action or location.

In other words, he’s tired.

Of course he is. Uehara has thrown 148 innings the last two seasons. In the two seasons prior to that, he threw 103⅓. For a reliever, that’s a huge jump.

Uehara has had shoulder issues in the past, with the latest incident coming in April when the Sox were forced to shut him down for a week. Continuing to use him in meaningless games is folly.

Uehara worked an extra month last season. Now give him September off and hope he returns to spring training refreshed and ready to go. The Sox can use Edward Mujica and Heath Hembree as their closers. What’s the worst that could happen — they finish in last place?

Given the way Uehara has been pitching, the Sox could actually benefit in the short term while assessing what Hembree can give them.

The Sox should consider the same, perhaps on a lesser scale, for Tazawa. With 31 games left, he should pitch maybe once or twice a week.

If the idea is to get ready for next season, then embrace it by giving worn-out pitchers some rest. What is the point of wanting to keep Uehara unless you’re going to take care of him?

A smart manager would have shut down Uehara  a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, the SOX have Farrell.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Btw, I still find it hard to believe  Farrell was actually a pitching coach. Of course, you can put  any title one wants on a slug and it's still a slug.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we traded Uehara we might be in line for the 8th draft pick instead of the 5th or 6th.

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If we traded Uehara we might be in line for the 8th draft pick instead of the 5th or 6th.

Sox4ever

you think we would win more games if we traded Uehara???

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Why do you now ask why not trade Uehara? What bothers me my is the after the fact jakes who come out when thing go bad.If Uehara had been lights out again. Your stupid post would not have made it this far.

I wondered it at the time of the trade deadline too. Yes, his recent struggles bring it into question again, but I'm not upset that they didn't trade him. I'm curious as to the reason. Evidently, Cherington plans to bring him back for 1 year/$15 million.

Sections
Shortcuts