Why do people think Dan Duquette is responsible for the success of the Orioles?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Why do people think Dan Duquette is responsible for the success of the Orioles?

In Response to Why do people think Dan Duquette is responsible for the success of the Orioles?:
    Their team was built by Andy McPhail, but Duquette seems to be getting all the accolades for Baltimore's winning record this season, just as Theo gets the lion's share of the credit for 2004 when that team was largely the result of Duquette's work. Go figure......
    Posted by davetheknave

you answered your own question...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Why do people think Dan Duquette is responsible for the success of the Orioles?

He just called up a rookie that the Sox would have left on the farm for another 3 years. They also found the rookie a new position, unlike Boston who refused to play Middlebrooks in LF or RF rather instead choosing to push AGon out there and eventually trade Youk becuase their was no spot for him on the field.

I like Dan.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Why do people think Dan Duquette is responsible for the success of the Orioles?:
    Their team was built by Andy McPhail, but Duquette seems to be getting all the accolades for Baltimore's winning record this season, just as Theo gets the lion's share of the credit for 2004 when that team was largely the result of Duquette's work. Go figure......
    Posted by davetheknave

More than half the team was Theo's so can we dispel the myth that the 2004 was largely Duquette's team. Yes, Manny and Pedro were Dan's, but that's balanced by Ortiz and Schilling being Theo's.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Why do people think Dan Duquette is responsible for the success of the Orioles?:
    In Response to Re: Why do people think Dan Duquette is responsible for the success of the Orioles? : Thats Baseball !!!!   Been going on since the days of old !!
    Posted by Bill-806

So Bill, which of DD's moves for the Orioles do you think have made a key difference this year?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

It's a classic case of a GM getting too much credit for the results.  If the O's were under .500 would people be calling for his head on a platter?  Probably not, because he just got there.  That being said, I always liked Duquette and thought he was run out of Boston a little early.  He had a lot to do with the '04 team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Why do people think Dan Duquette is responsible for the success of the Orioles?:
    In Response to Why do people think Dan Duquette is responsible for the success of the Orioles? : More than half the team was Theo's so can we dispel the myth that the 2004 was largely Duquette's team. Yes, Manny and Pedro were Dan's, but that's balanced by Ortiz and Schilling being Theo's.
    Posted by royf19

Damon signing, Varitek-Wakefield for Slocumb, Mirabelli for Duscherer, 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Why do people think Dan Duquette is responsible for the success of the Orioles? : Damon signing, Varitek-Wakefield for Slocumb, Mirabelli for Duscherer, 
    Posted by dannycater

I didn't go through the entire list because I did this before. Yes, Duquette had those. THat's balanced then tilted in Theo's favor by the fact that the entire starting infield was Theo's, the entire bullpen, including Foulke was Theo's, the bench was all Theo's and Bronson Arroyo was Theo's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Just the facts, roy, just the facts...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

no, i agree. Theo put the team over the top by getting Foulke, getting Cabrera when he did, and oh this will kill all the BV lovers---putting Francona in charge.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

no, i agree. Theo put the team over the top by getting Foulke, getting Cabrera when he did, and oh this will kill all the BV lovers---putting Francona in charge.
    Posted by dannycater

Yeah. I certainly give Duquette is due with 2004 team because he was responsible for many key players. My issue always was with those who want to give all the credit to Dan when if you put players of equal ability side-by-side, the balance eventually tilts toward Theo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He just called up a rookie that the Sox would have left on the farm for another 3 years. They also found the rookie a new position, unlike Boston who refused to play Middlebrooks in LF or RF rather instead choosing to push AGon out there and eventually trade Youk becuase their was no spot for him on the field. I like Dan.
    Posted by EnchiladaT

Switching a SS to a 3B is a little different than putting a 3B in RF. Frankly, the Sox got lucky Gonzalez played as well as he did out there. Personally, I don’t mind a little position stability for the younger guys, who have enough on their plate as it is.

But let’s not pretend the Sox have never tried a rookie in a new position. Kevin Youkilis never played 1B before Boston. They also tried Lars Anderson in the OF this year, and not because of his vast experience in the minors. They needed an OF, he was on the 40-man, and he had more offensive potential than any of the other options they had not already tried.

In fact, one could argue that the reason the Orioles are trying Machado at 3B might speak more about their inability to find anyone else who could play the position. They didn’t start the season thinking “Don’t worry about 3B. We can put Machado there is mid-August if need be.” They did give up on Josh Bell fairly quickly, giving him some 220ABs over 2 years. Certainly, giving up on him was not DD’s fault, but not finding an adequate replacement better than journeyman Wilson Betemit certainly is…

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

Dah DD is the GM and where are the Orioles? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Dan is at least smart enough to come in there and add a player here and a player there to make it work. HOF broadcaster Jim Palmer thinks that Dan has done a great job, so do I. Cherington on the other hand is a joke, I am sick of BV being blamed for the lack of performance of the overpaid Red Sox players. Take out the 14-1 blowouts and they , as hitters stink, Gonzo included. Crawford gets a few hits , finally and he jumps on the hate Valentine bandwagon.

I hope CC keeps hitting, and they can trade his sorry azz. Clean house, Pedey included, that sawed off runt is a big disruption in the press, what's he done this year by the way? Ortiz , haven't heard him talk about being disrespected , lately. Oh that would be becuse he's old and can't walk. Primadonna's by the truck load.

It wouldn't be so bad if they would keep their mouths shut, let everyone use the injury card, but no they blame Valentine. Shut the F... up and play baseball.

Sections
Shortcuts