Why do Sox do these things?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Why do Sox do these things?

Instead of signing Silva, Cook, and Padilla, why didn't the Sox save that 3 to 4 million and give Oswalt the 9 to 10 million for one year. I really don't want to hear about the salary cap, the Sox should do the right thing, sign Oswalt and not have offered those three any money at all. If the FO really thinks they are going to catch lighting in a bottle with the three they signed, then I will suggest that either they know something that know something that know one else knows, are hoping to be like the Yankee's in 2011 with Garcia and Colon, or just maybe it's going to be a very long season with just three bonified starters. Now I realize it's only January and alot can and probably will happen in the next few months, but signing three guys who would have trouble making the Pawtucket staff is a little stretch. Let's hope Bard can and will make the transition[but again his innings will be closely monitered], and Doubtront or Aceves or some other young pitcher makes his mark, although at this point I don't see anyone in our system that will help.

Should have given the money to Oswalt and forgot the other three.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Why do Sox do these things?

Peanut, why do you think Oswalt is still out there with his price dropping daily?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

At this point those 3 guys have cost $0.  They're minor league, non guaranteed contracts. They only get paid for the time they spend in the majors (as far as the tax is concerned).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

I can almot guarantee anyone that two of those three will start with the Sox, thus they will be paid bif league money. Remember Smoltz and Peny had pretty much the same deals and they started the season with the Sox.
    Yes maybe by oswalt's not yet signing with anyone that drops his asking price, but again why don't the Sox play the waiting game with him, then sign him when his price gets low enough?
    Now is he healthy and will he be able to help any team, that is probably a question, and probably won't know that until spring training, but some team will step up and sign him, and if healthy he is much better than the three that the Sox signed.
    Wouldn't the Sox just be better off just trying to get their young pitches ready to pitch in Big Leagues, rather than signing over the hill, washed up veterans? Heck in Cook and Silva'x prime they were very average at best, let's not think they are getting better with age.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Why do Sox do these things?:
    [QUOTE]I can almot guarantee anyone that two of those three will start with the Sox, thus they will be paid bif league money. Remember Smoltz and Peny had pretty much the same deals and they started the season with the Sox. Yes maybe by oswalt's not yet signing with anyone that drops his asking price, but again why don't the Sox play the waiting game with him, then sign him when his price gets low enough? Now is he healthy and will he be able to help any team, that is probably a question, and probably won't know that until spring training, but some team will step up and sign him, and if healthy he is much better than the three that the Sox signed. Wouldn't the Sox just be better off just trying to get their young pitches ready to pitch in Big Leagues, rather than signing over the hill, washed up veterans? Heck in Cook and Silva'x prime they were very average at best, let's not think they are getting better with age.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

I don't think siging the Cooks/Silvas/Padillas of the world negates giving the young guns the same shot.  Doubront and Tazawa (and Miller) will be given a good look, no doubt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Yes, perhaps the front office spends money on securing knowledge with their professioning scouts that travel and have eyeball contact and review medical records very carefully. I can't do that from my armchair and besides the FO doesn't pay me $80,000 plus travel expenses to obtain such knowledge. Knowledge is expensive.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]I can almot guarantee anyone that two of those three will start with the Sox, thus they will be paid bif league money. Remember Smoltz and Peny had pretty much the same deals and they started the season with the Sox. Yes maybe by oswalt's not yet signing with anyone that drops his asking price, but again why don't the Sox play the waiting game with him, then sign him when his price gets low enough? Now is he healthy and will he be able to help any team, that is probably a question, and probably won't know that until spring training, but some team will step up and sign him, and if healthy he is much better than the three that the Sox signed. Wouldn't the Sox just be better off just trying to get their young pitches ready to pitch in Big Leagues, rather than signing over the hill, washed up veterans? Heck in Cook and Silva'x prime they were very average at best, let's not think they are getting better with age.

Didn't you see what JB-3 said? These contracts are all minor league contracts...do you know how they work?

These players only get paid the prorated value of the contracts they signed...so even if two of them end up pitching for a month or so for the Sox, it will still only be a minor cost. And if one or more pitches the majority of the season with the Sox, that's a great sign, as it means he/they is/are pitching really well.

As for Smoltz and Penny, those deals aren't at all the same...both were major league, guaranteed contracts, and Smoltz even had an assortment of bonuses (based on how long he was on the active roster, starting June 1st I think). Don't forget, Smoltz started the year injured but was expected to be really good once he got healthy...in fact, if he had spent the entire season from June 1st onward on the active roster, he would have made over $11m. Hardly the same as what we're seeing here...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why do Sox do these things? : And if the Red Sox sign Oswalt for $10 million and can't stay healthy you will be starting another thread during the season entitled 'Why do Sox do these things" where you will rant about Lackey and Clement and giving Schilling the extra year when he was done etc etc etc...yawn
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

We got a winner!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

PeskyPole6, I don't remember mentioning Lackey, Clement, or Schilling. Are you a between the lines reader?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

The issue is that the Red Sox are a wealthy team not a small market team and sometimes you have to be aggressive and bite the bullet and spend money because of injuries that we have suffered with our starters. This is one of those years and they did not even go after Maholmes at all which scared me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Senseless thread.  The only reason why the NYY finished first last year was that they signed Colon and Garcia to similar contracts.  And we signed Aceves to a split contract as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Why do Sox do these things?": [QUOTE]The issue is that the Red Sox are a wealthy team not a small market team and sometimes you have to be aggressive and bite the bullet and spend money because of injuries that we have suffered with our starters. This is one of those years and they did not even go after Maholmes at all which scared me. Posted by AL34[/QUOTE] First of all, you don't know if they went after Maholm or not. Second, the guy has a lifetime 4.36 e.r.a. with a whip over 1.40 pitching in Pittsburgh. He had an e.r.a. over 5 for a full season in 2010 and the Cubs gave him over 4 million in guaranteed money. Some people might say Padilla, Cook and Silvia all have better stuff than he does. This isn't the type of guy I'd ever want to see pitch a playoff game, either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If 2 of the 3 pitch for the Sox, then clearly they were not bad signings.  These depth signings are for when starters get hurt.  Should the Sox sign Oswalt, who takes over if Buchholz goes down?  Oswalt twice?  Or who takes over if Oswalt himself gets hurt?  You need those depth signings as more of a “just in case”.  They have zero impact on whether or not the team signs another starter and more of an impact when the inevitable injuries start to settle in.

As for the younger pitchers, they are getting them ready, but as with any team, most of them won’t be any good.  Everyone always wants to “see what the kids can do” but no one likes it when the kids cannot do anything.  Did Kyle Weiland and his 4-inning exits help this team in any way last year?  And you can’t pin him on the staff “not getting him ready;” they’ve been doing that his whole minor league career.  He, like many others, simply was not very good, at least not right away. 

And Smoltz and Penny did NOT have the same deals.  Both of them received major league contracts from the Sox and were going to get their money regardless of performance.  Cook, Silva, etc. only get their money if they prove they are capable of earning it.  There is a HUGE difference.  Also, don’t forget, neither pitcher is guaranteed to get the call if a pitcher is needed.  So if someone goes down and creates an opening in the rotation, the Sox are not obligated to recall Cook or Silva. If one of the minor league minimum guys, like Wilson or Tazawa, is doing better, he can be called up instead.  This just gives the Sox more options when they need them most.

I also think you underestimate Aaron Cook, who is actually a pretty good pitcher and, if he is actually healthy for once, could be a very solid addition to this team.  A healthy Cook would easily take the fifth starter spot in Spring Training, but he has been slowed by injuries the last couple seasons.  With him, it’s more of a gamble on his health, and if he doesn’t pan out, he can opt out on either May 1 or June 1 and in that case, will cost the Sox $20K per month, which is the Luxury Tax Equivalent of peanuts, as your moniker should tell you…

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Another BDC regular who is a " Man of the Cloth" like Since Yaz. What better Christ-Like trait to tolerate and to forgive all of the obvious trolls for wasting everyone's time and effort of hours.  See no Evil, speak no Evil. say no Evil - just let the trolls overtake the forum and let the pieces fall randomly. If matters not at all that trolls are licensed to waste, fool, tease, iritate, and fool innocent people.  The enablers are really just as guilty as the trolls.  A real Man of the Church would come out swinging and not enabling.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Sorry, but you have your crusade and I have mine.

I'm on the Anti-Egomaniacal Idiot Crusade. I couldn't care less about who is trolling or anything about all the Message Board McCarthyism.

Trying to clear trolls of the internet is like trying to get the salt out of the ocean.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Oswalt once upon a time was said to be considering retirement and never wanted to leave Houston. Now they say he wants a one year deal so he can show how good he is and then ink a longer deal next winter. How things change.

The last place Oswalt should want tp pitch for his last big contract would be the AL East. His numbers would look better in say Detroit, or San Diego.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Is there any news today about Yankee arbitration? Since the forum is half Yankee fans and Red Sox fans, we are all waiting to hear any Yankee news. Please proceed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Why not spend a few minutes per day Pinstripe reading about the Yankees and getting a feeling from Yankee forums about their feelings? Is that atypical for a Yankee fan?

You are in the wrong church and wrong pew - not me.

Only ten Yankee fans nationwide live in a Red Sox forum

You are one of them - proud of being such a misfit??

We belong here - you don't.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Why do Sox do these things?": [QUOTE]Why not spend a few minutes per day Pinstripe reading about the Yankees and getting a feeling from Yankee forums about their feelings? Is that atypical for a Yankee fan? You are in the wrong church and wrong pew - not me. Only ten Yankee fans nationwide live in a Red Sox forum You are one of them - proud of being such a misfit?? We belong here - you don't. Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE] Come on, Utica, you're definitely better than this. Zac and Jessey seem like good posters, regardless of their allegiance. I'd rather have some solid banter with those guys than the trolls, Debbie Downers, fans who just post without ever reading other posts where they could learn something, or the "blamers" who are negative by nature....get back to baseball insight, you have it in you...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]. Remember Smoltz and Peny had pretty much the same deals and they started the season with the Sox. .

Sometimes people just get history so wrong...

Smoltz got 5.5 mil and Penny for 5.0 mil neither wereminor league deals
    Smoltz 42 wanted to pitch the Braves said no The RS after the injury year of 2008 had hoped he could pitch as he did 2007 with a 3.11 ERA. He found out with the RS and St L at 42 he was done.

Penny was coming off a injury year as well the RS were hoping he could pitch as he did in 2007 and 2006 when he won 32 games with 200 innings each year. However he proved he was a NL pitcher not a ALE pitcher as he in the next two years averaged a 3.00 ERA then back to the AL Tigers and a 5.30 ERA. Penny can pitch just not in the AL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Peanut, why do you think Oswalt is still out there with his price dropping daily?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

You could also ask why Fielder is still out there.
    We tried to wait on Kuroda, we know how that turned out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The accountants are on the loose again!

Sections
Shortcuts